Chapter 8-1

Chapter 8-1

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 8-1


Walking down the hall to Sam's and Danny room, she gives each boy a kiss. “Martha dear I never asked you who the new boys is?”
Wayne replied.


“Oh dear, didn't I tell you, dear. That's Teddy their new playmate.”


“No dear,” he replied, “you didn’t tell me.”


“It must of slip my mind dear, old age I guess,” she said as she brushed his little blond hair placed a kiss on his check and tucked him in.


“I'm glad he has a friend dear,” as he kissed her when he closed the door.


Martha then wiped the tear from her eye, “dear he lost his father two years ago and his mother too according to Doc. I was wondering if?”   Martha looking away to hind her eyes “if we could?” She said not daring to say the words as they felt them in their heart. “There is always room for more.”


Teddy was roughly the same age as Danny and the same. 6 and ½ and would be seven come January; blond hair blue eyes, with full face and puffy adorable little cheeks and pudgy like nose. He was runt unlike most boys his age, being only three or four inches taller than Sam. He was orphan being passed around from home to home in a small little town known as Erika after both his parents were killed in a fire including his little sisters who died soon after.


Wayne just kissed her and held her tight and whispered in her ear, “dear there's always room for one more,” he said finishing it.  Ma and Pa turn around the corner to the girl's room, Ma with tears in her eyes whispers and sweetly kisses her darling angels, goodnight and closed the door giving Wayne one more hug and kiss then wrapping his arms around him headed to their bedroom closing the door.


“Thanks for the meal dear my house bursting, my is my heart is always bursting,” she said as she falls into her man and moon and her Sheriffs arms.


“You are welcome, dear. now it looks like you are already trying to fill that new house dear,” as he laughed gives her another kiss.


She whispered. “All do my best,” as she falls asleep in his arms.


Mr. Rooster sees the shadows as the weeds blowing images of shapes on the canvas tents and the cattails pound nosily on his barrel. A loose sheet fly's above as he c***s his eye leaps and staggers and heads back to the farm as fast as his two little rooster legs can carry him. The shadows were not done playing with old Mr. Rooster as they swipe on his right then on his left. Creeping up right behind him, they pluck a feather or two laughing at him as he hops whispering, "c**k doooodoodlle doooe Mr. Rooster from Downing farm.”  He leaps in the air higher and higher leaping flapping in the air as they laughed. His poor little legs running faster up the road as they goose him to keep him hopping until he reaches home. Mr. Roster seeing his pin runs right for it slammed the gate closed with a bang.


Pushing his little tail feathers against the door. Taking a wing of his breast wiped the sweat from his head down to his gobbler shaking, “O-there's no place like home, please don't eat me.” Climbs into his nest of straw, tucked his head hiding under his wing shaking. Someone whispered, “welcome home Mr. Rooster,” as they leave a chill that ran down his little chicken spine as he nestled in the soft hay. Someone pushed the card the boys made and Aunty M sweat pan of cornbread by his bed of hay before he fades away.


“Please, Mr. Rooster were ... Sorry... please forgive us, we would never, never, never eat you. The Downing's and Aunty M. “Please stay home where you belong. We miss you.”


Mr. Rooster wiped his tears with his checker bib cloth. “AHH, they missed me, ladies,” as he wiped his beak. “Man this sure is good cornbread,” dropping another piece into his mouth, “yes sir,” kicking back his two legs falling to sleep in his nest until sunrise.”


The early dawn rise as a young rooster hopping in the barnyard strutting his stuff, “good morning ladies,” he replied.


“Oh my, what nice looking tail feathers you have.” The lady chickens reply.


“Thanks,” as young brown roster sticks out his breast hops on the fence, they swoon with delight as he winks, “A c**k a Doodled Do.”


“What in tar nation?” As the Mr. Rooster flings out of his nest out of his pin seeing this young brown rooster standing on his fence. “Who and the heck are you? And what are you doing on my fence?” He said strutting over as the chickens watch two male Roosters.


“Oh, my,” eyes gleamed for both those sparking tail feathers, cackling all excited, “Mr. Rooster your back,” cackling, swooning, gleaming as they watched. “Now we have two male Rooster ladies... handsome, fine, specimens,” as they swoon and faint, imagine the possibilities... late night Ronda views with them as they looked towards the house at Mr. Mrs. Downing they cackle with more with excitement.


