Chapter 3

Chapter 3

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 3


The boys back on the farm from Stringum Hardware and the drugstore entered the house. Loraine seeing them entered through the doorway tracking in dirt and mud. “Outside boys,” she yelled looking down at her freshly clean floor. “I just scrub that floor,” setting a box beside the door and some brushes. “Don’t you dare take another step,” pushing them out with her broom. “I want those shoes cleaned and socks in that box, you to Steve,” placing her hands on her hips as she slammed the screen door.


Steve looked over at the boys then at the house where his wife was then seeing Richard and Sam and Danny playing in the yard. Richard laughed. “Steve don’t sweat the small stuff brother she already got mine yu’ll live.” then swings Danny and Sam in the air.


Robert laughed. “Besides she won’t let you in until you do, trust me we know,” Robert said sitting on the porch removing his shoes. “Their all the same.” tossing his socks in the box.


“I know, but she's my wife, she can’t do this to me,” Steve said looking towards the house.


Robert and Will slapped him on the back. “Right Steve,” 


Will laughed. “She a woman, they are all the same,” hands him brush for his shoes.


Then next thing you hear from inside the house. “Wayne, get off my clean floors with those shoes!” The boys turned seeing Pa being pushed out the door. Pa seeing his boys on the porch and Steve laughing as they hand him a brush watching Loraine shaking her finger at him slammed the door. Pa laughed removing his shoes and tossed his socks in the box. “Well, boys,” taking the brush looking towards the door. “Women and their clean floors, you don’t mess with them. No sir.” they laughed brushing the dirt off their shoes.


As they sat on the porch cleaning their shoes three men pulled up to the farm in pickups. 
“Is this the Downing Farm?” They asked.


“Yes, how can I help you?” Wayne said cleaning his shoes.


“Just need to set up some water lines and electric for the picnic Mr. Downing about a half mile from the farm in it that field.” The men replied.


“What picnic?” Wayne asked.


“Haven’t ya heard? It’s going to be a humdinger of one. It’s all over the county. Please sign here,” The man said.


“For what?” Wayne asked.


“Saying its ok to use your land.”


Wayne signed gives permission looked over at Steve. “What’s he talking about Steve?” Steve shrugged his shoulders. Let’s them go on about their business watching them set up a poll, measure the line for the water. “What picnic are you referring to?” Wayne asked as he walked over to the man by the pickup? The man hands him a flyer. “Farmer's picnic for details contact Stringum Hardware and Doc Hatfield. Wayne handed it to Steve and the boys as they looked at the flyer. Steve shrugged his shoulders tries to hide his surprise.


Wayne went in the house and Loraine checked to make sure all the socks and shoes are outside and picked up the box of socks hands them to the girls to wash them so Martha can sew the holes in them if she needs to. “Alright boys and smiles, “now you can come inside.” Now that she satisfied and handed them their shoes. “Put these in your rooms. You to Steve, it's not going to kill you-you'll be just fine,” she said.


Wayne and the boys laughed watching him hang his head. “Yes dear.”


“Boys your mother has a surprise guest coming for dinner so you mind helping me set up the table for 5 more people,” she said.


“Yes ma’am,” they replied.


Wayne picked up his shoes and went into the house and picked up the phone, calls over to Stringum’s. “Hello Mr. Stringum, Wayne Downing … Hello Dave … oh, he’s out … Can you tell me anything about this picnic …? Humm… you haven’t heard anything… well looking at this flyer it has his name on it…  Yes, that flyer… Oh, I see…  Yes, we can do that, a small gathering you say.


“They just want to borrow some land for a couple of days… Fine, fine… Glad to help another farmer, thanks Dave,” he said hanging up the phone


Dave wiped the sweat off his face after telling Mr. Stringum; they sighed with relief.


