Irene

Irene

A Poem by Sarah Lynn

She's swarming up the coast. Graceful and elegant. Slow and steady.

I'm shaking in those boots I never got around to ordering off of Amazon. My toes, the flesh tightly covering my ankle. It's all trembling up to my knee caps.

I twist what's left of my finger nail, looking down. Wanting to bite it, but knowing I shouldn't. Couldn't. It's already on the edge of spewing red bile. Or whatever it is that s**t's called that flows through our hearts. Keeps us alive just a moment longer.

My breath shortens. Have I lost hearing on the right side of my face? I definitely have.

The pressure changes.

I'm stalking you. Just like I used to. Pressing my finger to the screen, ever so softly caressing your face and whispering to the pixels, "I'm here. I'm always here."

But I think you're in her eye now. Waves vanished into stone cold tile. A liquid glass surface. You're dancing along the coast, somewhere between here and hell.

I wonder now, with my chair kicked back to the wall. Did she kiss your lips at one hundred miles per hour? Did she trickle in sideways right to your brain? Flooding your thoughts?

Your picture haunts my desktop as I swiftly click the X in the corner. In a split second you flash into nonexistence.

Where's the man I loved? Where's the hand I held? Where's the child that cried on my shoulder all through the frozen storm?

Has he evaporated into the sirius clouds of Irene? Has he forever left me?

I stare tiredly at my banksy coffee mug, half full of fat-free vanilla creamer and that store brand s**t they try to pass off as real caffeine. There's two policemen kissing, a quarter inch from the handle. And how lovely, how lovely that they're together forever.

Unlike us.

© 2011 Sarah Lynn


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

wow sarah what an interesting read , was captivated from start to finish x

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

342 Views
1 Review
Added on August 27, 2011
Last Updated on August 27, 2011

Author

Sarah Lynn
Sarah Lynn

NJ



About
I'm twenty years young. I've been through more than I'd like to admit to. Almost all of my poetry is based on true events, real people. I have a horrible imagination. I take things at face value. I fi.. more..

Writing