Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Shane Williams

Part 3: The Damnation

 

Chapter 1

 

Several hours have passed since the civil war started; many lives were lost on that day. Now the fighting has ceased at last, only the dead are all that remains. Inside the royal palace however the fighting continues as the royal halls echo with the sound of clashing swords 1§and screaming of falling soldiers. Matius himself now questions what he should be doing in his life, and today he finally makes a choice. One which could give him peace from the nightmares, or it could very well destroy him.

 

“You want to quit?” The demon demands treading the wet floor intimidated the moon rising in the sky, “For what reason?”. Matius pauses to himself as a crowd gathers behind him at night. “My quitting has nothing to do with you, it’s my choice and I wish that you respect it” Matius replies defensively turning away. Seeing his ignorance the demon struggles to control his anger. “Look I know this civil war has affected a lot of people, but this isn’t the time to be walking away! We are low on soldiers right now and the last thing we need is men walking out!” the demon reasons hoping to a change of heart. Matius glances back at him, a cold expression is drawn everyone watching in interest. “It’s not my problem...” he utters continuing to walk away. “Hey I’m talking to you!”, the demon blasts stepping forward, “You get good pay, you get respected, why quit?”  Matius rolls his eyes as he continues walking. “Hey I’m talking to...”
  Just as he says this Matius instantly punches the demon, who slams into a trash bin scattered with rubbish. Several people watch with bemused expressions, Matius standing amongst them, “I watched my friends die in that civil war and I’ve watched my own men die in battle far too many times! I will not do so again!!” The clad demon raises his dirtied head looking at Matius in a daze. Satisfied Matius walks away from the scene hastily with people watching him. The demon looks at Matius faintly before falling to the wet floor. Matius walks through the alleys as the sky rain falls from above.

 

Back at home his mother is cleaning, rubbing away at the plates, looking outside to the pouring rain as night sets in when she hears loud knocking at the door. She pauses, looking towards the door before placing the plates in the sink. She opens the wooden door revealing Matius, outside in the rain, wearing a dark coat in protection. She takes several steps back allowing Matius to walk inside removing his coat. “Where have you been?” She asks turning towards Matius, “I’ve been worried sick! Are you alright? You didn’t get attacked out there did you?”. “I’m alright, there was something that I needed to do”, he explains sitting down into the sofa frustrated. His mother looks at him curiously, “There’s something you’re not telling me isn’t there?” Matius falls silent then looks back at his mother, “We need to talk”.
  “I’ve quit my job”, he utters unwillingly not looking into his mother’s eyes. She looks at him full of confusion. “But why? You was enjoying it wasn’t you?” Matius lowers his head in frustration, “I was at a time but things have changed. The men are not the same as they used to be, they are violent”. “Please Matius think what you are saying”, she replies, “These are people you have lived with”. Matius suddenly bursts into anger, “I have slain young people by my side. I have seen my men in battle and when I see in their eyes I see nothing but madness. They are mindless! Hungry for battle! I quit because I didn’t want to lose myself”. His mother looks up at Matius, “What about your father? What would he say?”. “He would understand my actions”, Matius remarks. “In his time things were different, people were united, and there wasn’t such travesties as what happened today”. “I know you miss him”, she replies, “I know you’re wishing he was here right now, helping you make the right choice”. “I’ve already made my choice”, Matius replies sternly, “and I don’t have any regrets”. His mother holds onto Matius’s hand in comfort, looking into his eyes. “I worry about you, you know? You are my only child in this world and I couldn’t bear to lose you”.
  “And you won’t “, Matius replies reassuringly faintly smiling, “After things have settled we can start over. Have a new life. Away from duties of army work, maybe even become a trader. Going out into the wildlands and beyond” looks up with a weak smile. She looks to him giving a smile, “Whatever you want Matius, whatever you want. I just don’t want you to have disappointment in your life” Matius quickly places him arm around her in comfort, looking to her. “And I won’t. I assure you after all this things will be different. trust me everything is going to be fine”.

 

As hell plunges into night the royal palace finally falls silent. Many bodies of fallen soldiers lie in the corridors, the blood staining the beautiful carpets of the royal palace. In one corridor there is silence, not even a single body ruins the floor. The silence is then interrupted as the sound of hurried footsteps grow nearer, the flames flicker as the shadows dance across the corridor. Then the footsteps suddenly fall silent as out of the junction an eye covered with bandaging goes into the light, shyly he twists his head then back down the corridor. With the coast clear they make their way into the light running through another corridor. Their armour shakes in vibration. The masked figure suddenly stops in his tracks once more raising his arm. All the following men stop in silence, one of them leans towards the figure, the light illuminating his face. “Do you think he’s alive?” he whispers curiously. The masked figure’s eye turns muttering; “I have no idea, I just hope we’re in time” One of the hooded figures turns back towards the soldiers beckoning them forward.  “Do you believe this civil war was Dervish’s doing?”, one of the hooded soldiers questions. “There are more important matters besides the civil war”, the masked figure snaps, “I’m more concerned about Sousan, this war was nothing but a diversion”. He looks down the long lit hall before moving from his hiding place.
  Facing the double doors, with gestures from his hands his men hurry into position in the long lit hall. With nods the masked figure removes his hood, revealing himself as Ivan. He walks up the steps followed by two men. He then reaches the entrance of the throne room noticing several dead men wearing both garments of hell’s elite and black garments wearing the colours and symbols of the cult. “These are Dervish’s men, how could they have gotten this far?”, one of Ivan’s men questions watching as Ivan rises up in anger. “Who knows, lets get inside!”

