Before You

Before You

A Poem by Nihad Dweidary

Before you there were wide oceans
Rivers, lakes, and it often rained.
There were sunrise, sunset
and God ruled as he always does.
Before you lovers kissed,
and butterflies fluttered
over boundless plains,
and followed earthly scent.
Before you waterfalls descended
from cliffs perched over landscapes,
and the water found its place
in the softness of the sands.
Before you there was cold,
heat, and all colors of the fall.
There were laughter, smiles,
and artists knew how to tweak their colors.
Before you women found men
and men fought wars for women,
and there were victories and children.
Before you beauty had many colors
and I was color-blind until
There was you.


© 2012 Nihad Dweidary


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Beautiful writing... A Love poem is a love poem, and rarely does it take shape into something so filed with imagery. Of course, being the ever inquisitive sort I want to know more about this "you". She/It/Etc. sounds likea worthy Muse for such a piece. So often we find ourselves in a world devoid of that spark... we often don't know it's missing until we find it and suddenly the skies open up and the world is a completely different place.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Before you women found men
and men fought wars for women,
and there were victories and children.
Before you beauty had many colors
and I was color-blind until
There was you.

Simply amazing wording here, love the whole write. This is so nicely written and presented

Posted 2 Years Ago


This is a lovely piece Nihad! It reminds me of a translation of a poem " before you came" by the inimtable Pakistani poet Faiz Ahmed Faiz (translated from urdu by Agha Shahid Ali).

Posted 8 Years Ago


this piece had a very powerful meaning, though I am not very good at poetry, but as I understand it will angle it. the things which were positive;
the title was good made me to have a look at least.
the theme was great, the most attracting and alluring part in the poem
the style was good, you kind of used free verse and I liked the way you addressed the addresse by using Before you, and then you added what is now missing because of her. at first I thought it was only one woman, but then you called them all out.

Weak points;
I don't know many things I have read here are about love, woman, ok that is fine but tell another thing, or another side of the story, why you are always blaming the opposite sex, for once oppose yourself, male. the themes are all repeated, only the form or the imageries are differ. I will be honest with you though it was good and had great positive points but still is not that special, still it is not powerful, till the time being I have not been surprised by any work. unfortunately including this. it is as usual as all the others on this site. I review it becuase we all need frank words, and mine are always are. again it is good as others, but people are belleful of normality, of good, they want something outstanding and special, something to abide and tolerate everything, something to endure all the barriers. the other reviewers are all free to tell you what they have to say, but I don't want to be rude, but I don't imitate to please you. the one who makes you cry is the true friend not the one who makes yuo laugh. best luck and sorry for being long.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Beautiful writing... A Love poem is a love poem, and rarely does it take shape into something so filed with imagery. Of course, being the ever inquisitive sort I want to know more about this "you". She/It/Etc. sounds likea worthy Muse for such a piece. So often we find ourselves in a world devoid of that spark... we often don't know it's missing until we find it and suddenly the skies open up and the world is a completely different place.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A very nice and well written poem. I really enjoyed this one...:)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Before you, there was no you; and I am ever grateful that there is a you - now! I have missed the fluidity of your soul, the words that soothe as gentle ocean waves. You're a beautiful being.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Before there was all.... ;) all their was... this was so well spelled... a lifetime journey from also here a travelers mind... I wonder what was there before, and when we are done, for the future is always in before.... visons of high speed :) nice nice, my friend, such a philosophical pearl. You have a knack for visualisations, and richness in beauty.

- Elisa

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

to be totally honest (high-minded), the title wasn't encouraging and I wasn't sure about either taking the risque to read your poem or just let it pass by. Now I can only blame myself for hesitating. This is an amazing piece of work, simple yet striking, flowing yet meaningful. Sometimes it is just so staggering how one person can turn our lives head over heels. I adore the very two last lines. : )

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

774 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 3, 2012
Last Updated on October 3, 2012
Tags: Romance, Love, Nature

Author

Nihad Dweidary
Nihad Dweidary

Pacific Grove, CA



About
""This poem is like looking at a photograph, taken in the very earliest days of photography, and seeing love in the unsmiling faces and too-bright eyes that were so common in such photos. The poem see.. more..

Writing
Chase Chase

A Poem by Nihad Dweidary



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Couplet~ Couplet~

A Poem by lightsong