Death is Inevitable

Death is Inevitable

A Story by Samantha Young
"

I can't describe this one, lol. Just something I wrote while I was bored.

"

Death is inevitable.

 

They have existed for centuries among us. Some believe . . . others do not. Their existence has become legends and myths for most people…but in reality, they exist. They attack without any thought or remorse for their victims. They are deadly when the sun goes down. They walk among us during the day, but they are not and never will be your friend. They will kill, even their own kind, to survive. Some say they are beasts, others say they are Gods. Your opinion remains your own. All you should remember is that they exist…and they are lethal.

***

Lily stepped out of her room into the dark corridor of her new two level house. She tiptoed, feeling her way along the unfamiliar house until she arrived at the top of the spiral staircase. She cautiously descended and immediately noticed that the light was still on in her brother’s room. She stepped up to his door and knocked on it softly.

            “What Lily?”

            Lily walked in and saw her brother sprawled out across his bed, reading. She stepped up to his bedpost and leaned on it as she stared at him.

            “Midnight snack?”

            “Cheese and crackers?” Jeremy turned to look up at her from his book.

            Lily nodded her head and walked into the kitchen. She opened the fridge and pulled out the cheese wiz and crackers.

            The house was quiet, as always. Her parents were hardly ever home. As soon as they had all moved into the new house, her mom was called to a medical seminar in New Jersey and her dad was called to a political debate in Washington. So, she was left with her brother and older sister in the boring countryside of Alabama, where nothing ever happened.

Lily glanced out the window and smiled. It had not stopped raining since they had moved into the house, and she loved the rain. She loved the thunder, the lightening…every aspect of a storm in general. She liked things that seemed dangerous to other people. In Alabama, a storm was as dangerous as it got.

            She walked back to her brother’s room and placed the plate with the snack on his bedside table.

            “Thanks.” Jeremy sat up and picked up the plate. “Are you planning on going to school tomorrow? I’m not.”

            “Um…nah. Guess I’ll stay home too.”

            Lily turned and walked towards the door.

            “Lily…” Jeremy got up, walked to his window, and stared out.

            Lily faced his turned back and leaned in the doorway.

            “Yes?”

            “I’m sorry for last week. I really didn’t know what to do…I hope I didn’t scare you with what I did to you…” Jeremy smiled slightly at the lightening as it highlighted his gray eyes.

            Lily’s hand immediately went to her neck. She traced her shaky fingers along the bite marks and shook her head.

            “It’s ok. Nothing has happened yet. Maybe you didn’t turn me.”

            Lily walked out quickly before she could hear her brother mutter, “Everyone turns.”

            Jeremy knew what was coming, and he was preparing himself for it. He had been a werewolf for five years, ever since someone who he had never met before turned him. However, he had learned to fight the urges to attack people with the help of his pack. However, one night, the moon was fuller and brighter than usual, and he attacked his sister as she was walking through the woods aimlessly. She had fallen unconscious after his bite, and he had taken her home. For hours, she was unconscious. He thought she was dead, but she was still breathing. Finally, six hours later, she had woken up as if nothing had happened. Nothing was wrong with her, except for the permanent bite marks on the side of her neck. She went to school normally, and covered her neck with her hoodie or hair.

            But even though everything seemed fine, Jeremy knew she had turned. He was waiting patiently for his twin sister’s werewolf to appear. He had to prevent her from killing anyone. He had to stop her from becoming what he was…a killer. He killed so many innocent people, all because he had the unsustainable need for human blood.

            “Jeremy!”

            Jeremy quickly ran out his room and stumbled over a chair in the hallway as he made his way to the kitchen. He looked into Lily’s frightened gray eyes and growled. He walked over to her cautiously as she pointed with a shaky finger to the kitchen window. He looked out the window and saw nothing but the dark woods and rain.

            “Someone’s out there! I swear! I saw him!” Lily wrapped her arms around herself, shaking slightly.

            “Lily, no one is out there. Maybe you should just go back to bed.” Jeremy walked over to her and patted her shoulder.

            “I can’t sleep…at all.” Lily walked to the sink, poured some water into a cup, and sipped it.

            “Lily, when was the last time you slept?” Jeremy studied the dark circles under her eyes.

            “Since the accident.” Lily said as she turned on her heel and walked to the front door.

            Ever since his attack on her, she had referred to it as the ‘accident’. She grabbed her black sweater from the coat rack and zipped it up.

            “You can not be serious.” Jeremy growled, the werewolf in him began to appear as his eyes turned yellow.

