The Frog Catching Place

The Frog Catching Place

A Story by Shannon
"

Summer Days

"

I take an unfamiliar route to a familiar place. Can’t see much of the former road, just a wide treeless swath through the forest, its entrance from the gravel road blocked by wooden fence posts which were driven deep into the soil at least four decades ago. I can feel the grooves, worn into the dirt from generations of driving; clover, wild flowers and tall grasses making them invisible.


I inhale, a deep breath. Smelling the dampness - decay and life. The sight before me is both beautiful and underwhelming. As I stand, the years immediately start to peel back. A full thirty, one by one, like the pages of a calendar in reverse. Until the veil of a long-past day overlays the place before me.


*****


As I look on, they come around the corner, on a path into the clearing. The girl has strawberry-blonde hair, released from the high pony tail that keeps the fine locks confined during the school year. Her white-haired little brother trailing behind, also freed from the confines of school and the city. Several other kids are in tow: neighbours, cousins, step siblings.


They are carrying “equipment”: large gallon buckets, smaller ice cream pails, old clear deli containers (a real prize), pickle jars with holes punched in the lids, and fine-meshed nets.


The blonde boy says out loud: “The Frog Catching Place.”

It is not a description, but the name of the place given by the boy (creative soul that he is) last summer and adopted by the children.


Two ponds are split by a derelict, hard-packed dirt road. A rain barrel rusts in one of the ponds. A car, abandoned long ago, sits nearby, the remains of one front tire completely buried in mud. When the weather is dry and the mud turns to earth, the car looks as though it is being absorbed into the ground.


The ponds are surrounded by pine trees, next to aspen and poplar, creating a denseness only found in mixed forests. Wild roses, and Saskatoon berry bushes grow at the margins. Tiger lilies, clover, flat ground cover and tiny wild strawberries, that taste as though they have a whole strawberry’s worth of flavour in their diminutive fruit, spread out closer to the pond.


The water at The Frog Catching Place is clear. Until someone disturbs the thick layer of sediment and debris resting at the bottom, then a brown, rusty sludge swirls through. Cattails line the far edge, as do tall green reeds. Poplar leaves rattle in the breeze. Birds call: chickadees say their name, ravens click tongues and swallows sing brightly. Sometimes a red squirrel starts chattering, a red-tailed hawk having ventured too close to her nest.


“Jordan,” the girl leading the kids says, with all the authority her 8-year-old body and voice can muster, catching her brother’s attention, while she reminds everyone of the rules:


“Don’t go in the water without boots, or flip flops (she has added the flip flops, the adults said boots);

Don’t kill anything (except the mosquitoes, and horse flies, which are always on the executioner’s block here at the lake, so it doesn’t need to be said);

Don’t catch anything bigger than a squirrel (larger animals aren’t always safe to catch);

Let everything go before bedtime (this forest is protected by the Province; the kids protect it, too).”


This speech is met with scattered, “Yes, Sarah”s, before the kids also scatter.


Two boys and a girl use their nets to catch light colored butterflies and iridescent dragonflies. There are exuberant shouts as one of them catches a bright blue butterfly. All three children carefully transfer their catch into a clear container, along with leaves and flowers plucked from the plant upon which the butterfly was resting when captured, to help it feel at home.


Children gather briefly to admire the spectacular catch. Patting the catcher and his assistants on the back for successfully corralling such a unique specimen, before running off to attempt to one-up them.


A dark haired boy, about Sarah’s age, is hunting salamanders, which are alluringly elusive. They are motionless at times; their camouflage highly effective at hiding them from children’s eyes. Sarah goes over to negotiate.


"If you go in there, you will make the water all cloudy.” She doesn’t want that; she and Jordan have a plan today.


“But I think I can see them just under that branch,” he says pointing towards the centre of the pond.


“Okay, so why don’t you stay in this pond? I’ll take that one.”


Sarah points across the defunct dirt road, and successfully brokers the deal.


“You were right, Sarah!” Jordan says, his voice loud, as he stands on the edge of the pond and leans the upper part of his body forward to peer into the water.


Sarah and her brother examine the little frogs that are their pursuit for the day. The mission is to catch at least one at each stage, from tadpole to frog. The frogs are just emerging now. Yesterday Sarah had confidently told Jordan that there would be real frogs for them to catch today.


“So we catch one of each?” Jordan asks.


“Yes: a tadpole, a tadpole with legs, a frog with a tail and a plain frog.”

Their task outlined, they set to work. Sarah hopes the hunt will keep her brother busy for a long time. She carefully leans over the pond and retrieves ice cream pails full of water.


Jordan readies two big buckets. To one pail, he adds a few large rocks, that will break the surface of the pond water. Frogs don’t always like to swim. And remembering last summer - when all the frogs jumped out of even their biggest pail - he ensures the lid fits snugly.


The second pail is filled with pond water for tadpoles; they don’t need a break from swimming. The ice cream pail will act as a holding tank while Sarah and Jordan examine each creature to determine into which category they fall.


