The Journey Of Ryze: story 1

The Journey Of Ryze: story 1

A Story by Shay

I’m running. I’ve been running. Most likely for about four hours now. I’m dripping wet head to toe. It’s raining and soon I will have to stop somewhere to rest, for its getting way too dark out to see. My name is Ryze. Ryze Smith. I’m a girl from New Orleans. I have blue eyes that actually change to a different shade of blue everyday. My hair is blond with orange streaks. I’m an orphan. Fourteen years old, running away from a family people say are now mine. I hate them. Their names are Ruth Gunner and Mark Gunner. They are one of the richest people in the world. They have homes and places all over the world that they own with all their money. Instead of hiring a maid they hired me. Their so called daughter. Ruth did not bring me here to this planet. Mark and Ruth beat me whenever they feel like it. I would fight back but they threatened to kill me. I bet they would anyway if I wasn’t such a help. Whenever they leave me alone to clean I not only clean but learn as much as I can. I don’t get the chance to go to school. Whenever people ask I must say that I have a mental learning problem. It’s so embarrassing especially when I know the answers. Well enough about that for now. I’ll get to the details later. Right now I have to find a place to stay for the night. I came along an alley. I sit against the wall and drift asleep. I woke up in the middle of the night. Their is one streetlight. Across the alley were a man and boy. The streetlight shone and I could see perfectly. The man had a gun in his arms. He was looking in my direction. The boy looked around my age. He looks so peaceful sleeping. The man spoke and I turned my head at him again.

“Hi, you lost?” he asked.

“Hi, I’m always lost.” I said.

“Well now you better get where you’re headed then. You never know what you might find.” He said loading the gun.

The boy waked up.

“Father what are you doing?” the boy asked startled.

The man pointed the gun at me. The boy looked over. Just as the man’s finger was on the trigger I closed my eyes. I heard his son yell.

“No!” said the boy.

“Quiet Howie.” Said the man.

“No, im not going to shut up and im not going to let you shoot her.” Howie shouted.

He got up and moved in front of me. I was too stunned and confused to speak.

“What the hell are you doing? Get away from her.” The man shouted.

“Why do you want to shoot her?” asked Howie.

“Howie, please. Do you want to be taken away? She already knows we have a gun. She could tell the police. Besides so you even know who she is?” said the man.

“No I don’t want to be taken away but I don’t want her to be shot either. You know who she is?” Howie asked.

“Yeah she is that orphan that Mr. Gunner and Mrs. Gunner adopted. That rich couple.” Said the man smirking.

“We are not.” Said Howie.

“Yes we are.” Said the man.

“No we are not going to use her as ransom and we are not going to commit murder.” Howie said as he moved forward and grabbed the gun from his father.

Before the man could react Howie turned and took my hand.

“Hurry. Follow me.” He said.

I let him pull me. We started running. After a while we came to a park. Across the park was a gun repair shop. We decided to walk in.

“Please may you fix our gun? Sorry it’s so late. We got lost and couldn’t find it. Our father is in the truck sleeping. He is so tired from the ride. We will come back a different day.” Howie said.

“Okay no problem sir. Be safe tonight.” Replied the clerk.

“Yes thank you. You too. Good night.” He said.

“You’re very welcome. Good night.” Said the clerk.

We left, leaving the gun on the counter. We walked back to the park and sat on a bench which was wet from the rain. At least it wasn’t raining anymore. I looked at the ground in front of me. I looked up once and he was right beside me, looking at me. I looked away.

“Uh, sorry about tonight. If you need to go somewhere it’s alright.” Howie said.

“It’s okay. I don’t know where to go. I mean I sure am not going back to where I started. I just. It’s complicated and you wouldn’t want to hear it anyway. What about you?” I asked.

“How about a story for a story? You first. I’m Howie Rain. That was my father, Mr. Rain. Rob Rain.” he said.

“I thought I was first.” I said.

We laughed.

“Oh you are. Go ahead.” Howie said.

