A Dream Journey (story)

A Dream Journey (story)

A Story by Sarah Stephen
"

This was part of a writing assignment where we had to include a path, a key, water, a tree, a corner, a stranger, an obstacle, a garden and a wall.

"

The sun was starting to set, the sky was a brilliant rainbow filled with greens, blues, and all shades of purple. The moon was a bright orb floating above the soft colours. Gravel crunched underneath my shoes, moving as if they were being sparked with electricity. The path in front of me seemed to go on forever, though I thought I could make out a bridge up ahead. Strange, I don’t remember crossing a bridge.

 

A breeze picked up as I continued down the unfamiliar path, it flew straight through my jacket, attacking my core. Shivering, I crossed my arms across my chest attempting to block out the chilling wind. I hunched over, protecting my torso, and that’s when I saw it; a deep purple ribbon violently dancing in the horrible air. Holding the ribbon to the ground was a brilliant, golden key. The handle was curved, patterned. It was an old key, yet the elements had no effect on this smooth, glowing key. I picked it up, the ribbon was silky and pleasant to touch. I tied it around my neck, I couldn’t tell you why but something inside me said it was the right thing to do. The key sat perfectly on my chest, cold at first but quickly adapted to my body. I continued down the path, feeling more confident. Nothing bad ever came from picking up a key, right?

 

I finally reached the bridge, soft flowing water trickled past rocks and weeds emerging from the crystal path. The water was a clear reflection of the sky, an amethyst. Specks of silver tinkled faintly from miles away. I glanced above me into the endless possibilities of the universe and was greeted by another gust of wind. Hunching back over and quickening my pace, I crossed the bridge. Its elaborate, golden rails seemed to glow as I passed them. It was so beautiful; I received a warm and fuzzy feeling in my chest. I’d love to come here in the day time. I could spend hours staring at the ornate gold barriers, tracing the little curves entwining with one another.

 

Further up the ashen path was a cluster of trees, thick and lush. As I reached the first tree I simply stared at it in awe. Its solid trunk twisted upwards and its roots weaved through the ground and the surface. It must have been at least a hundred years old. I continued to walk in the breath-taking forest, straying off the path to feel the smooth, convoluted tree trunks. A strange noise sounded above me, my heart skipped a beat and started racing. I stole a look upwards to see a great big pair of yellow eyes glaring down at me. Holding my breath I slowly walked backwards to the path, not wanting to turn my back on the unnatural yellow globes. Safely back on the path I kept vigilant and fully aware of my surroundings. I refused to venture from my pallid track.

 

The twists and turns of the dense forest grew darker as the sun disappeared. As I rounded one particular sharp bend in the path something grabbed my arm. I let out a shriek which was soon muffled by another hand.

 

“Don’t scream, I won’t hurt you.” A husky voice spoke from behind me, male. He cautiously removed his large hand off my mouth and relaxed his grip on my arm. He spun me around to face him. He had scruffy light brown hair and piercing grey eyes. His square jaw was packed with stubble and his nose looked as tough it had recently been broken. He leant his face close to me but his eyes darted in all directions as if he was looking for something behind me. He smelt like grass after a heavy rainstorm.

“Are you being followed?” He spoke sharply, demanding an answer.

“N-n-no, I-I don’t think s-so,” My teeth were chattering and whole body shook from the cold. His eyes fixated on my neck, for one insane moment I thought he was a vampire about to suck my blood. He let go of my arm and threw me towards a tree. I stumbled and tripped over roots, grabbing the tree for support I managed to regain my balance. Crack! The man was at me again, holding a stick he pulled from a lower brunch. He trust the stick towards my face, instinctively I flinched and pulled my eyes shut. I reopened them to find he had used the stick to lift the purple ribbon up, revelling the shiny golden key. He face grew ugly and he let out a snarl. He grabbed the key from my neck and threw it to the ground, as if it pained him to touch it.

“Where. Did. You. Get. That?” He spoke through clenched teeth.

