Earthquake

Earthquake

A Story by Sarusai Hiryu
"

That's it ... just a description.

"

The sun strode briskly towards its zenith as it always did in the fall, something of the warmth of summer emanating from it still. Farmers welcomed it from their fields with hasty glances at the lush verdure it drew from the obscurity of night to glowing, radiant life, women peered at it out of their houses and dairies, children sang joyously to it as they raced up and down the twisting, winding mountains to their shabby school-house.  


In the serene hamlet of Balakot, another day was drawing steadily on. A day like any other, eighth of an October akin to Octobers that had been and Octobers that stretched out before them in a vista of similarly placid years . Until " until the earth itself began to stir, to tremble beneath their feet like some gigantic monster goaded to wrath, began to fling them about and batter them, crush them under the rubble of their own beloved homes, maim and torture and engulf them altogether.

© 2015 Sarusai Hiryu


Author's Note

Sarusai Hiryu
Inspired by the Oct 8 earthquake.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Great description of the earthquake! This was amazing.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sarusai Hiryu

10 Years Ago

Thank you!
such a nice description of an earthquake.....really enthralling a piece of writing .i like it...you have wrote it so magnificently.......great work.......

Posted 11 Years Ago


cmon if you want write about an earthquake for that the first thing you need to know is how to write.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Sarusai Hiryu

10 Years Ago

No. I just need to know how to type
minato namikaze

10 Years Ago

lol...agreed
This is a great little piece. I am impressed with your vocabulary. It is very advanced, and I had to look a few words up. you had a run on in the first paragraph-- a simple comma splice done twice in the same sentence. Just use a semi-colon instead of a comma to separate related independent clauses and you'll be fine.

Your command of language is strong and I think that it will serve you well. Good use of tone as well. I look forward to reading more of your writing.

Posted 11 Years Ago


so much going on here, there are some intense descriptions. and, i rather enjoy the redundancy in there. thanks for sharing.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Vividly-imaged and lyrical.
A powerful poem, Hibah Shabkhez!

Posted 12 Years Ago


You did a great job of describing an earthquake. Well done.

Posted 12 Years Ago


What a vivid discord between the peace of the day and the wildness of what was awaiting them... You breathe a brilliance into this metaphor... So well done!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Nice work! I like the descriptions of the season and the quake. Eloquently stated.

Posted 12 Years Ago


You captured the suns movement well, I felt its residue warmth. I loved the way you described man, woman and children looking on. I pictured the twisting winding path and the description of the school. The second part captures the drama and the terribleness of the disaster well. This work could be expanded with more detail. Thankyou for this description of our fragile existence on this planet.

Posted 12 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

710 Views
16 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 10, 2011
Last Updated on May 14, 2015

Author

Sarusai Hiryu
Sarusai Hiryu

Caledorne-on-the-Eyrlyndyne, Estayn, Nakushita, Pakistan



About
I dream with my eyes open; I weave songs in prose and essays in poetry; I speak Shakespeare and write "half-yo"... In short, I am. "There is only one difference between a madman and me. I am not m.. more..

Writing
Onegai Onegai

A Poem by Sarusai Hiryu



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Undone Undone

A Poem by TamiViolet


Posterity Posterity

A Poem by Linear


Ageless Love Ageless Love

A Poem by Linear


Journey Journey

A Poem by Robin


rhythms rhythms

A Poem by TamiViolet