Chapter 6: Turn a Blind Eye

Chapter 6: Turn a Blind Eye

A Chapter by Eryn ♪

I heard the soft crunch of her footfalls; for a fraction of a second I had found her. I made the lunge only to feel a sharp pain at my back.
"Too slow short stop." Clair laughed gleefully. "Do you want me to go easier on you?"
I ground my teeth in reply. The training had been going on for weeks now. I could make my way around the base, but one step outside and I was lost again.
"Close your eyes Seth, you don't need them." Jay's voice said. Every time he talked it was like I could see the energy of his words silhouetting him making him stand out against the darkness.
"Gee thanks Jay, I couldn't remember that." I said bitter from the unintentional jab. Still, I did as he said. When it came to this he was always the hand of reason. Thinking things through. Usually.
"What's wrong? Do you need to run to you mommy? You're dear blue Jay maybe? How about Joshy?" Clair was relentless. It made me furious. I let loose another swing hoping to catch her in the gut.
"Hey watch it!" came Neil's voice. Neil was a newbie like Joshua and I, having only joined a week after the two of us he quickly became one of our better friends among the group.
"Sorry. Was aiming for loudmouth over here."
"Are you referring to me?" pipped up Clair. "You don't have to be so rude you know."
I could practically see her grinning from ear to ear, her feeling of pride towards putting me down. Like it used to radiate from her when she took us out in the nights before the meteor hit, it radiated from her now. I could feel her staring down on me even when I stood almost a foot over her. Back then I could have sworn I would feel her malicious aura long before she reached me. And, as I stood now surrounded in this world drowned in night I felt that way again. Felt it so strongly that I could practically visualize her silhouette surrounded by what must surely be the fire red glow of her aura. I watched the glow dance around in darkness, it mesmerized me.
"Wake up lazy bones, we're here to fight not sleep."
I snapped back to reality, readying my stance, preparing to face the fire. I played on the feelings radiating towards me as well as the shallow footfalls of the fleet footed Dragon. I took a swing towards it, certain I would come up with air as I had countless times during these practices. Instead my fist found purchase and I heard the tell tale oomph of the wind being knocked out of Clair. The glow faded down to glowing embers and I moved towards it hoping that it was okay.
The next thing I knew I was swept off my feet landing heavily on my back.
"Next time I won't go so easy on you." Once again I could only hear Clair, her radiating aura had dissipated, lost in the endless fog.
"Need a hand?" came a voice beside me, Joshua's voice.
"Why help now?" I asked my voice full of acid. "You haven't for the last three weeks!"
"I'm sorry Seth, I had to make sure everyone was okay."
"Right, fine then, forget about me. I need some air."
I made my way towards the doors, only to be stopped by a heavy hand on my shoulder.
"Seth," Joshua said, "there's something I need to tell you."
I pulled away and kept walking.
"Leave me alone."



© 2012 Eryn ♪


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Boy, why did Seth join a group in the first place that doesn't exactly support the weakest link; him? A group can't work like that. I understand that everyone is trying to help by having him fight Clair - who I thought would be a romantic interest for Seth but I have taken a gradual disliking to her - but none are exactly graceful about it. Not even the leader, Jay. I'm still trying to grasp the style of your writing. Perhaps you're more realistic than myself. You make everyone hard on Seth where I would have them mother him. One way or the other, he would get sick of the way he was being treated and try to become stronger.

I apologize for not reviewing earlier. Life, as you may well know, has a way of... being distractive. Work, school, family, it takes its toll. Still, you've gotten my attention with Seth's "Flames in the dark" trait now. I am very much looking forward to the future of your story and seeing just how Seth's skill, even though blind, will help him as well as his group endure the end days. Keep up the good work, my friend. I eagerly await your next chapter. :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Eryn ♪

11 Years Ago

if you pity the blind man then he will live a life in constant need of others, if you push the blind.. read more


Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Reviews

Boy, why did Seth join a group in the first place that doesn't exactly support the weakest link; him? A group can't work like that. I understand that everyone is trying to help by having him fight Clair - who I thought would be a romantic interest for Seth but I have taken a gradual disliking to her - but none are exactly graceful about it. Not even the leader, Jay. I'm still trying to grasp the style of your writing. Perhaps you're more realistic than myself. You make everyone hard on Seth where I would have them mother him. One way or the other, he would get sick of the way he was being treated and try to become stronger.

I apologize for not reviewing earlier. Life, as you may well know, has a way of... being distractive. Work, school, family, it takes its toll. Still, you've gotten my attention with Seth's "Flames in the dark" trait now. I am very much looking forward to the future of your story and seeing just how Seth's skill, even though blind, will help him as well as his group endure the end days. Keep up the good work, my friend. I eagerly await your next chapter. :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Eryn ♪

11 Years Ago

if you pity the blind man then he will live a life in constant need of others, if you push the blind.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

648 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on December 28, 2012
Last Updated on December 28, 2012


Author

Eryn ♪
Eryn ♪

Ontario, Canada



About
I am 21 with red hair and aqua eyes. I face life one picture, one word at a time. Some call me odd, I prefer eccentric. I have fought my demons and I have won. I am known to have ADD. I move forw.. more..

Writing
Battle Royal Battle Royal

A Story by Eryn ♪


Waking Waking

A Chapter by Eryn ♪