Chapter one: Hunter and the hunted

Chapter one: Hunter and the hunted

A Story by Ryzo
"

The very first chapter of the story/book. If you guys like it i think it will be book . . . fingers crossed!

"

It’s been two days now since I killed that homeless man in the alleyway. I planned on my next victim now, a young homeless woman. I’ve been watching her for some time. He dirty brown hair and ragged clothes attracts the most wanted attention by the cities vermin. She sits just outside the coffee shop. Her soft voice crying out for loose change of complete strangers as she holds up her dirty, grimy hands and begs. It’s disgusting.

I sat in the cafe having a black coffee and reading the news papers. I caught the headline this morning. “Homeless man slashed to death in alleyway, Killer still at large” I giggled with pleasure as I read the article. The cafe door’s bell rang as it opened. The smell of the air quickly changed to an unwashed, piss stained and mouldy stench. One sniff and I knew who walked through the door. Her baggy brown jacket was surrounded by flies almost like the way planets revolved around the sun, only the flies were revolving a lot faster. I peaked over the top corner of the news paper at her. She slowly shuffled across the floor to the desk at the cafe and dropped a pile of coins onto the counter. They all dropped and rolled with almost a shattering noise, so loud that all the conversation in the cafe stopped.

 “May I have a white coffee please?” The young ragged and vile girl asked. The woman at the counter looked at the pile of change she dropped on the counter and shook her head.

“I’m sorry young miss, but you’re twenty pennies short.” The cafe worker said as she looked upon the face of the shocked and disappointed dirt infested girl.

“Oh, okay that’s fine.” The girl picked up the change on the counter top. “I’ll come back another time, maybe.”  She slowly began to drag herself away from the counter and turned to head for the door. Her torn pink Nike trainers wearing down further into the floor as she walked. I whistled for her attention and she turned around with confusion.

“I’ll get you a coffee if you like.” I announced so everyone inside could hear me. An audience now looked on from their seats, their faces in shock with what they just heard. Some with smiles across their faces, almost like someone shoved a banana sideways into their mouths. The girl looked at me with the brightest smile I’d ever seen on a young woman before.

“Thank you very much, sir!” She exclaimed jumping up and down wildly, it was almost like she found out she won the lottery. She went to the counter and awaited my arrival. I slowly got up off my chair in the corner and paid for a white coffee. Her bug like eyes almost shone like pearls in her blackened face as she took the mug of coffee with her to a table next to the window.

“It’s no problem my dear. Here’s an extra bit of money for your next coffee too.”  I smiled as i handed her more money. I knew I was playing my cards right, she trusts me now.

“Thank you ever so much sir! Out of all the people who I’ve met today you are the kindest.” She winked at me as she sipped her coffee. I nodded and tipped the peak of my black hat and left the cafe. Her can of pennies were still lying out front, I knocked on the window and waved a five pound note in front of the young woman and placed it in the can. Her eyes were almost the size of her coffee mug. She waved her gratitude towards me with both black, clasped hands through the window.

She knows me now. This means she trusts me. I have got the upper hand now; the insects will never hear her calls. I will, and she’ll follow me. When she does that’s when I will make my move and get rid of another problem on the streets.

                 *  *  *                                  

After long interrogations with both the suspects, Andrew Smith and Amanda, they were quickly charged with resisting arrest and soliciting prostitution. When questioned in regards to the body and the murderer though, nothing. They were too high on drugs and booze to be worrying about the decaying body next to them while they both fucked each other’s brains out in the pile of rotting rubbish.

It’s been two days since the murder and we have had no further reports, or signs of the killer who’s been stalking the homeless. It’s as if the guy vanished into thin air and done a Houdini. The police chief, Harry Green held a meeting early this morning in the CID lounge.

The room is filled with dozens of computer cubicles surrounding an island of desks and chairs. The White room itself is layered with a fine blue carpet, to the right of the large varnished wooden door is the detective chief superintendant’s office. A cosy little space with a large desk with a gold name plate welded onto the front. A large window which offers a spectacular view of the ascending sky scrapers and office buildings which you can clearly see stretches across the city.

At the very front of the room, police chief Harry green stood with his array of shiny badges on either shoulder which symbolises his power in the force. His bushy moustache twitching wildly by the smirk of a welcoming smile as all the police constables, CIDs, and higher ranking officers took their seats. Harry’s brown eyes glistened in the bright morning sun as he pointed to the pictures on the white board of the unknown homeless man, who was killed two nights ago.

