Chapter 1: The Clones

Chapter 1: The Clones

A Chapter by AchingAlexandra
"

Opening!!!!

"
     There I was. Alone, starved, unloved, and unique. Oh sure, you would assume being unique would be good. Too bad every person I encountered was just like the last.
     "Can you spare some money?" I was sure the look in my eye had to be desperate, because I was.
     They looked away from my eyes, "Um, no, I don't have any change.... Sorry." Then they'd always walk away, faster than they'd walked over. Predictability.
     One time, I had seen a child younger then me, nearly dead in the streets, everyone passed her by, warily looking at her.

     I walked over and crouched down, "Hello?"

     Her small head looked up at me, pain and fear in her eyes, "please, take them away!" she cried.
     "Take what away?" I asked, confused.
     "The people! Kill me!" she cried at me wildly. I swear, she was 9 years old at most.
     I looked her in the eye. "What's your name?" I inquired.
     "I don't have a name. I have no family."
     "Well, I'm Aronia. At least that's what I call myself. My family had named me Zelda," I looked at her with humour in my eyes. "I came from a nerdy family. They all liked the Legend of Zelda."
     For the first time, I saw her smile and giggle. She was a very pretty little girl.
     "So what you like me to call you?"
     "Umm....," she said. "I don't know."
     "How about... Karen? It's a pretty name, just like you are pretty."
     Her little face went red. "Okay," she whispered.

     Thinking about that memory from 3 years ago, I looked down at her, into her wide silver eyes and watched the wind blow her short brown hair into her face.
     "Karen, I think the day I met you was the best day of my life." Now that there were two of us, and I didn't feel as lonely.
     She looked up at me with the hope I started seeing in her eyes that day and said, "I know it was the best day of my life. Thank you for saving me."
     I grabbed her hand and started walking down the street. "So what would you like to eat today?"
     "Um, Dairy Queen?"
     "Sure," I said to her, laughing.
     Silently we walked along in the shadows, avoiding the clones which neither of us liked. All of a sudden I heard footsteps behind us in the shadows. I kept walking, but whispered to Karen, "Karen, can you here that?"
     She turned to me, surprised, but continued walking. "You mean the footsteps?" she whispered back.
     I nod. "I think a clone is following us. Turn around with me on the count of 3. 1.... 2.... 3!" We both whipped around, facing a very shocked person. They didn't have the pale as bone skin the clones had.
     "Who are you!?" I demanded.
     The man looked down at me, his dark green eyes looking straight into my deep blue ones. "I'm Labeeb, and you two young woman are?"
     I didn't respond. He had the most beautiful eyes I had ever seen. Karen cleared her throat. "I'm Karen, and I'm 13 years old. And this speechless dim-wade is my best friend Aronia. She's 17."
     Labeeb glanced at her as she spoke, which broke my trance. "Uh, yeah. How old are you, Labeeb?" I asked.
     The minute he turned his eyes back on me, I was caught again. In his deep voice he replied, "My body has been on this earth for 21 cycles around the sun."
     I looked at him, amazed by his sensual mouth, gorgeous green eyes, and shaggy black hair. His speech amazed me, he had some accent I didn't recognize. AN ACCENT! I haven't heard an accent since the clones took over.
     I should explain the clones.
     A long time ago, the government was working on brainwashing. When a scientist figured out how to make it succeed, they started using it on people. After a while, they realized that a side-effect was that everyone turned out to be exactly the same as the others. They didn't care, so they continued using it on everyone. More machines were made, and more people got sucked into the perfection of the clone life. Eventually, it became mandatory that you had it used on you. Only they don't call it brainwashing, to them it's called Implanting. I've only met 6 people total who haven't been caught by the Searchers, and been put through Implantation. Sounds like a plant, I know.
     "Oh, so you are only-" I heard more footsteps approaching. In a quiet whisper slightly more than a breath I said, "Keep walking, go into the shadow. Now!" They both did as I said.
     "HALT!" Cried out an annoyingly high female voice from behind me.
     I turned with the perfected clone look I had. "May I help you, Ma'am?"
     Her clone face turned as close to surprise as I've ever seen there faces look. "I thought I'd heard un-Implanted voices. Please come with me for inspection."
     "I'd rather she not go. I just met her," came the wonderfully accented voice from behind me. The Searcher looked afraid, so I turned and realized that Labeeb had a .45 caliber handgun.
     "Labeeb, put it down!" but already the Searcher was using the radio to report two un-Implanted people.
     "RUN!" I screamed to him and Karen.


© 2011 AchingAlexandra


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Nice story so far.........i was getting into it!

Posted 13 Years Ago



Honestly, a bit hard to read...Maybe it's because of the paragraphing....
Hey, but I love the story...

Interesting flow and story line using something went wrong with the clones...

Posted 13 Years Ago


hmm verrryy interesting! i like were this is heading

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

402 Views
3 Reviews
Added on August 9, 2010
Last Updated on February 26, 2011
Tags: The ending, beginning, pain, hate, loss.


Author

AchingAlexandra
AchingAlexandra

Canada



About
I'm a really nice person, but I have a lot of issues. I love writing, it helps ebb the regular pain I have. First name: Courtney Middle Name: Alexandra I'm purely myself. I don't change to fit.. more..

Writing