Alec

Alec

A Story by Shannz
"

Scarlett is isolated, darkened and pained by the loss of her mother and has been within a boarding school for most of her life. It's her sixteenth birthday and she gets a darling surprise.

"

I was inducted into the dark building at the age of six. A small, frail little girl with long blonde curls and wide, fearful eyes that held their own horrified past. I remember being so traumatized and scared that I refused to let go of my warden when she tucked me into bed each night. I saw awake, looking at the shadows on the walls that moved and danced like there was vibrant music playing in the dormitory. I sat watching them as the other girls lay sleeping in their beds, dreaming peacefully of the sweet lives they lived outside and the pink bows and dolls they held in their pulp little arms. I only had my scruffy bear in my arms, one eye gone and his thread smile had been burnt off recently. I would cry bitterly when I thought of that. Memories of the blazing house that had taken her away, that claimed her pretty smiles and those beautiful eyes so much like mine, plagued me every night. It was the fire that had killed my mother.

            As the years passed, my fears made me hard and firm against the world. While all the other boys and girls left for holiday and brought back stories of carriage rides and new baby brothers, I had stories of valiant heroes who dwelled in our freezing library. Warden saw pity on me, she knew where I came from and she knew better than to tell anyone either. We hardly spoke; or rather I hardly talked to her. I didn’t speak to the others mostly and as a young girl I didn’t have a single friend. I’d resolved to be alone and was condemned to my fate. Nobody could make me smile or laugh and nobody cared enough to try. So now, this very day called my sixteenth birthday, I lay on the covers of my blank white bed staring up at the ceiling. I had my own room, ever since we all moved up to private quarters things had been even more isolated for me. My window let in the chill of the winter air and sent the pale blue curtains flying around like they would take off any minute.

            My eyes were dazing and just beginning to drop closed when there was a knock at my door. I sat up and walked over to it, wondering just who could possibly want to see me. The peephole showed no one and my heart sunk for a second. I looked down and saw a small black envelope sticking through the bottom of the door. I picked it up and saw my name written in beautiful hand across the front. I slowly opened the envelope and read:

Scarlett,

Do not ask how I know your name, for it is forever in my head and consuming my thoughts. I wish you a Happy Birthday and I hope all will not be dull for you. Take this gift as a token of our hopeful friendship; you are not as alone as you may think. Meet me in ten minutes at the back of the library, and do trust me.

A Friend.

            I read the note twice before I could believe it was true. I felt the envelope and out came and beautiful necklace. It was a simple silver spike with two abstract beads on either side strung on black cord and snapped with a silver clasp. Its simplicity was so beautiful it was hard to believe. Clearly this person knew my style well. I contemplated heading to the library or staying put in case it was a prank. But my curiosity got the better of me. I strapped up my boots and tossed a black and white striped scarf around my neck before locking my door and heading out to the library. The halls were empty since most kids left for the holidays. Teachers were gone too, only Warden and a few maids stayed behind to care for the school. I passed by some women scrubbing the entrance hall and saw them glance at my clothes. I bowed my head from their gaze and continued walking. The necklace was safely tucked into my pocket and I was ready to give it back to whoever sent it.

            The books were on their shelves and soft light came from the chandelier of the cosy library. Everything looked peaceful and just right in this place. It’s why I spent so many hours reading and writing when I could. The desks were empty and starting to collect dust. I spotted a piece of parchment on one of the tables. I opened it and read another note:

You may find your fate at the third row.

            With that I crumpled the note in my hand and walked over to the third row of shelves. It was completely empty as I walked down the row. There was nobody there. My temper rose and I turned to leave when I ploughed into something warm and strong. I shook my pulsing head and looked up and into the eyes of a handsome boy. He had pitch black hair cut to fringe his ivory face, high cheekbones and a very attractive and expressive mouth. His eyes looked at me like two blue stars; twinkling and sparkling brilliantly.

“Disappointed at your find?” he asked.

I was stunned. “You sent this?” I asked, taking out the necklace and holding it to his face. He nodded and smiled shyly.

“But, why?” I asked. I had seen this boy around the school during the holidays when nobody was there. He was an orphan like me, but during the semester he had a few friends he stuck with. His name was Alec Stone. He wasn’t much of a loner like me, but he surely stood out in the same ways.

“It’s a birthday present,” Alec replied. “I’ve seen you be so alone all these years, Scarlett. I had to make you see that you are not alone and someone cares.”

My heart melted at that. “Oh, well thank you,” I mumbled. “I didn’t know anyone knew who I was at all.”

“That’s not true,” said Alec. His warmth on my hand felt amazing and his grip tightened. He grabbed my shoulders and turned me around, reaching for the necklace. He clasped it around my neck and I faced him once more.

“Someone as beautiful as you should deserve to know that,” he said suddenly. I looked at him curiously and he blushed. That’s when I understood. This handsome, sweet and innocent boy had fallen for me. It was written as plain as day in those beautiful eyes and I was fool not to see it before. At first, I couldn’t believe what I was concluding, but then Alec stepped toward me.

“You’re beautiful, Scarlett,” he whispered.

            For the first in a long time, I smiled. I stretched to my toes and let him meet my lips. It was warm and passionate, like he’d been saving this for me all this time. I felt his arms circle my torso and I pulled him closer. The feeling of being wanted was just too amazing to walk away from. Why was I kissing him, I didn’t know. But I did know that it felt perfect, so right and magical to be with him. When we broke apart I looked at him and I knew it instantly. I am not alone.

 

© 2013 Shannz


Author's Note

Shannz
This is the first in a line of short romances I've written so please take this one lightly. Thank you.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

99 Views
Added on August 16, 2013
Last Updated on August 16, 2013
Tags: love, romance, mourning, birthday

Author

Shannz
Shannz

Chaguanas, Trinidad and Tobago



About
Hi! I'm Shannz and I guess I'm pretty normal. I've been writing most of my life but never thought of promoting my work till now. Hope you readers like my work and I love to hear from you too. Well tha.. more..