Who was going to get the first crack in the hen house? Start the biding with feathers, eggs, softer hay, extra feed, and then scratching that off due to much fattening up for chicken’s would not be good right now. Too many kitchen knives around and agreed with soft nest and roll in the hay as they all cackle with delight. Looking at the two roosters as they dueled it out on the fence it was exciting as they each bring out a bag of feed to watch the contest popping seed into their mouths.


“Mr. Rooster turns, “of course I'm back ladies,” then turned to the intruder. “They can't get rid me that easily no sir,” as he jumps on the fence sticks out his breast. “Sonny this how an old pro does it,” taking a deep breath, “COCOCKDODDOLE DO!” And ran to the top fence on the other side of the farm “COCOCKDODDOLE DO!” And top the house, “COCOCKDODDOLE DO!”


Mr. Rooster winks at the gals and the cows and waved his piece of straw in the air. The chickens tap to the beat of the farm. Grabbing Mr. Brown Rooster off the fence giving him a whirl as he to does C**k cocka doodle do to a western beat. That makes the other chickens swoon and go wild over him on the farm. “C**k doodle do, moooooo, clack, clack, and wee.” “C**k doodle does, moooooo, clack, clack, and wee” as the animals on the farm chime in and Mr. Roosters waved his straw in the air happily to the merry song. And they sing and did the c**k doodles do c**k doodlum, mooo, clack wee left wee trot the right back into the pin.


Will hits hit's head on the ceiling yelling, “Mr. Rooster back,” as Robert and Richard sprawl out on the floor grabbing their overalls rushing down the hall yelling, “his back” Pa stiff as board smiling as he comes to with a start, “no Martha he's right where he is supposed to be.”


Aunty M peeked out the winder seeing two roosters on the fence smiles and gives them each a nod goes back to sleep. Granny writes on the menu Fried chicken back on, but leave's note circled in red Mr. Downing's eggs only, leaves all chickens and Roosters alone. The eggs count on the Downing farm tripled for some reason that day. They had eggs coming out of their ears and baskets full as they laughed and baked lots of goodies for the boy's and the children plus sweet cornbread for both roosters.


Ma whistling a merry old tune in the kitchen, fixing breakfast for her little family. Watching all the boys whizzing by her towards the barn Sam, Danny and Teddy with Julie and Anna right behind them must be bath time. EJ heading out to join his brothers out in the barn, “is it just me are you little slow?” Ma asked.


“Hi Ma,” as EJ goes by and stops gives her hug.


“Are you alright son?” She asked.


“Yes, Ma.”


“You feel little warm to me.”


“I'm fine Ma,” EJ heads out to the barn hobbling along.


“You tell me right?” She asked.


“Yes Ma,” EJ hobbles further away as she shakes her head


“Just nerves,” Martha said and rubbed her arms as a cold chill walked by her seeing a shadow in the corner of her eye. “Na its nothing, Aunty M and her stories got us all spooked that's all.” Ma looked towards the barn laughing Julie and Anna caught her prizes heading for the tub, knowing one them will be leaving soon as she wiped a tear from her eye.


“There you are you mind helping me set the table,
Wayne?” While girls have the three boys in the tub,” she asked.


“No dear, not at all,” he said as he looked towards the hall. “Have you told Danny yet and the other children Martha that he is leaving today and about your little secret?”
Wayne asked as he gazed over at Martha from across the table.


Martha shook her head looked out the window and wiped a tear from her eye. Gasps in a soft whisper to, him. “I can't dear,” runs outside to cry.
Wayne followed her out the door, wraps his arms around her, hold her tight against him tries to comfort her even though it too is breaking his heart as well to let Danny go. But he knows he must be strong for both of them. That's why he had Grandma called in this morning; she would be here soon to help if it would help at all.



* * *

 


“Dona, Peggy finish your breakfast please while I making sure everything is ready when your brother comes home today,” Grandma said as her mind worries. “Draught, this is just not working out, if only we had more time as Grandma whispered to herself and looked down the hall towards Jim and Linda's room. She just stays in their day after day. Jim won't talk to her or visit with me except find an excuse to go somewhere. I mention anything about having fun. ‘What's that? Sounds boring, can't ford it? That’s what everyone else thinks or not in the mood’. Linda, she sits stares at the wall all day. ‘Do I have to do everything? You do it or yelling "JIM"’ until he gets up do whatever need's to be done.


