Chapter 4.2

Chapter 4.2

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 4-2


Everyone load in the cars and headed into town for the picnic for the day and a day of fun as they head on down the road. Sam and Danny bounced up and down on the back seat seeing the fairgrounds of the park. Their little eyes were wide with excitement as they pulled into the parking lot, Pa thinking its best that he should carry EJ into the park to keep him from getting knocked down. Richard picked up Danny, Robert picked ups, Sam, putting them on their shoulders as they went into the park. Pa speaks up over the noise. “We will find our spot and come back for the heavy stuff,” he said. Ma and the girls picking up the quilts and the pies and the tablecloths, they all headed for the park.


The place was bustling with, music, and games going on everywhere. The smells of everything made you quiver with hunger. People were everywhere, it was a madhouse, bumping you this way and that way. They would sometimes stare at Will and Robert they just smile like they didn't care and wave to them. Robert and Will would nod their head and smile at EJ whispering. “Just wave like you don't care, we don't,” Robert said and they do a little spin holding Sam as he laughed. That always made him smile a little bit more as people walked by and stared at them.


Finally reaching the tables Pa could see they were nearly full. Pa looked for some friends that he knew but nobody was here. “Where is everyone, Martha?” He asked looking at all faces staring at them.


“I don't know dear,” she replied.


“Most these people are town folk, where are all our friends, where are all our neighbors?” he asked. Pa seeing an open table, “boys grab that table quickly why I go find everyone” he said.


Will and Robert dashed over and sit on the table while girls spread out, setting down stuff on it. “I'm sorry sir, miss you can't sit here, it has been reserved.” Will and Robert dash over to the next table with the girls “I'm sorry boy's, miss you can't sit here it been taken already.” Again, again not one table in the place.


“Ma all the tables are gone now what do we do?” Julie asked.


Ma looked at the crowd with a hard cold stare, “we find a nice shade tree that's what, they can keep their tables,” she said a fire burning in her eyes. Julie and Ma spread out the quilt under a tree and waited for Pa. Ma and the boys could hear people whispering, looking at them and the boys. Will and Robert just wave and smiled. “They want something to whisper about watch this,” Robert said and Will stood up and spins around, around and around. People heads turned.


Ma watched eyes popping right out their heads and laughed. “Thanks, boys I need that,” she said.


“Martha I can't find anyone, nobody's here?” Pa said with a worried look on his face. 
Grandma said she'd be here so did everyone else,


“Dear it's still early yet maybe their running a little late that's all,” Ma replied.


In the distance, you could hear a disturbance. “What do mean their here, didn't you tell them they couldn't be here? Oh those people, they got some nerve showing up like that.” Whispers were getting louder and heads were starting to turn towards the noise. Mrs. Collins was headed towards them. The eyes in the crowd followed her down the rows as she went with her staff behind her like a flock of geese's squawking.

“Must I do everything myself,” she mutters to them.


Martha and Wayne stand seeing her coming towards them. “Hello Mrs. Collins nice day for a picnic, we seemed not to be able to find our spot this year,” Martha said looking at her straight in the eye.


Mrs. Collins looked at all her children and the boy’s dresses. “Yes about that Mrs. Downing,” Mrs. Collins said looking around at all the people and her staff, “it seems we ran out of room this year for....”


“Hello, Mrs. Collins, Wayne, boys, Julie, Anna,” Doc said with a wave.


“Doc what in the world?” Wayne replied, seeing him dressed as a simple farmer.


“Can I have your attention please,” as Mrs. Collins about to finish speaking seeing the Mayor and Judge Parker up on the podium dressed as a simple farmer like Doc. “I would like to get this annual picnic started.” The Mayor said looking around the audience, “By simply turning this event over to Mrs. Collins and her staff; boy's.” The doors opened the city council members all dressed as simple framers start coming up to the podium. Music starts playing “chicken in the straw."


Doc grabbing Mrs. Collins by the arm yelling back to Wayne, “stay there, don't you move,” laughing. Wayne and them shocked by what they are seeing and are amazed, people whispering, heads turning, eyes popping back and forth. “As Mayor of this town I hear by grant Mrs. Collins this day and her staff to run this here annual picnic,” he said. Placing a bonnet on her head, “and let the town folk picnic in this park. Why us simple farmers,” he said snapping his suspenders on his overalls, “leave and have our own farmer's picnic this year held down by the Downing Farm.  Boys let’s go, ye haw,” he replied.


Straw hats fly into the sky, banjo music fills the air. Mrs. Collins stunned starting to swoon. ”But before we go I like to introduce to you a few of my friends and neighbors here.”

The Mayor said. Music changes up a little, 15 little Indian boys from all different ages and sizes. Tall ones, mediums size ones, come charging out of nowhere among the crowd. A whopping and hollering for all their worth throughout the crowd dressed in loincloths. Up around the podium down again around Mrs. Collins giving her a little Tommy hawk, then out to the wagon, she swoons seeing that one of those boys in the group is her grandson, waves to her “bye” and yells back at her, “Have fun Grandma;” before climbing on to the wagon with the rest of the boys, heading down to the field.


