Chapter 3: Gillis Ravern

Chapter 3: Gillis Ravern

A Chapter by Selenium

"Hey, you!" 
I whipped my head around, standing there was Cormac. 
Cormac was 15 years old, a skater-swifty haircut and tiny freckles. You'd think he's sweet when you see him, but he's a rude guy, even though he's sort of my friend.
Cormac was caught driving his uncles pick-up truck after chugging down some of his dad's beer and crashed into a neighbor's mailbox and halfway into the garage. Cormac had to get a couple stitches, and was on crutches for 6 months, but he acted as if he had done it on a dare. Since he was pretty young, they couldn't really arrest him but instead make him be friends or entertain old people at the retirement home a mile from the school.
 "Whaaaat?" I groaned. I was in a pretty bad mood after Ms. Lousky asked us to continue our "bright streak of light" writing into a three page essay.
"After school you wanna go to the retirement home and meet my oldie?" he grinned and showed his chipped front tooth.
"Urm, I'm not sure my mom would be on the right track with you, plus she's down in Coopersville for a business trip."
Cormac put his hands up and chuckled. "So what?!" He replied. "Your dad's, well, gone. And your mum's out. Nobody will notice anything!".
I shrugged. "I guess not". 
~
The little living room had a couple people in it. Plain white floors, ceilings, and walls with an occasional painting of a horse on it. A couple folding tables were folded out with checkers, or chess set up on it. About six people were in here, including Cormac and I. 
"Cass, meet Mr. Ravern!" Cormac announced and waved his hands to an elderly man sitting on a plastic chair near the window. 
We came closer and saw him, a peach-like skinned man. Looked around his 70s or 80s. He was balding, of course, with a small patch of hair atop of his ears. 
A thick chin and several sunspots spread around his arms. He wore a white plain polo shirt and black dress pants. 
"Mr. Ravern, yo Rav, wake up wouldja?" Cormac said impatiently. He nudged Mr. Ravern's arm a couple times. 
"Come on! I've got a pretty chick here!" 
I blushed a bit. 
Mr. Ravern immediately awoke with a "Hum? Whoodaphua?".
Cormac pushed me a bit closer to the elderly man and chuckled a bit.
Mr. Ravern blinked a couple times and his shaking hand grabbed a glass of water sitting on the table near his chair.
He focused his eyes and then looked at Cormac.
"Ah!" He responded. "Cormac Collins! What, you get outta detention early?"
Cormac laughed and leaned on the table, trying to ignore Mr. Ravern's rudeness. 
"Mr. Ravern, it's our appointment, 'member?" Cormac explained.
I bit my lower lip in the awkwardness. Cormac had a long conversation with Mr. Raven about how their day went. I just stood there beside Cormac and examined the surroundings once more.
Minutes later, Cormac realized what was happening. 
"Oh!" He said. "Mr. Ravern, I forgot! This is Cassia!" he said and pointed at me.
Mr. Ravern blinked a couple times once more and then looked at me.
"Ooh! Mr. Collins, is this your girl friend? 'Cause your could have done better." he said and gave Cormac a grin.
"Oh no! This is my friend." 
Cormac then said that he "had to make a tinkle" and left the room.
Mr. Ravern scratched his chin and took a couple more looks at me, then introduced himself.
"Well, Ms. Cassia, my names Gillis Ravern! What, did Cor-mick force you here?" I gave a friendly smile and sighed. 
  "Um, no. Annyways, I'm Cassia Kampens, how are you? And call me Cass, the 'Miss' isn't really necessary."
Mr. Ravern gave me a "whaddya think" look and crossed his arms. He cleared his throat and then began.
  "Well, I sleep for an hour and then be awoken by a bruyants boy and a foolish girl! And yesterday, Fanny Packins right there," he said and pointed to an old lady with pointed rims glasses and white curled hair sitting and reading a magazine.
    "she spilled my hot lunch splat! on the floor. Afterwards, I'm sitting here enjoyin' the scenery like I was before I fell asleep today, and a big ol' tiger-cat comes from the bush. That laide chose killed a bird!"
I thought over what he said and asked him in a quiet voice " ''laide chose'? 'bruyants'? What language is that?"
Mr. Ravern burst out laughing and threw his hands up in the air like he was reaching for clouds.
"Bah! What good are you if you don't know the French language of love!?"
I just shrugged, he threw his hands up again and mumbled "Kids these days..."


© 2011 Selenium


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

205 Views
Added on September 24, 2011
Last Updated on September 28, 2011
Tags: lucid, teen, young adult, teen & young adult, humor, action, drama, sort of adventure, selinium


Author

Selenium
Selenium

Madison , WI



About
My name is Selina and I enjoy writing stories, I am very awkward...hi? more..

Writing