“I-I-I found it,” He had me pinned against the tree, my shoulders hurt under his weight.

“Where?” He growled.

“O-on the f-floor, b-b-before the brid-dge.”

“Do you have any idea what this key is? What it can open? Do you even know where you are?”

“I-I’m j-j-just trying to g-get home.”

“So you thought you’d just drop by and steel Vitam?”

“P-please, I-I don’t know w-what you’re t-t-talking about. I j-just want to g-go home.” I pleaded.

He shook his head and clicked his tongue, “it’s too late for that now " you must come with me.” He grabbed me by the elbow, dragging me along the bleak road.

 

The forest was almost pitch black, small slivers of moonlight fell through the trees, illuminating the path ahead. My arm had long since fallen numb. The man stopped abruptly, holding his head higher, like a meerkat on lookout. He stayed like this until I spoke up.

“What now? D-do you sense another poor girl w-who got lost?”

“Do you see the cave over there?” His voice was barely a whisper as he pointed over to a cave about 10 miles from here.

“Y-yeah, s-so?” I had given up pleasantries altogether.

“There is a dragon in there.”

“Y-you’ve got t-to be kidding me! Let me g-go! I’ll j-just go home, I won’t mention Vetiam to anyone.”

“Vitam.” He corrected me, “you can stand its touch, you must come with me.”

“Yes, you’ve said that already Tarzan.” He turned his head on an angle, trying to understand the reference.

“Where are you taking me?!”

“Safe place.” He grew bored with me quickly and motioned me forward once again. I reluctantly followed; his hand was still clutching my arm.

 

My eyes felt droopy, my legs were numb and all my joints ached. We’d been walking for hours, and hours through this dark forest. The sun had long since set, yet the mysterious man never loosened his grip. Part of me longed for that dragon to wake up and eat my captor. We slowed down our pace. He was on high alert again. Maybe my wish would come true.

“We’re almost there.” He spoke carefully.

“Almost where?” he didn’t answer me but up ahead I noticed the trees spreading thin. A huge brick wall was taking form.

 

As we reached the blue stone I glimpsed inside through a beautiful archway. It was decorated with thin golden wires which resembled the railings on the bridge. Suddenly I was jerked backwards.

“Here, put this back on.” He thrust the golden key towards me. I was oddly reminded of my older brother back in our childhood when we would play ‘hot potato.’ I slipped the precious key back around my neck. Tarzan was staring, his head cocked to one side. His eyes rested back on my neck, maybe my vampire theory wasn’t completely absurd.

“What now?” Agitation was seeping into my voice.

“We walk through the point of no return.” I snickered.

“First a magical key with a name, then a dragon and now ‘the point of no return.’” I tried my best to imitate his deep voice and cracked up laughing. “What next? My mother is a fairy?” I laughed, “I was kidnapped at birth and taken to the mortal realm, where I grew up thinking I was a human, only to find out 16 years later that I’m really a magical being, who can save your world from some unknown evil?” I could barely breathe on account I was laughing so hard.

“Quite possible, it has happened on occasion. Although, I doubt it is the case here. Members of the Fay tend to develop blue skin at the age of 13.” He spoke like my history teacher; even and controlled with a hint of know-it-all.

“You can’t be serious.” He just rolled his eyes and nudged me towards the archway. As I walked through the ornate pattern casing the archway a warm feeling spread through my chest. I let out a faint gasp. It was the very same feeling I felt while crossing over the bridge. I looked up at the golden wires which decorated the arch, and sure enough; there we glowing faintly. I stopped in my tracks and pulled the deep purple ribbon out from under my top; it too, was glowing. I stared open mouthed at the man, he didn’t seem to notice. He kept walking through the archway, I silently followed.

