Is Something Wrong, Sweetie?

Is Something Wrong, Sweetie?

A Story by Sandr
"

A tale of getting lost.

"

I’ve been driving for a good three hours now. My legs have begun to feel swollen with blood and my eyes sting from the constant strain of watching the road, lit only with my headlights.

                “We’re lost,” my wife says for the fourth time from the passenger seat.

                “We aren’t lost,” I deny. “I’m pretty sure I just need to turn left this time.”

                I hear a sigh, which I can imagine is followed by a roll of the eyes. “Just stop for directions. At this rate we’ll miss the wedding.”

                “Fine!” I say with aggravation even though I know she is right. At this rate we’d be getting there tomorrow evening. “But there isn’t even anyone out that I can ask for directions from,” I say stating the obvious.

                “Well going in circles won’t help,” she snipes, annoyed.

                “Then, what would you have me do!” I yell a little too loudly, earning a ‘shush’ from my wife.

                “You’re going to wake the kids,” she says looking at the two children asleep in the backseat.

                “What do you want me to do?” I ask, this time wearily. I already feel worn from the driving and the argument is taking too much energy.

                “Pull over here,” she says suddenly.

                I look out the window and see what she sees, a woman with long auburn hair that comes to her shoulders, wearing a bright yellow spring dress.

                I pull over and roll down the window.

“Is something wrong, sweetie?” the woman asks.

“Yeah, would you know how to get to the highway from here?”

                The woman smiles, a fake smile that shows off unnaturally white teeth. “Sure thing, sweetie. Just go straight up ahead and take a left. Once you go down that road about two miles there’s a big gate, turn into there-"

                “I think you’re confused, I said I needed to get to the highway.”

                “I know,” she says with a big smile. “This part of town is weird, you have to go through that street and then you’ll get to the main road and from there it’s a straight shot to the highway.”

                I‘m not sure about the directions, but since they were all I had, I thank the woman and pull back out onto the road.

                “Are you sure we should follow those directions?” my wife asks as I turn the first left.

                I turn to her with annoyance. “You’re the one that said we should ask for directions. So, yes, I’m going to follow them.”

                She gave me a reproachful look, but then fell silent.

                When I reach the gate that the woman described I turn and pull through it. Upon entering I see that I am in what looks like a very well to do neighborhood. Each house is large and from what I can see each has a pool.

                “That’s odd,” my wife said quietly. “They all look the same.”

                I notice that she is right, each house is completely identical. Even the paint is the same. Each a yellow that looks almost as if it is glowing in the dark.

                After driving for about twenty minutes I sigh. “This is ridiculous; it looks like we haven’t made any progress,” I say glancing at the identical houses that still surround us. “I’m turning around,” I say, making a three point turn and going back in the opposite direction.

                About half an hour later and I’m starting to feel panicky. By now I should have reached the gate, but all I see are the wretched yellow houses lining the streets.

                “This is weird,” my wife whispers.

                “We should have already reached the gate,” I agree.

                She looks nervously at the clock. “It’s already midnight,” she says.

                “Maybe I took a wrong turn,” I say grudgingly. “All these houses look the same; I can’t even tell where I am.”

                “I think we’re going to have to stop and ask someone,” she says. “How horrible though, it’s so late. I hate to think that we have to wake someone.”

                I sigh and pull into a random driveway, more than willing to leave this neighborhood. I turn the key and get out of the car. When I reach the front door to the house I push the doorbell and hear a musical sounding chime from inside. The door then opens.

                It surprises me that they got to the door so fast considering the late hour. Then I gape. Before me stands a woman with auburn hair down to her shoulders, wearing a bright yellow spring dress. She smiles showing unnaturally white teeth.

                “Is something wrong, sweetie?”

                “You live here?” I question with surprise.

                “Of course I do,” she says with a shallow laugh.

                I swallow down my shock. “Well, I was just wondering what direction the gate is in.”

                “That’s simple,” she says with a smile, “just go right down that way,” she says motioning with a delicate hand.