He unveils his arms, placing them against both double doors, steadily he opens the doors to the throne room shrouded in shadow. Ivan walks ahead each time passing through light. Several men follow him into the throne room. Up ahead all the windows have been smashed from the inside with the dark clouds of outside. Areas of the throne room blackened by something, on the right books have fallen to the floor, several tattered and torn. “What the hell happened here?”, one of Ivan’s men utters looking in shock. “Dervish”, Ivan explains, “This power is his, I knew he was always reckless with his power but I never imagined he’d go to such lengths”. Several soldiers look up to the ceiling noticing more scorched marks looking in anxiety.
  Ivan walks ahead, his feet treating into the pools of water scattered around the room. Ivan scans the floor before noticing a sword left on the floor. Curiously he approaches it kneeling down with his normal hand gripping the hilt. He brings it to his face curiously, as a soldier approaches him his one eye fixed upon the blade. “Oh no…”, Ivan utters as a soldier walks behind him. “Who’s sword is that?” one of the men questions looking at it. “Its Sousan’s”, Ivan replies worryingly, noticing the brightness of the sword blade. “We’re too late”, he utters looking outside of the broken glass into the dark clouds.

 

The next day at Matius’s home he remains asleep as sunlight shines in his room putting everything into light. He rolls over uncomfortably in irritation to morning light. Just as he shuts his eyes he hears shouting coming from downstairs. Instantly he opens his eyes, rising into a sitting position focusing on the noise. “He’s done nothing wrong, leave him be!” He immediately recognises his mother’s voice for the croaky throat. He then hears the smashing of plates as his mother shouts out in disgust. “He has broken the law and must come with us” he then hears from a soldier in command. Hearing this he springs into action getting off his bed, frantically getting dressed every now and again looking towards the door in panic. He hears the noises louder coming up the stairs, “please leave him be! He’s innocent”. He hears this as the door bursts open, two men in armour representing the army walk into the room blocking his exit.

  His mother stands behind them in quiet frustration. “Matius please come with us quietly”, one of them utters, as Matius stands defensively, “we don’t want to make this anymore difficult than it already is”. Matius looks at both in anger, adrenaline high. “What am I to be charged with?” He asks in demand, anger in his voice. Both men pause before looking at Matius, “You are charged for Murder”. As they say this they move purposely towards him. Matius tries to burst past them but both grip hold onto him. “You’re coming with us if you like it or not”. Matius wrestles against their hold in desperation, looking up to the soldiers.  “Look I’ve done nothing wrong!” Matius exclaims, “You have the wrong man!”, one of the guards  moves closer to Matius looking directly at his face. “we shall see how the crowd feels” The soldier forces Matius to follow pulling him down the stairs roughly. The other guard attends to Matius’s mother who gets handcuffed, catching Matius off guard. “You will also be coming along with us” the guard mentions, holding her tightly. “She’s done nothing wrong!”, Matius screams out in anger, “Leave her alone!!” They are lead down stairs with one of the guards who opens the front door,

 

Matius is first led outside into a crowd of people shouting at him cursing him, insulting Osaris. One of the crowd throws something at Matius, hitting his shoulder. Followed closely behind is his mother, her hands also bound. One of the soldiers talks to the heated crowd. “This man has been arrested for murder, his punishment will be of death by the winds” The crowd suddenly fall silent in shock. Matius’s mother looks up in shock. “This is outrageous!”  She shouts out, “under who’s orders is this?!”  One of the guards turns towards he in annoyance, “That is none of your concern of yours, this is of royalty” Everyone suddenly falls silent, a lot of murmurs start circling around the gathering of people. “If everyone could please move out of the way?!”The men lead Matius and his mother out of the crowd. A cloaked figure turns around, watching them go down the alley. Matius walks strangely before one of the soldiers knocks him out as he falls to the ground, hearing the last scream of her mother. Everything falls black. 



© 2013 Shane Williams


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

A very well written chapter. I like the discussion in the chapter. I like the situation at the end. Left a open door for the next chapter. I like the character building in the chapter. Thank you for the excellent chapter.
Coyote

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

213 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 1, 2013
Last Updated on October 15, 2013
Tags: Dark, Good, Evil, Light, Heaven, Hell, Demon, Angel, Power, War, Throne, King, Warrior


Author

Shane Williams
Shane Williams

Wolverhampton, West Midlands, United Kingdom



About
Dervish photoshop by ~Shane000 on deviantART I am a Illustrator, Photography, can write poems and I'm currently writting a fantasy/action/adventure story which had been influenced my lord of the ri.. more..

Writing
Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Shane Williams