Magic of the Flying Burrito

Magic of the Flying Burrito

A Story by Jon McDonald
"

Surprise Christmas visitors enliven a party

"

 

The Magic of the Flying Burrito

by

Jon McDonald

 

Sonora and Connye were major rivals in the Santa Fe social scene.  They lived in an exclusive development just across the golf course from each other.  Neither could allow the other to shine brighter than themselves.  Being middle-aged widows, with a certain sophistication and style, each with considerable fortunes; they were able to wage a war of one-upsmanship that few others in the social scene could muster.  They each had a single minded determination and focus, unencumbered by the distractions of either husbands or children.  It was now the holiday season and each wanted to do something special that would out do the other and set their event apart.

Connye had been wondering how she could make a splash this holiday season but had been unable to come up with anything unique so far.  She knew Sonora would be having her usual Christmas Day open house, traditional and undoubtedly lavish and glimmering �" always with the finest buffet and stunning decorations - but ultimately conventional.  Connye wanted something that would astound.

Connye took great delight in reading the newspaper each morning, scanning the articles for what she called her “human interest” stories.  She would lounge in her robe, sipping coffee in her garden room, looking for stories about individuals, families, or even organizations in dire need.  She very much liked to help where she could.  Perhaps someone had had a terrible accident and had no insurance; or a family would be stranded on a cross country trip when their car broke down; or a youth center was going to be evicted because they lost their lease.  Connye loved coming to the rescue.  It was part of her quite loving nature to want to help these people, and she always did it anonymously.  That too was much to her credit.  She was the chairwoman of a personal foundation.  It was really organized just for her private giving.  It issued modest amounts of money very quickly at her direction to these people and groups, and no one ever knew where it came from.  It really gave her a great deal of pleasure.

This morning she came across an article about a local church.  It seems they have a long tradition of holding an outdoor Christmas pageant each holiday season.  It is well attended and involves the telling of the Christmas story with live actors and animals.  It is usually held at their church, but they had just experienced a terrible fire, which destroyed a large portion of the building and the sets that are used in the pageant. 

Connye put down the paper, a twinkle in her eye. 

*      *      *

            It was Christmas Eve and Sonora was overseeing the completion of the decorations for her open house the next day.  There were three Christmas trees, a forest of poinsettias, a galaxy of fairy lights, and trains of garlands.  She was pleased to see the work was almost completed, and checked once again with her housekeeper to see that all the food was prepared and ready.   She was now free to enjoy Christmas Eve without any further concern.  She would be taking her mother, visiting from New York, and her best friend Lionel, who lived next door and was a seventy year old retired movie costume designer.

The “boys,” Lincoln and Carlos �" a couple - were having their annual open house during the Farolito Walk - the grand Santa Fe Christmas tradition on Christmas Eve.  The historic district was closed to traffic.  The adobe walls, entrance ways, roof tops and even sidewalks were lined with farolitos �" small paper bags filled with sand for ballast and a single lighted votive candle.  It created a magical scene, unique to the southwest.  Along the streets, bon fires blazed �" called luminarias.  People strolled, gathered, and sang Christmas carols.  Homes were open for parties.   And as there was snow today, it was an added treat to see the walls with small drifts of snow nestled up against the warm glow of the flickering paper bags. 

            Sonora, Shirley  and Lionel had parked near the boy’s B&B, where the party was to be held, and were going to do the walk before going to the open house to warm up and fill up with Christmas cheer.    

As they walked, Shirley snuggled up against Sonora for warmth and stability.  This was Shirley’s first Christmas walk.  Her eyes were alight with the magic of the evening.  Sonora and Lionel guided Shirley to the most festive areas.  They sang carols, and watched delighted children as a toy train circled in a small compound, with hundreds of flickering lights lining the branches of the surrounding trees. 

            Sonora had a special treat for them.  They walked over to the local elementary school playground where the flying farolitos were to be launched.  A flying farolito was constructed of very light-weight, tissue paper.  It was in the shape of a large triangle, with tea candles suspended below.  When the candles were lit the heated air from the candles filled the paper triangle and it floated up into the air, lifting like a pale ghost into the black sky.  Almost everyone was silent when the first farolito breathed up with a whisper.  They watched several rise, then Shirley nuzzled Sonora and told her she was getting cold.  And as they had now seen the most interesting sights, they hiked over to the B&B for the party.

            Lincoln and Carlos’ private quarters were quite spacious and several fireplaces were ablaze with snapping piñon and cedar fires.  The aroma of spiced cider filled the air.  A Christmas tree was alight and covered in poinsettias. A long table was filled with a delicious assortment of smoked salmon, spiced ham, cheese, dried fruit; bowls of posole, tamales, chili; and breads, cakes and cookies.  

            The guests stomped their feet to get off the snow.  Mittens were removed, hats and coats shed.  Shirley gravitated to a small chair by one of the fireplaces after getting a plate of delicious treats.  Lionel spotted Champagne, and eagerly accepted a bubbling glass.  Sonora worked the room, chatting with a number of people she saw only during the holidays.  Sonora spied her friendly social rival, Connye, with a plate of food on her lap, and sidled over for an intimate visit. 

            “Connye, precious one, a very Merry Christmas.”

            “And to you, my darling Sonora.  All ready for your grand Christmas party tomorrow?”

            “Mostly.  A few odds and ends left, you know.”

            “Is your charming mama enjoying her visit?” Connye smiled so sweetly.

“She is.”

“You both must come by for tea one afternoon.”

“That would be lovely, but I thought you might be doing some traveling over the holiday.”

“Really, why’s that?” Connye asked, innocent as a Christmas mouse.

