Four euro and seventy eight cents

Four euro and seventy eight cents

A Poem by Shellie
"

Met a homeless man on the street today in the rain. I gave him E4.78 in change. He gave me a dose of cop on.

"

He sat to the side like a discarded Christmas present,

Asking for a few cents from passing strangers;

Who ignored him and walked right by,

 including I.

Yet….his words registered as I turned the corner;

Is he really wishing us all a Merry Christmas?

Even though we are blind to his plight.

 

I have to go back now…..

Back to the only human being I have met recently

Who is not devoid of human kindness…..

 

His jacket is torn, he sits in a puddle in the rain,

And his cup is half empty… yet to him maybe half full.

 

I am so ashamed of myself and my selfish nation…..

I give him money and he wishes me Good tidings.

 

I wish him a Merry Christmas… Really wish him it.

And I walk away

My heart a bit brighter. 

© 2012 Shellie


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

It's always pleasing to me to know there are still good people left in the world. Kudos to you for being one of few! This piece made me smile and spoke volumes in how we view those less fortunate; who though needy still offer a kind word and a chance to be made better by sharing what little we have to make the world a brighter place for us all. On behalf of everyone who's ever been down so low to rely on the kindness of strangers: thank you!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This brought tears to my eyes! It's sad that people are in those situations, but they're still human with feelings.
Lovely little poem.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Nice, heartfelt story Michelle Xx

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Nice thought with heart here...great job!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A kind act though how many unlike you walked on by ?

A fine poetic, philanthropic piece, kudos indeed !

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I love poems that make me feel something, and this did. Love your style of writing purely amazing work and such an honest message you shared and thank you for spreading awareness of being kind...

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Yup, when we do a good work, our heart always brights like a sun brights up in the sky. I liked this poem, here you've poured your feelings into the words. You blessed him, I blessed you. "May God bless you!"

Keep doing good work because in today's world, it's been too tough to find good people in this wicked world. Ah! NeverMind but it's true, "the world's became very bad including" but when I do think who made the world bad? Then a voice comes from inside and says, "It's you pal who making the world bad doing number of worst activities throughout the day." but as saying goes, "Humans make sin" so, yeah ... we do but to overcome the sins, "it's a bit tough to us but not impossible." So, I do daily wish to stay away from making sins because sins never give happiness but pain and around 85% people are still living their lives with pain just cause of their sins they've made.

Anyway ... excuse the words. I really like the poem. I hope to read your new stuffs soon because I've seen that this write's written on Dec.16th.2012 which means, after 2 years, i've got an opportunity to read this virtual piece.

Keep writing and posting!
And stay always cool!

Posted 10 Years Ago


This is a beautiful touching story. It has me smiling..

Posted 10 Years Ago


A tender glimpse inside this most poignant moment... stirring the soul in every moment to come... a joy that rises even in the darkness... a glimmer of hope in the human experience that too often leaves us empty... leaves us wanting... yes here in your words it turns to hope... dawn...

Posted 10 Years Ago


Sad, a man such as this would be the one wishing good fortune on those too unkind to return the kindness. That's the real world and its shameful.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Very touching piece, beautifully written. Simple and very effective, so thank you!

Posted 10 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1017 Views
22 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on December 16, 2012
Last Updated on December 17, 2012

Author

Shellie
Shellie

Cork, , Munster, Ireland



About
JOIN ME ON FACEBOOK http://www.facebook.com/michelle.geaney Michelle Geaney likesMichelle Geaney - Cork PoetCreate your Like Badge I write likeJames JoyceI Write Like by M&.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


So Long Ago So Long Ago

A Poem by WindSong


Downfall Downfall

A Poem by A. Amos