They start by netting some tadpoles, which are quickly transferred to the makeshift holding tank. At least a dozen of the minnow-like pre-frogs dart along the edges of the pail, looking for a way out.


After several minutes, Jordan looks up, “I can't tell which are which. How can we make them hold still?”


“Maybe we can try blocking off some with the net?”


Many minutes and awkward attempts later, Jordan has an idea. “Let’s only catch a few.”


With this new plan, they are able to identify and add a regular tadpole and a tadpole with legs to their large buckets, concurring that the tadpole with legs does not need to be in the bucket with the rocks yet.


It’s a simple matter to catch a frog. They perfected a technique the previous summer. Simply watch the plants on the shore for the twitching movement that indicates a leap, which looks very different from the smooth movement of the harmless garter snakes that sometimes also hunt the pond. Get down low and pluck the frog from the foliage, using a thumb and pointer finger on the frog’s sides between the front and rear legs. Sarah and Jordan each catch one in short order.


“Let's keep the biggest one,” Jordan decides.


Big is a relative term; these frogs reach about two inches, nose to rump. But they compare and decide to keep Jordan's catch.


Yesterday, there were many creatures swimming in the ponds that resembled frogs with tails. But today, they all seem to have disappeared. They are now the frogs leaping all around the pond, not magical disappearing creatures, but in Sarah and Jordan’s minds, there is not much difference.


More trial and error finally gives way to the blunt instrument approach. Since the frogs with tails still swim in the pond, the kids simply catch as many as they can, putting back the pure tadpoles and examining the rest more closely.


Success! Jordan calls the kids over, “we did it, we found them all!” He’s dancing back and forth one foot to another, unable to squelch his excitement.


*****


As the children conclude their hunt, the sounds of diesel engines and heavy metal doors closing are trying to pry me back into the present, poking holes in the veil of the past. Loud cracking sounds succeed and that long ago summer falls away. The road crew is using sledgehammers to hit the fence posts, a solid thwack to each side, loosening them for removal. Making way for the equipment attached to the rumbling engines.


Adult eyes look at The Frog Catching Place. The ponds are symmetrical. Rounded off rectangles of equal size that hug either side of the still visible dirt road. The remnants of the water barrel, a fuel tank for a home, sit below the surface of the water, rusty tendrils reaching out into the water around it.


I inhale fully one more time. Toxic fumes invade the smell that seemed so alive minutes ago. This breath is released unexpectedly as a sigh. It is cold enough in the early summer morning sun that my sigh is a brief, visible cloud.


I’m relieved to see the tadpoles haven’t hatched yet and only a few frogs have emerged from hibernation, as the excavator and dump truck advance down the abandoned roadway. They’re here to finish remediating the illegal junk yard that was discovered nearly forty years ago.


The soil, removed along with the junk, was never replaced, leaving two large, unnatural craters in the natural clearing. It has been decided they have no place in a pristine forest. The crew and machines are here to finish the aborted endeavor to reclaim the land.


I turn and take a familiar path, around the corner, out of The Frog Catching Place.


© 2017 Shannon


Author's Note

Shannon
Constructive feedback welcome.

A slightly more polished version (I hope) than the original

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love this. I am very new to this site and have been looking at various writers' pages to find the mesmerity of this site. I am trying to attempt writing a review for a story. First of all and everything, your delicacy with wordings and the connectivity with nature left a joyful mark in my mind. You wrote it with little details which really mattered. I am no expert but I surely believe that if an editor chooses to publish this story he would have very little work to do with this writing. I will visit your page again. Keep writing!

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 7 Years Ago


Shannon

7 Years Ago

Thank you. Learning what details people like to hearing has been an interesting process for me. An.. read more
i enjoyed reading this story. i'll try to review it in a couple ways.

first, i liked the descriptions and imagery in the sense that i've also experienced nostalgia the exact same way. i visited my long lost childhood neighborhood a few years ago and had memories exactly as the narrator explains them in this story. this story seems extremely realistic, and i would believe that its nonfiction if you told me it is.

second, as far as a short story goes, every detail should usually have a purpose. i personally think every word in a short story should be important. in this sense alone the details seem quite exhausting, and it makes me feel like this should be a chapter in a much larger story, a story about childhood and nostalgia and how life changes and insights about growing up and realizations about how the world changes and so on. if i'm going to read so many details, i want to read a much longer storyline about the narrator and the characters in the narrator's life. i want to know the significance of all these details to the narrator.

overall, i enjoy this story. my only suggestion would be to either cut some of the details to make it a very meaningful short story or turn it into a much larger story that reveals the significance of all the little details in this story. does that make sense? i hope it does.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 7 Years Ago


Shannon

7 Years Ago

It does make sense and I appreciate the thoughtful feedback. Thank you for the review.
I remember similar spots from my childhood.
And my children have their own spots now.
Sad when things are destroyed. Feels like something in you dies and you mourn it.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 7 Years Ago


