Burnout

Burnout

A Story by Shaly Laevulins

It takes a while to realize it's happened. Looking back it took over four years for me to notice it. It hides in the shadows, black like the ashes of a fire long since dead. It’s easy to miss when you’re not looking for it. You expect it later, maybe 10 years after you start, maybe longer depending on how your early years go. It’s like a genjutsu, you need to recognize it before you can break it. The problem is just because you recognize it doesn’t mean you’re trained to deal with it. It means you have to stop and focus, in a battle it means your guard is down. It can mean death if you’re not careful. It can come in an instant, without a sound. On our side, we must hide it, like the code of Anbu, and leave no trace. We close rank so no one knows, sometimes even comrades don’t know how much you’re actually hiding. Even when it’s gone, the fear remains. Fear of it coming back, happening again. Like tsukuyomi, living it over and over. It changes you forever. From living a life with no second guessing, to looking over your shoulder waiting for something to hit. From a naive genin to a veteran jonin, haunted by the duty of the symbol and station we choose to uphold. We deal with it because it’s our job and it’s expected of us. We remain in the circle together, we have no choice. It’s important to us.

© 2021 Shaly Laevulins


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews



... This is an interesting story my friend .. are you some kind of kenshi/gakusei or into role play by any chance ?

Posted 2 Years Ago


Shaly Laevulins

2 Years Ago

I am not. Just an anime fan

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

81 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on May 18, 2021
Last Updated on May 18, 2021

Author

Shaly Laevulins
Shaly Laevulins

About
I'm a lover of reading, writing, and most things strange. more..

Writing