The Lamp

The Lamp

A Story by Shannon
"

Strange...

"
I set my book down with a sigh; sleep is calling. Touch the lamp beside me twice to take it from dim to off, wrap myself in my blankets and fall into a deep, sound sleep.

I wake up to the sounds of Soft Cell singing to me of tainted love. Lean over and touch my lamp. Nothing. I try to tap it a few more times and still nothing. I slowly get out of bed, attempting to use the dim light filtering through the curtains to find my way to the light switch on the wall. I proceed to get ready for work in the blinding light of the overhead fixture.

I go through my daily routine: breakfast, work, supper, followed by some time at a Sudoku puzzle, then bed. I touch the lamp again. Nothing. I tap the lamp. Slowly. Quickly. Use my thumb and finger to kind of pinch the lamp. Nothing. So I resign myself to reading in the harsh overhead lighting.

The following morning, Joan Jett wakes me up. I don’t give a damn about my bad reputation either, Joan! In my sleepy state, I reach out for my bedside lamp and am rewarded with nice, soft light. Relieved it seems to be working again, I go about my day and think no more on it.
*
This lamp is driving me crazy: sometimes it works, sometimes it refuses! I love the lamp; it was such a find. It is made of some sort of cast iron. It is both ornate and simple, with smooth curving lines. I refer to it as art deco, but, in reality, I have no idea when or where it was made.

The switch broke sometime before I found it at a garage sale. Since the wiring ran through the whole base and appeared to be impossible to change, I simply added the necessary components to make it a touch lamp, using a three-way bulb made it dimmable. A new shade in light charcoal color compliments it nicely, I think. I take it apart and adjust the added wiring. It works again for several days.
*
This time Aerosmith wakes me up with a clever little tune about a man in drag, I think. And the stupid lamp once again will not respond to my touch. I feel a sharp pain in my big toe as it connects with the leg of my dresser, a mere few inches short of the wall light switch. That’s it, time to try more serious rewiring!

I get all new components and spend an hour on a Saturday afternoon replacing what I can. I still cannot replace the faulty switch, but- success!- it is working when I touch it.
*
I have given up! Bought a new lamp. Nothing like the old one. Sleek and modern - all shiny silver metal and glass, angles, no curves. Being brand new, it works perfectly. Adds something different to the bedside table. Hmm, sometimes a change is nice. Maybe I should look at new curtains, as well, get some darker ones. I fall asleep happy with my choice.
*
Wake up to Bryan Adams strumming a guitar and singing nostalgically about a long ago summer. Reach out to turn on my lamp and stare in confusion. It is summer now, so the light that filters into the bedroom is much brighter.

I can clearly see the new lamp on my bedside table has been replaced by the faulty one I added to the trash last night. Anger and confusion well up. I shove the lamp, sending it crashing to the floor. I get out of bed, I am going to throw it away for good!

As I walk by the mirror that hangs by the closet, I stop, cold. There is an image of me, putting on my lipstick, like I do every morning. Except my hair is shorter. And the lamp is glowing softly on the other side of the lamp.

Enraged now, I go to the mirror, check the back, examine the glass, try to pull if from the wall with no avail. Who could be playing such ridiculous pranks! As I look around the room, I notice everything is fuzzy and indistinct. The only two things in focus are the hated lamp and the taunting mirror. I must be dreaming.

That’s it…must be. But then I have a terrible thought. Hoping, praying, pleading this is really a prank or a nightmare, I peer back into the glass, banging as hard as I dare.
*
I finish putting on my lipstick in the mirror and run my hand through my sleek new haircut.

A thud startles me, seeming to come from behind the mirror. A shadow seems to be cast on it, as well. I will need to see if the old glass in the antique mirror needs to be replaced, sometimes they crack or darken with age. I touch my favorite lamp to turn it off, then leave for work.

© 2017 Shannon


Author's Note

Shannon
This one is not yet a finished product.
First, I think it needs more show, less tell. Which parts would you like to see expanded (if any)?
The end is open to interpretation. Did itake any sense to you?
All constructive feedback welcome.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Your story has a great creep-factor. I'm not sure you really need to expand upon anything. Sometimes leaving the reader with a little mystery is a good thing.

