Chapter 30: Return

Chapter 30: Return

A Chapter by Eryn ♪

"No." Danta's voice was stern. "I can't believe you would even ask me to take you back to that - that  hell hole. We barely got out of there once, and now that we are safe you want to go back?"
I hear him chuckle in disbelief.
"I mean I expect this thing from you kid," he says towards me, "But you too? Gods, am I doomed to take care of idiot children for eternity?"
I hang my head.
"I wont be like that." I mumble.
"What was that?" He asks.
"He said it won't be like with Phoenix and Solomon." I Clair says.
"Is that so?!" Danta says seething, "And tell me how exactly you expect me to believe that a blind kid and a teenage girl are supposed to survive that s**t when even my own sons couldn't survive these Ethereal freaks?"
"Bu-"
I feel a strong arm grab me by my shirt and push me back against the wall.
"Don't you understand you dense piece of s**t? Those things killed them!"
"No..." I choke out.
"Pardon?" Danta asks.
"I-I..."
"Speak up!"
"I did it, it's my fault they are dead. Pheonix died protecting me and I shot Solomon to save Clair."
The air hung like a dense fog.

*Thud*

I hit the floor and coughed as I caught my breath.
"Get out." Danta's voice was cold and quiet.
"GET OUT!" 
I scramble to my feet and make a break for the door just barely dodging the bottle thrown where I was a moment ago.


**************

*Hurk*
Another wave of vomit passes my lips splashing over the ground. As I finish releasing my breakfast I hear footsteps stopping just beside me.
"Here drink this." I hear Clair say beside me.
"What is it?" I ask.
"Poison... It's water dumbass, what do you think."
I wave my hand in front of my eyes.
"Er... right." Clair remarks and hands me the water.

"So what are we going to do?" Clair asks as I take a sip; the cold liquid easing the acid in my throat.
"I'm not sure, I guess we could try to hijack another car, though you'll have to drive."I reply.
"Not sure that's an option, I don't know how to hot wire a car."
"We could... hmm."
We sat there in silence, neither of us knowing how to proceed.
"Hey you two!" Ariea calls out "Come back inside. Danta wants to speak with you." 
Instinctively I put my hand around my throat. 
"Don't worry, hes not going to strangle you again."

***************

I walk cautiously thorough the doorway to the living room, and hear the slow breathing of Danta in one of the chairs. I slowly make my way over to the couch and ease myself into it, making sure to face Danta's direction.
The room is silent save for the ticking clock.

"Kid I have to say I thought you were better than this. I understand why you were silent, but that doesn't make it right. You should have told me from the start. Maybe I would have reacted better. I should have dealt with it better. I'm sorry kid... Seth. 

I want you to understand something from here on out. If you have something troubling you, talk to me about it. Whether you think I'll be alright with it or not. I think, if you could forgive me for my actions, I too could forgive you for your silence. That being said, I will not forgive your actions. I cannot blame you for something you didn't do. You did not kill my sons. You killed a monster that had already taken them." 
I could feel tears reaching my eyes, the ones that had needed to fall for so long. Hearing that I wasn't the cause of their deaths, it was something I didn't realize I needed. I feel a warm hand rest on my knee.
"Would you forgive me?" Danta asks, and I nod.

"I think I understand why my son took a liking to you." He says as he helps me up and wraps his arms around me "You have a kind heart and a gentle soul."

***************

As we step out into the cool night air, I take a deep breath knowing I might not have many more.
"Are you sure this is what you want to do?" Danta asks us again.
"Yeah, I can't just sit here and let more people die, knowing there's something I could have done.
"I suppose I understand that." Danta replies "Alright then... I'm gonna miss this place."
"With any luck we'll be back here." I say, though the sentiment is not lost on me.
"Yeah."

I hop into the back seat of the truck with Clair just as Danta starts it. 
"Ready to go back?" I ask Clair.
"Nope, you?" She replies.
"Nope."
"Then lets go."


© 2017 Eryn ♪


Author's Note

Eryn ♪
Sorry it's been so long since I posted the last chapter, I got stuck in a rut on how to progress it. Hopefully I can pick up the pace from here. Thanks to those who still read it.

Eryn

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

246 Views
Added on July 5, 2017
Last Updated on August 14, 2017


Author

Eryn ♪
Eryn ♪

Ontario, Canada



About
I am 21 with red hair and aqua eyes. I face life one picture, one word at a time. Some call me odd, I prefer eccentric. I have fought my demons and I have won. I am known to have ADD. I move forw.. more..

Writing
Battle Royal Battle Royal

A Story by Eryn ♪


Waking Waking

A Chapter by Eryn ♪