                “Thank you,” I say hastily. I then go back to the car.

                “Wasn’t that the woman from before?” my wife asks curiously.

                I shrug, ignoring the uneasy feeling in my gut. I turn down the road and drive, eyes focused on the road ahead.

                I drive another ten minutes to no avail. This time I pull over to the side of the road and get out of the car slamming the door in frustration. I quickly go up to this house’s door, ringing the doorbell quickly.

                “Is something wrong, sweetie?” a woman with auburn hair wearing a bright yellow dress asks.

                My eyes widen and that nervous feeling in my stomach doubles. “Uh, I need to get to the gate,” I say. “I must have somehow gone in a circle.”

                She smiles and motions with her hand. “Just go that way.”

                I nod my mouth dry. I can’t remember ever turning, so how have I ended up at the same house. Trying to stop the uneasy feeling I decide to ask for directions at the next house over. I motion to my wife that I’ll be right back and then walk down the sidewalk to the next house. I ring the doorbell and then the door opens revealing a woman with auburn hair wearing a yellow dress.

                She smiles that unsettling smile. “Is something wrong, sweetie?”

                My heart pounds, my head hurting. I don’t answer, just run, back to my car. I swing the door open, jumping into the driver side. “We need to get out of here,” I say to my wife quickly. I look over and notice with panic that she is no longer beside me. I look in the backseat and it also lays empty.

                My heartbeat quickens my eyes wide with fear. I look frantically around outside, but my family is nowhere to be seen. In a sudden panic I slam on the gas, sending the car barreling down the street. I feel like crying as my surroundings stay the same. How long have I been stuck in this neighborhood? I look at the clock and freeze. It reads midnight.

                My heart seems to be going a mile a minute and I feel dizzy, my foot weakening and the car slowing. Finally it rolls to a stop and everything is eerily calm. I reach up with a delicate hand and angle the mirror so that I can see my face. Long auburn hair comes down to my shoulders and I’m wearing a bright yellow spring dress. I open my mouth to scream, but all that comes out is a feminine voice, “Is something wrong, sweetie?”

© 2013 Sandr


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Love the twist on lost-couple-preyed-on-from-outside; the ultimate threat comes from within. Also think the length is ideal -- leaves unanswered questions, much spookier than filling it all in. Actually, I was thinking Twilight Zone.

Stories like this benefit from being as tight as possible; if you're still working on it, sift through and see what words you don't need. Trust the reader to know that if you're driving, the wife is in the passenger seat, for example. The less to distract from the main images, the better. It's a story worth strengthening.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sandr

10 Years Ago

Thank you! I love the constructive advice, I'll be sure to edit it with your comment in mind. :)



Reviews

Woooooooooo That was scary! And the twist was spooky great! I really liked how you explained the characters thoughts and feelings while all this was going on, and building up the tension to the climax. Thanks for sharing!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sandr

7 Years Ago

Thank you! I'm glad you liked it!
Every see a signal light at a cross roads flash, do we go, do we stop, turn, left, right, backwards. This was a lot like spin the wheel of emotion. And I loved it.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Love the twist on lost-couple-preyed-on-from-outside; the ultimate threat comes from within. Also think the length is ideal -- leaves unanswered questions, much spookier than filling it all in. Actually, I was thinking Twilight Zone.

Stories like this benefit from being as tight as possible; if you're still working on it, sift through and see what words you don't need. Trust the reader to know that if you're driving, the wife is in the passenger seat, for example. The less to distract from the main images, the better. It's a story worth strengthening.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sandr

10 Years Ago

Thank you! I love the constructive advice, I'll be sure to edit it with your comment in mind. :)
Wonderfully chilly! I was delighted. There are a couple of words missing but otherwise this reminds me of some of my favorite R.L. Stines.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

278 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 19, 2013
Last Updated on July 13, 2013
Tags: suspense

Author

Sandr
Sandr

Writing
Death Death

A Poem by Sandr


Till Death Till Death

A Story by Sandr



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..