Shannon, I wanted to thank you for your review on my poem: So Desirous Below the Grave. Not long after creating my account here and posting my poem, my home was robbed and they took my laptop so I lost all my work and became a bit depressed. Regardless, Schatzi, another member of WritersCafe, has encouraged me to return, and I saw your review but was not able to respond. Again, thank you for your helpful review and I look forward to reading more of your work.

Posted 3 Years Ago


What I read I liked. I feel you must go on and let us know what she finds out about this mysterious quality about her older lamp. But then again, is it just the lamp, what about the mirror? Is there something else at play here? Shannon, you've roused my curiosity! Thank you -

Take care - Dave

Posted 5 Years Ago


I loved this a lot i love the style and the way it is so mysterious.
very good writing.
I just didnt get the last para or the ending? sorry is it a time travel? good work

Posted 5 Years Ago


I enjoyed this. I interpreted the ending not as a parallel world but to do with the old mystical lamps power's... she threw it out and now it's having its revenge

Posted 5 Years Ago


rather eerie ending... i guess it can be interpreted but I think it's haunted.
and I am serious impressed at the electrical skills and of course I smiled at the mention of bryan adams because like most good canadian girls i crushed on him pretty good in my younger days.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Shannon

5 Years Ago

Thank you Ana. I am curious as to people's understanding of the ending thank you for including your .. read more
I can't see much that needs to be changed here, from my inexpert point of view. I agree that the balance of show and tell is a bit on the telling side, but that works in this story.

The concept is a trip. I enjoyed the open ending. I like that you leave it to us to interpret things.

I really really like the pop songs and the narrator talking back to them. I know these songs, but I wonder if all your audience will. But it is so perfect the way it is, maybe just leave it alone.

This makes me think of Ray Bradbury.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Shannon

6 Years Ago

I always welcome your point of view and appreciate your thoughts.

I songs are meant .. read more
SweetNutmeg

6 Years Ago

Haha, I was thinking maybe the songs should be left alone as Easter eggs for us oldies.
I don't think expansion is necessary at all. I also think that the small nods to the wake-up songs is sufficient. I'll leave grammar and such to those better qualified...but I like the vagueness that lets the reader ponder what's up with the lamp and the mirror. Good job.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Shannon

6 Years Ago

Thank you for the read and review. I appreciate your thoughts. Did the end take you somewhere?
Carol Cashes

6 Years Ago

Yeah, wishing I had that mirror....haven't been to my stylist in months! Seriously, upon reconsider.. read more
This is a different kind of magic lamp, it seems. That darned switch! The fix-it guy in me wants to tear into it. Oh, but then it wouldn't be this much fun. You're channeling a bit of Rod Serling here, and hope you continue the tale. (I just know there's some juicy-creepy story behind this lamp)

Posted 6 Years Ago


Shannon

6 Years Ago

Good point. A lamp indeed. Thank you for reading.
Love the last three paragraphs.
Play with it for awhile.


Posted 6 Years Ago


Shannon

6 Years Ago

Thank you for the read and review.

I have been...
I really enjoyed this! Great use of details & for me, it felt like a good balance between show & tell. Here are a few ideas of how you could do less tell & more show, tho . . .

1. Instead of saying: "I tap the lamp" . . . you could just use sound words like "tap" or to show you're trying a different touch, you could use imaginative ways to show that thru sound words (onomotopeia or however that's spelled).

2. Love the different tunes you're speaking of, but instead of making it a conversation ABOUT the song, you could start each of these paragraphs with some of the lyrics & also use motion or other dynamic imagery to show us that you're dancing or toe-tapping to such-and-such an artist.

All in all, I can feel the frustration, surprise, etc., all the various responses to the different lamp situations, these feelings come across strong thru your telling, without describing the feeling itself.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Shannon

6 Years Ago

Thank you barleygirl. Really appreciate your thoughts, as always. Good ideas and feedback. You are a.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

802 Views
15 Reviews
Added on June 25, 2017
Last Updated on June 25, 2017

Author

Shannon
Shannon

Canada



About
I like to explore the world through the human experience, at once both varied and singular. Reading, writing and meeting people makes one's world larger. I enjoy connecting with people, learning.. more..

Writing
Inevitable Inevitable

A Poem by Shannon


Here Here

A Poem by Shannon