“Well, you’ve declined to come to my festive party, and since absolutely no one has received an invitation from you for anything, we thought you might be flying off to Rio or some such exotic locale.”

“Well no, not quite.  I did decide against giving a party this year, that’s true.  But I’ve been arranging another little treat.”

“Oh do tell us what.” Sonora gleamed.

Connye smiled sweetly, and nodded.  “Can’t say just yet.  Such a surprise, you know.”  She nibbled at a small toast.

Sonora was greatly suspicious of that.  What kind of surprise?  She corralled Lionel and began a line of speculation.  “Connye absolutely has no holiday events planned that anyone has heard about.  She usually hosts a New Years Eve party but there have been no invitations to anyone.  Have you heard anything from your grapevine?”

Lionel and Sonora were close confidants; frequently having tea and gossip of an afternoon.

 “Well, my dear, I’m afraid the grapevine is not bearing any fruit on that particular subject.  However, there is some speculation that she might be planning a journey somewhere.”

“Yes, that was my thought, as well, but she quite denies it.”

“Then, I’m afraid I can shed no further light on the matter.” 

Lionel was much more interested in the smoked salmon than Connye’s holiday plans and sidled over to the buffet, leaving Sonora still puzzled and suspicious.  She felt certain that Connye was tying to pull a fast one and decided she needed to keep a careful watch on Connye the next few days.  Perhaps a call to Connye’s caterer would reveal some pertinent information.

 Sonora then went over to Shirley, who said, “Lovely food and the fire feels so nice and warm.”

“Are you getting tired?  Should we go soon?”

“Yes, please.”

“Okay, let me round up Lionel.”
            They bundled up once again, and headed out into the crisp, nippy night.  Walking arm in arm back to the car Shirley looked up at the star-flung sky and pointed to an expiring tissue-paper star.  “Oh look, there’s another flying burrito.  Just like the Christmas star, don’t you think?” 

“Does one make a wish?”  Lionel asked.

“Oh yes.” Shirley enthused.  “I wish for happiness for my baby girl.”  Shirley reached up and patted Sonora on the cheek.  Sonora winced.

“And I’m wishing for my nice warm bed right now.”  Lionel teased.

“Oh, and what about world peace?  Aren’t your forgetting that?” Sonora smiled with an edge of sarcasm.

“World peace?”  Lionel looked at Sonora.  “I think that’s quite improbable.   You would do much better wishing for peace between you and Connye.  That would be remarkable enough, don’t you think?’

“And ever so unlikely.”  Sonora gave a big grin.

*      *      *

It had snowed a little more during the night.  Not enough to impact the roads adversely for her guests, but enough to freshen up the Christmas card scene outside Sonora’s windows.  She stood with a coffee mug in her hands, gazing out from her living room over the blue dawn snowscape.  The house was dark and quiet.  None of the Christmas lights were lit yet.  There was only a faint light filtering in from the kitchen.  She loved these moments of peace before the onslaught of party guests.  She noticed that Connye’s house across the way was already ablaze with lights.  She wondered what Connye could possibly be doing up so early.  However, there was no time for speculation now.  It was time for Sonora to get ready for her party, and she trundled off for a nice reviving shower before dressing. 

*      *      *

Sonora’s open house was well under way.  The weather had cooperated and the guests were coming and going in festive waves.  The decorations sparkled.  A string quartet was punching out carols.  The bar was well stocked and crowded.  The dining table was laid out with a feast of holiday fare.

Lincoln arrived in a Santa hat, followed by Carlos with a red clown nose and antlers.  “Ho, ho, ho.  Me-e-r-r-y-y Christmas.” Lincoln boomed, carrying mistletoe, and holding it over Sonora to give her a big wet kiss; then the two of them marched into the living room, spreading holiday cheer, and tiny striped candy canes from Santa’s pouch.

Lionel has been tending to Shirley, helping her with her plate of food and introducing her to Sonora’s friends.  Sonora came up to him and pulled him aside.

“We miss our darling Connye this morning.” Sonora sighed.  “So sad she can’t join us.  I still can’t believe she would decline my invitation, however.  I can’t imagine what is going on with her.”

“I’m sure she has her reasons.  You really must let go of this.  Just enjoy the party.  All your other friends are having a splendid time.” Lionel soothed.

A very strange look suddenly came over Sonora’s face.  She was staring out the window towards her back yard.  “Good heavens a sheep has gotten loose.” 

 “Is that a donkey?” Someone else asked, pointing out another window.

“Is that a camel?”

 “Is that poultry?

Suddenly a barnyard menagerie coalesced outside Sonora’s house, along with a troop of nomads and kings.  The entire party flocked to the patio.  Sonora’s little Maltese, The Contessa, dashed over to the sheep, and sat down amongst them, looking back, posing.  The white snow, the white sheep, the white Contessa with her red bow �" what a perfect portrait for next year’s Christmas card.  

And there was Connye, shepherding a rabble of animals and actors into a tableau.  And out of the chaos quietly appeared the nativity.  Sonora’s guests were in utter silence.  The string quartet began playing “Silent Night.”  Sonora stepped forward and gave a gentle wave to Connye, who bowed ever so slightly. 

Peace on earth, goodwill towards men �" and women.

© 2010 Jon McDonald


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Great writing! To be honest though, I was expecting something else by the title. But you have a talent!

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

213 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on November 22, 2010
Last Updated on November 22, 2010

Author

Jon McDonald
Jon McDonald

Santa Fe, NM



About
Jon McDonald is a graduate of Cornell University, with a BA in English, and an MFA in drama from the University of California, Irvine. He has previously written six screenplays, and numerous short st.. more..

Writing