“Okay. I am the Gunner’s orphan girl. I ran away. They beat me and make me do all the chores. They don’t even let me go to school or get a tutor. I am not aloud to leave the house. All the things I know are from the stuff lying around the house that I found while cleaning. I can not let them find me.” I said.

“Oh. I am sorry. I didn’t know it was like that. What happened to your parents?” Howie asked.

“It’s okay. I’m trying to figure that out and where in the world I belong.” I answered.

“Oh.” He said.

“It’s nice having someone to talk to. What happened to you? Why did you help me? Why did you leave your dad?” I asked.

“Cool. I lost my mom and a house in a fire. Me and him have been on the street since. It has been 3 years now. We are so broke and the money we do get he spends it on beer. He found that gun somewhere in the alley the first few weeks. I do not know why he keeps it. It just gets us into trouble. I left my dad because you’re the first person I have been able to see and talk to since that fire. People want to send me to an orphanage. I don’t want to go there. I don’t want to be with him either though. Maybe we could… never mind.” Howie said.

“What? Ask. You can tell me.” I said.

“I was just wondering if we could run together. Then we don’t have to be alone.” He offered.

I smiled.

“Yeah I would like that.” I said.

“Cool and thanks.” He said.

“No problem.” I said.

We sat there in silence for a little bit. My guess was almost seven minutes. Then I saw it. I shot right up and he grabbed my hand.

“We have to go.” I said.

“Why?” he asked.

“See that car behind me? It is a guy Mr. Gunner works with. I noticed it from a party he held a few days ago. His name is Peter Gozdi.” I said.

“Oh. Well, he is coming over here toward us. Pretend that we are friends and hanging out.” He suggested.

“We need something better. Act as my boyfriend and we are on a romantic date in the dark enjoying the night or something.” I said.

“Okay shhh.” Said Howie softly.

He bowed his head politely.

“How are you, sir?” he asked.

I turned around. The man was right behind me.

“I am good. How are you both? Ryze, I wouldn’t expect you out at this time. I hardly ever see you. The only time is in that mansion you all call home. Very good though. Hope you are still enjoying your stay.” Said Mr. Gozdi.

“Yes I am very much. This is Howie Rain.” I said.

Howie put his arm around my waist and pulled me close to his chest gently. I hugged him. I really did not want to let go so I didn’t. It is the first time I have felt safe in forever.

“Oh.” Mr. Gozdi said.

“Yeah he is my boyfriend. We have been dating for awhile now. In fact we are on a date right now enjoying the night. His idea too and very romantic.” I said.

“Yep and I would not want any other girl. Never.” Said Howie while looking into each other’s eyes.

“No one else.” He said.

“Well I will leave you two alone then. Have fun.” Mr. Gozdi said and left.

Howie and I were silent for at least three minutes.

“Thank you.” I said.

“I had fun. No worries. I was actually wondering if you wanted to be my girlfriend. I loved the way you hugged me. The feeling I had when you held me it was amazing.” Howie said.

“Exactly I felt the same way. Yes I will.” I said.

“Let’s go get something to eat. I am buying.” I said.

“You have money?” he asked.

“Yeah a lot. I took it from the Gunner’s my rich adoptive family. I even snuck a key if I ever need to get more.” I said.

“Sneaky and hot. I like it.” Howie said.

“Glad.” I said.

We both grabbed each other’s hands at the same time. We finally found a diner. We waited for it to become open. We talked until it did. When it did open we walked in and ordered one pancake, five pieces of bacon, and chocolate milk each.

When we were done we left and just walked wherever our feet led us to. But wherever we end up at least we know we have each other and whatever that road brings.

© 2011 Shay


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

229 Views
Added on November 22, 2010
Last Updated on February 5, 2011

Author

Shay
Shay

Writing
untitled untitled

A Stage Play by Shay


CHAPTER ONE CHAPTER ONE

A Chapter by Shay


CHAPTER TWO CHAPTER TWO

A Chapter by Shay