Grandma heard a knock at the door, “are you Betty Stuart?” the boy asked holding the telegram.


“Yes son,” she replied.


“Telegram for you Ma’am sign here please, thanks Ma’am,” he said climbing on his bike.



    Dear Betty: If you find those trees are hard to chop, uproot them; Stop...

Try a change of scenery and move them, chop wood elsewhere: Stop...

Aunty M. Stop...



“Thanks, boy,” hands him a bill, stuffed the note into her purse. Pondering the message, “uprooting trees,” she said as she looked at Jim seeing him come up the driveway, rubbing her chin. “Danny coming home today, can't go to the farm, this place is a mess.” A light goes on in her head picked up the phone


“Steve?” She asked.


“Hello mother,” he replied.


“I need a favor, I'm coming home today, bring all those trees with me. Steal them brow them just have everything ready, axes are sharp dear I'm swinging it,” she said.


“Yes mother,” Steve said as they hang up the phone.


“Jim start packing,” seeing him walk through the door, “we're leaving,” she said as he gives a big grin, “and we are going home.” She heads down the hall grabbing Linda closing the door. “Grab a suitcase dear say goodbye to this room. Then after that, you and I are going for a ride too pick up Danny and then I have a little surprise.” Grandma said as she tossed her clothes into the suitcase. Jim quickly loads his mother things out to the car with a grin on his face. “Now Jim,” seeing Linda nicely dressed, “when we get back I want you and the girls packed and ready to leave.” She said as they hop into the car leaving him standing there, pulling out of the driveway and head towards the farm.


Jim yells down the road, "MOTHER!” but all he gets is dust in his face.

 

* * *

 


Wayne, Martha walked into the house slowly gathering strength for the day as everyone gathers around the breakfast table. Aunty M passes everyone gleefully giving all the boys a kiss on the heads sitting down. Pa looked at each of the boys and clears his throat, “I have an announcement,” he said as glanced at Ma, but Ma wasn't smiling; Pa nods goes on. “It is a custom in our family to welcome our guest and one has slipped under my nose,” as he rubbed Teddy’s hair. “What's worse boys it has come to my attention that he is now one of your brothers,” as he laughed, walking over picking him up tossing him in the air to listen too him squeal. Robert, Will, and EJ laugh getting up hobbling over giving him knucklehead squeeze.


“Pa we knew that, but thanks for telling us.” They said. Sisters each tickled him hugging the stuffing right out of him.


Pa looked surprised, “oh you did, why didn't you say something?” He asked.


They just laughed. Ma broke a smile, “because there's always room for more right boys?” As she winked back at the children.


“Right Ma,” everyone said in unison.


Pa wiped a tear from his eye and placed his hands on Danny shoulder whispers, “right” nods his head, clears his throat again than nods to Richard. “Now we knew the day was to coming and it has.” He said as he stands over by Danny and EJ whispered, “its time for you to go home son.” Pa said as he wraps his arms around both of them and Ma joins them with the rest of the family.


Then left the two alone to say goodbye while they waited for Grandma to get here. Danny wraps his little arms around his brother's neck gives him a big hug and kiss on the cheek. “I'll be back in two weeks you wait and see, plus there's school EJ,” he said. As they both laugh Ma, Pa knowing it is just not the same thing. Danny trying figure out why everyone is so sad, “Silly grown-ups giving all these hugs,” rolled his eyes EJ smiles watching his little brother with amazement wondering if he really knew what was going on. He probably wouldn't be so calm and was glad he didn't know and reached over gives one more hug and kiss on the cheek anyway and tickles him just because he felt like it.


Ma and Pa wiping a tear from their eyes looked away.  Ma wiped her tears gives him another hug. “Finish you are breakfast before Grandma gets here,” she said kisses him on the head.


Pa rubbed his head pokes him in the ribs watch him giggle slaps another piece meat on his plate just to make sure. Tells Ma, “Ma she can just wait outside till he finishes it all,” and nods, “I have a starving boy to feed,” he said. Danny thinking we are all crazy, but we did not care, not this day.


It wasn't too long before a car came driving down the road pulled into the farm. “You there, who goes there,” Granny pointing her two barrel shotgun at the two women in the car.


“Grandma Stuart that's who, where's the Sheriff?”