“Steve that picnic just a whole lot nothing; just a bunch of farmers wanting to borrow some land for a get together for meeting that’s all. Thought it would be the best place to be and was open country, and thought a picnic close to the creek would be nice.” Steve sighed wiping the sweat off his face. “For a minute I thought we had a problem the way they were carrying on,” Wayne replied


Steve just looked out the window watched the men working smiling. “Yep it’s going to be a humdinger alright,” he whispered.


“What was that Steve?” Wayne asked


“Yes Wayne, I thought there was a problem too,” slapping him on the back. “Oh look, the girls are back from town.” Pa yell’s for the boys to help unload the pickup laughing at Steve hoping around on his tinder feet.


Robert and Will noticed him too and laughed Richard puts his arm around his brother, “sore feet already bro?” He asked.


“Ooooh, ah oooh,” Steve replied jumping from one foot to the other.


Richard laughed. “You’ll live,” picking up a box of can goods taking them into the house. 

Steve didn’t think he was a bit funny as he hoped to one foot to another looking at his wife whispering to her. “I’m not as young as I used to be dear and a long ways from being a kid again,” he said looking over at Richard.


She chuckled. “I know that dear, don’t sweat the small stuff. You can set those right over there, thanks, dear.” She said and laughed watching him hopping around on his tinder feet outside.


Martha watched Steve shaking her head. Loraine whispered. “He had it coming.” She said after finding out that he dropped off his mother without them telling anyone at EJ’s house.


Martha giggled. “Don’t you think that’s a little harsh,” she asked.


“Oh, just for one day, he can have them back tomorrow. Besides I did have the girls scrub all floors. It would be a shame to get them dirty so soon,” she replied.


“True!” As they both watched and laughed seeing him hop around from the pickup to the house.


As promised their surprised guests showed up at the door right on time. Doctor Whitmore and his wife are punctual that’s for sure, Martha greats them at the door. “Hello Doc, Rena please come in,” watching her boys remover their sandals setting them by the door.


Wayne laughed watching the three boys. Frank said. “Ma has thing about shoes in the house, sir,” Frank replied.


“Oh, that’s fine boys,” looking down at his own feet laughing.


Rena and Doc introduce the boys. “Wayne, Martha you met my son Frank this his brother Mark and his friend Peter.” Mr. Whitmore said as he introduced them.


Frank was the oldest and took after father with his short brown hair and bright blues and chiseled chin. He was growing fast for a boy of 14 almost 6 feet tall. But he was his mother's pride and joy and had her stubborn streak, but he was smart as a whip and loved the outdoors like his brother Mark just a year younger than him and his best friend Peter.


Mark didn’t have the height yet like his brother just under 5 feet, but that could change as his father put his arm around him. Sometimes he felt bad that his grades were not as good as his brother, but he was a good athlete when came to track and field. He loved how the wind would blow through his light brown hair. Girls always seemed to be in awe of his deep blue eyes like his mother that sometimes he’d have to fight them off with a stick or run even faster to get away from. He loved working with leather and as he helped his mother making leather goods. Some would say was a momma’s boy and tease him, but his brother made life bearable whenever he got in a fight they were like two peas in a pod.


Peter Price was considered more than just a best friend to the Whitmore’s. He was family and he was the only child at 13 years old being raised by his grandmother who worked under Mr. Whitmore at the Payson Hospital as a nurse ever since his parents died when he was baby. He was too young to remember them and always wished he had brothers so he wouldn’t feel alone in the world. He had blond hair and blue eyes and was smaller of the three boys, but he didn’t mind. Too him this where he belonged and loved them just the same and they consider him as their own son relation had nothing to do with it.


“Well, we are pleased to have you, come on in.” Pa led them into the house with everyone in the living room, as their eyes went wide as they walked into the house seeing Doctor Whitmore and three boys all wearing a Kitenge gown. Martha and Wayne just smiled looked at everyone surprised faces as if was nothing unusual as he introduced them. Pa led them into the living room so the family can get acquainted bit, after a while, everyone was laughing having a good time. Doc was showing pictures of his homeland telling stories of his country.