            Lily pulled the sweater over her head and opened the door. The rain from the storm was now hitting the ground like bullets. She stepped into the porch and inhaled the rainy air. She knew she had seen someone lurking outside, and now she was going to find him.

            “Lily, let me go look. You stay in the house.” Jeremy pulled her back into the house and walked out into the rain.

            Just when she was about to do something exciting, her protective brother ruins it. She grumbled to herself and walked back into the house, locking the front door. Jeremy never used the front door anymore. She walked back to his room and locked that door too. His room was the safest room to her. She crawled into his bed and waited silently, listening for any odd sound.

            “Do you always hide in your brother’s room?” someone hissed from behind her.

            Lily turned to where the voice had come from. Thunder rocked the house and the lightening highlighted the stranger’s figure. Lily slowly slipped off the bed and walked towards the door. She turned the lock, opened it and ran out into the hall. Her heart was stuck in her throat the entire time, as she began running to the front door, fearing for her life.     

            She skidded to a stop. He was suddenly there in front of her. His head bowed slightly so she could not see his face. But she did not need to, as she could tell by the grace of his steps as he slowly walked up to her, and the sound that his voice had made that he was far beyond human. His scent made her look up at him in surprise. She hated that scent, but she did not know why. It made her sick to her stomach, and she felt like throwing up. From the small amount of information that her brother had warned her about werewolves and other magical creatures, she knew what this man was. He was the thing that all werewolves feared and despised. He was the thing that werewolves killed for fun and amusement. He was a blood sucking, blood thirsty . . . vampire.

            She quickly walked around him and backed towards the door. She reached behind and gripped the lock to open it. Something halted her movements as she studied his appearance. His shoulder length hair was in messy clumps and streaks, far too messy to have been combed or washed in a least a month, but . . . it shone as if it had been cleaned a few hours ago. His hair hung around his neck and face, draping down over the neck of his black, satin, button up shirt. His shirt clung to his lean body as if becoming one with his upper body.

            The cuffs of his sleeves were folded back, giving him the look of a proper Englishman.  His leather pants seemed to cling to his legs, black leather against tight sinew and muscle. He looked down at her, slowly smiling as if he had read her mind, and she gasped as his face finally came into view. It was so pale! Paler than anything she had ever seen in her life. Not like the pale you’d see in a person that never got any sun…no, more like the pale that you’d see on a bloodless corpse. Almost albino it seemed but streaked with the blue of his veins that stood out in contrast to his skin.

            He continued to walk toward her, his hands in his pockets, walking with the grace of a cat.  He got within a few feet of Lily and stopped. He gazed at her as though she was a meal he was sizing up … deciding where to start first causing a shudder to flow up her back despite her attempts to force it back down.

            He laughed then, a laugh that seemed to take on a life of its own. As creepy and frightening as the laugh was, it was somehow extremely lovely.  A sound that seemed to carry its own magic and assure you that everything was going to be okay.

He looked at her again, all laughter gone from his face as he got serious and set a hard probing look to her.  He was looking for something in her face she realized with a silent shock. She shook her head, forcing her mind to come back to reality as she turned the lock and threw open the front door.

He took another step forward but stopped as the wind blew in his direction coming from behind her as it flew through the trees from the woods beyond.  Something made her stand still as stone as his face turned hard, almost angry as he stood there glaring at her. He was a perfect statue of fury and rage.

It was then she noticed his eyes. She was too busy looking at the rest of his features to notice his eyes slowly, progressively getting darker.  The brilliant green they had been was slowly growing black with pure anger and disdain.

Suddenly he was in her face, fists clenched, his face twisting in rage and hatred, fangs exposed, white and sharp.

“WHY IS IT YOU!?! WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE YOU!?! Just a plain stupid werewolf! Why do you have to smell so good! The others don’t smell like you! No one does!”

            His yelling made her turn and run into the porch. He appeared in front of her again, blocking her path to the front yard. His mouth opened wider revealing a row of perfect teeth…and the sharpest fangs she had ever seen. She whimpered and shrank away suddenly more scared than she had ever been in her entire life as he dove for her and attached himself to her neck.

Lily gasped … screamed … begged anyone to help her. She felt his sharp cold fangs puncture the skin covering the jugular vain that ran down her neck. Before he could retrieve the sweet blood from her body, a strong force knocked him to the ground.

Lily gripped her neck and held onto the banister for support. She looked to the front yard and gasped. There was Jeremy, in his jet-black werewolf form, growling fiercely at the vampire he had pinned under his paws.

The vampire swiftly moved from under him and threw him against one of the trees near the woods. Lily covered her ears as she heard the snap of Jeremy spine being broken in two. Jeremy fell from the tree, to the muddy ground, unconscious but still holding onto his life. The vampire was not yet done.

