Glass slipper

Glass slipper

A Poem by Alicante lullaby
"

means, perhaps,i'm never going to be able to grow up...

"

pate de foie gras

and the waiter is garcon here

where the air smells of my caffeinated soaps

and your sophistication.

Fingers trailing the cutlery gently,

you are all lovered up,

intractable,cold and aloof like you have always been

when you speak.

You speak of how wonderful it is

that i have finally grown up...Good byes and remember mes..

aren't we way too mature for all that stuff,

life can't always be fairy talic..etc..etc

and all the while my eyes keep staring

at my small school girl's feet,

still school girl's,

wondering why real girls can't leave behind glass slippers. 

© 2010 Alicante lullaby


Author's Note

Alicante lullaby

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
. whoa ! ... wow ! ... my point exactly ... i'm going to fight for the freedom of every girl to wonder about leaving behind glass slippers ... especially while in a "meaningful conversation" with the "sophisticated" ... every time eben would switch on the repressed pastor in him ... and bore me to death ... (his sermons could easily replace sedatives) ... a song would start playing in my head ... "raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens, bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens, brown paper packages tied up with strings, these are a few of my favourite things" ... (the sound of music classic) ... and i'd turn into an elf inside my head ... i could've chosen another song but i had to also focus on not laughing ... oh, the things we girls have to go through ...

yeh kaise shehzaade hain
jinhein kaanch ki chappal dikhai nahi deti
uske sahaare humein dhoondna to door ki baat
inhein toh humaara vajood hi nazar nahi aata

Posted 13 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
J
I think every girl wants to be a Cinderella secretly...
this "sophistication" seems two-dimensional, boring even...

Posted 13 Years Ago


You certainly do have a winning way with the written word! I love reading your writing. Your voice, pacing and imagery are refreshing and quite enjoyable!

Apparently, I did not get the same feeling as most of the other reviewers did. I get the impression that "i" has either had it with the fairly tale and all the uptight, snooty people in it; or, is new to the scene and wants to go back to reality where "i" doesn't have to pretend to be something they're not.

My impression of your last line leans more toward "i" wanting to leave her glass slippers behind in fairy tale land, instead of leaving them behind for her Prince Charming to find her with.

This was a great write, even if I completely missed the point. Thank you for sharing!!!

Posted 13 Years Ago


oh, the voice is so tall, and I know I've said that before, but the voice is so lovely and young and old all at the same time, wonderfully written

Posted 13 Years Ago


I started off challenged to work out why you did not write 'pate de foie gras' - and wondered if there was a significance in the change .. so I got off to a bad start! Then I wondered who the 'lovered up' (lovely phrase!) person was that was so superior, it seems... and then I got into the thrust of the thing, the struggle to know where one is in the grand scheme of things... the feeling that somehow it is impossible to arrive... and the wish that it was not necessary to, anyway...

Always, clever and accomplished... I love your writing...

Posted 13 Years Ago


I see in this a woman who has grown up into a princess maybe but under all this grown up-ness still is the child like behavior, beliefs and we wonder why hasn't she let go of childhood things. Interesting write.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I feel the squirm of sitting in the lap of luxury , and the hold of dreams held to heart, with magic words to be revealed at the end of the tale ~

Posted 13 Years Ago


the thing about glass slippers is that when they break, they hurt more than you feelings...i really like the way you put these shards of words together

Posted 13 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
TAO
Well, I'm no girl, but I think I get it...I think... And who really wants to grow up?

This is an endearing piece, and one I think that we can all identify with.

Posted 13 Years Ago


The words were beautiful. I read the poem a few times. I like the simple conversation.
"You are all lovered up,
intractable,cold and aloof like you have always been
when you speak."
I like the last line. The poem open the door to many things. A excellent poem.
Coyote

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

280 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 15, 2010
Last Updated on December 16, 2010

Author

Alicante lullaby
Alicante lullaby

About
The Hanging Man By the roots of my hair some god got hold of me. I sizzled in his blue volts like a desert prophet. The nights snapped out of the sight like a lizard's eyelid: The wor.. more..

Writing
... ...

A Poem by Alicante lullaby



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Heart in Hand Heart in Hand

A Poem by OT


Solitude Solitude

A Poem by Linear