IF THIRST WAS WRITTEN ( A RUBA'IY)

IF THIRST WAS WRITTEN ( A RUBA'IY)

A Poem by Shabeeh Haider



     If thirst was written on my scroll, why did you make the seas?


    And if there was no shade for me, why did you plant the trees?


      And if the heart was made to burn, the soul to suffocate,


     Of what use is the summer's rain, of what use is the breeze?

© 2017 Shabeeh Haider


Author's Note

Shabeeh Haider
RUBAIYAT ( RUBA'IY, singular) is a four lined poetry very popular in Urdu, Arabic, Hindi and Persian languages.
It is made up of four lines with the first, second and fourth lines having to rhyme.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wonderfully written :) loved your use of expressions and language :) So lyrical :)
********************************************************************************************************************************



Posted 6 Years Ago


Yes, one often wonders the question WHY? Beautifully and 'heart-searchingly' written. Love the reference to the natural world, and relating it to ones own circumstance. Do you know the English saying, "Do not reason the question why, Ours is just to do and die." ? Yes but, you are right, there is so much to ask why about. However, at least we can try to enjoy our lives while we still have them! (And writing lovely poignant RUBAYAT poems.)

Posted 6 Years Ago


Shabeeh Haider

6 Years Ago

Yes indeed, ours is to do and die.
Thank you for such an insightful review
Usually I'm not attentive enuf to appreciate your love of various unusual forms (new to most USA readers, that is) . . . but I enjoy this form & I love the way you've used it here. You've done a great job with your searching questions, which is one of your overall strengths in writing. I love the originality of your thoughts & word crafting. As always, I love your use of nature comparisons.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Shabeeh Haider

6 Years Ago

Thank you barley girl, for your very kind words
Gorgeous form, I really love it and the poem itself is a soul searching, universal beauty of a piece :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


Shabeeh Haider

7 Years Ago

Poppy, thank you for your kind review
Nice one, thank you for the explanation, There are so many styles of writing and that makes each write more interesting. Valentine

Posted 7 Years Ago


Shabeeh Haider

7 Years Ago

Agreed, it is always interesting to read new forms of writing.
Thank you for stopping by.
Beautifully haunting questions which makes us wonder....

Posted 7 Years Ago


Shabeeh Haider

7 Years Ago

Yes, Ria, haunting questions but sometimes without answers.
Oooo... very deep I love your imagery!
And the mention of Creation .. and the many questions we are left with by him ..

Posted 7 Years Ago


Shabeeh Haider

7 Years Ago

We have everything but at times we still feel empty inside....so nothing is really ours.
Than.. read more
Farmgirl

7 Years Ago

Thanks for sharing. .. so true!
Rubaiyat s very interesting !! Reaallyy nice to read!! Enjoyed it a lot

Posted 7 Years Ago


Shabeeh Haider

7 Years Ago

Aishwarya, so nice to have you here. Thank you for your kind words.
I will visit your page so.. read more
Truly beautiful. Sir, your words are very powerful and hold a great degree of emotion. It was an honour reading this form of poetry in english.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Shabeeh Haider

7 Years Ago

Saud, I am glad that you enjoyed it.
Tis truly wonderful to learn form alongside such beautiful words.. thank you for both. Thank you for teaching so gently whilst adding such gracious viewpoints on and of the natural word, Shabeeh .

(As of the '.. moving finger writes and then.. ? )

Posted 7 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Shabeeh Haider

7 Years Ago

Thank you for such precious words, emmajoy

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

802 Views
22 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 9, 2017
Last Updated on February 12, 2017
Tags: love, poetry, shabeeh

Author

Shabeeh Haider
Shabeeh Haider

Makkah



About
Writing poetry is my passion. I have been writing since I was 10 years of age. I love the poets of the Romantic Era and am very particular about rhyme, meter and balance. I have also written many Gha.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Look Around Look Around

A Chapter by Dr. YumnaKay


The Preacher Man The Preacher Man

A Poem by Gee