THE PATH ON WHICH I TRAVELLED

THE PATH ON WHICH I TRAVELLED

A Story by $êlvån
"

It is a story about a dad and son. A son goes for job and fails to care for his parents. when he returns back he realizes how important the relations are and how to overcome his mistakes.

"

I was very irritated as the flight got delayed by 7 hours. I was supposed to reach home before the rise of the sun today but now it’s going to set down. I am coming back to India after a gap of 2 years and never in these days I really had an urge to come home. I was the only son of my parents and for me my dad was my hero. I am currently working in Dubai in an oil company and I was so much preoccupied with my work and life that I never thought of being in home and being with my parents.

It was mid January in the capital and winter was at its peak as usual and almost all the flights were flying with some delay. At last my flight along with some 150 plus passengers reached the Indra Gandhi Terminal around 6:30 PM. Even during my stay in Dubai I only used to call home once in a couple of weeks. For me my dad was my hero when I was 6, my teacher when I was 10, my villain till 18 and my friend then after. He will be waiting for me in the airport since a very long time I guess although I informed him that I will come home in taxi. I was on two weeks leave and finally I got to land my feet on the Delhi soil after 2 long years.

Don’t know why I was having a sense of guilt inside me and was having a strange emotions that it was me who tried to run away from all these things and I was more concerned about enjoying my bachelors life in Dubai . Though I used to send money to dad but I knew it was not everything. Without my dad I was like a rain drop and it was my dad who carried this small drop with him like the clouds. Finally I came out and saw him standing. He was a typical Indian father. He was wearing the small old black jacket which he bought when I was in 9th.  The moment I saw him he grip of my hands grew weaker and I let my bag to fell down. My legs started to pace up and don’t know why I ran and hugged him so tightly. My dad Mr. Manohar Kumar is a senior supervisor in Delhi Jal board. He jacket had lost the shine and it hardly protected him from cold. He was wearing the old pair of slippers that had lost its original color. His golden watch was not golden anymore. As far as Dubai was concerned my weekend celebration starts as early as Friday night but I never ever saw my father doing the same. He never enjoyed the life of his own, I was his life and his dream was I, and to see me at great position as every genuine Indian father do. The very next thing which my father did was that he took my left hand and gently started rubbing near my elbow. I had a small bike accident around a year ago and got my elbow injured. Even I forgot that incident but my father had it fresh in his mind as once I informed about this during a phone call. There were tears rolling off his eyes as he might be seeing his son after a long time. People become more emotional during early and latter stages of their life. “I’m alright daddy and please let’s go home soon I’m so hungry”. “ Ya let’s move then” he said and lifted one of the bag but I resisted him in doing so but as usual he was very adamant with whatever he did. He was walking in front of me and I was following him as I used to do when I was 8 during the morning walks with my dad. I used to run and my dad used to walk to match up the pace. Even still now I didn’t ask him about his health. A self generated wave of remorse was developing inside me. He was walking in front of me and I was silently following him. He didn’t even ask me the reason for not turning up towards the home even once in these two years. “Dad how is your health now?” I asked him and started walking faster in order to match his pace. “I’m fine my son” he ended it as simple as it seems.

Finally we reached the parking place. I was feeling as if I was in the ocean of cars. My dad didn’t stop and started walking beyond it. Usually living in Dubai I travelled everywhere in the car that was offered to me by the company. My dad didn’t own a car and it took few million seconds for me to recollect it. We were a lower middle class family in Delhi and owning a car really meant much more than it is. “Dad where is your bike” I asked. It has been quite a long since I walked so much continuously but I know it was nothing new for my dad. We had a Hero Honda Splender bike which my dad bought around 10 years back. “It has gone bit old my son and now I don’t require it too often” he said. I immediately asked “how do you go for work then?” for which he replied ”By metro or sometimes by bus”. I was now earning enough that I could easily buy my dad a new car but he can’t even afford to buy or even repair his bike. He never in these 2 years complained about this or maybe I never cared to make sure he is comfortable back here. I then waved my hand towards a taxi and then we both got into it leaving behind the luggage. The driver kept them inside and my dad guided him with the path to reach our home. Although it was the same old home in which I was born and brought up but now it seemed to be smaller. The distemper from the wall was gone, the roof had lost its shine and the old cooler probably made noise rather than pumping in the air. It was all because I lived in luxurious flat with plastic paints that were applied on the wall as if Jam was applied on the bread, designer roofs and centralized air conditioner. With the passage of time I forgot my past, my parents and my life. The flat old TV gave the hall a museum view as all I saw in last couple of years were LCDs with almost no thickness. Since childhood my parents used to buy me new cloths during each and every festival and they wore the same old ones with an excuse that they already had plenty. Today I could see that my luggage was more than what they had at home.