Shannon

7 Years Ago

I am thrilled to hear your children have spaces like this! Not many do in this age. Thanks for the.. read more
That's progress huh? Thanks for sharing yet another great story with us. The visuals definitely worked. I loved the descriptions. A lot of them were almost musical, a little alliteration and all the right words, really transported me right into the story with you.
"the dampness: decay and life"
"Poplar leaves rattle in the breeze. Birds call: chickadees say their name," (Honest I felt like could sing that whole paragraph actually. It's beautiful.) So without further ado I award you with the Andronicus Prize for brilliant descriptions (which I just invented then but dont tell anyone that trivial detail) and I'll be on my way. :) Cheerio, see you next time!


This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 7 Years Ago


Shannon

7 Years Ago

I would like to thank the Andronicus prize committee.... And those who helped me both with this piec.. read more
Well hello stranger, i thought i would pop in the cafe as i had some spare time finally and iam glad i did! Lobely story..reminded me of when i went to visit an estate we ljved on as a kid which was derelict for years so when we went back all trees etc were growing inside the homes.....some of which were still full of furniture where. Residents had just up and left. Crazy. This story is perfect, not too wordy at all, grammer good and visuals just right. Leaves the reader with a feeling kf sadness for their own childhood, the fun, the memories and the desire to go back just one more time and grab that feeling of utter carelessness....thanks now iam all nostalgic haha, excellent write

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 7 Years Ago


Shannon

7 Years Ago

Hello yourself. Good to see you! Glad you liked this one. That's crazy, furniture and trees! Nos.. read more
hcarson

7 Years Ago

I wish i had had a camera..in my nans old home was a mirror on the chimmey wall that as a child i wa.. read more
WOW! WOW! And WOW! Your descriptions literally JUMP off the page here, my friend! I'm so impressed with the fresh vivid details . . . something I'm often hungering for . . . specifics that transport me to a similar place, or a similar experience from childhood. It's brilliant the way you have told your story by going back in time, then returning to the present-day destruction . . . excellent transitions between these parts. "The Frog Catching Place" is such a simple, heart-warming way to name this piece & this place. This is one of the best of yours that I've read so far! Love it! (((HUGS)))

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 7 Years Ago


Shannon

7 Years Ago

"JUMP", hey barleygirl? 😃. Thank you so much. I feel like I am getting better at translating m.. read more
barleygirl

7 Years Ago

I'm a total frog nut myself . . . I watch frogs in my garden for fun! *smile*
You ask about wordiness. I may not be the typical Cafe reader but I want more. It is a cool story as is but what are the relationships between the children. Who's the boss, bully, awkward, shy, etc. What do they look like? What are the relationship dramas? It could be three times longer and I would only enjoy it more.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 7 Years Ago


Shannon

7 Years Ago

Thanks, busterlee. I appreciate your reading and your feedback. I think you might be unique on th.. read more
busterlee

7 Years Ago

There is something magical about childhood stories. Keep em comin.
Shannon

7 Years Ago

Thank you. Simple works for me, I guess.
A sweet story showing the children relationship. Vivid images. A very well written description of the environment.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 7 Years Ago


Shannon

7 Years Ago

Thank you Fransisco, for stopping by the read. I am glad the imagery worked for you!
This is a lovely story. But sad too. Not much different than the wonderful pond behind the recycle dump the town plans to fill in behind everyone's backs. 150 year old snapping turtles thrive there. Sigh. As for the sentences, they are complex sentences that are, by and large, grammatically correct. There are a few places a hyphen would serve instead of a comma, and a semicolon might be omitted, but generally, a very well done story. You use restrictive and non restrictive clauses well, and clearly.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 7 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

I will PM you. Currently stalling on cleaning house.:)
Shannon

7 Years Ago

Lol. Thanks.
Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

I have done my best. To be clear and thorough with first two paragraphs to start you off.:)
Fun story full of cute kid-ness and with a somewhat somber ending. To be, some of the sentences seem overly lengthy (wordy descriptions, comma-conjunctions). I didn't feel the length of the story was too long.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 7 Years Ago


Shannon

7 Years Ago

Thanks for stopping by to read and review. Always appreciated. I am terrible at punctuation. Any .. read more
Jacob Clifford

7 Years Ago

It's not so much grammatical incorrectness as a style of writing. An example of what I was talking a.. read more
Shannon

7 Years Ago

Thank. You are likely correct. I love the big complex sentences, for sure.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1258 Views
24 Reviews
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on July 31, 2016
Last Updated on January 10, 2017

Author

Shannon
Shannon

Canada



About
I like to explore the world through the human experience, at once both varied and singular. Reading, writing and meeting people makes one's world larger. I enjoy connecting with people, learning.. more..

Writing
The Lamp The Lamp

A Story by Shannon


Inevitable Inevitable

A Poem by Shannon