Memories

Memories

A Story by SheActsLikeSummer
"

A collection of memories from my childhood that I'm still living in.

"
I'm packing. All my stuff sorted, piled into the useless, the crap, and the stuff I want to keep. It's almost done - thank god - but it took a while. I kept getting side tracked, stumbling upon things I had long forgotten. Old notebooks filled with scribbles that I thought were excellent at the time. Well, they're terrible, but still fun to read. And maybe in a few years I'll look back to what I've written now and discover that I've improved even more. That would be cool, improving I mean.
I also came across an old photo album. Just a small one, a picture per page. It's blue, one my grand parents put together after we visited them down in South Carolina. The most memorable thing was my cousin Connor (male by the way) and I dressing up in our mom's bras and underwear dancing around, clutching our paper stuffed b***s. Ahh, the good times. Another thing I remember was going to this large diving structure, one of which I was too afraid to jump from at first. But then I did. Not again though. I don't see what's so great about jumping off a two story wooden structure into water. Like, seriously?
What else did I stumble across? A picture of me when I first rode a bike. I was ten at the time, a bit old I guess to just be learning. You see, I'm stubborn. Never wanting to do things and then having a blast when I do. Just the way I am I guess. So while I was visiting my parents down in South Carolina my grandfather taught me how to get on a bike and go for it. I was pretty good if I do say so myself.
I also came across my old portfolio from Mongolia. A drawing of a hut as the cover. Inside I found tons of old work, almost everyone of which I pulled out of it's tiny plastic compartment and read, lying on my back on the hardwood floor. I wrote this story or recollection more like about the time when our class went on an over night field trip to a ger (the 'er' pronounced 'air') camp. Also know as a yurt camp, you might be more familiar with the latter. Now that piece, that piece was actually pretty well written for a 4th grader. Pretty well written for a 6th grader even.
My 5th grade portfolio thing was found buried deep under my bed. Photos of our class split into two groups, each taking out a chickens guts. Why? you ask. Because we felt like it. No, that's not the reason. We were getting ready to mummify it. Yes, you read that right, we mummified a chicken. And if I remember correctly, the chicken our group made was named Touten (sp?) Bob. Name credit goes to: me.
In my chest of draws above the one that holds my pajamas (and boy do I have a lot of those) did I find my old Tae Kwan Do belt. I remember doing that in Nelson BC, Canada for the first half of my fourth grade year. I bought this huge T-shirt from there to, a pink one that says 'Girl Power' on it with two cartoon girls fighting against each other with bo staffs. I moved from there when I was a yellow belt, so not very far along in my training, but I'm good so I could still beat you to a pulp if I needed to. Unless of course your a giant sumo wrestler. And don't forget, Libby, it's for self defense, not to fuel my aggressive side.
So now I sit, with a pile of cardboard by my side, all my things waiting patiently for the card to be folded into boxes and to be packed inside.

© 2012 SheActsLikeSummer


Author's Note

SheActsLikeSummer
I'm not actually packing up my house, but I will be soon. These are just memories I felt like conserving in case I get Alzheimer. I might add more later, in fact I probably will. I hope you enjoyed and feel free to review, though this was just a silly piece. :D

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is a lovely idea. :)

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

220 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 14, 2012
Last Updated on April 14, 2012
Tags: memories, pack, boxes, memory, remember

Author

SheActsLikeSummer
SheActsLikeSummer

Canada



About
I wish there was a single moment in my life that summed up who I am. Just a short snippet of time that I could copy and paste here so I didn't have to rack my mind for something to say. But I kind of .. more..

Writing