He pulled out a silver cross that he had attached to a chain around his neck and walked over to Jeremy.

“No! Don’t kill him!” Lily’s voice rang through the storm, hitting the vampire’s cold heart with warmth.

The vampire was known as the best in his clan because he refused to allow his emotions to overtake any decision making. He shook his head and pressed the cross to the werewolf’s heart. He shoved it down, puncturing the skin and stood up.

Jeremy eyes shot open as he howled in pain. His eyes turned to Lily’s tear stricken face. The vampire followed Jeremy gaze and smiled. He walked back to Lily, who was numb from shock, and tilted her neck. His fangs, once again, punctured the skin covering the jugular vain. She gasped as she finally felt the slow pumping of blood from her neck to his mouth. Her eyelids slowly covered her eyes as instant pain took over her body. He drained her until only a pint of blood was left in her body, and retreated from her.

Lily’s body fell limp to the ground as her last moments on this God forsaken earth overtook her. She was dead now.

 Her eyes never left her brother’s cold dead gray eyes. She ignored the pain that possessed her entire body. It was eating her alive … she could feel it changing her body … hot to cold … day to night … minutes to hours … it all meant nothing … only the pain existed. Her emotional state went blank … her body froze … life meant nothing to her anymore.

            The vampire took his sharp nail and slit his right wrist. He walked over to her, pulled her head up and let the blood from his wrist drip to her mouth. She felt a drip enter her mouth and touch her tongue. She instantly longed for more. The taste filled her mind, became her obsession as she instantly felt a hunger for it … a need for it. It was sweeter than honey but bitterer than any medicine.

            “That’s it,” she heard his soft voice say welcomingly. “Yes, keep going; don’t stop yet, my love.”

She drank deeply, clutching at his wrist that was spilling this ambrosia until it was suddenly wrenched from her mouth. She sat up suddenly, and turned to look at the vampire.

“I am Tristan. You belong to me now. Go hunt…kill if you must…” Tristan got up and disappeared into the woods, leaving her speechless and hungry.

Lily stood up and walked gracefully to her brother’s corpse. The vampire in her made her hate the corpse with disgust. She buried the memories of her brother and her entire family in the back of her mind and she walked away from the already maggot infected body of her deceased brother. She walked into the woods and scanned it for any human life. She needed more of that sweet blood.

She spotted a man with a rifle, hunting, and smiled to herself. She flew towards him and pinned him to the ground, oblivious to his screaming. She knew she was going to kill him, and it no longer bothered her. She licked her fangs as she covered his mouth with her hand and buried her face in his neck. His screams subsided as her fangs bit into his neck, draining his blood completely. She pulled away and stared down at the now lifeless body. A few minutes ago she would have cared about hurting someone, but now, it didn’t bother her. It was her nature now. Besides, death is inevitable…is it not?

Lily stretched and smiled at her new senses. She could hear the flowing water in the creek that was fifty miles from where she currently stood. She could smell the distant foul scent of the garbage truck that was driving along the road, miles away from her. She saw things she never thought she could see before; the distinct rabbit holes in the ground; the exact length of every line in a tree bark; even the different shades of green in a single leaf. She loved what she had become. She was dangerous now, the exact thing she had always wanted. There will be no more boring high school with perfect kids who never did anything wrong. She was free, and she loved it.

“It’s amazing, is it not?” that once scary, aggressive voice now sounded sweet and sultry to her.

She turned her head to look over at him and gasped. This was not the same vampire as before. This was not the same scary man who had attacked her and her brother. Oh no. He was . . . beautiful. His features were the same, but unlike how they frightened her before, they now made her heart race with passion and want.

He smiled at her then. A single, sweet, angelic smile . . . and she melted. She walked over to him as if he had beckoned her. Tristan reached up and stroked her cheek gently, sending shivers down her entire body from that single touch.

“Your life is going to change drastically now, Lily.” He whispered to her. “You can no longer see your parents. You will no longer be able to attend high school here. You will need to stay at my side for a long time before I can allow you to go out into the world on your own.”

“I will stay by your side forever, if that is what you desire.” Lily looked up at him longingly.

“In that case, let us return home for now. Follow me.” He commanded.

Tristan walked off at a pace that was unreachable to humans. He led her through the forest until they came to a large clearing. Lily stopped behind him and gazed up at the mansion. Granted, her last house had been big, but this house and estate with huge. It was castle �" like.

He walked ahead to the front of the house and the door opened before he reached it. Lily nervously followed him and nearly knocked into him as he abruptly stopped to the opening door.

“Welcome home, Master Tristan.” A middle �" aged man with blonde hair greeted as he bowed and stepped aside.

“Thank you, Kirby.” Tristan gently touched the man’s arm and stepped into the house.

Lily gave Kirby a slight smile as she followed Tristan. She stepped into the hallway and gaped at its luxury. The golden crystal chandelier that hung in the hallway, illuminated the entire length of the hallway. She gazed at the various doors, leading to various rooms in the house, wondering what each room was.

“There is no time to explore. Now, you need to rest. Once you have awakened, we will leave. My brother will kill you if he finds you.” Tristan said, shocking her with his last comment.

“What do you mean? Why would he kill me? Are you not allowed to turn a human?” Lily fired at him as she followed him up the stairs to small corridor with a variety of rooms.

“We are not allowed to turn other creatures. You are a werewolf, Lily. Yet . . . your blood sang to me. You are my soul mate. You might not know it now, or realize it yet, but we were destined to be together. However, I have broken the most important law of my kind. I have created you.” Tristan opened the last door and allowed her to step through.

She walked into a simple room. The room’s only possessions were a canopy bed, a bedside table and a large wardrobe.

“I will be here when you have awakened.” Tristan closed the door, leaving her to herself.

Lily had no other choice but to climb into the bed and try to sleep. Yet, sleep refused to reach her. All she could think about was the trouble that Tristan might be in if his brother saw her. She did not know exactly what the rules were, but from the tone in Tristan’s voice, she knew he was worried.

She finally fell asleep, but awoke from the presence of someone watching her. She glanced across the room at the green eyes staring at her, and she could tell there was love in them.

She sighed to herself, felling completely sorry for Tristan. He had just given himself a death sentence by turning her. He had just broken the laws that bound all magical creatures together. He had done what every magical race had vowed to never do. He created a hybrid. He created her … and he did not know what the consequences were going to be.

            Lily sat up slowly in the bed and looked up at him. She shook her head at him as something suddenly began happening to her body. She knew what it was. Her brother had warned her for days. Her werewolf side was finally appearing. She could sense and smell it. She watched as Tristan hissed and sprinted across the room to the darkest corner, his fangs exposed as he growled at her.

            Lily tried to stretch, but it hurt too much. The mixture of vampire and werewolf in her was starting to be painful. She slowly slipped off the bed and walked over to the mirror against the wall, to the right of the room. She looked into it and frowned as she instantly noticed that the skin around her eyes was darker, and her eyes had turned a dark shade of red. Even her hair was different. It was no longer brown but shimmering black.

            She walked over to the window and looked out. She was three stories above ground. She opened the window silently, knowing that Tristan’s eyes were watching her closely.

            “I wouldn’t do that if I were you.”

            Lily jumped at the unfamiliar voice and turned around. It was him. She could tell instantly from the close resemblance he had to Tristan. It was his brother. He walked over to her and studied her eyes. He placed his nose to her neck, inhaling her scent.

            “Half werewolf.” He growled as he stepped away from her and walked over to Tristan. “She’s your mate. You created the hybrid. You kill her.”

            “I can’t, Zane.” Tristan looked into Lily’s eyes.

She sighed as she noticed that his eyes were filled with pain and sadness.

            “Fine. Once again, I will clean up this mess. But only because you are my brother.” Zane turned to her and motioned for her to follow him.

            Lily looked at Tristan, confused as to whom to follow.

            “Follow him.” Tristan turned his back to her.

            He could not help her. His brother had found out and there was no stopping him. He was stronger and faster than Tristan anyway.

            She quickly followed Zane, knowing that she was walking to her doom. However, there was nothing else for her now. Her brother was already dead after all. He led her out the room, down the dark corridor, to a dimly lit staircase. They quickly walked down the stairs until they arrived at the first floor. She looked around and noticed the numerous pairs of red eyes, which she had not noticed before, staring at her from the darkest corners of their walking paths. Each vampire was terrified of her, except Zane. She began to wonder why he was not afraid as well.

            They walked through what seemed like a living room, into the kitchen and he stopped.

            “After you.” He pulled open wooden door that had incomprehensible symbols on it.

            She walked through the door and down a short flight of concrete steps. She was in a cold, dark ritual room. A table laden with various weapons stood to the back of the room. Chains hung from the ceiling to the centre of the room. Lily glanced at the chains and began to shake. She knew he was going to kill her.

            She began to panic. She closed her eyes and opened her mind, for the first time, to her brother’s pack. Her brother had told her how to do it, and she now did it easily She allowed them to see everything she was going through. To see all that had happened to her. To know that it was not her fault.

