Protecting Adam

Protecting Adam

A Chapter by Passionwriter
"

Livy Geoffery is sixteen and life is normal. When her brother shows up trouble looms close behind him.

"

Morning Dew dappled the blades of grass like trinkets of a thousand crystals. Although the air was still blistering cold the sun in the east was warm against my skin. The air smelt fresh despite the slight lingering stench of pungent animal droppings, which I’d forgotten over the years so it no longer disgusted me since when I’d first arrived.

Beyond that though farm life became somewhat emollient, no longer living in the city  cars, horns, people bellowing, loud callous music, and sirens seemed like a distant dream. The air in the city was vile, filled with thick inexorable gases. I could not conjure a reason regarding my parent’s decision to want to stay in the city.

 

I have a brother, his name’s Adam Geoffrey, aged twenty-one now. When my parents died though, he decided that the city nor farm held any guarantee for him and so being his rebellious self, drove off into the distance of July sixteenth 2003 . Knowing Adam he would not enjoy the tranquillity of the world he’d much rather stick to the road, driving on and on if he could. Without doubt that’s what he did and since then I’ve received postcards on his recent locations. Last week I’d got one from Paris. His letters seemed sincere enough and Adam was resilient while stubborn too.

I’d not seen Adam in almost eight years. Oddly enough, I don’t miss his presence, his absence though is taunting like a ticking clock reminding me the Years, weeks, and days that were apart.

 

“Livy sweetie what are you doing out here it’s freezing?” Aunt Carol asked as she loomed behind me.

 

I didn’t show it but Aunt Carol was a poignant reminder of my mother. They were similar looking, short blonde hair, warm smiles and icy blue eyes.

 

“I don’t know”

 

In the back of my mind the thought of her thinking me to be a burden pained me further. Her face betrayed no emotion of regret but besides that I saw a hint of what appeared to be insecurity. Perhaps it was the way I acted towards her. I tend to do that when I do or say something imprudently.

Aunt Carol was very caring and when she and Uncle Rodger were granted Custody they took me to their home and treated me like their own. Of where such generosity occurs I’m not sure why they’d do something so ridiculous. They were not the biggest companions with my parents but the day of the funeral they both looked genuinely upset. My lack of respect and gratitude needed to be owed.

Trying sometimes not to think about what could’ve been if my parents weren’t dead. But it hits me hard. The pain is still fresh, twisting like a knife in my chest, aching with grief.

 

“Come on in then silly, you’ll freeze your bottom off’ she ordered her tone losing confidence and gaining a more of a jokingly manner.

 

Eventually I followed her inside after a concise moment.

Sunlight had strewn through every window in the house. Usually it was drafty in winter but with all our contribution in stacking wood and chopping it we managed to maintain a warm home.

The walls were crimson and the kitchen tiled floors were losing their colour. The living room was big and contained pictures of Aunt Carols wedding. Uncle Ben was slung in between them like a drunken sod. His grin on his big plump face seemed to stretch from ear to ear.

 



© 2011 Passionwriter


Author's Note

Passionwriter
Not too concerned with grammar and punctuation

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

199 Views
Added on July 6, 2011
Last Updated on July 6, 2011


Author

Passionwriter
Passionwriter

Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand



About
Nothing really about me. I like tp write its a passion. I don't know if I'm good at writing. It's like hearing yourself sing you don't know if you're good or not until someone esle hears you or in thi.. more..

Writing