Negative side effects of divorce on family

Negative side effects of divorce on family

A Story by Ryan K. Whaley

Divorce has many consequences, including negative ones. Many scientists and researchers argue that the dissolution of marriage leads to various negative physical and emotional manifestations, it is great stress that the human body experiences both during the process of divorce itself and after. Many couples who have been involved in research are confronted with migraines, back pain, insomnia and neuroses in the process of dissolution. But besides the spouses, their minor children also suffer, as it seems to them that the world is falling apart.

How divorce affects men

According to statistics collected by a divorce company in Texas, in most cases, the wife becomes the initiator of the divorce. For a man, it is always a shock, even though the relationship is broken long ago. Even simple phrase "let's think about a divorce" can cause serious stress.


There are various studies and researches on the health of spouses during and after the dissolution of a marriage, the result of which can be reduced to one conclusion: divorced spouses are more susceptible to serious diseases in comparison with those couples who live in a marriage. There is even a whole list of problems with the health faced by almost every divorced person. The main problems  include:

  1. Spouses who have been divorced (both men and women) get sick with flu and colds much more often, because their immunity is weakened by the stress they experienced due to dissolution of the marriage.

  2. Men get cancer or heart problems and also get strokes much more often than men who are in marriage.

  3. Stress caused by divorce leads to the fact that spouses gain weight.

  4. Among divorced men, mortality increases by almost 3 times compared with married men.

  5. Increased craving for alcohol or narcotic substances.

  6. Insomnia, obsession or anxiety.


It's known that after a divorce the standard of living worsens, which also leads to health problems. In addition, the social circle also changes, some friends leave forever, as a result of which a divorced man receives less psychological support.


According to HealthLine.com, one of the common effects of divorce is a depression that affects both men and women. Nevertheless, studies of this effect are encouraging, and scientists argue that depression goes away after a certain period of time and with proper treatment. In rare cases, it can develop into a more serious form of the disease.


Also, studies suggest that the majority of divorced men experience a personality crisis after a dissolution of marriage and may not always able to create new healthy relationships.

How divorce affects women

Women, as well as men, suffer from a number of health problems. One of which is a heart attack. After divorce risk among women increases significantly (in accordance with The Telegraph). Scientists attribute this to the fact that women will worry much more emotionally than men. In addition, the standard of living of a woman falls largely more than for a man, which also leads to not very favorable consequences. If the wife has been busy with the house or children for a long time, then after the divorce, she will most likely have to go to work, such drastic changes also entail stress.


Psychologists also say that women enter into a new relationship after a divorce significantly later than men. In addition, a woman loses the company of her married friends, which in general aggravates the situation. This is because, firstly, interests change, and secondly, married women begin to perceive their divorced friend as a potential rival.


Even if a woman initiated a divorce, after all, is over, she will begin to mistrust men. Of course, this happens not with everybody, but in most cases it is true. It is also fueled by such feelings as resentment, loneliness, a sense of abandonment and unhappiness. As a result, the woman acquires the fear of being rejected or the fear of getting married.

How divorce affects children

In line with Huffpost, divorce also has a strong emotional impact on children and unlike their parents, they cannot cope with all the consequences.


Moving to a new home or even a school is what awaits the majority of children whose parents are divorced, and for kids, this is great stress. Many children begin to feel guilt and blame themselves in parents separation.


The child is no longer able to spend time with both parents. Now he or she lives with one person (mostly mother) and sometimes has the opportunity to see with the second parent. The child begins to feel unprotected.


Mother has to work more as a result of which she spends less time with the baby and he or she feels abandoned. Psychologists say that most children begin to study worse after parents divorce, and they also have problems with behavior. This is due to the kid’s subconscious desire to draw attention to himself. And adolescent girls become sexually active, due to the fact that in this way the girl is trying to compensate for the lack of attention from her father.


There are cases when a wife begins to manipulate her husband with the help of a child in order to get more property or alimony after a divorce, or simply to take revenge on her former spouse. Such actions have a destructive effect on the psyche of the child and are very dangerous.


In addition, the effects of divorce are felt at a later age, when the child grows up. He or she cannot create a healthy relationship, as the trauma suffered from a divorce makes it difficult to trust the partner.

Financial implications of a divorce

Even if we distance from all emotional and psychological problems, divorce also has negative financial consequences. It is not a secret that divorce lawyers are not cheap, and if the process of termination lasts a year, then it will cost a large amount of money. Statistics show that the cost of a marriage dissolution has increased over the past few years.


The division of property also has a negative effect, because each spouse loses part of the common assets. Add to this the tax consequences of the division.


Women suffer from a divorce financially stronger than men. Although both sexes are losing. So, in most cases, the husband is the payer of alimony, which is paid out of his income. But in spite of this amount, the wife still has to work more or look for a new job, since after the divorce she has to provide herself financially. There are also many scandalous cases when as a result of a divorce one of the spouses became bankrupt.


In addition, experts say that divorce slows down the economic growth of the country. Studies conducted by family protection organizations claim that divorce costs taxpayers about 115 billion a year.


About 900,000 couples are divorced in the USA every year. Many families fall apart in the hope of finding a new life. But not everything is so simple. The consequences of a divorce can be negative both emotionally and financially. But children suffer the most from divorce. If marriage dissolution cannot be avoided, then the parents should take maximum care of the child’s comfort so that he or she does not feel abandoned or lonely. It really makes sense to turn to a psychologist in order to overcome the emotional trauma caused by divorce. And most importantly - never lose the hope that everything will be ok.

© 2020 Ryan K. Whaley


Author's Note

Ryan K. Whaley
Melissa Tenny, Director, Legal Document Compliance
Melissa has worked in family law for more than 22 years. During this time, she helped build one of the top family law practices in Seattle and was part of the pioneer team that made CompleteCase.com the success it is today. As a senior paralegal, she worked for years on high-end contested divorces before switching gears to explore the uncontested online divorce space. Melissa is responsible for monitoring and updating the state services as laws and procedures evolve and change. She’s also in charge of making sure that the customer experience is as amazing as we promise.
https://www.completecase.com

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

30 Views
Added on April 2, 2020
Last Updated on April 2, 2020
Tags: law, family, divorce, legal, men, women

Author

Ryan K. Whaley
Ryan K. Whaley

Hartford, CT