"The Wall" - now updated with 10 full chapters please read

"The Wall" - now updated with 10 full chapters please read

A Book by Ryan Yates
"

Trapped in an corrupt and violent desert town Scott needs to find a way out. Can salvation be found beyond the wall for the orphan. All he can rely on is himself, his motorbike and maybe his friends

"

© 2016 Ryan Yates


Author's Note

Ryan Yates
REMEMBER TO ADD THIS TO YOUR LIBRARY FOR FURTHER CHAPTERS

Please review, this is at the first draft stage and I am looking for as much feedback as possibly.

Please do not give reviews based on grammar, spelling, sentence structures or anything like that. this is a work in draft stage so that is not what I need to hear at this moment, all that will all taken care of later.

At this stage there are 3 main areas of feedback i am looking for.
1. where are you confused, bored or frustrated.
2. what do you think is unbelievable or unlikely
3. Are you engaged in the story, where does it loose you? does it seem static or does it flow well.


Remember to shelve the book to get the new chapters when they are added. add me as a friends and follow me on facebook - https://www.facebook.com/ryanyatesauthor/

My Review

Would you like to review this Book?
Login | Register




Featured Review

so I'm waiting for my order form so i can buy it and you must sign it as well..... it started off a bit slow.... (first chapter) but now..... It's like my favorite t.v. show I'm dying to watch every week..... stay focused and keeping making it a delicious.....

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ryan Yates

8 Years Ago

thank you, i will be sure to sign one for you. unfortunately its a while of being publishable yet. .. read more



Reviews

*Note that I don't mean any offense—I'm trying to aim for constructive criticism*
So based on the first few chapters that I read, and from the type of constructive criticism you want, I have to admit that your story started off a bit slow, and I was bored until there was finally some dialogue on the first chapter.
My attention was caught when Scott described the little girl begging for money with fake pleasantries and how he instantly became reserved as she approached him. That one paragraph told me more about the entire scene(and about Scott) than the long description of how people are living in poverty, of how harsh society has become, and of how Scott holds no sympathy for it.
From the first word he utters, "no," I've managed to grasp all of those details instead of from the five static paragraphs you've spent repeating yourself.
I'm being real with you when I say that one of the best ways (I emphasize on 'one' because there's other methods) to grab a reader's attention is by showing, not telling. In other words, use deep pov. Most readers, like me, don't like their hands being held on every single detail taking place. A simple, but attention grabbing description would hold more impact than three paragraphs that sound more like its being told by the author rather than the character himself.
For example, instead of informing the readers how if someone passes the yellow kill line they get shot by sentry guns, why not have Scott show the readers how he observed someone race to escape, pass over the yellow kill line without any thoughts to the consequences, only to be shredded with bullets by merciless guards? It'll keep most readers engaged and wondering for more.
Deprive the readers with unanswered questions, such as, why does no one react to such a brutal murder? What's over the yellow kill line that makes it punishable by death if crossed? And then slowly give them the clues that lead to the answers. All these awesome details could be thrown like bread crumbs leading to the highest point— the climax. Show a bit, and have confidence that your audience will figure it out.
Now, I know that this is just an outline of a rough draft, and I don't mean any offense when I suggest what to polish on your story, but the main reason why I left an essay of a review is because of how much potential this novel could havexD! *Sorry for this being so long*
All these interesting descriptions of the world you created is genuinely incredible, and it's a great start for a rough draft because your description and plot have the potential to be great once polished.
I can't wait for the finished draft—Please inform me where to get a copy if you can : )

Posted 8 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This comment has been deleted by the website administrators.
This comment has been deleted by the poster.
This comment has been deleted by the website administrators.
Wow.. This is rather grand indeed from what I've read so far

Posted 8 Years Ago


so I'm waiting for my order form so i can buy it and you must sign it as well..... it started off a bit slow.... (first chapter) but now..... It's like my favorite t.v. show I'm dying to watch every week..... stay focused and keeping making it a delicious.....

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ryan Yates

8 Years Ago

thank you, i will be sure to sign one for you. unfortunately its a while of being publishable yet. .. read more
if this was an actual book on the shelf i would have to say i would buy it

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ryan Yates

8 Years Ago

awesome!!!!
Ryan Yates

8 Years Ago

3 more chapters added
Okay
1. The first chapter was a bit of a struggle for me, I had trouble seeing what you were saying. Maybe its just me. I was a little confused about the race being that I'm not too well with that stuff.
2. Not much is unlikely, you've done great with your characters and setting and the whole plot it seams very well off.
3. This story flows very well, its really engaging, like I said I only struggled with the first chapter for some reason but I have been sucked in since with the progression and emotion. The life you give to your characters is unreal.
this is amazing I can't wait to read more

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

annalysiar

8 Years Ago

Mmm I'm not too sure maybe. I'm sorry...repetition is normally my thing it could be the amount of de.. read more
Ryan Yates

8 Years Ago

3 new chapters added
annalysiar

8 Years Ago

I'm on it 😃😃😃
Will do, got you, this sounds imteresting

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

24301 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 11 Libraries
Added on January 12, 2016
Last Updated on February 11, 2016
Tags: distopian, sci-fi, motorbikes, desert, guns, wall, teens

Author

Ryan Yates
Ryan Yates

United Kingdom



About
Writing is a joy for me. Ultimately I am telling myself a story and I invite you to listen in. I am from England but live my life on the road at the moment. Luckily I have the ability to write ev.. more..

Writing
Awake Awake

A Poem by Ryan Yates