“Go and take bath Beta, I’ve kept hot water for you” she said and handed over the towel to me. I could easily remember those days of mine when I hated bathing because my dad didn’t let me to use hot water as it’s not that good for health and thought that bathing with hot water will make me a lazy boy. That time I hated him a lot but today he himself told me to bath with hot water. He has changed and now I miss my old dad. I wanted him to stop me bathing from hot water. I wanted him the way he was - stiff and strict. I once again wanted to argue with my dad, wanted to hug and sleep with my mom, and wanted to play pranks on mom along with my dad.

I slowly let the warm water to relax my body, and simply sat over there. Something was seriously making me feel weak, my hands denied to lift the mug and lungs demanded more oxygen than a marathon racer. The sense of irresponsibility mixed with guilt was making me feel weak. I tried to avoid all these strange feelings and quickly wrapped up bathing. My mom had prepared variety of dishes today. Though Chicken gravy and Briyani covered most of the surface area of my plate but minorities like jalabi and mango shake added the real color to the dinner. “I prepared this for the lunch itself” she said and sat beside me serving for me and dad. She never ate before my dad. After a heavy dinner we all went to the bed and it was 1 A.M. but I was sure none of us will fall asleep soon. Both my dad and mom were so excited about my return that it won’t let them to sleep soon. I and dad was lying in the bed while mom on the floor. “You will stay here for at least couple of months right?” asked dad. I actually planned to stay at home for 4 days as we all friends planned a trip to Darjeeling but I didn’t wanted to disclose it now so I said “Ya dad”. Who am I to stop a dad from enjoying his days with his son? “Tell what you want for breakfast to your mom”. “Dad nothing special, just stop giving me this VIP treatment”.

I studied in APS School in the Lodi Nagar and later my dad joined me in an Engineering college which I really didn’t deserve. He had to pay 3 lac donations to get me a seat in such a big college where the college fee was around 5 times my dad’s monthly income. I then started chatting with dad “Many things have changed since couple of years isn’t it?” I asked to continue the casual chat. “It’s not like that, it’s the same old city with same schedule” he said. Suddenly I remembered about our neighbor so I asked “where is Mishra ji”. He was my dad’s best friend. “They shifted to Pune two years ago” replied my mom. “Actually their son got job in some company. It’s something called Ascenter” she added. “It’s Accenture not Ascenter. I have told you millions of time that don’t murder the words. Better keep mum if you don’t know” said my dad in a stiff voice. These kind of small arguments were common between my mom and dad. I was born after 7 years of my parent’s marriage so it was quite obvious that they were bit intimate. They both now started talking about how to pronounce the words and started pointed out each other’s mistakes which they committed while they spoke something.

After talking to my dad I moved on to the Television but still I was going through a sense of realization. Oh why I acted in such an immature way. I wasn’t feeling good enough to speak anymore. It’s not the condition or the situation which changed me but it was me who wove all these around me for my own self motive. I acted as if I was sleeping and they both too soon stopped the talking and slept. I was not getting my sleep. It wasn’t Dubai where a pack or two of Vodka will give you as sound sleep as anything else. Among the hundreds of questions that sprung in my mind one among them still seemed prominent.”AM I GOOD OR BAD??” Why should this question arise in my mind? Have I committed any crime or did I motivate someone to do one. Today I have to sleep with these millions of questions which strike within me every now and then.

“Beta get up. I thought you would have changed after going to a job. You still sleep for so long “said my mom beating me on my back. “F"I---V--------E minute more mom pleaseeee” I literally yawned out these words out. “NOOOOOOO” she continued. “Your dad had already left for the work, just get up check the time its 11.30. I’m waiting for you for the breakfast get up my dear my babbbyyy.” She knew this is the only way to wake me up. She then sat in the bed near me and I then glided without getting up and placed my head in her lap. Her hands on my head were softer than the world’s best comb and her lap the best pillow a man could literally afford to buy. After 15 min I got up as didn’t wanted to keep her hungry anymore.

After having the breakfast I went to my friend’s home and was thinking to find some way out from going on a recreational trip to Darjeeling. I still was unable to fetch a reason which I should post in front of them so that they could possibly agree with my request. “K dude enjoy and hope you get a good partner” said Raj showing his approval for my request. He was the dominant person in our gang. I know him very well as we were very close friends and he won’t agree that easily. That’s why I lied to him that my parents had planned an informal meeting with my distant relative and said that they are planning to fix an engagement for the marriage soon so I had to be with my family without any choice. Finally anyhow I got to escape from the tour which was originally my idea. I remained there till 4 in the evening.

“Dad where are you?” I asked him in the phone. “I’m in my office. Why, what happened” she asked. “Hmmm K come to CP and I’ll be waiting near the metro station. I’ll be waiting there for you”. ”For what you went there?” he asked. “Just come soon dad I’ll tell you everything” and by saying so I kept the phone. After half an hour my dad did come. The sun was going to set soon and the weather was becoming chilly. I then called an auto and told him to go to the bike showroom. “Dad today I want you to once again ride me back to home” I said and pointed towards the bikes. “Hey, don’t waste money Beta I feel comfortable with Metro”. I’m not gonna listen to you at all” and finally after few more minute of convincing him he finally agreed. “Sir shall I take the Discover out which you saw last month?” the sales person asked to my dad for the confirmation. My dad now saw me with a childish face but all I could do was smile. He already came here and even he chose a bike. But never had he asked for the extra money for the bike. Oh! Why dad why? When would you start living for your own I said to myself. Anyways today I sat behind him in bike after 6 years and this seriously gave me some relief which I couldn’t express with collection or words or so. My mom was very happy with the new bike. When we reached the home she performed the rituals and then we all three had our dinner happily.

It was my dad who taught me how to count. I still could recollect my childhood days when my dad used assign numbers to each step which led to our terrace when there were power cuts during night. I used to climb each one by counting 1 to 14. Today whatever I am, it’s just because of him and even the college in which I studied was not because the marks which I scored. I owe everything to him. After having the dinner I went inside the blanket to get some heat into my body and both mom and dad were talking about my childhood days and how naughty I was. Today I was feeling much better. My mom then broke my silence” Beta for how long you have to be in Dubai?” “There is no hard and fast rules mom. You can switch over once your contract is over.” There was a sudden delight in my mom’s face and she said “Join a good company in the Capital itself Beta. I’ll tell your dad to search one for you. Even your dad wants you to be with him”. All these words are clearly speaking something more and showing me how much they missed me. I was not having an immediate reply for my mom. Dad was shuffling the channels and I could see the eagerness in mom’s face about my answer. I just nodded to her and she smiled back to me. I really want to come to you mom I said to myself. My mom never had a separate identity of her own and was more or less like my father’s shadow and my as far as my dad was concerned he never ever did a thing without her consent.

My dad was an artist; not because he played guitar or painted well but because he knew how to lead his life. It was because of him I realized that how a man can do so much of sacrifice and still remain so selfless and down to earth. Today I made a decision to leave everything back; yes I’ve convinced the one inside me that I should now serve the ones who saw their life in mine.

Next morning I got up early because I wanted to talk to my dad before he leaves off to work. He was reading the newspaper sitting in the verandah. I went near him and interrupted him”Dad I wanted to talk to you about something”. “Ya tell my son” he said keeping away the newspaper he held. Satya Nadella the next CEO of Microsoft was the headlines that covered most of the front page of The Hindu. I took one chair and dragged it near me and made sure the chair didn’t made any sound because my dad gets irritated hearing them. ”Dad can you help me in searching a job in Delhi.” He then dragged the chair close to me and the wrinkles over his forehead were now quite prominent. “I thought you just said to your mom last night to give her temporary relief” he started. I took a long breathe and told him            ” Indeed I had said so to please her but I mean what I said right now”. There was an extra boldness in my voice. It was as clear as my decision. “See my son; don’t do anything silly just because your mom said so and risk away your career” he tried to give a simple reply.”BUT DAAAD” I tried to retrieve words which I had practiced to speak in front of my dad last night. But within my brain could fetch my mouth with some words my dad said” You have to reach more heights in your life. See I and your mom are old now and it is quite obvious for us to miss you, but for that you can’t quit your job” and tried to justify his point. His facial expression and the words which he spoke didn’t sync properly. It seemed like the loving dad inside him wanted me with him always but at the same time a responsible father in him wanted his son to concentrate and earn more. “Dad I’m afraid.” I said keeping my voice as low as I could.”I need a lap to sleep, I need a tongue to get scolded, and I need you both” I added without any great change in my modulation. He remained silent for few minute and so did I. He was now getting drifted away from his stand and he nodded as he too didn’t know what to say. “Hmmm that’s all ok but still I would suggest you to think hundreds of times before you chose something” he said. He added “Working in a new environment won’t be that easy either. I guess you still remember how much we both struggled to get you a job in Dubai”. Actually there was only 50% truth in what he said. It was he who struggled the most in getting me a job. He then took the newspaper and resumed turning the pages.” Ya dad I know everything. Today I’ve grown up so old but still I can’t point to a single achievement that I have made myself. You were there to push me up; you were there to catch me when I feel. I once again need your hand to hold me”. My dad’s face was now like a small boy who just lost his toy car. “Why are you thinking like that my son. I’m your dad and it is a responsibility for every dad to make their children happy” he said. There was subtle amount of proud feeling in his voice mixed with responsibility. I was now feeling wicked and my voice had lost the power” And do you think in these 2 years I fulfilled my duty towards you as a son”. For the very first time I was talking to my dad like this. I had never spoken to my dad like this. I always had been at the receiving end; let it be his love and care or his scolding. My dad then moved his head in half agreement to what all I said. There was silent between us and he then said he had to get ready for the office and went to take shower.

Few days passed away with my parents, it went off sooner than expected and today I have my flight back to Dubai. “Dad don’t tell mom about it and I’ve also informed my friends to search a job, you too try to find one soon” I said as we both were packing the things in my bag. Mom was busy in kitchen. My dad was packing my bag as he never allowed me or mom to do so. When I was a child I thought he had a misconception that if he packed the bag he could literally put couple of more stuff with the same space but till the time I realized that what he thought was right I was far away in Dubai. The morning chat with my day few days ago made me feel bit relaxed and I could see extra bit of energy in my dad since then. We finally packed everything and my mom gently massaged on my head and gave half a dozen of kisses on my head. Tears were rolling off her eyes once again “Beta come back soon. These few days passed away so quickly. Isn’t it? ” She was having an emotional time. “Ya I’ll come here as soon as possible and now please don’t cry mom I’m always in your heart”. Finally dad and I were on the way to the airport. In the taxi as was advising me all the things as what to do and what not to do, believe me or not; for the very first time I loved them all. After reaching the airport my dad took one bag from me and we started crossing the road. I still wanted to be his small child. I still wanted to hold his fingers while crossing the road and I did that. My dad saw with a smile. We reached well before time and now it was few last minutes with my dad. I then kept my bag down and my dad was speaking something about the insurance and all that I should put up in future. I moved close to him and hugged him as tightly as I could. Sometimes a hug says a lot more than just words. He too hugged me and there were tears in both of our eyes. “Dad please don’t leave me dad” I said. He then gently patted my shoulder and said “comes soon my son”. I then took my bag and moved for the security check. My dad stood there till I was went invisible to him and then I bid with BYE finally. This trip has changed me completely and I have realized what relations are and what is takes to hold them up. I have realized my mistakes and it is me who will have to correct it.             Your parents won’t be your guardians throughout their life. One day it will change, you have to become their parents. They too need you as you needed them when you cried nude for milk at 1 and for toys at 5. They will never ask anything from us because god only knows how to give. It is the duty of each one of us to care for the one who are the reason for whatever we are today. At last I would like to say-

Try to be the father of your dad. HE WILL LOVE IT J.

© 2014 $êlvån


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I did enjoy the story, as well as the voice of the piece but I would have to tell you to go through the writing and read each sentence to check for grammar errors, because there were a quite a bit. and since it was a story it was too hard for me to just write them all out for you.
The story was good you just need to back that up with clean sentences.

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

336 Views
1 Review
Added on April 20, 2014
Last Updated on April 28, 2014
Tags: love, indian, dad, hero, mom, delhi

Author

$êlvån
$êlvån

delhi, Humanity, India



About
Different from the world but so similar like the other guys out here!! -A typical 18year boy with some dreams which are within my reach.. -i'm not lazy but i usually don't employ myself in anything .. more..

Writing
 MY MOM MY MOM

A Poem by $êlvån