Tabitha

Tabitha

A Story by Sarah Stephen

One day Tabitha awoke feeling very hungry. She stretched out her back and pranced off the end of the glamorous four poster bed on which she frequently napped. Feeling the plush carpet under her feet she skipped along the sun-lit hallway which lead to the place that her family sat down to eat. The small timber table cast long spider like shadows over the walls and hard wood floor.  The polished wood was as slippery as ever.

 Treading lightly and carefully Tabitha crept to the floral patterned couches. Sliding her soft body against the edges of the furniture she looked around hopelessly for her family. Feelings of annoyance and loneliness washed over her. Where could they possibly be? Tabitha did not know the answer to this question. She was alone, trapped inside and absolutely starving. She supposed she could eat a whole cow.

A small click sounded from another room. They’re home! Tabitha ran to the front door, slipping as she rounded a corner. The screen door had been opened. The front door was now rattling, the small golden knob half-way up the door was moving. Tabitha could hardly control her anticipation and stood at the base of the door, waiting for her family to walk in.

The door finally flew open, hitting Tabitha in the stomach. She ran out of the way before she was pushed into a wall. Excited sounds filled Tabitha’s ears.

“Hey Tabby. Didn’t miss us too much did you?” Her sister spoke directly to her.

“She probably slept all day, the lazy thing.” The brother said.

Her older siblings moved throughout the house placing various objects in cupboards and in the big white cool cupboard. Before the two housemates left the room Tabitha knew that she must ask them for food before they get too comfortable on her favourite armchair. Tabitha took in a deep breath and let the older two know exactly what she wanted, “Meow!”

© 2012 Sarah Stephen


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Eve
That is very imaginative. I like that Tabitha is not a person. I like the imagery. It is very vivid.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

229 Views
1 Review
Added on March 3, 2012
Last Updated on April 27, 2012
Tags: short story, children's, cat

Author

Sarah Stephen
Sarah Stephen

Australia



About
Hi, I'm a young writer currently in high school studying literature, film and media. more..

Writing