            She felt their rage. It was as if hell had opened up, let every demon in history return to earth, and cause chaos among the humans. She inhaled deeply, and looked through the only window in the room. They were already here. They had come for her.

            “Ah, your brother is here.” Zane grinned down at her. “Took you long enough to call them.”

            She knew Zane was lying. Her brother was dead.

One by one, the vampires that had hidden from her in house materialized, rage mixed with fright possessed their eyes. They began to circle her, baring their fangs hungrily at her. Instinct caused Lily to crouch down low and bare her own fangs at them. She growled loudly, a mixture of a vampire’s hiss and a werewolf’s howl.

            Shattering glass made her lose her concentration and look towards the window. One by one, each werewolf of the pack descended into the dim lit room, forming an inner circle around her. Ignoring the anger erupting from each werewolf was near to impossible. Suddenly, everything stopped. The vampires stopped circling them and looked at werewolves, picking their personal target. Zane’s eyes never left Lily’s figure. He had already picked her out as his target. She shuddered as she stared into his hate filled eyes.

            Suddenly, one of the werewolves transformed into his human form and stood in front of her, staring hard at Zane. Lily gasped as tears began to fill her eyes. It was her brother. He was not dead. But how?

            “We did not come here with the intention to fight. We came for my sister.” Her brother spoke with a forceful, authoritarian tone in his voice.

            “Your sister has turned into something that both our races have tried to prevent. She is a hybrid, and now, she must be eliminated.” Zane’s deep voice boomed throughout the room.

            Lily looked towards the door of the room and saw Tristan standing in the doorway, staring at her. Something in her warmed up, and she gave him a slight smile. She felt the need to be near him, to wrap herself in his arms and feel his body against hers. His eyes glowed as he stared at her, and she quickly turned her head, now confused at the feelings running through her body.

            “We know what she is, and we will take care of her. She will be watched and monitored and no harm will come to either race by her hand.” Jeremy insisted.

            “Out!” Zane’s voice echoed through the room as each vampire disappeared.

            Jeremy looked at all the werewolves and nodded his head. They each jumped out the window, leaving Jeremy, Zane and Lily in the room. Jeremy flexed his muscles as he sensed the oncoming attack.

            Zane pounced on him, pinning him against the wall. Jeremy howled angrily and threw him across the room, instantly transforming into his werewolf form once again. Lily stood numb as she watched the battle. Zane threw her brother against the wall on the opposite end of the room, making his back slam into the swords that stuck out through the wall. She gasped and howled as loud as she could as she watched my brother’s limp blood �" dripping body fall to the ground.

            Zane turned to her and ran towards her. Another growl erupted from the left of Lily as Tristan ran to Zane, knocking him to the ground. She watched at both brothers fought for their lives. Tristan had him pinned down and stared into his brother’s eyes with sadness in his own eyes.

            “Forgive me.” Tristan snapped Zane’s neck and ripped it off his body.

            He stood up and looked down at the damage he caused. Lily could feel the sadness and guilt he felt from killing his own brother

            “Take your brother out of here. He’s not dead yet. You can save him.” Tristan said, without looking at her.

            She numbly obeyed his orders, picked her brother up and jumped out the window. The pack was waiting for her in the woods, and she handed her brother’s body to them.

            “We’ll take him to my father. He’ll save him.” Kevin, Jeremy’s best friend smiled at her warmly.

            Lily nodded her head as Kevin ran off with Jeremy in his arms, the pack following him. Tristan appeared next to her and wrapped his arms around her.

            She did not know why, but she instantly felt relieved and clung to him like a parasite. He began stroking her hair as he hummed to her, trying to stop her racing heart.

            “What now?” Lily pulled away and looked up at him.

            “I’m no longer part of the clan. I’m alone. But they will keep hunting you. I will keep you safe. I will protect you with my life. I promise.” Tristan pressed his lips against hers, showing how much he was now devoted to her.

            “Where do we go?” Lily asked as he pulled his lips away.

            “Far away. Far . . . far . . . far away. So that you can’t hurt your brother or anyone else. I’ll take care of you. I promise.” Tristan lifted her into his arms, cradled her against his chest and shot off into the misty woods.

© 2010 Samantha Young


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

353 Views
Added on May 15, 2010
Last Updated on May 15, 2010

Author

Samantha Young
Samantha Young

Alexandria, VA



About
I'm a graduate from Marymount University, Arlington, VA. I have a BA in English Literature. I love to write fantasy fiction and romances. My main goal in life is to write as many single books and book.. more..

Writing