Badger

Badger

A Story by RoxyMonoxide
"

Two middle eastern school girls show insubordination while engaging in a discussion about God instigated by their teacher, who they disrespect,

"

Walking through a labyrinth-like Medina two young girls chatter amicably as light plays about the mosaics and glass fronted shops as they go. Meandering past lofty heights and looked down upon by elderly overseers they make their way towards the school building.

 

On reaching it the slightly older girl, Mya, receives a glower of disapproval from the teacher.

           

            'You are late. Again. This will not stand'.

 

Her friend, Angela, is quick however.

 

            'No sir, you are early'.

 

            'Insubordination'.

 

Quite, thinks Mya to herself.

 

            'But really sir' continues young Angela 'the moon is still in the sky this morning, and the dog star is just there. See it?'.

 

            'Stop now' comes the command, and whilst the rest of the class file in and arrange themselves around the room accordingly, the teacher writes out in elegant hand some message on the board.

 

'In man we trust

In God we believe'

 

The brightest children have read and digested this almost before it was finished being written, but that is not the teacher’s objective in writing this prosaic phrase.  A discussion ensues.

 

            Young boy: Does that mean we can't trust God?

           

            Younger boy: Stupid.

           

            Girl : Does it mean we can't believe in man?

 

            Older Girl: It means man is not God.

 

            Teacher: It can mean all those things.

 

Throughout this exchange Mya and Angela have been casting furtive glances at one another and suppressing the giggles. The teacher, after having written his message, had brushed his hands through his hair and white chalk had given his black hair highlights.

 

Angela mouthed the word 'Badger' at her friend. That was too much. Mya cracked up and was immediately dismissed from class.

 

21/05/16

© 2019 RoxyMonoxide


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

126 Views
Added on January 24, 2019
Last Updated on January 24, 2019
Tags: short story, middle east, school girls, god, school, classroom, insubordination, atheism

Author

RoxyMonoxide
RoxyMonoxide

London, United Kingdom



About
Unemployed bum with a love of politics- socalista, feminist, all that good stuff. more..

Writing