Y U Like Dis

Y U Like Dis

A Story by Sarusai Hiryu
"

Anecdote

"
"We do have one reservation," The voice, hitherto mellifluous behind the smile the 'still buffering' loopy arrow had blurred to a snarl, crispened suddenly, and I straightened up. "During a quick glance through your Facebook activity �" standard company procedure, nothing personal �" our psychoanalysts found a disturbing number of memes about drinking at work. 'The best thing about vodka is that it looks like water'. 'Sober work day? What's that?' And so on."

"They're �" memes. I don't actually drink. I just share the memes because they're funny."

"So you have never been drunk at work?"

"No. I have never been drunk at all."

"If that is indeed true," the video buffering lets up just enough to reveal a classic eyebrow lift of incredulity, the kind that could be meme-template gold. "I'm not sure it's a recommenda �" that is to say �" well, why are they funny then?"

"Sorry?"

"Why do you find drunk at work memes funny if you don't drink?"

The CV �" smooth sailing, even a compliment or two. The covering letter and standard interview questions �" no problems, vibes of approval. Was I really going to lose my dream-job because of my taste in memes?

"I �" I don't �" I don't know. Movies and things, I suppose. They're �" they're just memes!"

"Social media activity, like other forms of self-expression, is often more �" revealing �" than we like to admit. For instance, I notice that you did not add #StayAtHome to your profile during the Covid19 crisis. Were you perhaps reticent about the measures taken to prevent the spread of the disease?"

"No! The only time I left the house was to �" wait, how is any of this relevant?"

"We take digital footprints very seriously in this organisation. Yesterday, you retweeted a video, originally shared by a left-wing political organisation, about reducing MP benefits to combat the recession rather than increasing the work week. Would you describe yourself as a communist?"

Reader, they gave me the boot ... Besides doing our taxes and fighting off would-be assaulters, here's another essential life-skill school never taught us … selfing through tech.

© 2021 Sarusai Hiryu


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

31 Views
Added on February 2, 2021
Last Updated on February 2, 2021
Tags: job, interview, questions, meme, boot

Author

Sarusai Hiryu
Sarusai Hiryu

Caledorne-on-the-Eyrlyndyne, Estayn, Nakushita, Pakistan



About
I dream with my eyes open; I weave songs in prose and essays in poetry; I speak Shakespeare and write "half-yo"... In short, I am. "There is only one difference between a madman and me. I am not m.. more..

Writing
Onegai Onegai

A Poem by Sarusai Hiryu