“Well, then dinner will be done in about couples of hours or so Robert, Will would you like to take the three boys down to meet EJ and visit with him for a while then you can take them out to the farm show them around,” Ma replied.


“Yes Ma,” they said.


Robert and Will took Frank, Mark, and Peter down to see EJ, leaving Doc and his wife to visit with them for a while. Robert opened the door of the room letting the boys in closing the door behind them. EJ turned his head putting his blocks away on the tray seeing the boys he waved “hi” to Frank, Robert introduce the other two boys. “You are joking right?” EJ asked seeing their guest all in gowns like his.


“Nope.” The boys replied.


Frank laughed. “We get that all the time,” coming closer to him as he looked at their Kitenge gowns. “We thought maybe you would feel better if you knew that there were more of us out wearing these,” Frank said as they spin around. EJ laughs because it was so funny Robert and Will could blearily stand up they were laughing so hard from watching them spin.


Frank seeing EJ Kitenge takes the gown handed to Will to try on. “Try it on,” Frank said.


“Here? Now?” Will asked.


“Why not?” Will looks at him shrugged his shoulders?


Then Frank handed it to Robert. “Alright, you put on,” and waited. “You are scared that someone else will see you aren’t ya?” He said. They all nod their heads. “We were too at first,” Frank said, Mark nods his head so did Peter. “That was until Pa took us home to visit his country finding boys and girls just like us wearing them, but I was still scared to be seen wearing one around,” Frank said.


Frank took off his gown to show them his scars. “Three summers ago I fell off my bike, rolled down a hill, and got tangled into some barbwire. Tore me up pretty good and busted my leg. So I know how you feel looking at those sheets EJ, board stiff laying in that stupid bed,” he said then putting back on the gown.


Mark smiled. “I fell out of a tree, don’t have any scares like my brother,” he said.


Peter laughed. “Chickenpox and rolled in poison ivy… don’t try it itches bad,” he said Robert and Will laughed. “Besides its fun watching people stare at you when you walk by; you just wave and spin like this,” watch their eyes pop out their head. “It blows their mind when you spin like this.”


Robert and Will and EJ laughed till it hurt. “Alright, alright,” holding his ribs.  Will picked up the Kitenge looks at then looks at the boys in the room. “What do say, Robert?”


Robert was already pulling off his overalls down to his shorts. “I’m first,” taking the Kitenge gown out Wills' hands EJ laughing grabbing his ribs. Watching Robert spin around in the gown that was to short for him.


Ma could hear the boys laughing down the hall in the room and walked back into the living room. “They’re fine,” smiling and giggling to herself. “They are in there having the time of their life.” She said taking a seat next to Wayne on the couch as they looked at more pictures of his homeland.


Doctor Whitmore was busy telling them the stories of each boy so they knew what was going on. Pa smiled seeing the five boys come back grinning from ear to ear.  “Ma?” Robert asked.


“Yes, Robert?”


“How soon do think you’ll have ours made?” He said putting their arms around their new friends.


“I’ll start working on them first thing tomorrow son,” she replied.


“Thanks, Ma,” and smiled. “Come on boys, let’s go see a farm.”


“Frank, Mark don’t forget your sandals,” His mother replied.


“Oh, Ma,” Frank groans.


“Rena they’ll be fine,” Ma laughing looked her boys. “We can’t keep shoes on them half the time,” she replied.


“Alright, go on then have fun.”


“Well… why I am here let’s go check on that boy of yours shall we.”  Doc replies. Doc, Wayne, and Martha checked on EJ. EJ seeing Doc Whitmore in his Kitenge gown nearly laughed at the sight.


“Hello Doc, thanks for the gown,” he said.


“Glad you like it,” Doc said.


He does now thinking and knowing he won’t be only one wearing one around. He might be able to handle few gockers of his own with brothers and friends by his side.


