My grandmother

My grandmother

A Story by SUGATA M

My grandmother lived alone in her big house in our village. Nobody visited her in her house except me. I made time to time visit to her after my school. She always fed me well with chocolates, pastries and sweet drinks at her home.
My grandmother was not at all in good terms with my father and mother. She refused to give her big house to them. Rather she chose me to inherit her house. So my parents allowed me to visit my grandmother without any objection.
When I completed my school education I moved to Maputo to do my university courses. When those were finished I migrated to South Africa with my boyfriend as he got a job there. I got married to him there and became mother of a beautiful baby girl after one year of my marriage.
I was in constant touch with my family in Mozambique though became totally cut off from my grandmother. She didn’t use a phone, so she couldn’t be contacted.
Meanwhile, in one of the Christmas holidays we decided to visit our old village.
My parents were very happy to get me and my family back to them. My small daughter soon became their hot favorite.
Next we visited my grandmother. She became older and frail. She welcomed us with her usual warmth. I introduced her to my husband and daughter.
I was surprised when she told me straightway that I can no more inherit her house. ‘I have decided not to hand over my house to you as I told you before. I break my promise.’
I didn’t ask her why. I knew the reason of her decision. I didn’t keep in touch with her, neither asked about her health and well-being a single time in all these years. She must be unhappy with me for that.
I was so wrong!
She, with lot of difficulties knelt down before my daughter, pulled her to her bosom and cuddled her softly with a passionate kiss on her forehead.
‘You know what?’ My grandmother told me. ‘Why I just deprived you of the inheritance of my house? I just got someone else to replace you. This small girl of yours! She will get my house after my death.’
My grandmother didn’t break her promise further.
My daughter became the owner of her big, palatial house after her death.

© 2021 SUGATA M


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

32 Views
Added on February 20, 2021
Last Updated on February 20, 2021

Author

SUGATA M
SUGATA M

New Delhi, South Asia, India



About
Moody, creative, romantic man loves intelligent and witty women and friendly men, adores simplicity and abominates double standard more..

Writing
VIDA VIDA

A Story by SUGATA M


Scent Scent

A Story by SUGATA M


May Day May Day

A Poem by SUGATA M