“Oh, you want the Sheriff… what fer?” Pointing the shotgun at Grandma Stuart? “Make it quick like or I'll fill ya full lead,”  Granny said.


Ned ran towards the house, “Sheriff,” Ned pointing to the car. Pa, he didn't' now to laugh or to cry.


“Alright let them through,” as he stands by the doorway waving at Granny with his hat.


Martha standing by Pa, “maybe we could let Granny shoot her why she got the chance.” Ma said.


Wayne whispered back, “I would if I knew it was loaded.” They pulled up to the house Grandma tells her to wait by the car; she would not listen as usual and pushed herself into the house. EJ sees her and hobbles behind Pa and Ma’s back, then stepping further into the room. “Sorry, Linda,” overstepping the path Grandma sidesteps her shaking a finger, “you promised.”  Grandma said walked her back outside the house, “he's fine Linda that's all you need to know,” she said.


Richard brings out Danny and hands Danny to her and gives his mother a kiss whispered that “he doesn't know,” she nods gives Richards a kiss. “Thanks, Richard you know where I'll be if you need me,” she said.


“Yes mother, goodbye Danny see you at school,” giving his mother a wink rubbed his head. Then opens the door for Linda leans forward to remind her, “I'll be watching Danny closely you count on it,” he said. Gives her a wink shuts the door and waved her goodbye. Danny and Grandma wave goodbye head back to the house.


Jim, of course, is not packed was waiting for an explanation as his mother loads them all in the car. Drives them all to her house packed or not she was not waiting for any more excuses. There were no more doors to close or slam or rooms to hide in as she registers all the kids for school, including Danny. Keeping her promise for him to be back at the farm in two weeks if his mother liked it or not and she did not.


The Downing family watched little Danny leave the farm, it was a sad day for them all. No matter how hard they tried to go on about their work on the farm, it seemed so empty without him. Ma was hoping with another little boy would help fill the gap. Sam would not be alone and would not be as hard. Every time she heard the laughter of a little boy or little boy crying she would look for Danny and he wasn't there and it would break her heart knowing she couldn’t hug him one more time. Yet at the same time, she knew he was all right because Grandma was with him and watching every move; They would make, making sure he was all right. 


Ma gazing over at EJ, she knew right then what to do, she pulled back her shoulders. “His mine, she can't have him,” marches right over there placed her arms around him, bending down kisses his cheek and smiles, ”this one I am going to keep if I have to fight you for him and I will,” wiped a tear from her eye. “EJ you look pecked son are you sure you are all right?” She asked.


“Yes Ma I'm fine,” EJ sighed. Gives him kiss on the head checking his stitches to make sure as EJ shakes his head, “I told you I was fine Ma,” he sighed.


The Sheriff and the boys looked over the charts and rosters of the day, Pa was proud of his boys on what they have completed so far. “Boys it has come to my attention that there are more still coming,” Sheriff said looking outwards towards the farm down towards Downing Villa. He shrugged his shoulders looked at the spot where the house was to be built that hasn't yet been started. The wood still piled in the corner to build it. “Boys I'm left with two choices; One: turn them away and start building the house; Second: fall and winters is coming to build tent barracks and beds for them to stay in.” Pa gazing up at Martha and the boy's as he paced up and down running his fingers through his hair. “Our community needs good farming folks like these, would be strong for it, but there's our family too. What do we sacrifice?” He asked as he looked at Martha.


Martha smiles walked over with her boy's, “Pa we sacrifice nothing, but pride and some land,” they said giving him a hug and a kiss, “there's always room for more. We will just make due as we have always done before. Put up the tepee, open up the barn,” she said as she laughed, “there's always corner at the farm. Right boys?” She said.


“Right Ma.”


“With a tear in his eye choked voice yells, “men,” shoving them out the door, “let’s get cracken,” grabbing his pencil and pad and charts heads for the table. “Men go round them up on the rosters, every last one of them lets get them  feed dressed and ready to work in 1 hour, right here waiting for my orders.”


“Yes sir, Sheriff Sir.”


“Minus one because you will be in school, sorry Robert,” he said.


Yes Pa,” he replied.


“Doing a class project in the barn,” he chuckled, “with EJ and Will building bunk beds for the men and the children stuffing pillows and sewing sheets for the beds,” he replied.



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

68 Views
Added on February 13, 2019
Last Updated on January 17, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep