Beaten Bloody

Beaten Bloody

A Story by Rusteesgirl
"

Just wrote it to write

"

Chapter 1





    Why do you do it? What have I done that was so bad that it would lead to this? You knew I was part of the package you can't get rid of me or Parker. I will always be here and one day I'll be able to stand up to you and show you. I will show you why you need to back off. It will be something you can't forget. It will burn in the back of your mind so every time you think about doing it again, you'll shutter. I will be the cause of your nightmares instead of you causing mine.

    I heard someone coming up the stairs so I quickly shut my journal. My little three-and-a-half-year old brother, Parker, knocked on the door then poked his tiny head in.

Em-Em-Em-Emma for d-d-dinner,” he stuttered out softly using my nick name because he wouldn't say my entire actual name

    “Okay, thank you, honey. Come give me a love really fast.” He ran as fast as his little legs could take him and jumped happily into my lap, his little bleach blond curls in his eyes. I smiled. This is the only reason I remain in one piece; the only reason I stand strong is for this little boy.

    “So how was day care today honey? Did you play with Isabel?”

Yes-s-s we went on the sl-l-l-lid-de.” By now I’d gotten used to Parker’s stuttering. That was only a minor case compared to his asthma, ADD and dyslexia. That didn’t seem to stop him, though. He worked as hard as he could and he was a bright kid. He sure wasn’t an A+ student but he made it by.

    “Is that all you guys did?” He shook his head.

N-n-n-o, we al-l-lso wen-nt-t on-n the…” He look over my shoulder out the window something was distracting him. I noticed him looking at the park across the street, with all the little kids playing. I let out a small sigh and quickly picked him up. He let out a high-pitched giggle.

    “What’s so funny?” I asked while starting to walk down the stairs. Slowly, but most definitely, my lungs began to fill with the horrid smell of smoke and alcohol. I began to gag and choke on the smell alone.

    “Y-y-you,” he giggled with a wide smile. He’d gotten used to the smell by now. I was still amazed he could be down here for hours at a time. All I could manage was a weak smile in return. When I got downstairs, I noticed no one was there. I found a steaming box of half-eaten pizza that smelt like someone dumped beer all over it. I ignored it, knowing Collin had brought it home expecting us to eat it. I curved around the table and straight to refrigerator. I opened it and saw very little, most of which had gone bad. So I set Parker down and squatted down to his level.

    “I need you to do something very important for me honey. You can’t get distracted. Promise,” I said while holding out my pinky. He nodded his little head excitedly and stuck his pinky in mine. So I continued. “I need you to go get your shoes on.” He turned and darted to the door and sat down I knew he’d need a minute to figure it out. I turned and headed up the stairs back to my room. I went to my life’s saving, I’d learned really well how to hold on to my money. I had nearly seven hundred and fifty dollars. I did everything in my power to earn that money: I mowed lawns, babysat, and worked in the stable a couple blocks down. I grabbed five dollars, my jacket, and cowboy boots and head back down stairs. I went and sat on the couch to put my boots on. Parker ran up with a smile from ear to ear.

    “I-I-I g-got my sh-sh-shoes-s.”

    “Oh, you’re such a good boy,” I said with a gentle smile. I picked him up and headed out the door. Before I even made it out the door and down the stairs of our tiny trashy apartment, Parker began squirm until I couldn’t hold him any longer.

    “You stay close, got it?” I said in a firm voice. I put him down gently, being careful as if he could break on contact with the ground. He started walking and humming getting distracted by every crack and flower along the way. He found a little dandelion growing out of the sidewalk crack and picked it, staring at if for a moment, then held it up to me to take.

    “F-f-f-for y-y-you.” Just the kind, sweet, little gesture like this always makes me get a warm feeling in my stomach. I can’t ever think of a time when I regret taking this little boy in as my own. It was moments like this I live for.

    “Why thank you young sir, how could I ever repay you?” I asked dramatically taking the flower and putting in behind my ear. He put his sticky, pudgy finger on his cheek and smiled. I bent over and gave him a little peck on the cheek.

    We slowly made it to the up town grocery store hand in hand. As soon as we walked in Parker squealed with delight, finally figuring out what we were doing. He ran rather fast to the donut section. By time I’d caught up with him he’d already had his eye on the one he wanted. He was just like his father, he loved sticky buns.

    “Th-that one,” he said while pointing at the last of the sticky buns for the day.

Good pick. Do you want orange juice or apple juice?”

    “A-a-apple.”

    “Apple sounds like a good choice today.” We went and grabbed a small bottle of apple juice and can of root beer. I went to the cash register to pay. We then went outside and sat on the bench. Something me and my real dad would always do, eat sticky buns on the bench with root beer.

    My real dad died less than two year ago when he got blown up in the army. He was blown to pieces when the tank he was in was bombed. We did a closed casket funeral because he was so ripped and blown apart. After my mom went into a grieving stage and never really come out of it. She married my stepdad, Collin, only a year and a half after mine and Parker’s dad died. My mom had talked about Collin adopting Parker and I. Every time she brought it up I could only say one thing, too soon. I knew it would always be too soon.

    Collin smokes, drinks, and does way too many drugs. My mom has a job in Fayette and rarely comes home. My dad and I were close; he was practically a single parent. Just like every little girl says, my dad's my super hero. Collin never really cared what we through. He only cared about his real daughter Morgan, from his other marriage, who comes by once in a blue moon when she wants something. Then she was gone in the blink of an eye. He would do anything for her, it doesn’t matter what it takes. It was just a bond you could never have with someone unless you’ve gone through everything with them.

    Parker and I slowly made our way home and when we got there I saw Collin’s truck in the parking lot. The normal sigh of dismay came and we started toward the building.

    “Can we go play?” Parker asked slowly and very spaced out. This shocked me. He’d never been able to say a whole sentence without stuttering.

    “Parker! You didn’t stutter! Good job. Of course we can go play!” His entire face lit up with joy it was like Christmas all over for him with less presents. I was amazed he could do that, and I wanted another reason not to go into that horrible apartment. We crossed the road and went to the playground. He automatically ran to the swings. “P-p-push?”

    “Of course.” He swung and played for about a hour. He was having the time of his life out there. He smiled and giggled the entire time. No matter what happened, Parker wanted to come here. It was his happy place. Afterwards he came and sat on my lap, tuckered out and ready for a nap.

    “G-g-go home?”

    “Yes we may, honey.” I picked him up and began to walk home. Before I even made it to the top of the stars he’d fallen asleep on my shoulder. I walked into our disgusting little apartment. I walked directly into his room and laid him down on his bed. He opened his eyes sleepily.

    “Mommy?” He fell right back to sleep afterwards. I tuck him under the blanket with his little stuffed giraffe I’d given him on this third birthday. I slowly backed out and headed for my room. I opened my door with a smile that instantly faded. I saw a drunken Collin waiting for me.

    “Where were you, young lady?” Collin asked in a demanding slur.

    “Out with Parker.”

    “Who’s Parker and what were you doing with that boy?!?”

    “Parker is my three and a half year old brother,” I hissed hotly at him.

    “You were on a date with your brother,” he yelled in alarm.

    “No.”

***

    I woke up the next day curled up in the comer of the room. My body felt tight and cramped, I stood up slowly. I looked down and lifted up the bottom of my shirt my stomach had black polka dots all over. I turned away from my window at the window in the right hand corner of my room and faced my old white vanity dresser. My left eye was black and swollen shut I tried desperately to open it but it hurt too much. I winced at the pain. This is the furthest he's ever gone.

    I looked down and saw my right leg had bruise on the shin, right on the bone. There was nothing I could do. I grabbed my clothes for day and walked into the bathroom. I slowly got in the shower and turned on the cold water. I let the water run all over my aching body until the pain was unbearable. I jumped out and put on my basketball shorts and tank top. I sat down and just began to cry; life's just feeling a little rough right now. Stop pitying yourself and buck up! Parker needs you. I forgot about him. I jumped up and ran back to my room to look at my alarm clock. It was six thirty. That scared me. I looked around and noticed the damages to my room. There was a dent in the wall just above my light switch next to the door. My grandmother's lamp was also shattered into bitty pieces next to where I had been when I woke up.

    There wasn't a lot I could do at that point. I opened a book I kept under my mattress and opened it to page seventeen. There remained a picture of me and my dad with the few letters he gave me. I let out a sigh of relief and closed the book and hugged it close to me. I saw my dad's face in the back of my mind and smiled. I slipped the book back into it's usual place.

    I went back into the bathroom and started to blow-dry my hair. I went slowly, enjoying the warmth blowing on my shoulders. I slowly got myself ready for the day knowing I had to go and work at the stables. Parker would go to day care and Collin would go get wasted with his friends, the usual summer day. I snooped around until I found some of my mom’s old makeup she left here. Hmm… what one’s the concealer again? I was so worn out, I tried to apply it and it look horrible. I had never needed this advanced of makeup applying skills for something only Collin's done. I gave up washed my face and left down stairs to make Parker breakfast because he’d have to be up soon enough. I looked in the refrigerator and found some eggs that needed to be used. I turned the stove on and slowly cooked them they way he liked. Once the steaming scrambled eggs and ketchup were on a plate cooling off, I went to get Parker. I walked into his room and turned on the light.

    “Hey bud time to go to day care. You can go play with Isabel.” He sat up and rubbed his sleepy eyes. I could tell he did not want to be awake. I went to his dresser and realized I’d forgotten to do his laundry. Oh well we’ll just have to make due. I grabbed his cleanest outfit and quickly dressed him for the day. I bent over to pick him up but then my body reminded I didn't have the strength to do it. “Come on bud, let's go down stairs,” I said holding out my hand. He took a couple of my fingers in his hands and held his stuffed animal in his other arm. We walked down the stairs slowly because Parker wasn't in any hurry to get down there. When we finally made it clear down the stairs he climbed up on one of the chairs and I placed the plate down in front of him.

Hey bud, guess what I made your for breakfast?” I said while I sat down in the chair next to him.

    “What?” he asked, tired and not caring

    “Your favorite: scrambled eggs and ketchup.” He smiled a very tired smile. Then rest his head on my shoulder. “Come on honey you need to eat so you’ll get big and strong like me.” I started to casually fed him, as he ate he began to wake up. I finished getting him ready for the day. It took a lot longer than usual. I’d never had so many difficulties on such a simple tasks. I slipped on my cowboy boots then we headed out the door, we made it about to the end of the street before he began to tire. Knowing I couldn’t carry him to daycare bugged me, it made me feel helpless.

    “Up,” he whined. I couldn’t resist him. I picked him up, but that slowed me down a lot I thought it was bad before just walking. I knew I was going to be late but there just wasn’t anything I could do. This newfound helplessness was irritating. I slowly made my way to the daycare. By the time I dropped him off I was already half an hour late. I half walked half jogged half limped the rest of the way. My legs we’re screaming in protest. I finally made it to the front of the stable. I slipped in to the coatroom then I was caught on the intercom.

    “Emmaree Payne, I need you in my office now,” I heard Mike call over the intercom. I kept my head down and I walked down past all off the horses’ stalls trying not to draw attention. Scared, I walked to Mike’s office and knocked on the partially closed door. I could only see the slim corner of his head.

    “You wanted to see me?” I asked barley audible. I knew I was over an hour late and I couldn’t afford to lose this job. I was ready to beg for my job like it was my life.

    “Yes, come sit.” I walked in and sat. He didn’t even look up from his work. I walked and sat in one of the two chairs in front of his desk, though it was more like falling than sitting. A tiny whimper escaped my mouth before I could stop it but Mike didn’t notice.

    “You’re late.”

    “I know,” I said, ashamed.

    “Why?” he asked while looking over at me. “Again?” he muttered under his breath, probably not meaning for me to hear.

    “I had a few problems at home again. I just need to… Workout. Please don’t fire me I need this job more than anything. I promise I wont be late ever again,” I begged desperately.

Emmaree, do you need the day off?” he asked softly with a touch of concern in his voice.

    “No! No. No. No, I‘m fine really,” I nearly yelled. The last thing I wanted was to be sent back to that place.Please no,” I whispered.

    “Well… How about today you can clean all the tack and I’ll have Annie and Cheyenne take stalls? Will that be easier?” he asked, seeming to compromise. My brain screamed NO! whereas my body said otherwise. I nodded with a hidden smile of appreciation.

    “Thank you.” I got up to go start to work

    “Emmaree, if there's anything I can do to help let me know.”

    No one can help.Thank you so much. I appreciate it.”

    “Any time, Emmaree.”

    I’d never been happier about being one of the top employees here. I cleaned and washed the tack to the best of my abilities so I was slower and didn't have to go home. By the time I was done it was only twelve thirty. I walked back to Mike’s office and poked my head in.

    “Done. What’s next?”

    “You’re done for today,” he replied and by the tone of his voice it wasn’t debatable. “Oh, one more thing,” he said quickly and held out a white envelope.

    “Oh, thank you,” I said with a smile.

    “You’ve earned it, kid.”

    I sighed and turned to go get my jacket. I began walking home slowly as possible. I kept thinking about last night. I knew I’d never be able to forget it. It was a new subject for my nightmares. It was worst than last time. I knew I couldn’t go home. I wandered the streets up town for a while. Everything in me wanted to forget that night. I knew I couldn’t. I needed to talk to someone. Anyone.

    I unintentionally walked the familiar roads, I was so used to roaming at night. I jumped through the crack in the back fence. I ran through the long green backyard to the side of the house where the trees stood firm. I walked to my favorite tree that I found easiest to climb. I tried to climb the tree and slipped several times, cutting up my hands pretty good. The cuts stung and climbing wasn't helping the bruises or aches. Cowgirl up! That’s what my dad said every time I would fall off when we’d ride.

    That’s what made me apply for the job at the stables. My dad would go riding all the time with me when I was younger. He taught me everything I knew about horses. He was the usual most amazing dad you could ask for. He taught me how to climb trees and ride a bike the typical stuff. We didn’t have a nice big stable and house. We had a small comfortable little piece of junk. We barely made it by, but it was fun. It was home. I can’t even try to explain what it was like.

    I made it to the top and I have never felt more satisfaction after climbing a tree. I jumped from the tree to the roof. I walked carefully around the back the four windows. I got to the fifth one which, no matter what the circumstances, was always cracked slightly open. I popped the screen out and slipped my finger under the seal and pried it the window open. I crawled through like some monkey's child, put the screen back, and turned around. I was in a huge bedroom the size of my apartment. I looked around to see if I was the only one in the room and let out a little sigh. I was in a place I felt safe for the moment.

    I went to the laptop and turned it on. I clicked on the icon that said Emmaree, a sign I come here too much. I started to play solitaire, though I’ve never been able to beat it. I played for a half an hour before I heard footsteps coming in my directions. I exited the game and left the laptop opened with the monitor turned off. I hurried and ran to the walk-in closet.

    “Oh shut up, you’re such a liar,” I heard Emmett say. I smiled at his voice. It was such a comfort in itself.

    “No, it’s all true!” It sounded like the new kid from school, but maybe I was wrong. I began to get light head.

    “Well I’ll see you later.”

    “Thanks, see you tomorrow,” the voice said, sounding slightly awkwardly. I heard some rustling and the door creaking open and shut. I heard some movement outside the door and I got up. I started to close the dark closet when my world went black.

***

    The first thing I saw when I woke up was Emmett’s earring. I woke up in Emmett’s big gentle arms. He’d picked me up and was rocking me back and forth on the edge of his bed. His dark hair was soaking wet, his eyes were a soft concerned grayish blue.

    “What happened?” he demanded as soon as I’d opened my good eye. I tried to respond but ended up unable to speak. Before I knew it my body was sobbing uncontrollably. I felt so pathetic falling apart in front of him, but I don’t know what came over me. When I finally found out I didn’t want to admit it. I was scared. End of story. I was scared to go home to my abusive, drug-dealing stepfather. I was scared for Parker. Most of all I was just scared.

    “It’s going to be okay,” Emmett whispered. “This will not happen again.” He spoke hotly. I pushed my face against his sopping wet shirt.

    “Sorry about your shirt,” I managed to say relatively quite, trying to changed the subject.

    “I need to know what happened and I need to know now,” he demanded in a tone I’d never heard. It scared me and I started shaking even though I tried fiercely not to. “Nothing,” I replied.

    “Elizabeth Emmaree Payne, do not start that with me.” He knew I hated when people called me by me first name.

    “It’s a long story…”

    “I’ve go time,” he said confidently standing up and putting me upright on the bed and sitting back down next to me. I let a sigh out, he was as stubborn as a mule just like he’s always been. We met in kindergarten a little boy had pushed me and took my brown crayon. I started crying so Emmett walked up to me and gave me his crayon. At least that’s what my mom said. I had to tell someone so I spilled the beans.

    “Last night I went out with Parker to the grocery store and the park for a while. I came home and he was totally wasted again. He started yelling at me and screaming. I started to screaming back. Screaming lead to swearing at each other. Then he started hitting me. Hitting me so hard. Then the lamp got knocked over. I gave him a little black bruise on his stomach and some how managed to bite the pad off of his thumb. Then he cornered me and kept beating me over and over and over….” I trailed off.

    “THAT RAT! I’M GOING TO KILL HIM,” he yelled standing up.

    “NO!” I yelled, and stood up in front of him.

    “Give me one good reason I shouldn’t go hunt him down right this second and make him regret it look he did you. I mean, it’s not the first time, but look at you. You can barely walk and this is way worst then I last time…”

    “Uh… I don’t know,” I admitted. “I just want to be mature about this whole thing.”

    “A mature person would have talked to someone other than myself, who can really help you, maybe your mother.”

    “Oh!! Yes its so easy to call my mom and say, ‘Oh hey Mom! Yeah, Collin, he's been beating me and he beat me again last night. So I called the cops and now he's in jail. Oh, okay see you later,’” I spat back at him dramatically and sarcastically.

    “Yeah, and that’s real mature. You need to grow up.”

    “That sounds funny coming from you, you’re such a hypocrite,” I hissed. I was really worked up by now. I hurried to leave before I said or did something I would forever regret. I popped the screen out and crawled out the way I came. I didn’t bother turning to put it back. I figured the rich and “mature” boy over there could handle it.

    I started climbing down the way I came, but about half way down my foot slipped. I fell the rest of the way down and face-planted it. I don’t know where or how I summoned the effort to get up. It took me a minute but I did it. I could feel the blood oozing out of the right side of my forehead and my nose. The pain didn’t make much of a difference to the total sum. I started on my way out the back of the fence where I’d come, wiping the blood from my nose on my sleeve.

    “You know you’re gonna need stitches,” I heard the all-too-familiar voice say behind me.

    “I don’t have the time or money for them,” I said while trying to leave. He let out a sigh. I didn't turn around.

    “Come on.”

    “What? No.”

    “Emmaree, don’t be stupid.”

    “Hmm, I seem to be good at that, don’t I?”

    “Emmaree. You need stitches.”

    “Wow, thanks Captain Obvious.”

    “You’re welcome, Lieutenant Sarcasm,” he replied. I turned to look at him then saw him starting to walk toward me. I didn’t get what he was doing. Unexpectedly he threw me over his shoulder and headed for his truck.

    “Emmett,” I said firmly. “Put. Me. Down.” I try to struggle and fight him but I was at an off position and there was nothing I could do.

    “I will… Right after we go see Dr. Anders.”

    “You’re as stubborn as a mule,” I muttered hotly under my breath, but gave up trying to fight him knowing he would win.

    “Did I hear you say something?”

    “Nothing but the obvious, Captain.We got to his little truck and he opened the door and sat me down on the seat. He took off his shirt, turned it inside out, folded it up neatly, and handed it to me. “Okay are we going to have to do this the easy or hard way?”

    I put shirt on my forehead to help stop the blood. “That depends.”

    He gave me a sorry look. “Okay, I’m sorry about what I said. I guess I don’t know what it’s like to be in your position. I should have kept my mouth shut.”

    “Apology accepted. I’m kind of sorry...But not really,” I teased.

    “Apology kind of accepted,” he said with a mocking grin. He turned my legs in then closed the door. He walked around the front of the little black pickup truck. I couldn’t help but smile right then. I just loved our relationship. We were so close. It’s a feeling that you can’t take for granted. He climbed in the driver’s seat and started the truck. “What are you smiling about, shorty?”

    “Nothing.”

    “Yeah right. If I got a dollar for every time I heard you say ‘Nothing,’ I’d have two dollars today alone,” he said sarcastically happy.

    “Well then you’re a rich man.”

    “I’d like to think so.” He turned the radio on to a country station because he knew it was my favorite. It wasn’t until then my cut really started to hurt. I guess before I hadn’t been paying attention to pain or just blocking it out. I felt like something had gotten in there and was causing infection. I gripped the door handle so tight my knuckles started to turned white.

    “Emmaree?”

    “Yeah?” I said in a strained tone.

    “Hold on, we’ll be there in a minute.”

    “Okay.” I felt the little truck accelerate. I tried to concentrate on the music. It did help some but the cut wouldn’t let me forget about it. I began singing along to the music through clenched teeth. It was “Are You Going to Kiss Me or Not?” by Thompson Square. Emmett started to sing along with me and the radio. I gave him a stunned look. I had never in my life heard him sing. He sounded so good and rich, I was shocked.

    “What?” he asked

    “You sing?!”

    “Only on special occasions, you're one who should sing more.”

    “Why?”

    “’Cause you sound so much more....happy.”

    I didn't really know what to think about the last comment so I just smiled and kept singing. We arrived at the hospital faster than expected , just as the last line of the song played.

    “Are you going to kiss me or not,” I sang along trying to distract myself. Emmett looked at me and smiled, I smiled back. He undid his seat belt and came around to open my door. Before I had time to say anything Emmett had me in the marriage carriage and was carrying me in through the emergency room doors while I laid against his bare chest.

    “Believe it or not I know how to walk.”

    “Eh, well you seem tired.”

    I rolled my eyes and sighed. “Emmett, put me down.”

    “Hold on, Little Miss Impatient. Oh look, perfect timing. Dr. Anders’ break.” He put me down gently and walked straight in. I froze and stood there. After a few seconds he popped his head back out. “Are you coming?”

    I shook my head, so he grabbed my wrist and pulled me in.

    “Hey Dad, can you do me a favor?” Emmett asked. The doctor rolled around on his chair and looked at me.

    “Who’s that?” he asked with disapproving look.

    “Dad, this is my girlfriend,” Emmett said flatly.

    “Oh… Okay, let me have a look.” He stood up and looked me over. “Where did those bruises come from?”

    “I fell out of a tree,” I said smoothly. I’d learned at a young age how to lie on the spot, it had saved me from a couple beatings.

    “Oh I see. Please remove the shirt on your forehead.” I took the shirt of my forehead. The bleeding had subsided, but without the shirt it started to flow again.

    “We’re going to need some stitches.” I rolled my eyes when he wasn’t looking. Well, thanks for stating the obvious, Doc. I never knew why but I’d never liked going to the doctor. It usually meant a lot of pain, physical or emotional. If you ask me, a place you could watch your loved ones die isn’t really my idea of a great place.

    He worked so slowly. I just couldn’t get out of there fast enough. The stitches were big and ugly but he had placed a patched over them. He gave me some pain killers for them and the bruises. Finally after the long wait we got to get out of there. We went back to Emmett’s truck. He quickly started it and backed out.

    “Hey, can I ask you a girly favor?” I asked Emmett.

    “It all depends on what the favor is.”

    “I was just hoping you’d stop at Great Clips for a few minutes.”

    He gave me a puzzled look like I was crazy.

    “I just want to cut my bangs to my eyebrows so you can't see the stitches as well it’ll take like five minutes, please.”

    He sighed and rolled his eyes, but pulled in the parking lot of Great Clips. “Thank you, I appreciate it,” I smiled at him.  When I got out I noticed he was coming, but going slower than my grandma. I walked over to him and slid my hand into his and started dragging him along, literally dragging. We made it inside and the place was practically deserted, except a single worker and an older lady. We went and sat down in the waiting chairs. Emmett still had my hand, but I didn’t pull away.

    A tall, slender girl with blackish brown hair walked out. “Honey, I can help you over here?” she said to me while getting her stuff ready. I got up and walked over. I noticed the pain pills had started kicking in, not much, but enough to count. “So what are we doing today?”

    “Um, I’d like to get bangs to cover up these stitches,” I said while pushing my hair back. “and just cut the dead ends. Would that be okay?”

    “Of course!” She went straight to work. I sat quietly while she worked. I just closed my eye and tried to relax. It felt like I fell asleep and before I knew it she was finished. When I opened my eyes I was amazed. She cut my bangs to go perfectly with my part, she trimmed the ends. My bangs covered my stitches perfectly it was more than I had hoped for.

    “It looks great! How much do I owe you?”

    “Ten dollars.”

    I put my hand into my inside pant pocket and got out that envelope Mike gave me. I pulled out two fives and handed them to her. “Thanks you so much.”

    “You’re welcome, it was nice doing business with you. Have a good one!”

    “You too.” I headed to the door which Emmett had held open. “Why thank you, kind young sir.”

    He gave me a smile. “I like your hair it looks nice.” He went and opened the truck door on the passenger side.

    “Thanks. You know, I can walk and open my door, amazing as that sounds.”

    “Hey, my mother told me to always be a gentleman.”

    “Since when did you start listening to her?”

    “Good question,” he said with a grin. He closed my door and went to his side. He backed out and started driving in the opposite direction of my apartment, which was fine with me. I didn’t care where we went as long as it wasn’t home. I looked at the radio which said three thirty.

    “Well, that was educational,” he said.

    “Yeah, I didn’t know I was your girlfriend.”

    “Eh, he’s a little critical, and if he thinks you’re my girlfriend he’ll lay off a little bit.” I’d never officially met his parents. His mom was a lawyer who worked way to much. His dad wasn’t very snoopy so it made it easy to get around.

    “Whatever. Where are we going anyways?”

    “The place all the people go after they get out of the hospital,” he said as if it were so obvious.

    “Which is…?”

    “You don’t know?” he asked sarcastically. “That is just a shame.”

     I rolled my eyes, figuring I’d find out soon enough. I looked out the window and watched everything pass us by. We drove for about fifteen minutes before pulling onto a gravel road. Then we pasted a huge “Welcome to Casper’s Ice Cream Shop” sign. I let out a little smile. I felt like a kid. He drove around the building to the drive through.

    “Hello, how may I help you?” asked the person in the box.

    “Hi, can I get two ‘Not Enough’ cones, one cookies ’n’ cream and the other maple nut.”

    “Will that be all?”

    “Yes, thank you.”

    “Okay, please pull up to the next window.” He pulled the car forward to the next window. I recognized the employee here: Carissa Buckingson, a girl in my grade. Ever since we were little she’s had a huge crush on Emmett and hated me. She always had to be better than me just to show off. Not to mention she was the most “popular” person in our grade. I found it a fun challenge to find how many ways I could upset her because it was just so easy. She gave me a piercing glare so I returned fake smile. She turned to Emmett.

    “That will be $4.73 please.” He dug into his wallet and pulled out a crumbled  and beaten five dollar bill, which he handed to her. She turned to the cash register and pulled out some change.

    “Okay, here’s your change,” she said while giving him the twenty seven cents. She got the ice cream and continued, “and here’s your ice cream.” She gave him the ice cream. He took the maple nut and gave it to me and took the other one for himself.

    “Thank y�"” he started, but I slid over and rested my head on his shoulder

    “Thank you, Emmett.” I saw his tan cheeks turn ever-so-slightly pink. Carissa let out a gasp and I gave her a smirk. Emmett gave Carissa one last nod as we began to drive towards town again. As soon as we made it half way down the lane I busted out laughing. Tears began to roll down my cheeks and my sides screamed.

    “You know, you don’t have to be so cruel all the time,” Emmett said disapprovingly. It took me a minute before I could stop laughing, before I could breath and talk again.

    “Emmett,” I gasped. “Emmett. Emmett. There are a few things in life you will never understand. One being why I just had to do that. Besides you have to admit that was funny.”

    “Whatever. Okay, you do have a point. It was a little bit funny,” he admitted with a smile.

Yeah. I’m totally right.” I let out a sigh. “I need to go get Parker.” It was getting closer and closer to the second I would have to go back to that horrible place. He could feel the mood in the atmosphere change.

    “I haven’t seen that little kid in a long while,” he said cheerfully.

    “He seems to like you.”

    “He must have a good sense of judgment,” he said with a playful wink.

    “Sure we'll go with that.”

    “Oh, I forgot to tell you: next Friday I’m having a random party. You’ve got to come. It’s going to be great!”

    “Sounds great! What time?”

    “About six-thirty, but knowing you you’ll end up being there at seven or at six. Oh, I need you to dress up.”

I think I’ll come at six. Why do I need to dress up?” I wasn’t really paying any attention when I noticed he had pulled up in front of the day care. “Emmett you didn’t have to do that,” I scolded.

    “Just helping the crippled.”

    I rolled my eyes and opened my door. Right before I shut it I turned around. “Thanks a lot for today. It was way fun, we’ll have to do it again sometime. But without the hospital trip.”

    “You’re welcome,” he replied.  “Don’t you want a ride to your house? It’s quite a walk.”

    “I’ll be fine.” I went inside and grabbed Parker, quickly avoiding too many people because most of them will talk your ear off if they get chance. When I got him he was still asleep and I didn’t have the heart to wake him up. As I picked him up I let out a yelp, and slowly rose. He must’ve grown while I was gone, because he felt so much heavier. I walked toward the door. When I opened the door, I saw Emmett’s truck still waiting there. I gave him a smile with a wave and started walking.

    I didn’t realize the sidewalk had a huge crack in it until it was too late. I fell face forward on top of Parker, who woke and started crying loudly. I sat him up and looked at his back. He’d gotten quite a few good scratches.

    “Hey, it’s okay buddy,” I heard behind me. At the sound of Emmett’s voice, Parker’s loud cries turned to muffled sniffles. Emmett swooped him up and shifted him to his side and held his hand out for me. Any guy with a little kid is cute, doesn't matter who. I grabbed his hand and pulled myself up. The pain was excruciating.

    “Thanks.” I said while bushing myself off. I reached for Parker, but Emmett turned away and started walking toward his truck.

    “Come on Emmett, don’t be such a butt,” I pleaded.

    Ignoring me, he got in his truck with Parker on his lap. He smiled and patted the seat next to him. As I walked toward him, he leaned over and opened the door. I got in and slammed it shut.

    “You know if I had walked home I would have been temped to call the cops and tell them you kidnapped my little brother.”

    He chuckled. “You know what’s sad? That I believe you would.” He started the truck and began to drive. He had his hand covering Parker’s, helping him “drive”. It was so cute to see them together like that. I pulled out the camera I take every where.

    “Parker, look at me,” I said right as I snapped the picture. It was literally a perfect picture. “That's perfect,” I said aloud. I showed Emmett the picture. He wore a heart-warming smile. We drove the rest of the way home in happy silence. Emmett pulled up in the parking lot in front of out dump apartment. I’d never allowed him to go inside. I was to embarrassed.

    “Park,” Parker asked as soon as we stopped. I wasn’t surprised. He asked if he could go to the park every day.

    “Of course honey,” I replied.

    He turned and looked at Emmett. “Y-y-you c-come too?”

    “Would you like me to?”

    Parker nodded enthusiastically. Emmett opened the door and crawled out. He turned around and held out both of his hands. Parker didn’t think twice about jumping straight into them. His kindness toward Parker always reminded of my father. I always smile when I think about him. I think he would want that. As we began to walk along the edge of the park, Emmett blew a raspberry on Parker’s little stomach. My brother let out a delighted giggle.

    “S-silly D-daddy,” he stuttered. I froze. Parker had never called anyone Dad or Daddy in his life, not even Collin. It was a big unannounced step for him.

    “Well, you’re just a silly boy.” Emmett set him down and he ran straight for the swings.

    “P-push m-me,” he said in his high childish voice. I walked over and gave him an underdog. His little curls went every where in the wind, making him laugh even more. His giggles became contagious. Emmett walked over and playfully bumped me aside with his hip.

    “This is how you do a real underdog.” He gave Parker another underdog only a couple inches higher then mine.

    “Whatever,” I said while pushing him back.

    “Stop-p m-me,” Parker demanded, getting distracted by something else.

    “Please,” I prompted.

    “Peas.”

    Emmett grabbed the chains and pulled the swing to a stop before I could. Parker jumped out and ran straight to the slides. He went to the slide with three hooked together. He sat in the one on the left. He patted the one next to him and looked me directly in the eye. I sighed; this kid knew what he wanted and how to get it out of me. I ran up the stairs and sat next to him. I was about to go down when Parker put out his right hand for me to hold. Emmett sat down on the other side of me. Parker pointed a small chubby finger at my hand. I held my hand out for Emmett to hold. He took it firmly and I raised both of my hands then we all slid down.

    We played for a while more before going back to the apartment. We climbed the stairs up to the apartment door.

    “Emmett, you’ll never know how much that meant to me. Thank you, I appreciate it.”

    “You’re welcome. You can thank me by coming to my little party Friday.”

    “Hmm. Only if you’re lucky.”

    “I’m feeling lucky.”

    I smiled at him. Emmett smiled back as he left. I walked inside and a shiver ran down my back. I walked into the kitchen and for once in my life, I saw Collin conscious and sober.

    “Who was that?” he demanded.

    “A friend,” I spat back.

    “Yeah right, friends don't look at you like that. Who is that?”

    This made me blush and every so slightly mad he was spying on me. “That was Emmett.”

    “How long have you known this kid?”

    “Since kindergarten.” For me this was a weird and awkward conversation.

    “I want you to stay away from him.”

    “Why?” I asked in alarm.

    “’Cause I don’t trust him.”

    “First off, you don’t know him enough to judge him, and second, he’s my only friend and has been since kindergarten,” I paused a moment, debating whether I should or shouldn't say what came next to mind. Why not? I thought. “He was there after every time you beat me,I hissed.

    “Fine, Miss Smart Aleck, why don’t I meet him some time?”

    “I’d rather be beaten again then make him go through that pain.”

    Collin winced, and I felt slightly triumphant.



Chapter 2



    I woke up feeling beat, literately beat and way more sore than yesterday. I got up and took the medication I'd gotten from Dr. Anders. The rest of my morning went the same as yesterday. I washed the tack again and I talked Mike into letting me clean and take care of three horses and their stalls. When I was bathing Jet, my phone vibrated. I pulled it out of my back pocket and saw a text from Emmett.

    <You’re stronger than you think.>

    I read the text again, wondering What's that supposed to mean? I read it one more time and then shook my head. I walked over and put my phone in my jacket pocket realizing how stupid I was having that in my pocket and bathing a horse. As I continued bathing Jet I sat thinking about the text. It felt like there was some important reason he'd sent that.

    I didn't notice I was smiling until I felt it leave my face as my back got hosed down. My hair was completely soaked down and I had water dripping all down the back of my red cut off and jeans. I turned around and saw Emmett with a hose in his hand and wide eyes. I grabbed the hose next to my feet and started to get my revenge. This little revenge turned into an entire water fight. I was lucky I had only been bathing Jet, who was too old to care. Mike walked out at a really bad time.

    “Hey you two, knock it off,” he snapped at us. I dropped the hose and got one blast to the face before Emmett turned his hose off. Mike glared at us while he walked by. As soon as he was out of ear shot, I giggled. Emmett looked at me and chuckled.

    “You got in trouble,” Emmett sang. I turned and looked at him noticing he was hardly wet and I was completely drenched. There was absolutely no way I could be any more wet. The bottom of Emmett's pants were pretty wet but other than that he was pretty much dry. I should have aimed higher. I walked up to him and just hugged him tight letting him enjoy the good soaking. I heard someone whistling at us, but I just rolled eyes.

    “Now we’re even,” I said, stepping back and looked at him in the face. “So what's up?” I turned back to Jet and started to scrub his tail thoroughly.

    “Just getting ready for the roping tonight,” He said walking over and leaned against Jet.

    “Oh is that the big one you were talking about?”

    “Yup.”

    “So you’re going to be gone a couple of days.” I didn't want him to leave. He needed to stay here and protect me.

    “Yup. I leave today, stay Thursday and Friday, get back on Saturday.”

    “Sounds fun. You better kick some butt, ’cause I need a new belt buckle,” I said, looking down at mine. He'd given it to me for my birthday, and since I only had one belt it stayed on it all the time. I wore it everywhere and made sure the front of my shirt was always tucked in behind it. I looked back at him with a cheesy grin. “Plus, I'll bet there are some good-looking cowgirls there. You could find yourself a real girlfriend,” I said thoughtlessly. Emmett gave me a glare that looked like it should hurt. Said the wrong thing again.

    “Okay, I'll win one just for you, Daughter,” he said, referring to a joke we had made.

    “Oh yeah, Dad, I need five bucks.”

    “Did you just call him ‘Dad’?” a voice behind me asked. I turned around and saw Tyson with his yellow mare, Destiny.

    “Yeah. So?”

    “That's weird.”

    “What's your point?” I asked, sticking up for myself. Tyson gave me a you’re-a-creep look and walked away. “Anyway.”

    “Didn't I give you money last week?” Emmett asked.

    “No…” I said, lying like a dog.

    Emmett just grinned and rolled his eyes. “I'm going to go get a Pepsi. Do you want one?”

    “YES!”

    “I'll be back in a second.” Emmett jogged out of sight as I rinsed Jet's tail. I crouched down next to the horse scrubbed his feet, then stood back up washed off my hands. Emmett came back with two cans of Pepsi and handed one to me. I stepped back and opened the drink. Jet's ear flicked toward me lazily, then his head shook trying to get off all the flies.

    “Hey Emmaree,” I heard a voice call. I turned and saw Laiken walking towards me. “I need to run, would you be willing to hose down Smoky?”

    I smiled at Laiken willingly. “Sure.” I liked Laiken; she's one of the easier ones to get along with.

    “Thanks a bunch. He's in his stall.”

    “Okay, bye, have a good one.”

    “You too.”

    “I better get running too,” Emmett said. “I'll bring you back a belt buckle.”

    “Pinky promise?” I asked, sticking out my pink.

    “Of course,” he said, sticking his pinky into mine.

    “See ya.”

    “Bye.”

***

    The rest of the weekend seemed to drag by slowly., There wasn't a lot of exciting moments in my life, and now my best friend was gone, everything was so boring. I enjoyed Emmett's texts telling me how he was doing, they all made me smile. He was doing really well. His new gelding, Turbo was really working out for him. I got so bored in his absence I spend my entire Sunday afternoon reading in my room. It made me realize I need to get a life. The only thing I did manage to accomplish was a new girl moved to town and started working at the stables. She seemed nice, so I hoped I could get to know her. Then other than that the only interesting thing that happened was Mike came and talked to me about training a new pony the stables managed to get.



Chapter 3




    “You must be the new girl, Destiny,” I said extending my hand outward to catch Destiny's attention. “I'm Emmaree.” I put my hand in hers.

    “It's nice to meet you,” she said.

    “So what brought you to this little town?”

    “My dad got a job here,” she said softly with a small smile.

    “I see. Do you ride?” I asked as we began to walk side by side down the barn.

    “Yeah, but my horse broke his leg and we had to put him down,” she said. “So I'm working here for a while to get used to things before I get my own horse.” We talked for a minute about little pointless things.

    “If you every need someone to party with or anything you can find me here,” I said teasing with a wink.

    “Cool! What's your number?” she asked excitedly.

    I was surprised, but I pulled out my phone and we exchanged numbers. Soon after I had to go back to work and Destiny took off.

***

    “Emmaree,” Collin said. I turned around and stayed silent, so he continued. “I got a job at the grocery store.” This was one of the few times we talked. It was the first since the night he had talked to me about Emmett, five days ago.

    “Wow, that’s a first. Let’s throw a party,” I said with sarcasm, not really caring.

    He ignored my sarcasm. “I was thinking the same thing. We should go eat out tonight and you can bring your little boyfriend so I can meet him.”

    I’d thought he forgotten about that. I thought about it for a second. I definitely didn’t want to go anywhere with him alone…

    “’Kay,” I said, and walked up the stairs.

    “Emmaree, start getting ready now. We’re going to try and leave a little after five,” I heard him say as I walked up the stairs. I went into my room and put Parker on the bed, then went back and locked my door. I grabbed my cell phone off my nightstand, found Emmett’s name out of the few contacts, and pressed call.

    “Hello, Bob’s Burger Barn. How may I help you?”

    “Emmett, you’re such a dork. I was just wondering if you’d like to go out and eat with us. Collin’s dying to meet you.

    “Really?! You’ve got to be kidding.”

    “You don’t have to come.”

    “I’m just kidding. What time do you want me to come?”

    “Five would be nice.”

    “Okay, see you then.”

    “Bye.”

    “Bye.” I hung up the phone and put it down on my nightstand again before rounding on my brother.

    “Hey Parker, will you sit here and color a picture while I take a shower?” I asked him. He nodded his head happily. I went to my closet and took out a coloring book with crayons and handed them to him. He walked back to my bed happily and started coloring. I went to my dresser and opened the second self. I look through all of my shirt and found the once I was looking for, my brown and white plaid shirt and the brown tank top. I grabbed a pair of my skinny jeans and went to the bathroom.

    I took the world’s slowest shower. The cold water was so refreshing on my beaten skin, which was repairing itself nicely. I jumped out got dressed and started blow drying my hair. I only had twenty more minutes. I was glad my hair dried straight. I quickly brushed my teeth and went back to my room to get Parker. I quickly put some fresh clothes on him and made him go get his shoes. I grabbed my old sneakers and went and got Parker. I smiled as I heard a knock at the door.

    “I got it,” I yelled. I walked to the door to open it, and as I was expecting it was Emmett.

    “Oh… You’re not the pizza guy,” I said and began to close the door. He stopped my by sticking his foot in the crack before it was totally closed. I opened it again and look at him.

    “Daddy,” Parker squealed. He leaned over holding his arms out for Emmett to take him. Emmett scooped him up and asked, “Are you guys ready?”

    “Um, I am. I’m not sure if Collin is. Here, step in,” I said, and closed the door behind him. I could see him take a sharp breath of the horrid smell. “Now close your eyes.”

    “What? Why?”

    “For two reasons. One, so you don’t see this apartment; and two, you can think of it as a trust exercise.” He rolled his eyes, but shut them obediently. I walked behind him put my hands over his eyes. I could feel his eye brow raise questioning my sanity. “Just so you don’t peek. Okay now walk forward.” He did so and we made it to the living room okay. Once he was sitting on the couch with Parker in his lap I gave Parker a mission.

    “Parker. you can’t let him open his eyes. You have to cover them with your hands. If he tries to open his eyes you tell me and I’ll take care of him.”

    Parker nodded very seriously, understanding this little mission. I went up to Collin’s room.

    “You ready?” I yelled.

    “Almost. We won’t have enough room in my car alone so one of you guys is going to have to go with your boyfriend.”

    “His name is Emmett! We’ll just meet you there. Where are we going?”

    “Chester Chicken.”

    “Bye, see you there.” I walked back down the stairs. Parker rushed up to me out of breath.

    “H-he opened h-his eyes-s,” he said, out of breath. I gasped and put on a frown. I walked back to the couch and saw Emmett sitting there with his eyes closed.

    “I’ve been told by a reliable source you opened your eyes. Is this true?” I asked Emmett. Parker stood by my side with a perfect glare and folded arms.

    “You have no proof,” he declared.

    “There’s no denial, it means you’re guilty. Time for your punishment.” I leaned over, stuck my hand in his pocket and found what I was looking for: his keys. As I began to pull them out he grabbed my wrist. He opened his eyes and looked at me. “No!”

    I twisted my wrist away from his grip. “It’s what you get for breaking the law.”

    “If I let you, you’ll be breaking the law.”

    “I’ve done it before and I haven’t gotten caught, and that was before I even had my permit.”

    “So if you don't get caught it will be okay?”

    “You’re catching on,” I said as I headed for the door. He stood up and followed me, holding Parker’s little hand. I went down the stairs and unlocked the truck. I climbed in and waited for the two slow boys. Once they were in I turned the key and found the country station I liked. I turned up way too loud and rolled the windows down. I pulled the camera out of my pocket.

    “Hey Emmett, lean toward me,” I said. He leaned over and put his head against mine. Parker popped his head in right below ours. I snapped the picture. It was also perfect. I looked at it and smiled. I showed Emmett and he laughed. I backed out and headed for Chester Chicken using all the back roads. I pulled into the parking lot and stopped. As soon as I turned the truck off, Emmett let out a big sigh of relief.

    “We made it alive! It’s a miracle,” Emmett teased.

    “Don’t worry, I still have to drive home,” I said with a smirk. I planned on waiting for Collin in the car. I turned the key back so the music would play. “That’s How Your Love Makes Me Feel” by Diamond Rio began playing.

    “I’m not poet it and I know it. I don’t use five dollar words…” I turned and looked in the rear view mirror, catching sight of Collin’s junky car pulling in next to ours. I turned and looked at Emmett playing with Parker. He looked up at me with a smile.     “Please behave,” I begged.

    “No promises,” he said all-too-serious. I sighed and got out. Emmett got out  with Parker in his arms.

    Collin crawled out of his junky little car. He walked up next to me. “What are we waiting for?”

    I started walking in the doors. I went and slid into a seat, letting Collin order. Emmett sat next to me with Parker on his lap. Parker held his arms out for me to take him. I smiled and stole him from Emmett. I put him on my lap and bounced him on my leg while he started out the window.

    “So how’re ya feelin’?” Emmett asked nonchalantly.

    “Eh, I’ve seen better days.”

    He gave a concerned look. I knew he wanted to help but there wasn’t anything he could do. I gave him a smile. This was my battle; I needed to fight it.

    “Emmaree, something’s got to change. I know that was the furthest he’s gone, but each time he’s going to go a little further. He could end up putting you in the hospital. Yes, I know you’re concerned about your mother and Parker, but think about it. What if you’re not there sometime and he hurts Parker?”

    This thought made me cringe.

    “Your mother needs to see and understand how Collin really treats you,” Emmett whispered in a hushed tone next to my ear.

    “I know,” I admitted aversely, “but what am I supposed to do? Call the cops? I don’t know, that seems a little drastic. Tell my mom? She can’t change anything.”

    “You’re wrong, you should call the cops if he does it again. Yes, your mom isn’t around all the time and the cops will stop it. Just because your mom isn’t around all the time doesn’t mean she doesn’t care.”

    I knew there was truth behind his words. I guess I just didn’t want to believe him. There wasn’t any more time to talk before Collin came over with our tray. I hadn’t realize dhow hungry I was until I smelled it; I hadn’t really eaten today.

    Collin set the tray down with a shifty smile. It held three plates of chicken, four cups of water, and mashed potatoes and a little bowl of Mac and cheese.

    “I don’t think we’ve had the chance to officially meet,” he said to Emmett. “I’m Collin Small.” He held out his hand.

    “Emmett Anders, it‘s nice to meet you,” Emmett said while placing his firm hand in Collin’s as he stood up. Emmett stood ever-so-slightly taller than Collin.

    “Well, let’s eat up!”

    I was more than happy to take my plate. Collin and Emmett sat down with their own plates and began to eat. Parker reached for the Mac and cheese, but couldn’t quiet get it. I reached over and grabbed it for him. As I handed it to him he slid off of my lap in between me and Emmett and tapped on Emmett’s leg.

    “Sp-poon peas d-daddy?” he asked.

    Collin looked up a little taken back. I had to resist the urge to smile. I kept looking at my plate, but I could feel Collin’s questioning eyes on me. Emmett handed Parker a spoon.

    The chicken couldn’t have tasted any better. I ripped a piece in half and handed it to Parker. He took it eagerly with a happy smile. There was an uncomfortable silence as we ate. I kept my head down and ate.

    My phone went off, making me jump up and hit my knee on the table, shaking the plates. Collin looked at me funny and I heard Emmett chuckling under his breath. Parker bent over and kissed my knee. I smiled and pulled my phone out.

    “Hello?”

    “Hey there sweetie! Whatcha doing?”

    “Oh, hey Mom, we’re just eating out.”

    “Oh okay. Wait, who’s ‘we’?”

    “Me, Parker, Collin and Emmett.”

    “Can I speak to Collin?”

    “Oh, um, yeah,” I said, disappointed she didn’t want to talk to me. I handed Collin the phone. He started talking away. They talked for about two minutes before he handed me the phone back. The awkward silence continued, one of my pet peeves.

    “Do you know Rick and Annie Anders?” I asked Collin. He gave a thoughtful look. I saw a dark, cold flood of black emotion rush into his eyes.

    “Isn’t Annie a lawyer and Rick doctor?”

    “Yup.”

    “Yeah, I know them. Why?”

    “’Cause they’re Emmett’s parents.” I saw him give Emmett one off his hard cold glares for a moment.

    “Well if you’ll excuse me, I need to use the restroom.” Collin got up and left. I wondered what was wrong with him. I ignored him and fed Parker. Emmett didn’t say much, which surprised me. Collin didn’t get back until we were finished eating. He smelled strongly of cigarette smoke.

    “Let’s go,” he mumbled unhappily. We put our plates on the tray and Emmett took them to throw them away. Collin went outside to his little car and left as quickly as he could. We stayed silent and went out to Emmett’s truck. I climbed in and backed out. The radio was the only noise on the drive home. I pulled into the parking lot in front of my apartment building.

    “Thank you Emmett, for coming with me. I couldn’t have done it alone.”

    “Anytime,” he said with a smile. I opened the door and crawled out. I turned around and grabbed Parker. Emmett opened the door and climbed out. We all headed up the steps to my apartment door. I set Parker down and opened the door for him to go in. I walked over and sat on the top step of the of stairs. Emmett sat down next to me and I rested my head on his shoulder.

    “I’m just so scared, Emmett.”

    “Everything's going to be okay, I promise,” he said, wrapping his arm around my shoulders and pulling me close to him in a strong hug.

    “How can you be so sure?”

    “Because I know things.”

    I left it at that and prayed he was right.

***

    “Stay away from him, if he’s even a little like his parents,” Collin slurred. We’d been going on about a half an hour. After we had gotten back Collin hadn't come home until now, completely wasted and hardly able to stand up.

    “You don’t know him like I do! Besides, he didn’t even say anything tonight. What do his parents have to do�"” I cut myself off, noticing something for the first time.

     Parker was in the corner, curled up in a ball. He rocked back and forth with his hands covering his ears, saying, “N-no more, no m-more.”

    “Shut up, Parker,” Collin shouted. Parker didn’t noticed he was being talked to so he kept going. Collin began to walk toward him.

    My adrenaline spiked. I knew Collin was going to hurt my brother. I threw myself in front of him. “Do not touch him,” I hissed.

    “Move out of the way, girl, this boy needs to be disciplined!” He tried to push me out of the way, but I stood strong. He raised his hand to hit me. I snapped. I was done being abused. I was done being scared.

    I grabbed the front of his shirt and began to push him backwards. He started running over everything until he hit the wall with a huge bang. I threw two punches to his face, one going directly in his eye and the other one on his nose. I heard the crunching of his nose when I hit him. I let him go and he slid down the wall. I walked over to Parker and grabbed his hand. We went up to my room to get ready for bed.



Chapter 4




    <Don’t forget to get dressed up,> Emmett had texted me as I walked on my way home from a relativity good day at work. Was it already time his for his little party?

    <Why?> I texted back, but got no response. I wondered why I needed to get dressed up. I walked home and got Parker on the way.  When we got home I went straight up to my room. I went to my life savings and withdrew some cash. I put the money in my pocket and headed out with Parker again. We went to the only dress shop in town. I didn’t have any dresses or skirts.

    I went in side and found it perfectly clean. There were a few other people there. I found my size and began looking. I found a strapless, baby blue dress with a medium-sized bow on the size. It was elegant. I found a black gown with spaghetti straps and layered ruffles along the bottom. It was simple, but cute. The last one was a mocha-brown halter dress that went about down to my knees and hung loose. It looked eye catching. I found the dressing room and tried all three of them on. To tell the truth, I didn’t know what to look for because I’d never worn a dress.

    The baby blue one was too little and it was the only one. The black one look ed terrible and the brown one made me look like Marilyn Monroe. I went back and looked around. Parker followed me happily.

    “P-pink,” he said pointing a little finger. He was pointing at a baby pink strapless dress with a black strap separating the top half and layered ruffled bottom that hung at knee length. It was perfect and on sale. I tried it on and it fit like a glove. I took it to the counter to pay.

    Soon we were on our way to Payless Shoe Source a couple stores down. I walked in, noticing Parker was getting tired. I was happy to see they were having a Fourth of July sale. I let Parker sit on one of the stools while I went to try out shoes. I tried to look at only the black ones. I found a pair of black boots that laced up the front. The turned out to be ugly. I looked around and found a pair of black sandals that and tied up and around the ankle. I was about to go pay for them when I found a pair of high heel black boots that zipped up the side. They had a rounded toe and went up to my knee. I wasn’t sure which one I liked best. After thinking about it the boots were cheaper and I probably would only wear them one time. I decided to go with the boots.

    As we headed home, I realized there was lots of work to be done. This was the first time in years I felt like a little girl, a little girl playing dress up and going to a party. The thought made me smile.

    When we got home, I put Parker in my room with crayons and a coloring book. I went and took a shower. I took a long shower thinking about everything at once. When I was done I put on my short shorts and tank top and went straight to work. I blew my hair almost completely dry and left it.

    The swelling in my eye had gone down, but it was still barely noticeable. I started on my makeup. It took forever, but I made the busies go away. I went to curling my hair after that. My mom gave me Bump Its one year for Christmas. I opened the package and grabbed one . I put it in the back of my hair on the top. I fixed it until it was unnoticeable. I found a little clip and pulled the hair back around the Bump It. My bangs still hung down with a little on the sides. I went into my mom’s room and I heard a knock down stairs. I hurried and grabbed the little purse I was borrowing and headed down stairs. I opened the door and there stood Carter Anders. I let out a delighted squeal and gave her a hug.

    “Why didn’t you tell my you we’re coming to town?!? Why are you here?”

    “It was a surprise. Surprise! Emmett sent me. Emmaree, you look amazing, but where’s the makeup and earrings?”

    “One, I am wearing makeup, and two, I don’t have any earrings.”

    “Well, show me your makeup.” I went upstairs and got my makeup bag and brought it to her. She held out her hand for me to take what was in them.

    “Here, you can have these,” she said while handing me a pair of little black rose earrings.

    “Are you sure?”

    “Of course.”

    “Thank you!”

    She started doing my make up, adding mascara, eyeliner, and just a little eye shadow. She had a pink lipstick in her purse she added, but with a little lip gloss over it.

    “Perfect,” she said when she was all done. “You look like a movie star! Well, we’d better get going now.

    “Okay just a sec,” I said, running up the stairs. I grabbed my phone and camera and put them in my purse. I grabbed Parker and went down the stairs. I smiled at Carter as we walked out to her little Dodge Stratus. I climbed in and she drove off. She had Martina McBride CD playing “This One’s for the Girls.” We both sang along, but we got to her house before the song was over. She parked and I crawled out.

    “Are you coming?” I popped my head back in and asked.

    “No, I’m going to go visit some friends.”

    “Okay, see you later. And thanks!” I said before I shut my door. I walked up and knocked up on the front large door. I waited a few minutes, though it sounded like no one was home. I opened my purse and was just about to call Emmett and see what was up when he opened the door. He was dressed in a black pants a white shirt and a black tie.

    “Emmaree?” he asked in a surprised tone.

    “Hey,” I said with a smile.

    “You look… different.”

    “Thank…you? I had to bring Parker, do you mind if he sits in your room and watches a movie or something? Pretty please?”

    “Oh, that’s fine! Sit right there and I‘ll be back in a second,” he said, pointing to the wooden swing. I sat down and slowly rocked back and forth. Emmett came back out after about ten minutes. He came and sat next to me.

    “I need to ask you some thing,” he said hesitantly. Just by the sound of his voice I could tell he was nervous.

    “Okay.”

    “Will… Will you go out with me?”

    To be totally truthful I was a little shocked. I’d never been asked out before like this, right to my face. I thought about it for a minute then I decided. “Yes.”

    “Really?”

    “No.”

    “I’m taking that as a yes,” he said, jumping up while smiling ear to ear. He slid his large, safe hand into mine and stood. “Let’s party.”

    I stood up and followed him. He took me to his living room, and what I saw was amazing. All the furniture had been pushed to the walls of the room. The lights were low and there was music playing. There was a mini disco ball hanging on the ceiling, and a large crowd of people dancing. It was much nicer than any school dance. A random girl walked up behind Emmett, handed him something, and walked away. I started to raise my eyebrow, when he placed a little tiara on my head, perfectly into place.