Inside the tunnel was damp and smelt of jasmine. The golden veins continued to line the roof and walls of this enclosed space. I blindly stumbled through the darkness, refusing to look up at the walls or ceiling for guidance.  As we approached the end of the tunnel the smell of jasmine grew stronger, we were entering a garden. Thick, lush trees sat in circles of flowers, violets, daisies, monte casisno and many others all of which were purple. Deep irises were bunched in corners and purple jasmine scaled the walls. It was absolutely beautiful.

 

 

Just through two particularly thick trees sat a little cobble stone house surrounded with irises. The chimney was located on the left side of the house and the oblong windows were framed with gold. The front door had the same golden pattern as the bridge, arch and tunnel.

“You’re gonna make me go in there, aren’t you?”

“It is not my house, nor am I welcome. You must wait for an invitation.” He spoke briskly; I sensed a deep hatred for this house.

The door creaked open, ajar.

“That is your invitation. Go before it is revoked.” Revoked? Who by? I swallowed down a lump in my throat and edged towards the door, pausing to look back behind me at the man who brought me here. He was starring off in the distance, beyond the house, beyond the wall. I was suddenly aware of how alone I was. I took one last breath and ventured into the cottage.

 

Inside was dense and heavy; I felt the dunk air settle on my lungs with every breath.

“Come forth child,” spoke a gravelly voice from a far corner of the room. I wished Tarzan was here, I knew I was safe with him. I took one last look behind me, the door had closed. I took a tentative step forward, dusty floorboards creaked beneath me.

“That’s right dear, just a few more steps.” I moved forward to the voice, an old lady I assumed. A match was struck and the room developed a warm glow, which faintly outlined a woman. She seemed frail; slightly hunched over sitting on her rocking chair. The floorboards creaked under my feet as I walked over to the little old lady.

She held out her hand, “Vitam,” her tone was soft and awful, “how nice to see you again.” A soft buzzing vibrated my chest; Vitam was responding.

“May I have him back?” Her eyes never left my neck.
“And then I can go home?” I asked.

“In a sense, Vitam please.” Her voice grew stronger each time she mentioned Vitam.

“What kind of sense?” I demanded.

“You shall go back to the beginning. You have reached the end of your cycle and now must return home. If you please, I’d like Vitam back now.”

“You’re going t-to kill me?”

“Of course not dear child, once you leave this garden you will disintegrate and return to the beginning.”

“No,” I whispered. The point of no return bounced through my mind. Tarzan is dead. I will die. But the old lady is very much alive. “How is it that you are still alive?”

“Stupid girl, always going where she shouldn’t.” I backed away from the lady, running into the opposite wall. A metal bulb hit the small of my back, no, not a bulb, a knob, a door knob! I pushed at the door with all that I had and burst into light. I slammed the door shut and threw my weight against it. Taking a moment to catch my breath I saw there was a path in front of me. It stretched all the way to the left and all the way to the right. Lining the ashen path was a huge cobble stone wall, not dissimilar from the cottage behind me. I took the left path and took off at a run.

 

The sun was starting to rise, the sky was a brilliant rainbow filled with greens, blues, and all shades of purple. The sun was a bright orb floating above the soft colours. Gravel crunched underneath my shoes, moving as if they were being sparked with electricity. The path in front of me seemed to go on forever, so did this wall.

 

Fatigue set in and I collapsed against the side of the wall. My vision blurred all the colours together. A shadow appeared before me, tall and thin. I tried to back away but my body failed me. The shadow drew the deep purple ribbon from my neck, taking the key with it. The shadow disappeared, leaving me against the rough wall. As the sun continued to rise the rainbows grew lighter; a wonderful view before I returned home.

© 2012 Sarah Stephen


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

You took me on a wild journey in this story. You added many interesting characters. I like the wild storyline. The story felt like a dream. Moving at a pace where each situation was important. I did like the ending to the excellent tale.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

385 Views
1 Review
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 29, 2012
Last Updated on April 27, 2012
Tags: dream, journey, short story

Author

Sarah Stephen
Sarah Stephen

Australia



About
Hi, I'm a young writer currently in high school studying literature, film and media. more..

Writing