Writing Tips

Writing Tips

A Poem by Blue
"

from me

"

Writing Tips



Someone just messaged me if I can offer her some writing tips to improve her craft. People like her truly amaze me. They are willing to be taught, to be better. I believe wisdom belongs to those who are humble enough to accept that they still have lots to learn.


I was flattered to have been asked because I am no expert in this field. I'm just a struggling writer who's passionately in love with language, literature, learning, love, and life. I don't have noteworthy awards to boast. I don't have the exact formula for writing success. I am not even the right person to be asked! But I know few things that might be of great help.


I have accumulated these writing tips consciously and unconsciously with the aid of my habitual reading and writing. For more reliable tips, I recommend books and other sources written especially for writers.


Enough babbling. Let's start?



Tip # 1: Read a lot!


Read classic literature. Read contemporary literature. Read poems, songs, novels, plays, and articles. Read about romance, sci-fi, thriller, and fantasy. Read magazines, newspapers, billboards, menus, and receipts. The exposure to a myriad of various styles and techniques will equip you with sufficient vocabulary and knowledge that you need in writing. It will also increase your awareness of your preferred style and you might consider imitating it for now. As your commitment to writing deepens, you will eventually discover your own style, your own 'voice'.

 

Also, as you progress on the ladder of literary maturity, your preferences will gravitate toward quality works. And the more you surround yourself with quality works, your writing will be influenced to some extent.

 

Tip # 2: Write a lot!


Make it a habit to jot down flashes of thoughts as they occur. It doesn't matter whether you have a cozy notebook at hand or just a used table napkin (I sometimes write on my flesh as a last resort). Devote yourself to constant utility of paper and pen. Write when you have a chance. Write when you don't know how to start. Write when you don't know what to write about. Don't wait for the perfect time. It never comes. Sometimes you just have to prod your muse out of her idleness.

 

Tip # 3: Keep calm and just write.


Never let your fears prevent you from writing. Writers, novice or expert, are often paralyzed by the prospect of dealing with their monsters. These monsters feed you with unhealthy and oftentimes false statements such as "You are merely wasting your time", "Any first-grader can write better than you", or "That's nonsense. You call yourself a writer?" . They take enormous pleasure in bombarding you with negatives. They delight in frightened minds, trembling hands, hesitant strokes... Don't give them that satisfaction. Instead, just write. They will scurry away upon seeing the courage of your effort.

 

Tip # 4: Let the child out.


Play with words, play with rhymes, play with inversions, play with styles. Unless you are writing for an academic assignment, write whatever you want. No holding back. Just like how children play for the sole purpose of entertaining themselves, write for your own pleasure. That way, the words will flow naturally. And you'll have fun, too!

 

Tip # 5: Practice and practice.


Acknowledge the present state of your craft. If it's so boring and elementary, don't berate yourself. Instead, learn how to improve your skill. If you think you are already a good writer and that there is nothing more to learn, don't congratulate yourself too much. Discover the gift of lifelong learning and you'll springboard to sucesses beyond your imagination. Remember the common knowledge: the more you practice, the better you become.

 

Tip # 6: Choose strong nouns and verbs.


All excellent writers know the danger of adjectives and adverbs and they avoid them as much as possible. They threaten the quality of work especially if used tactlessly and excessively. More often, overused or misused modifiers simply distract the readers. 

 

Tip # 7: Brevity is beauty.


Master the art of economy without sacrificing quality. One of the greatest mistakes writers commit is telling too much. They torture their readers by the unnecessary details and unjustified length. Ideas run in pointless circles. Please, please! Your readers have other better things to do with their precious time. Save them from boredom and regrets.

 

Tip # 8: Master grammar.


This is common sense. A writing that promises good content but with glaring grammatical errors and disappointing punctuations is a huge literary offense. Minor and almost unnoticeable mistakes are forgivable but seriously...unless you want to insult your English teachers for their ineffectiveness, please have the decency to write with flawless grammar. Your readers will thank you for it.

 

Tip # 9: Write with your heart.


The best writings are conceived from this vital organ. Don't be pretentious and try to impress your readers with your linguistic intelligence. Even a poem with the simplest choice of words can have a dramatic impact compared to a show-off smart-sounding one. Make no mistake, I admire writers who maximize the potentials of their vocabulary bank but know that this doesn't guarantee quality. Have passion in what you do.

