Podalirius

Podalirius

A Story by Sarah Stephen

Once, in a land of rolling green hills, blossoming with tiny flowers and numerous insects Zeus spotted a beautiful, young maiden frolicking with the birds. Zeus, being the great admirer of beauty, instantly fell in love with her. Zeus disguised himself as a swallow and flew down to earth.

 

After two weeks of tickling and teasing, Zeus presented himself as a handsome young man. Podalirius was so over-whelmed by his beauty that she instantly lifted her white skirt around her arms and lay down on the soft foliage, like a gorgeous angel with bare legs. Before Zeus could take the young maiden, Hera appeared.

 

Zeus’ wife shook with jealousy, screaming at Zeus for his infidelities. Then Hera suddenly turned on the fearful maiden and spoke with a menacing calmness, “For weeks you have brought shame and disgrace upon your self for cavorting absent-mindedly through these fields, so I condemn you to relive the past two weeks!” Hera quickly picked the closest flower and sprinkled Podalirius with the pollen. The beautiful maiden started shrinking and within seconds, she had been transformed into a butterfly! The shape of her wings reflected her crime; an upturned skirt and bare legs.


The Iphiclides Podalirius or Scarce Swallowtail butterfly have a life-span of two weeks and can be seen frolicking all over Greece, serving as a reminder to Zeus that not all beauties can be captured

© 2012 Sarah Stephen


Author's Note

Sarah Stephen
This is a writing task for my literature class where we had to write our own Greek fable in 300 words. What letter grade would you give it?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Zeus is like dude why are you a butterfly. I liked it but why a butterfly. Of all the creatures, right. The duality of creatures I suppose, cuz you know butterflies were caterpillars first. Wow, that was awesome.

Posted 4 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
i'm wondering if, in writing class, they ever give you australian topics?

Posted 11 Years Ago


Sarah Stephen

11 Years Ago

No they don't. I've actually never thought of that...
Excellent. You're very clever, and quite a good writer, too. My only suggestion is that in the first paragraph, you might consider reducing the number of times you say "Zeus".

Posted 11 Years Ago


This is fantastic!!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Fantastic. A few spelling mistakes here and there but an overall good read. The second paragraph was written well. It flowed and I was drawn into the affair between Zeus and Podalirius. I would give this an B+ (With spelling editing)

Well done!

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

443 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on May 11, 2012
Last Updated on May 11, 2012
Tags: short story, greek mythology, fiction, Zeus

Author

Sarah Stephen
Sarah Stephen

Australia



About
Hi, I'm a young writer currently in high school studying literature, film and media. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


SIGHT SIGHT

A Story by Marie


~ Rainbow ~ ~ Rainbow ~

A Poem by Carola