Chapter 4: To Die or Not to Die!

Chapter 4: To Die or Not to Die!

A Chapter by Sabriel09
"

This is the day that Sabriel is supposed to be executed....will she be executed or will she be saved?

"
Sabriel wakes up to the sound of boots clanking down the hallway. She sits up and looks at the door as keys jingle. She sighs deeply thinking to herself 'Today is the day I die! Well it's been a long run!' She stands up as the door is pushed open and Hendrik walks in with three other guards. "Sabriel...It's time to go.." Hendrik states, his eyes cast down to the ground.

Sabriel looks at Hendrik's face, seeing the stress running across it. "So soon? My father must want me dead that bad?" She says softly, as she steps towards him. "I am ready, Hendrik!"

Hendrik looks up at Sabriel, putting cuffs on her wrists. "I am truly sorry Sabriel. I tried talking your father into dungeon time instead of the death sentence. I wish there was more I could do." Hendrik sighs softly and turns to the side motioning for the door. "Let's go..."

"It is fine Hendrik. I cannot help what my father has become. It seems it gets off on watching people die." She lets out a soft chuckle as she leaves the cell, Hendrik and the guards follow suit. "But why did he send so many guards, Hendrik? Does he think I would try and escape?"

Hendrik looks at the three guards as they turn left and walk the opposite direction, pulling Sabriel with them. "I had your cousin's, Jim, Gerald, and Jonathan, dress up as guards so we can get you out of here." Hendrik whispers in Sabriel's ear as they open another door.

Sabriel stops in her tracks and turns towards Hendrik. "What did you say?!" She asks wide-eyed, looking from Hendrik to the guards. As she speaks, the three guards take off their helmets, showing their faces. "Jim! Gerald! Jonathan! But why? I thought you hated me as well as my father did?!"

Jim lets out a soft laugh. "No, we love you Sabriel! When we heard about your father sending troops out to find, we tried looking for you but had no such luck. We do not want to see you die by your father's hands." Jim puts his helmet back on. "Come, let's go before someone sees us"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
(The King's Chamber)
King George III looks up from his meal as a guard walks in with a panicked look on his face. The guard throws himself at George's feet babbling so fast the king cannot understand him. "What is it Jamie?" The King bellows drunkenly. "What's causing you so much fright?"

Jamie looks up at the King hesitating before speaking. "Your Majesty, Sabriel has escaped....again! With Hendrik, Jim, Gerald, and Jonathan helping her. They escaped the castle early this morning M'lord!"

George sits and stares at Jamie, letting this news digest before speaking. "What!? How did they help her escape? I sent three guards with Hendrik this morning to fetch her! I was going to be nice and let her eat with her father before she died! Damn that Hendrik! I knew he still loved Sabriel!"

Jamie cowers away from the king a little bit. "Those guards were really Jim, Gerald, and Jonathan."

George growls under his breathe. "I'll kill them along with that stupid wench! Send all the guards we have to fetch them back. I WANT HER DEAD!" George gets up and stumbles out of the chamber and stomps up the stairs to his bedchamber, pushing people out of the way as he goes.

Seeing the king angry, Jamie gets up and runs outside to the barracks. He throws the door open and runs inside. "MEN ALL TO ARMS. WE ARE ON A MAN HUNT! WE LEAVE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!"

All the soldiers jump up at the sound of Jamie's booming voice. They scatter around packing things and putting armor on. Some are sharpening swords, broad heads, and daggers. Others are getting the horses. Jamie smiles at the excite he sees in the men. 'They will be happen when the wench is dead.' He thinks to himself as he walks around, checking on the progress.
------------------------------------------------------------
(A creek south of Bridgeton)
-----Running, running, running. Sabriel dreamt of running. She can't see the person's face, it's a blur, but she still runs. She's running for her life. She's running to save Hendrik's life and her cousins. She runs in fear of the man chasing her. She hides under a tree that has fallen. Footsteps close by, she holds her breath, her eyes closed tightly. She can hear the ragged breathing of the man chasing her. Wait......he is coming closer......he sniffs as if he can sense her. Sabriel covers her mouth from screaming. Suddenly a hand grabs Sabriel's throat and-----

Sabriel wakes up with a scream, her hands on her throat. Hendrik rushes over and sits in front of her. "What is it, Sabriel?" He asks with worry, his hands on her face. He looks in her eyes, seeing the fear in them.

"Tis just a dream, Hendrik. A horrible dream. I am sorry for waking you." She looks at the ground as she wipes sweat from her forehead. She smiles at Hendrik. "But I am okay now. Please go back to bed. I will stand guard the rest of the night."

Hendrik looks at Sabriel with concern than nods. He remembered that her dreams have a tendency to come true. 'Whatever she dreamt of, I will make sure it doesn't happen.' He gives Sabriel another hug than gets up and lays down on the other side of the burning fire. "Good night Sabriel." He whispers before shutting his eyes.

Sighing, Sabriel gets up and folds up her blanket. She looks at her three sleeping cousins with concern. 'I do not want them to get hurt because of me. I must leave so none of them get hurt.' She walks to a tree stump and sits on it, her back to the fire. She pulls out a dagger and begins sharpening it. Her eyes are cast upon the blade but they do not see the blade, they are far off into her thoughts.

'What did that dream mean? Am I just going to die without a fighting chance?' She thought to herself angrily. 'I will not go down without a fight. Tis not the way of an elf.'

Sabriel gets back up and walks to her things. She starts packing quietly as she continues to think to herself. 'I will not be the cause of my cousin's deaths. I will not let Hendrik die because of me. I must travel far away from them. I will leave them a note explaining that I am turning myself in.' She quietly walks to her horse strapping her bags down. She smiles at Pegasus as she rubs his neck. "Tis just you and me now, my pet." She whispered softly to Pegasus as he nudged her hand.

Before leaving, Sabriel pulls out parchment and a quill. She writes in elegant handwriting. 'I am turning myself into my father. Do not follow me! I will not watch as you four die for my sake.'

She sets the note down by Hendrik's head. She than climbs on to Pegasus' back, digging her heels into his flanks. Pegasus trotts into the woods than picks up speed, leaving the four males far behind them.


© 2010 Sabriel09


Author's Note

Sabriel09
Ignore grammar problems, if i should change anything let me know

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

A very good chapter. Setting up for a final battle for his life. The story is very good. Thank you for sharing.
Coyote

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

295 Views
1 Review
Added on December 22, 2009
Last Updated on February 3, 2010


Author

Sabriel09
Sabriel09

Hartley, IA



About
I like to read about vampires and romances. I am more into vampires but I like them even better it there is a romance involved. I am into anime as well. My favorite anime is Bleach. I am currently wri.. more..

Writing
My Heart My Heart

A Poem by Sabriel09


You are! You are!

A Poem by Sabriel09