“Have you been minding your Ma by staying in that bed?” Doc asked


“Yes, Doc.”


“Good; mind if I have a peek at those stitches?” He asked.


EJ swallowed. “Alright sir,” as Ma closed the door behind them.


“Yes, very nice Martha the fevers doing better too, I think another couple of days it will be gone I think. EJ I bet you are ready to get out this bed?”


“Yes, sir.”


“Doc you said,” Martha replied.


“Yes one or two days,” he replied.


“I think he can come out for a while,” taking the Kitenge gown off the back of the chair. 
“What do think son?” Doc asked.


"Yes sir, please Ma?” EJ asked.


“Alright,” and sighed. “For dinner then well put you on the couch then straight back to bed,” she said.


“Yes, Ma,” Doc about to say something.


“Martha?”


“I know Doc. Believe me, this time he will take it slow,” shaking a finger at EJ.


EJ sighed. “Yes Ma,” Pa laughed as Ma helps him on with the gown and Pa carries him into the living room till dinner was ready.


Doc and Rena her boys and their friend Peter all gathered around the table. Yes, the house was getting even more crowded, but nobody cared as they laughed except for two girls all they could do was stare, thinking they where all crazy as a loon; boys and men insane wearing dress that they couldn’t pounce. A dress was dress to them it could stop traffic a mile away just the mere site could make you go blind. Their hands and feet blistered sore from all housework. How can they laugh? How dare they laugh! Peggy whispers over to Donna, “we need to get out of here, I want to go home.”


Dona nods looking at her hands staring at the boys across the table. “I hate it here,” Dona replied.


“Me too,” Peggy said.  “Well lest we agree on something anyway.” then kicks her sisters just for fun “oh that felt good...” until she kicked her back.


“Stop it,” Dona replied.


“You stop it,” Peggy replied.  Mary leaned over the two girls as they quickly stopped.


After dinner and dessert, they waved goodbye to their new friends, telling them will see them soon at the annual picnic. EJ smiles waves thanks them again for the gift. “It’s a lot better than a sheet,” he replied. He can’t wait to spin around in it just like Robert and Will. That will have wait until Ma can make him some shorts to wear underneath. Could be a bit drafty just thinking about it makes him blushes a little as he checked to make sure his waist is covered.


Robert looked over at him smiles noticed him checking the gown pulling down tight over his knees. “EJ you're fine, besides who’s going to notice you accept us, the girls are on the other side of the table,” Robert said.


EJ whispered. “I know Robert. I just felt a draft when they opened the door,” he said.


Robert laughed, “oh never thought of that.”


“Alright boys go ahead finishes your chores then I want you to go straight to bed,” Ma replied.


“Yes, Ma.”


“You to girls we all had a long couple of days and we could use a good night sleep.” Ma said.


Ma started to help clear the table and do the dishes Mary and Lizzy bring her back sitting her back down on the couch next EJ. “Martha we got it dear.” Martha sighed picked up the sewing needle and thread started working on the gowns shaking her head whispering, watching, “timber grandma, swing that ax.”


Wayne leaned over to her smiles gave her a kiss on the head whispered. “Do you know how much I love you dear?”


She grinned, looks into his eyes looks over at EJ and seeing Danny and Sam falling asleep. “Yes dear,” kisses him on the cheek.


“Then just relax. You have gowns to make and I have two boys that need to be put to bed,” he said and hums in her ear. Martha giggles like a school girl softly watching him move and pick up the boys in his arms put them on to his shoulder and carry them down the hall. To where the boy’s all share the same room, place them on a mattress on the floor.



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

More family life. That Peggy, though, she's going to make trouble, I just know it.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 4 Years Ago


Shep

4 Years Ago

yes she will and thank you for your reading and your comments

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

110 Views
1 Review
Added on February 10, 2019
Last Updated on January 16, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep