Meeting Dave

Meeting Dave

A Chapter by SarahK

By the time they pulled up to the unassuming apartment complex in the slightly rougher end of Phili, Elizabeth was seriously regretting her choice of summer activities. Who in their right mind would choose a minivan of squabbling teens and empty chip packets over the picturesque shores of Lake Windemere, on which she spent many a holiday providing the kids of Wayfairer Ranch Christian Camp with six weeks of badminton, basket-weaving and bible study?

But they were here now. Blair had leapt up from her seat the minute she turned the engine off and was now trying in vain to wrench open the van door.

“What the hell? I know I’ve never touched gym equipment in my life, but I’m sure I’m not this weak.”

Elizabeth watched HoneyDew silently lean over and press the lock off the minivan door, and with a click, Blair was not-so-smoothy free and bounding towards the entrance.

“We could just leave her here and go home. She ate all the M&M's out of my trail mix and I just don't know if I can be stuck in such a small space with someone that evil.” Elizabeth smiled at Max

He chuckled, but he shook his head and gestured to Honeydew who slumped herself against the window again. She seemed even younger the rest of them, her body language remaining guarded as she curled into herself.

For all that her presence put Lizzie on edge, it was still sort of a relief for her to be with them. What if someone else had picked up this kid? Someone with far worse intentions than an endless road trip to a still-undecided location?

Max snapped her out of this somewhat depressing train of thought by not so gently elbowing her in the ribs and she whirled back around to see Blair skipping back towards the vehicle, a hoodie-wearing, backpack-carrying figure in tow.

The new arrival was pulled up into the van.

“Sup” He growled

(Sup?)

There was another round of less-fun musical chairs that left Elizabeth driving and Max, Blair and the new compatriot in the back seat. He introduced himself as Dave and Elizabeth felt like she could prick her finger on all the edge her was putting out.

“So how do you guys actually know each other?” Liz asked before starting the van

“Well Blair was totally sucking a*s in this boss in Runescape so I-”

“Sorry, Blair was what now?”

“Sucking a*s in-”

“No yeah got it but Blair what?”

“Dave!” Blair interrupted, waving her hands through the air as to dispose of the soundwaves “I have a very cool reputation with these people and you can't be blabbering to my upcoming indie band members about what perhaps maybe not-indie things I do in my spare time. Let’s just say we met while performing strange rituals in the forests of Wisconsin.”

“Okay, but you were definitely sucking a*s-”

“We GET IT Dave thank you!”

Max and Elizabeth could hardly stifle the laughing, Elizabeth knew she had so much blackmail on her best friend right now.

“Now Blair, is there any other strays to pick up along the way or are we set?” Liz managed after the giggling had ceased.

“No more, unless we want to pick up my deaf and homophobic grandmother in the next state over?”

Everyone shook their head furiously. “We are set then. Up and at ‘em!”

Dave gave a triumphant ‘whoop’ and even HoneyDew turned to smile at Elizabeth, the happiness rubbed slightly off on her and she couldn’t help but feel excited.

“Alright- wait… where the heck are we going?”

Silence.

More silence except for Blair googling “Top Road Trip Destinations” into Elizabeth's phone.

“Route… no can’t do that, Dinosaur Diamond Scenic Highway? No... I have no idea,” Blair mumbled.

“I have always wanted to see the Grand Canyon” HoneyDew piped up.

Everyone looked at each other to see if anyone would object.

“Grand Canyon it is!” Shouted Blair as the minivan engine ‘roared’ out of the dreary carpark.



© 2018 SarahK


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

121 Views
Added on June 15, 2018
Last Updated on June 26, 2018
Tags: teenage, roadtrip, teen, adventure


Author

SarahK
SarahK

About
I have come across a lot of spare time recently and thus I have now a lot of time to focus on something that intrigued me when I was 13: Creative writing. I hope you enjoy. more..

Writing
Decisive Decisive

A Story by SarahK


Day Minus Three Day Minus Three

A Chapter by SarahK


Day Minus Two Day Minus Two

A Chapter by SarahK