The Blank Wall

The Blank Wall

A Story by SheActsLikeSummer
"

A joint writing project. :)

"
A frail old man, cane in hand stares blankly at a wall. "Ha ha ha," he mutters, his face stripped of all emotion. "I had fun once," he drones on, "it was awful." ... "So I decided to eat a potato," he says, his voice still toneless. 
"So I ate that potato, and let me tell you; if there's anything worse than finding a worm in your potato, it's finding half a worm in that there potato. So while I chewed my potato, a liquidy substance filled my mouth... well yes, that was a rather pleasant surprise..." now his voice changes, from no emotion at all to a tinge of sarcasm. 
"And I'm sure you'll be glad to know that worm tastes rather citricey. Try not to think of that the next time you sip your juice, sweety," he chuckles.
Then he realizes, he's talking to a wall. But this does not stop him; he is not faltered. "I WANNA RUN WITH THE WILD HORSES!!  OOOO, OO, OOOO, OO OO OO OOOOO O WISH I COULD RECKLESSLY LOVE LIKE I WAS LONGING TO.... DO DO DO DO DO"
Suddenly he stops, takes a sharp intake of breath and mutters, "Damn, I could use another potato... MARTHA!!!" he yells, hoping his wife is in ear shot.
"HOWARD!!!" she says in a craggy voice. "How many times do I have to tell you? My name's Marthor!!!"
The old man mumbles to himself quietly "...grumble... ...grumble... ...stupid... ...grumble... ...potato... ...grumble... ...grumble... ...Martha... ...grumble..."

He walks out of the room, into the kitchen where Marthor is. "Grumble.....stupid.... Wait, why am I in here?" he asks his wife.


"Darling, I don't know" she replys, impatiently. " You're the one who called me - "


But its too late, he's already off, following the cat. And the cat leads him to the garden. The garden where Marthor plants all her veggies. "Gasp!" he says, "I remember now!" So as the cat begins to dig up a potato from the ground, the silly old man walks back to the kitchen.


"MARTHA!" he screams, right before he remembers. "Marthor, damnit, Marthor" he mutters to himself.


"HOWARD!" Oh, jeez he thought. Here it comes "HOW MANY TIMES TO I HAVE TO TELL YOU? MY NAME IS MARTHOR. WE HAVE BEEN MARRIED FOR FIFTY YEARS FOR CHRIST'S SAKE!"


Howard shyed away into the next room. No potato was worth this. Half worm or not.


And so he walks back into the room, cane in hand, and sits himself down on the stool, facing the wall.

© 2012 SheActsLikeSummer


Author's Note

SheActsLikeSummer
I wrote this with Lumiere Declinante. Hope You Like It... :P

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Dude, our spontaneous writing is messed up. In a good way :D

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

292 Views
1 Review
Added on April 15, 2012
Last Updated on April 18, 2012
Tags: wall, blank, man, old, potato

Author

SheActsLikeSummer
SheActsLikeSummer

Canada



About
I wish there was a single moment in my life that summed up who I am. Just a short snippet of time that I could copy and paste here so I didn't have to rack my mind for something to say. But I kind of .. more..

Writing