A Small Life

A Small Life

A Story by Sandr
"

An important question. Does one life really matter that much?

"

I could smell the food. It made my stomach lurch in anticipation. Only I knew that even if I did get it, I would not be able to eat it. No, I would bring it back to my family. As I ran the smell got stronger. I could almost taste it in my mouth.

            Finally I spotted the food right in front of me. I grabbed as much as I physically could and turned around. Now was the hard part. I had to make it back to my home without dying. I looked around my limited field of vision, but saw no one. I felt safer were I was standing now, but I knew I would have to venture out into the open in order to bring back the food.

            It was a quick decision. One second I was standing there, the next I was running full out. Still I saw no one and was relieved. Then with horror I saw a dark shadow descend on me. Whatever it was, it was huge. I tried swerving in order to miss it. The large thing slammed down right next to me.

            I was scared but I never stopped running. This time the monstrous creature was quicker. First I felt nothing, then pain, Indescribable pain. The creature had moved, but not before crushing half my body. I twisted in pain, my legs jerking in spasms. Then the shadowed reappeared over me.

            I tried to move, but it was useless. I was only half alive. The giant shape descended with painful slowness. I didn’t stop twitching, trying to get away. I had to bring the food back. I was entrusted to do so. Then there was sharp pain and then nothing.

 

            The woman looked down in disgust at the small squished ant on the floor. She scraped off her shoe making sure there were no stray legs on it. She absolutely hated ants, they were gross. She didn’t even bother to clean up. She walked away muttering something about pests, leaving the small dead ant lying on the cold kitchen floor. A small barely perceivable crumb of food lying abandoned next to it.

© 2012 Sandr


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

First off I want to thank you for reviewing some of my work. You have really motivated me to continue writing as I was unsure whether or not to continue. Secondly I want to congratulate you on your fine work with this short story. It really captured my attention and the reveal at the end had me kicking myself for not figuring it out. Really excellent writing, keep up the good work!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

First off I want to thank you for reviewing some of my work. You have really motivated me to continue writing as I was unsure whether or not to continue. Secondly I want to congratulate you on your fine work with this short story. It really captured my attention and the reveal at the end had me kicking myself for not figuring it out. Really excellent writing, keep up the good work!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

THis is so great? The suspense, the fright--and then the discovery. Good writing!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

210 Views
2 Reviews
Added on March 17, 2012
Last Updated on March 17, 2012

Author

Sandr
Sandr

Writing
Death Death

A Poem by Sandr


Till Death Till Death

A Story by Sandr