Then a group of men and boys following with music changing east African drum beat. All dressed in stylish, the most wildest colors that would knock bird right out in mid-flight, in Kitenge gowns; mingling in the crowd, turning heads left and right, as they stopped and spin around as they shook their necklace to the beat of the drum. With their wives right behind them dressed similarly to them. Just the kitenge was cut differently made with lacing more stylish for them, adding bows and extra lace around the neckline. Which is more rounded for them and dresses lot longer, do the same and smile keeping to the beat.


Just for fun and to make a point Doc decided to have all the city council dress as simple farmer boys and had throw in some extra surprise
s at the end. “Now folks as you can see, it doesn't matter to us who we meet on the street. Heck they can have some hair like these folks here” the Mayor said as everyone laughed at the woman and man hair piled high as a tower “or no hair like Mr. bald as an eagle,” everyone laughed. “Heck we just don't care if it’s green, red or even blue,” he said as a man and woman comes dashing out smiling nodding to the crowd down the aisle. “Frankly folks we farmers are just simple folks just like you and just don't care.”


“And so I say with that, we will be parting and leaving you to your fun. You are more than welcome to joins us if you like.” He said as he and Doc and some city council throw their straw hats into the air. Old Betsy fires in the background. Mrs. Collins falls right off her chair right on her behind and the men and boys in the wagon shout. “Yee-haw,” headed on towards the farm.


Doc and the Judge hand her and some flowers and a quick peck on the cheek whispered in her ear, “sorry Gertrude come joins us if you like dear, you had it common. I'll save you a dance.” Judge Parker said. Gives her the keys to the park and tells the folks that stay have a Good-time at their little picnic, helped her back onto her feet, watching the crowd of people leave the grounds. Pickups, cars and hay wagons heading down to the farm.


Wayne and Martha stood at the entrance of the park watching them leave. “Now there are tables to be found,” Ma and Pa laughed, Mrs. Collins, stunned looked around at the town folk that is still left noticing that more than half were leaving.


Doc, Judge walked over to them, “what are you still doing here Wayne? Aren't you a simple farmer? After all, that's where all your friends and neighbors are, now git,” he said and pointed them back to their cars.


“Yes sir,” as they all laughed.


The Downing's headed back to the farm happy as a clam knowing home is where they needed to be all along. When they pulled back into the farm, they find everyone waiting for them. Steve, Mary, Lizzy and Grandma with one extra visitor they haven't met yet all sitting on the front porch. “Well it’s about time you guys got back,” Grandma said standing up giving them all a big hug.


Martha wiped the tears from her eyes, “I was so worried when we didn't see any of you,” she said.


“Of course not dear we were all here waiting for you silly dears,” Grandma said.


“Now than high time we met, I'd say, Wayne, Martha, children I'm Aunt Margaret,” she said.


Aunt Margaret or known by most Aunty M who lives in Salt Lake City and her husband Mike Cotwellar; who EJ has have met few times whenever they came down for Christmas when he was younger. Aunt Margaret was heads taller than grandma, with raven black hair with gray that seemed to make her older. She had hard straight noses and steely blue eyes that always seemed to look into your very soul. She knew without a doubt if you were telling fibs or a tall tale.


She was stubborn like the rest of us and most likely could give a mule a lesson or two. She had secrets on everybody, relation or not. If there is secret you do not want her to know, you might as well give up she most like already knew it. She was in her late seventies but could hold her own and work you under the table as if she was still in her prime.


Mike her husband who had recently past away who lived a double life, that very few knew of including his wife Margaret up until the day he died, sick for a very long time.  He was the first person besides EJ’s grandfather, to take an interest in her when she was growing up. He had been told he owned a sheep ranch and lumber mill and could put most men to shame either shaving the wool off a sheep or chopping down trees riding bareback on a log train, going down the river.

In his prime he was the average height of most men built with muscular arms like Pa, but no bigger than seven feet six inches. He had a way of making you feel right at home and was a gentle as they come. He had one bad habit of smelling like a can of old sardines. Which he ate like candy, is all EJ can say is ewe; when comes to bad breath with a mixture of Halls Cough Drops.


“Aunt Margaret?” Martha gasped looking around “where are the boys?” She asked.


“Oh their around dear,” she said as she laughed. “Oh yes, they are around. Now then shall we? Let’s go have some fun,” she replied.


Pa hooked up the wagon for them all to ride in. This time he thinks he better drive, but oh no Aunt Margaret would not hear of it. “Wayne I maybe old son, but I do like to have a little fun too,” she said. With a flick of the wrist the horses come to life with a hard start and jump as they leaving the front of the house, and then they started to gallop, everyone hanging on tight as they go past the house and down the road few paces. Pa and boys and the aunts and Ma laughing in the back, down to the picnic they go smiles on their faces.


“Yes, sir wagons are better than cars, except for the smell,” Steve said as he holds his nose when the horse lifted his tail. Everyone laughed slapping Steve on the back, handing him the shovel. Pa ties up the horses and finds a nice spot that says reserved for Downing family… with family, friends, and neighbors on all sides that they knew. Ma and the ladies spread out the tablecloths and set the table sending the children out to play. Ma looked under the table not surprised and smiles finding all the boys shoes and takes them puts them all back in the wagon.


There are kids everywhere, she could see Frank, Mark, and Peter wearing their kitenge playing with Will, Robert and EJ and other boys as well. Rena comes over sits by her watching. “Funny isn't it,” she said, “how they don't seem to care like we do; It takes us longer.” She said watching her husband walk through a crowd turning heads as he passes by.


Martha giggles at the sight when their heads turn for a second glance a man in a weird looking dress. “Yes but I like it,” she said watching her boys play.


Martha looked in the far corner seeing EJ's parents watching them and waves back to them trying to be friendly at least. Jim and Linda just stare back at them and girls whispering to them. “Look, Mamma, over there, see what I mean?” Peggy said pointing to where the boys are playing, “he's wearing a dress all them just look at them,” she said.


Grandma walked over to them, “Peggy it’s not nice to point or stare,” she said.


“But Grandma those boys are wearing dresses and that man,” she replied.


“Yes dear I know, would like to meet him? Doc?” Grandma whistle, “Doctor Whitmore?” Waves over to him, Doc sees Betty and heads right on over with swish of his Kitenge as the heads turn this way and that.


“Yes Betty?” he said.


“These folks would like to meet you,” she said. Linda and Jim's eyes pop right out their head seeing his gown, it could stop traffic at lunchtime and make a horse go blind. “He's from East Africa dear this known as a Kitenge gown,” Grandma said. Linda and Jim are speechless looking at the dress then Doc spins with his necklaces dangling down his chest. They nearly lost it. Linda swoons feeling faint from the sight


Linda takes one more look around. “I want to go home, Jim. These people are crazy, come on girls, Grandma you can stay if like, but I am going home,” she said.


“How about you girls do what stay with Grandma and have some fun?” She asked.


“Are you nuts Grandma?” They asked looking at kids running around having Good-time, laughing, playing not caring who's, who. “No way Grandma they're nuttier than a fruit basket that's no fun at all, trust us we know,” they replied.


Grandma shakes her head sighs. “Alright then,” giving them each a hug, “I'll be back late,” she said.


Jim nods and sighs. “If you must mother.”


“Oh I must son,” she said and watched them leave. Grandma joins the Downing's shaking her head. “Martha,” patting her hand and sighs, “those trees are tough dear that's for sure. Now then let’s say we kick up our heels dear, we have earned a little fun,” she said.


The food on the table was glory'est feast to be had, vittles of every sort's; pies. cakes, tartars, rolls, bread, meats of all kinds piled high, corn on the cob in melted butter, beans, fresh peas. You name it t’was there. “Mumm, mm” the smell would drive any man and boy crazy. It was a heavens delight. Tables were all buzz, people dug in until their bellies were full and bursting. Music played in the background. People laughing having a good time not caring who’s, who's or what people are or what they wearing or not wearing to them simple farmers include them all. It was enough that he was my friend or he was my brother as they laughed and played together. Everyone cleared the tables for the dancing turning on the lights.


“Everyone grab a partner's guys and gal's come on fella's don't be shy. Everyone in the middle put yer hands together. Slap yer knees clap those hands, slide yer feet side to side. Grab yer partner around the waist come on fella's she won't bite. Swinging her around swinger yer to the right then to left then lift her high in the air. Not too high now "slap"  “what do that fer? Sit her gentle back on the ground. Then do the dosey doe... Ye haw...”


They danced and danced all night long, the grown-ups and the young adults alike across the dance floor. Even Richard met a young felly he liked to dance with her the most. Then things settle down with an explosion of fireworks in the sky. Blues and green sprinkled down like little diamonds stars falling from the sky; kids and family spread out on quilts watching the fireworks burst from the sky.


Ooh and aha's could be heard in the crowd, after each burst of the explosion of new colors of reds and greens popping above them. Kids running around with sparklers in their hands, having a good time in the cools summer evening, the youngen's played the night away. Young lovers finding spots of their own under the stars to watch the fireworks and some created their own. Yes, this was a picnic of wonders of magic and sports of all kinds. Old farmers loading the hay wagons for rides under the clear night sky and down by the creek for a quick little dip before bedtime.



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love what you're doing here.
Your people are delightful.
My only suggestion (not worth a plug nickel :) )
Edit some words out. I try to read the first time as a storyteller. Looking for that certain flow. The second time around like I was the reader. (Sometimes I start at the end reading one line at a time back to the beginning. Weird, I know. That helps me find many mistakes) I try for a balance just enough detail to give it life and not so much that it chokes the imagination.
Then I go back (after I make myself) and cut out words not deeded.
Like... I sat down on the bed.
Cutting, down.
With all that said I really like this.



This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 5 Years Ago


Shep

5 Years Ago

thanks i'll try that.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

85 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 12, 2019
Last Updated on January 17, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep