Part 2: A New Friend

Part 2: A New Friend

A Chapter by Shadowkai

Nathan and Sarah were nearing the city. Nathan had Sarah cover her eyes with blindfold and climb onto his back, this was to keep her from seeing things she did not need to see.

           He walked down the abandoned avenues, all he could see was the dead and decaying bodies, rotting cars, and ransacked buildings. Scavengers had cleared out all of the stores already making it hard to find any supplies, but that didn’t stop Nathan from checking every last store till he did. As he approached a nearby pharmacy he set Sarah down outside.

She knew the drill stay still and scream if she hears something. It didn’t feel right to leave outside, but it was safer then bringing her inside. Nathan peeked through the broken door, glass covering the floor. He stepped carefully keeping quiet as he checked every aisle.

He stopped in his tracks when he heard shuffling in the next aisle. He slowly rounded the corner machete in hand, as he peeked over he saw a dog scavenging for food. As he let out a sigh of relief, he turned to tell Sarah the coast was clear, but before he could a walker grabbed him and threw him into the shelves sending them toppling over like dominoes.

The force of the impact caused Nathan to let go of his machete sending it flying away. The soulless corpse grabbed him again pinning him to the ground. He pushed at the walker but he couldn’t get it off. Slowly but surely his arms were getting weaker, the fatigue was setting in.

Just as the walker went to lurch its head forward and take a bit out of Nathan the stray dog pounced and knocked the undead corpse off of him. As the dog fended off the walker, Nathan ran to grab his machete, the dog jumped out of his way as he swung and took the walkers head.

Nathan leaned against the wall as Sarah ran into to see if he was okay.

“What happened!?” she screamed.

“Shhhhh… I’m fine, thanks to this little guy.” He rubbed the dogs head.

“Awww, it’s a puppy!” She shouted. This was the first time in a long time she got to be truly happy about something.

“Why isn’t it like the bad people big brother?” She looked up at him with her big green eyes.

“I don’t know, maybe our guardian angel sent him.” He smiled.

They laughed as the dog played around, he had run off for a second and came back with a can of soup.

“Who’s a good boy?” Nathan grabbed a toy that was lying around and threw it.

The dog chased after it, they continued to fool around for a little longer then set back off with their new friend. Once and awhile he would run off and return with food or bandages and when they saw walkers or nightmares he would back up and stay behind them.

It was weird that animals remained immune it was as if god had sent this plague to punish humanity. Maybe he did, but that was the least of their worries.



© 2015 Shadowkai


Author's Note

Shadowkai
Please tell me what you think, i plan to make several parts hopefully longer then this. For the next part, will be the in the perspective of another character, maybe a different group of survivors, let me know what you think.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I liked the story a lot. You give enough to make each part interesting. I like how you use description and reason in the story. I hope to read more. I like the story of the future possibilities. Sickness could destroy our world. Thank you for sharing the excellent chapter.
Coyote

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I liked the story a lot. You give enough to make each part interesting. I like how you use description and reason in the story. I hope to read more. I like the story of the future possibilities. Sickness could destroy our world. Thank you for sharing the excellent chapter.
Coyote

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The dog part was heartwarming, especially in this grim setting. It's great they have a companion now.

One small suggestion:
"Nathan had Sarah cover her eyes with blindfold ..."
Add an "a" between "with" and "blindfold".

Switching between characters can be confusing for the readers and the writer alike, but if done properly it can really improve the story and make it special. If you decide to do that, be sure not to create too many different perspectives, and to come back to the others regularly. You could let some of them meet later to tie the stories together. They don't have travel together for the rest of the story, but if they don't see or interact with the other protagonists they will feel like separate stories in he same world. Unless you have a good reason for that, you probably want to make it feel like one complete story.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Shadowkai

8 Years Ago

Should i continue this story, it does not seem to be to popular
Lavorther

8 Years Ago

Well, i compared to your other book it does have less views. But it is only 2 days old. I think that.. read more
Shadowkai

8 Years Ago

Okay thank you for the advice :) i've been posting a lot of poems lately so i think im gonna keep th.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

326 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 16, 2015
Last Updated on October 17, 2015
Tags: Zombies, Survival, Apocolypse


Author

Shadowkai
Shadowkai

Rochester, NY



About
I am a 16 year old writer, i will be posting one to two poems each day. On every Monday i will post additions to "The End of Humanity" and every Wednesday i will add to "Bane of The Darkness". Fridays.. more..

Writing
All Alone All Alone

A Poem by Shadowkai



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


All Alone All Alone

A Poem by Shadowkai