kenopsia

kenopsia

A Story by Saranda
"

The haunting emotional aftermath.

"

n. the eerie, forlorn atmosphere of a place that’s usually bustling with people but is now abandoned and quiet"a school hallway in the evening, an unlit office on a weekend, vacant fairgrounds"an emotional afterimage that makes it seem not just empty but hyper-empty, with a total population in the negative, who are so conspicuously absent they glow like neon signs.

         My heart seems to slow whenever I walk those streets, as if my heart has to compensate for the loss it has gained. It seems as though my body has to calm itself, become passive to allow your memories to take full effect.  Words still linger within the corners of the streets; they take shelter in the wood of the bench we once sat upon. If I listen close enough, I can hear your voice trickle throughout the silence. Your laugh seems to haunt me, always catching me off guard when my heart isn’t prepared to relish in the memories. I can feel your breath tickle my chilled skin as I walk through the dew painted grass. Every year, the fair returns and the booths and rides cover up our existence, quieting our words of adoration. Though, night eventually beckons, the rides are closed for the night, and our memories unfold as if we were formerly experiencing them just we did that night. It’s as though our footsteps fall in sync and our words begin to fall out of our mouths, dripping from our lips as if we can’t talk fast enough before our time is up.  If I stand in that now-empty spot while the sun rises, I can feel your arms enclose around my body once again. I can feel your reassurance seeping into my body, warming me more than the sun rise could ever accomplish. As quick as your memory can fulfill me, a voice of a person still drunk of slumber awakens the grounds, and your peaceful presence is hushed. You’re gone, but you’ll always be here.

© 2012 Saranda


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I tend to avoid pieces like this. I've got enough pain and tragedy to deal with, the last thing I need is somebody else bringing me down! But, I saw your intriguing title, which I clicked on, and your piece was so short I had to read it. As expected, yep, it brought me down. ; ) But it's sooo good. Really good. Now, capture this incredible emotion, use your obvious gift for language, and write a full-blown story!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Saranda

11 Years Ago

Ah, thank you so much! I appreciate it very much. I'm trying to develop a story somewhere within my .. read more
Bill

11 Years Ago

I'm a fiction snob. It's really, really hard to write a story. I think that's why most people writ.. read more
Saranda

11 Years Ago

Thank you, thank you, thank you! This actually helped a ton. :) Thanks for taking time to reply!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

271 Views
1 Review
Added on October 13, 2012
Last Updated on October 17, 2012
Tags: love, nostalgia, miss, missing, lover, fairgrounds, forlorn, memories, memory

Author

Saranda
Saranda

MN



About
Hi, I'm Saranda. I find happiness in horses, the Military, words, and nature. I just want to write beautiful things that touch people. 1 Reader more..

Writing
infection infection

A Story by Saranda