Prologue: A Storm Is Brewing

Prologue: A Storm Is Brewing

A Chapter by Shadow
"

An angered witch begins to plot her revenge against those who she believes wronged her.

"

CRASH

“I can’t believe that hard-assed, pompous old hack!” screeches the black and grey haired woman, breaking one the smaller crystal orbs that cluttered the dim room. “He dares to challenge me!”

Her anger is evident in her visible eye, glaring murderously at anything that moved - even her loyal monkeys. The normally chatty creatures were hiding in the dark corners of the room, with their wings folded in close, standing stock-still and silent, lest they suffer the same fate of the small orb.

“He questions my powers, then tries to denounce my abilities. In front of my own subjects, no less!”she rages. Her fists clenched, she murmurs to herself. “That stupid son of a...”

She stalks over to the tall bookcase, her black and green dress glittering in the dim yellow light cast by a few of the orbs that bob listlessly in the air. She angrily draws a book down and approaches the simple wooden podium in the center of the room. She slams the book down so hard that it bounces back up, but settles down quickly and quietly into place. As if it, too, was afraid of the woman’s temper.

It is a simple book, bound in dark brown leather and clasped shut with a shining silver buckle. On its front cover is a delicately designed compass, with each direction colored in its appropriate color: north in purple, east in blue, south in red, and west in yellow. Each of the letters, N, E, S, and W, had been designed beautifully, with delicate curls and illustrations around them. In the center lies an alluring emerald, which seems to emanate its own light. Between the covers lay a great number of old yellowed and tattered pages, attesting to the book’s great age.

The woman quickly flips through the pages, mumbling quietly to herself, a small scowl upon her lips. “That pompous windbag claims that I’m a hack, huh. Well, I’ll show the lot of them. Oh, yes, I’ll show them who the powerless one here is….” She stops at a page in her book, and a small, evil smile graces her verdant face. “Yes,” she whispers,” They will see…” She then begins to chant in a dark tone.

“Lasi ju tempesto subiri sur ju tero kaj obskurigi ju cxielo al nigro. Lasi ju pluvi albati ju polva tero kaj aliigi ju sxlimo, kaj detrui ju verdo vivo ke 'stas kreskanta sur gxi. Lasi ju vento tvisto kaj rivoluo, kaj dissxiri ju tero kaj ke kiu 'stas sur gxi. Lasi cxio vidi ju forto da ju tenebra tempesto, ju povumo da ju feroca pluvi, kaj ju furiozo da ju malbonauxgura ciklono..."

As she trails off, she hears the beginnings of the powerful storm she conjured up. Running to the large windowed doors, she thrusts them open and stares up at the sky. Then she begins to cackle maniacally.

“Yes, that poor excuse of a wizard will learn, along with all of his pathetic followers. They will learn not to mess with the Witch of the West!”

 

 



© 2012 Shadow


Author's Note

Shadow
All opinions are appreciated, as long as they're polite.

I'm probably going to change the "magic spell" part. Any ideas on how I should do it are appreciated. Also, if you can come up with a better chapter/book title, let me know.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

277 Views
Added on October 20, 2012
Last Updated on October 20, 2012
Tags: wizard, oz, dorothy, scarecrow, tin man, lion, dallas, kansas, witch, wicked, fantasy, magic, north, east, south, west, cowardly, emerald, city, blue, red, yellow, purple, green, ruby, silver, good


Author

Shadow
Shadow

San Tan Valley, AZ



About
I'm a video editor for a small company that does primarily business videos. I enjoy writing in my spare time. more..

Writing