The Natural Human Skill

The Natural Human Skill

A Story by Jake Brunton
"

Written by Jake Brunton on 9/27/2016 @ 3:55 PM.

"

     Writing and language are rather intriguing tools. The ultimate medium with no bars, no limits attached. It’s a peaceful form, a destructive form, a mad-going form. Art and magic can both be found in writing. The artist of the word dispels experiences, history, and creativity onto a sheet so it may be further worked upon by the eyes which read it. A beautiful image.

     When I write poetry, prose, short stories, and articles, I am irritated. Working on a new piece is always irritating for an artist: he must take time, he must take thought and consideration, he must take form and change it. And doing this makes the artist irritated. But this irritation isn’t that of your everyday peeve, rather it’s an affirmation of your love for your work.

     Indistinguishable from the other arts, writing is a universal skill to posses. I am not at all the greatest man to think and apply perspective and angles to a sketch, but with a word and a structure I can find myself happy with the sentences I draw. When I write, I feel the release from skill expectancy yet retain the skill at the same time. It’s a paradox of a gorgeous proportion, and it is not challenged by any of the other arts.

     Perhaps my favorite feature of writing would be freedom. Humans are creatures for freedom, and when you have a universal skill for a freedom-devoted art, all is well. While structure, punctuation, rules are all present for writing, they’re inclined for the most pickiest of literary analyst. Painting expects the paints to be applied like a piece of art; writing expects nothing and the art is simply there for all of time. We can fuse creativity with all the romance of a stanza, the detail of a paragraph, and even destroy such things to mend the perfect write; the perfect work.

    Unfortunately, writing is either overlooked or neglected. Why, it is such a shame we come to abuse the ultimate art, the ultimate communicative form, the ultimate medium. It’s such a shame we live divided against the arts, arts we “can do” and “can’t do.” It’s a shame we blame the words for why we “don’t understand,” even though the words demand not understanding. We are fractal in that we either are the analyst of literature, or we are the under educated man who cannot do such a task. Good riddance! I say to such a conclusive thought. Writing isn’t meant to be understood, and it is not meant to be a “do” or “don’t.” Writing is meant to be the natural form we impose our agendas, our ideals, our thoughts, our wants, our experiences, our histories, and our emotions on. It is meant to be nothing more than simply what we use to be human.

-Jake E. Brunton

© 2016 Jake Brunton


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love this Jake. You passion for writing and belief in it as a human occupation comes through so strongly. Well written!

I have a similar philosophy, despite considering myself more a technician than an artist. I believe writing, like all art, is a human endeavour. Greatness should be lauded for sure, but the process in and of itself should be celebrated!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the matter and getting me fired up!

Posted 7 Years Ago


Jake Brunton

7 Years Ago

Thanks for your comment S. Mi! I appreciate it and I'm glad it motivated you some! :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

165 Views
1 Review
Added on September 27, 2016
Last Updated on September 29, 2016
Tags: writing, literature, thoughts, arts, jake brunton

Author

Jake Brunton
Jake Brunton

OH



About
Jake E. Brunton (a.k.a SenpaiJake); CS student and dude. I love to write poetry. My works are heavily inspired by the lyrics and poetry of Dir En Grey's 'Kyo', Walt Whitman, and Emily Dickinson. I .. more..

Writing
Anxiety Anxiety

A Poem by Jake Brunton