The Devil's Playground

The Devil's Playground

A Story by Scott Andrews
"

What if you had to have an interview before getting into heaven?

"
"What do you mean forever?"
"I mean eternity."
"Doing what exactly?"
"Whatever you like..." The silence hung in the air like a burp at a family dinner.  He ran his fingers through his beard and thought for a moment.  "Tell me Mr Anderson, what's your favourite thing in the world?"
"Whisky," I replied without thinking.
"Ahh," he said, his face frozen in thought.  "Second favourite?
"Erm... sex," I said, embarrassed to be saying it aloud in front of the creator of the universe.
"There's none of that I'm afraid.  That's the Devil's playground."  His voice shook the desk between us.  I stared at my shoelaces, not wanting to offend him more.  "There must be something you like that isn't sinful?  I thought for a moment.  And then it hit me.
"Rock?" I offered.
"Oh yes, geology, it's a marvellous pastime," he smiled at me so broadly I felt my skin warm.
"God no not that, I meant the music," I interjected boldly.  He grew in front of my eyes, filling the room.
"Out, get out!" He shouted so loud it blew me off the chair and against the wall.  When I woke I saw the fires and instantly realised just how stupid I had been. But hey, at least there was good music.

© 2023 Scott Andrews


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

33 Views
Added on March 2, 2023
Last Updated on March 2, 2023
Tags: god, heaven, devil, interview

Author

Scott Andrews
Scott Andrews

United Kingdom



About
Writer, Novelist, One third of the synth pop band YU, Dog Nerd on the Talk2thePaw podcast. more..

Writing