 

Tip # 10: Keep learning.


Attend seminars. Read books. Watch news. Be mindful of the world around you. Love life. Take interest in the minute details of the universe. Stars were exhausted subjects of poetry. Do not limit yourself. Write about your venerable carpet. Write about your cursed pimples. Write about me! (Haha!)



When these tips helped you achieve your literary 'enlightenment' and you beat Shakespeare off his fame, I would appreciate your tattooed autograph on my forehead.


Keep writing! :)

© 2014 Blue


Author's Note

Blue
The tips are in random order and are not exactly carefully laid-out. I know I have missed some important points but anyway, I hope this helps. Thank you for the opportunity to share what I know. God bless!

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

All helpful tips. Glad you wrote this. Great job.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Congrats Arzel,
This is a wonderful list, I'm sure this will help many new comers of writing.
A+ :-)

Posted 10 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Pax
wow, I never did write writing tips, because I don't have any. But I do agree in all...

#1 This is been advice by many, almost everyone I asked told me so... read, read, and read some more...

#2 Haha, write on the flesh... I remember the time, I usually draw something at my wrist, like a tatoo, a frustrated artist as i am..lol.. Yes, I do agree with yah... when a though comes to mind I write them on my phone...

#3 I like it, I don't have many fears in writing but my emotions are usually my drive into writing.

#4 Yes, I let him out sometimes... just sometimes maybe because he asked such profound questions...

#5 Yes, I totally agree. Nothing beats to keep on trying, keeps on practicing your learning...

#6 ahh... my weakness... I don't know, I just write, never minding everything the rules of grammar at first, then just edit it afterwards its all finished... edit comes on the later part after everything is all done...

#7 good point, and I agree as well...

#8 ahh, like I said on #6 this is my weakness, but I never give up on finding correcting the mistakes, i just keep on learning, head on and write and write...

#9 this is the first reason why I got into writing. Poetry is my means of release. To pen any burden, a negative feeling that needs to be expressed than to be kept...

#10 I think this should be number two... life is a lifetime of learning... it never do stop... even though we thought we stop doing it, but it does keeps it cycle...

Great advice, kabayan, I admire this list...
lots to learned from...
keep penning...

Posted 10 Years Ago


I totally agree with all of these, and there is definitely always room to get better. very useful piece!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Blue

10 Years Ago

Thank you, Speedy Hobbit. I've received your message and thank you all the more for that. I'll check.. read more
I concur with all of these. Well penned.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Blue

10 Years Ago

Thank you, TL.
Very good advice given. All your points are true. Writing is hard work. We try to improve and the hard part. Sell our poetry as some kind of value for the readers. You are very wise. I keep a dictionary near and try to read daily. Thank you for sharing the excellent poetry.
Coyote

Posted 10 Years Ago


Blue

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much, Coyote! Anyway, are you sending RRs? I read only those I have received and I feel.. read more
What a brilliant idea, Arzel. I'll certainly share your advice and guidance. Thank you and welcome!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Blue

10 Years Ago

Hey, thanks, Emma. I'm glad you find this helpful!
I try to follow all these great tips, except the 9th one, which I can never do.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Blue

10 Years Ago

Why not? I'm curious...
Marie

10 Years Ago

I write with my mind, not my heart. Others can share themselves, and I cannot.
great tips for all Ms Arzel Joy
E.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Blue

10 Years Ago

Thank you, Einstein!
A nice selection of 10 tips, it is certain to help those seeking to master the craft. Thanks for sharing your expertise.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Blue

10 Years Ago

Thank you, Eddie!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

578 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 13, 2014
Last Updated on February 16, 2014
Tags: writing, writing tips

Author

Blue
Blue

City of Love, Pearl of the Orient Seas



About
Hi, there! I don't know who I really am but let's start with my name. I am Arzel Joy, otherwise known as Blue here in WC. I have more pressing matters at hand so I have reduced my time spent on th.. more..

Writing
Please Tell Him Please Tell Him

A Poem by Blue


Sank, Saved Sank, Saved

A Poem by Blue


Drowning Drowning

A Poem by Blue



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


~ Insanity ~ ~ Insanity ~

A Poem by s y e


Falling Falling

A Story by Samuel Dickens