Unaccounted - Part 1

Unaccounted - Part 1

A Story by Sebastian Hugh
"

Bertha spends a frightful evening alone, while a murderer is on the loose..tap..tap...tap ...Whos that standing at the window...?

"

“In other news...Police discovered another body of a woman this evening, making this the eighth murder this month. According to evidence, police have revealed that the killer after strangling the victim, fled the scene on foot and headed to the countryside, particularly the South Route district. Police are urging residents to secure every possible entrance into there homes and have a plan if confronted...


Mark turned off TV.


“Geez...eight murders in a month..” Mark said to Bertha placing his now empty cup of tea on the bench in front of him and stretching his arms above his head, yawning wearily. “I hope he doesn’t pay us a visit” He chuckled, but Bertha didn’t reply.“Well, I guess I better be off…” Mark said looking at the clock. Bertha rose from the sofa. “Oh...do you have to go…” She said anxiously. Mark turned to her and paused for a moment before coughing up a reply. “Well...if we want money to pay the bills and such...I must go to work. Bertha began anxiously biting her fingernails. “But I don’t feel safe...Mark...I mean you heard what they said on the news...South Route isn’t that far from here...He could be right outside our window. Can I go to the clinic with you? Until your shifts over?” She said pleadingly.  “For God's sake Bertha...as long as you keep the doors and windows locked you’ll be fine!” He said trying to cheer her up. “And anyway...we're out here in the middle of the countryside...I don’t think he's just going to be wandering in a paddock looking for his next victim!” Mark continued, pulling his coat and scarf off the coat hanger. “Well...call me as soon as you get to the clinic,” Bertha said firmly. Mark nodded and smiled. “Good bye my darling...and make sure to lock the doors and windows,” Mark said stepping out into the cold night.


Bertha nodded and shut the door behind him, locking it carefully. She peered outwards from the lounge room window as marks car slowly pulled out of the garage and disappeared down the driveway and onto the empty road.


© 2017 Sebastian Hugh


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very gripping from start to finish. The news bulletin felt so real and was so well written. I had the voice of the newscaster in my head as I read along - that shows that you did a good job in portraying who it was mean't to come across. From the way it ended, I feel that there is a long way to go with this story. I for one would love to read what happens next. From the way in which you have engaged me, I am hooked alread. This could be a proper pageturner.

Posted 5 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

101 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on July 17, 2017
Last Updated on July 17, 2017
Tags: Spooky, Murderer, Alfred Hitchcock, Thriller, Suspense, Horror, Creepy, Alone, Weird, Murder Mystery, Scary Story

Author

Sebastian Hugh
Sebastian Hugh

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia



About
Greetings, My name is Seb and I am a freelance writer, artist and filmmaker. My writing style is heavily inspired by the quirky works of writers like Edward Gorey and Lemony Snicket, Dr Seuss and Ro.. more..

Writing