“Good morning. As you know it’s been two nights since the murder of this man. The only witnesses were a prostitute and a resident living within the area. They couldn’t give us any details or information of our killer, but CID officers Phil Baxter and Stewart Brown uncovered the only evidence.” He announced as he gazed around the room his posture stern and solid, almost like a wax doll.

“Now, today I’m due to take a press conference in one hour from now. I’ll speak out to the public to ensure them that we will catch this killer and use ever resource we have. I want you fine men and women to deliver on my promise. Not for me, but for the people of London. I want them to be able to look up to the metropolitan police with a sense of pride, and above all comfort. Now go out there, and catch this mad man who did this.” After his impressive speech, the police chief exited the room to his office. The floor was now controlled by the detective chief superintendants again.

He waltzed up to the boards and dusted his white shirt off. He was a small man, his short wavy brown hair, beach blue eyes and small build would make you think he was a student than a high ranking officer of the law. Looks can be deceiving.

“Now listen up guys, we know that the killer left a letter and we’ve run checks on hand writing, finger prints, DNA analysis, the whole works. We know that the killer is right handed, very smart and skilful.” His bright blue eyes mirrored the officer’s reflection with confidence.

“There were no prints left or DNA. But, there were torn fibbers from his clothing found from the inside of the homeless guy’s jacket. The company he got the threads from is called Combat Comforts and co. The place is half a mile from the station. Stewart and Phil, I want you guys to take this. See if you can find anything on the guy who bought the threads.”  Detective chief superintendant Slater took a marker pen and added another piece to the jigsaw puzzle, the Combat Comforts and co store.  

   I stood up and looked at Phil, “Duty calls once again, partner.” I nudged Phil in the

arm and turned around to face Detective Chief Superintendant Slater and nodded. “We’re on it boss, we won’t let you down!” Just before we began leaving the room Slater boomed out behind us.

“Try not upsetting any more locals’ lads!” With that in mind, we left out the busy and repetitive ringing, talking, footsteps and clatter through the back door and into our car. Phil clipped his seatbelt and took a look at his note pad. The killer’s words were gnawing and scratching at the front of our minds. “I go after the ones with no purpose, the people without names and faces. In order to save them you must first find their names, before I take their faces.”  The sound of the car’s engine started as I slowly turned the ignition on.

 The road ahead was clear, and Phil and I only had one thing on our minds. Catching the mad man before it was too late.

© 2011 Ryzo


Author's Note

Ryzo
Hope you guys like it. Tell me what you think :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

wow! very dark and creepy, you got my attention in the first line! i loved that when the killer was hunting, it was in first person :) but is the killer the same speaker as at the end of the chapter, cuz if it isn't really only one person should be first person

but anyways i oober liked this and i'm totally hooked, let me know when any more chapters come out!!!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Nice. Very nice. This is probably one of the better openings that I have read so far. Keep it up. Do check out my works too please.

Posted 7 Years Ago


A crisp first chapter, captivating and astute on details. This is a gripping start to story akin to the movie Seven. I see this killer as that type, the self-righteous, messenger of God who thinks he's sinless. Bravo!

Posted 12 Years Ago


I was drawn into this story the second I started it. You helped the reader visualize everything that was going on in the story. I was creeped out yet intrigued at the same time. Great Job!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

wow! very dark and creepy, you got my attention in the first line! i loved that when the killer was hunting, it was in first person :) but is the killer the same speaker as at the end of the chapter, cuz if it isn't really only one person should be first person

but anyways i oober liked this and i'm totally hooked, let me know when any more chapters come out!!!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

What? Your leaving us like that?
This was a great story. I really
wished it would have continued.
You're onto something with this story.


Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

631 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 19, 2011
Last Updated on August 21, 2011
Tags: Crime, fiction, chapter

Author

Ryzo
Ryzo

United Kingdom



About
I am a young enthousiastic individual looking to escape into my imagination and write to my hearts content. more..

Writing
The Angel The Angel

A Story by Ryzo


Mite Of Men: Part 1 Mite Of Men: Part 1

A Chapter by Ryzo


Mite Of Men: Part 2 Mite Of Men: Part 2

A Chapter by Ryzo



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..