    “Happy sweet seventeen.”

    “What? My birthday was last week.”

    “Well if I had done this on your actual birthday, you would have guessed it, so I did it a little late. Better late then never, right?”

    “Definitely.” I watched a guy change the music. “Are You Going to Kiss Me or Not” began to play.

    “Will you dance with me?” Emmett asked.

    I nodded my head. I couldn’t speak, no one had ever done anything so much for me. It was perfect and for the moment I was completely happy. We walked out to the center of the living room and began to dance. We didn’t say a word. I rested my head on his shoulder. This was our song. At the end of the song we walked back to the side of the room and sat down.

    “So why did you do all this?”

    “All this? Heck, all I did was call a few people. Only about one of my amazingly perfect ideas made it this far.”

    “Then who helped you?”

    “Carter helped a lot, she picked out the decorations and tiara and I have a few girl friends who where more than happy to help.”

    “When we see them, remind me to properly thank them.”

    “Okay. Oh yeah, I have someone I’d like you to meet.” He got up and started walking through the crowd. I followed. I was amazed how many people showed up and I didn’t know a single one.

    “Hey Emmett,” a random boy said and walked up to him. “Oh, who’s this fabulous young lady you have here?” He was about an inch taller than Emmett and extremely wiry. He had light, dusty brown hair with dazzling forest green eyes.

    “Emmaree, this Garret. Garret, this is my girlfriend and the birthday girl, Emmaree.”

    “Oh, since when have you had a girlfriend?”

    “Since about five minutes ago”

    “Then it seems I must do the right thing here. Emmaree, may I have this dance?” he asked with hand held out.

Get lost, you scoundrel,” Emmett said while pushing him aside. Garret laughed and came back.

Hey, let the lady decide,” He said. The both turned and looked at me.

I’d love to.” I placed my hand in his and we walked toward the center of the room. Garret gave Emmett a smug look. We began to dance to the slow beautiful music. I didn't talk, for I didn't know what to say. I didn't want to have to say anything. I felt uncomfortable and out of place. I didn't like it. The song couldn't end quick enough. As soon as the song ended I found my way back to Emmett who was leaning up against the wall talking to a girl. They were both laughing, and when I walked up Emmett grinned at me.

Melissa, this my girlfriend Emmaree. Emmaree, this is Melissa. She helped plan everything.”

So you’re the one he keeps talking about,” she asked with a cute little smile.

Yes?” I saw Emmett's head nod out of the corner of my eye.

It was nice to meet you.” I nodded and she walked away. “She seems nice.”

Yeah she is.”

I ended up meeting several other girls that helped set this up, as well as some of Emmett's jock friends. Everything went by so fast it was almost too great. It was a like a fairy tale, it went by too fast and almost seemed to be to good to be true. I danced with Emmett mostly and then a couple of his friends on the football team who seemed like total jerks in my perspective. I checked on Parker a couple of times, though I knew he was completely safe.

Too soon I found myself with Parker in Emmett's truck having him drive me home. Everything was a perfect happy atmosphere. No one spoke and Parker sat on my lap resting his tired head on my shoulder. Emmett pulled up in front of my apartment building and killed the engine. The humming of the truck disappearing woke up Parker he rubbed his sleepy eyes and yawned. I walked up the stairs to the front of my apartment with Emmett at my heels. When we got to the door, I held up a finger for Emmett to wait for a moment while I ran inside and put Parker in his bed. I walked back out and found Emmett waiting for me. I smiled when I saw him. I walked up and hugged him around the waist and felt his arms wrap around my back. He kissed the top of my head like my father used to.

I don't know how you do it…”

Neither do I,” he teased.

I pulled my head back without breaking his hold on me. I made sure he held noticed my eyes rolling then I hugged him again. “Thanks, I don't know where I'd be without you.”

The feeling is mutual,” he said sweetly and my stomach got a warm feeling in it. It was strange I like the feeling but I just was different.

“’Night,” I said, and walked inside. I walked into the kitchen for a water bottle and pulled one out. I unscrewed the cap, put it up to my lips, and took a large swallow. I looked over to the stove clock, a quarter to midnight. I hadn't meant to be this late, but it wasn't too big of a deal. I heard clunking down stairs that could only be Collin. The sudden noise made me jump it made me realize how nervous I was. I put the bottle back in the fridge and turned around to see Collin with bloodshot eyes, staring me down as if I were fresh meat.

You’re late.”

***

I woke up being shaken so mildly it was almost unnoticeable. I tried to open my eyes, but it hurt. Something was wrong. I couldn't even move to get up.

Emma. S-sister,” Parker asked not understanding anything.

Honey. Can you find my phone?”

I heard him start moving around. “Where is it?” he asked in clueless childish voice.

It's in my room, baby, on my lamp table.”

Oh,” he said, clunking off. I laid there trying to move, but pain wouldn't let me. I found it a chore just breathing I had to constantly remind myself. Parker was gone for a few moments, but I could have just died right then. Someone save me, I thought to myself. I started counting pointlessly, starting over every time I got to one hundred.

S-s-sister, I got it,” Parker said. I held out my hand and he placed my phone in my hand. I opened my right eye far enough I could see a blurry image just enough to text one word to the only one who would care. <Help.> That's all I sent. I prayed to heaven I would make it out of this alive, then let the blackness pull me under.

***

I woke up in a room with white walls. Where am I?! I looked at the wall in front of me that held a small TV bolted to the wall. Below it in the corner was a brown recliner chair. Above the chair was a small window letting in light. The room was small and to my left was a door. I shifted my eyes just enough to look down and see I was resting on a bed. My body throbbed and my leg was in a brace that held it in the air. I looked out the window built in the door and watched several nurses hurry by. I watched for a moment then glanced down. My arms were almost entirely black and blue. There were tubes going into my arms and I felt something touching my face I lifted my right hand and gently touched my nose. There were tubes also going up my nose. I felt like I should be alarmed, but I felt so drowsy I couldn't think straight. I yawned and blinked a couple times with heavy eyelids. Then I closed my eyes and just relaxed.

I woke up once again in the same place, nothing felt like it had changed. I looked around the room to the best of my ability without moving my head. This time the recliner chair held a body. The boy looked so familiar, I racked my brain for his name but I came up empty handed. He sat there motionlessly just staring with wide eyes. He had short, dark, slightly curly hair. His eyes were a dark ocean blue, and his face had an unshaven look. Then I noticed the earring… earring… Eli…? Elliot…? Emmett! Emmett?




© 2012 Rusteesgirl


Author's Note

Rusteesgirl
Wrote this a while ago needs some help comments would be great!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Oh kay. Well, I thought it was brilliant if a little disturbing. I was pulled in by your language and you did an excellent job of describing the emotions of Emmaree (awesome name by the way). However, there were a few places where the words were switched and repeated and added that lost me a little.
The one place I can think of that needs some clarification is at the beginning. I would love to be introduced to Emmaree a little better and would love to know that her and Parker are brother and sister a little sooner. Although, I thoroughly enjoyed it. If you want I can do a line by line analysis of the story. It was amazing. Good Job.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rusteesgirl

11 Years Ago

Thank you my good friend هل ك&.. anything that will help i will take into conceration.



Reviews

Oh kay. Well, I thought it was brilliant if a little disturbing. I was pulled in by your language and you did an excellent job of describing the emotions of Emmaree (awesome name by the way). However, there were a few places where the words were switched and repeated and added that lost me a little.
The one place I can think of that needs some clarification is at the beginning. I would love to be introduced to Emmaree a little better and would love to know that her and Parker are brother and sister a little sooner. Although, I thoroughly enjoyed it. If you want I can do a line by line analysis of the story. It was amazing. Good Job.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rusteesgirl

11 Years Ago

Thank you my good friend هل ك&.. anything that will help i will take into conceration.
Wow. That was *captivating!* Excellent job!
Just a few things:
-watch out for punctuation errors (If you'd like I can fix everything I caught and send the revised version to you.)
-watch for spelling errors (Most of them were pretty small.)
-put some hyphens in between Parker's stuttered letters

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rusteesgirl

11 Years Ago

Okay thanks a bunch!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

186 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 3, 2012
Last Updated on September 22, 2012