Chapter 9-1

Chapter 9-1

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 9-1

Pa hurry’s back with him in Ma's lap the kids in the back. She was not taking any chances of him bouncing around until Doc can take look at him from top to bottom. Pa flying down the road Ma yelling, “don't spare the horse mind the ruts, but let's get there all in one piece dear,” she said while holding EJ’s head against her chest. Pa stops pulls in front of the farm gate. The door already swung open Granny waving them in pointing the way as she cleared everyone away and the hallway as Pa lefts him out of the pickup. Carries EJ back down the hall where Doc was waiting there for first time with his bag open and the bed turned down.

Martha and the boys closed the door as Pa lays EJ in the bed. “Alright, Martha let’s see what we got here.” Doc puffing his mustache twitched muttering under his breath “and to think this time we did set up shop across town, we still weren't close enough,” as he stomps around the room. “I just don't get it?” Doc looking at all the stitches, “not one of them is out of place. In fact, we can take this one out and these small ones should have been gone last week.” As he wiped his face, “kinda pecked, has he been eaten enough Martha?” 

Martha nods, “yes Doc,” with tears in her eyes.

“Kinda yellow round those...”EYES” Martha this kid is sick I mean sick, Influenza Martha or maybe yellow fever.”  Doc said taking another listen to his chest “Tsk, Tsk” shakes his head closed his bag covers him back up. “This house is now on lockdown.  I want every child that he has been in contact seen "NOW!!” Get Doc Whitmore. Nobody comes near him without seeing me first. Now move it, Wayne, boys get comfy… you are not leaving either. Wayne out, since me you haven't been here long enough yet,” pushing Wayne and heading towards the door. “Martha sorry dear will bring a cot in for you for now,” he said sitting her in a chair closing the door. 

“Ned go get Richard it’s an order.” Doc said as Doc smiles rubbing his sides.” As he walked out the door, grabbing Wayne and Ned by the shoulders. 

Martha stares at them, “but I feel fine Doc,” she said.

“Don't argue with me Martha or you, Will, Robert get in those beds and stay there,” he said. Wayne, I want you to lock this door nobody and I mean it nobody is allowed in or out of this room unless you or I give permission is that clear?” He said.

“Yes, Doc,” Wayne said.

“Good, because looks like we're locking down the farm and this house and we're not going let anyone in either.” He said puffing air out of his mouth making his mustache twitch. Seeing Martha and boys worried, scared faces, “I just want to make sure Martha that's all,” Doc said putting his hand on her shoulder looking at EJ and the boys. 

They nod, “alright Doc well stay put,” as Ma wiped the sweat on EJ's head tucks the three boys into bed and closed the door as she sits in the chair with them. 

Ma turned to the boys Will and Robert, “it will be alright,” wiping a tear from her eye then looks out the window towards the farm. Wayne and the Doc lock the door behind them posting a note do not open quarantined.

“Wayne I want you clear everyone out of this house meet me in the yard,” he replied as he looked towards the boy's room, “we have work to do son,” he said as he sighed tiredly heads towards the door. Pushing people out as he goes grabbing Aunty M by the arm, “I need you everyone attention and I need you to block all incoming and out-coming traffic to the farm right this second,” he replied.

Aunty M stands on top of wagon shoots off her gun that's scares all the chickens and both roosters with a "thud" to the ground then with shrill whistle you could hear pin drop on the farm. Doc uncovering his ears, “thanks” and nods turn the time over to the Sheriff.

“I hereby declare Downing farm locked until further notice… please line up and be counted and signed in,” he said as he watched the Deputies close the gate of the farm locking everyone in. “You will be required to be seen by the Doctor before coming and going into the house and on the farm starting now folks so get comfy house cleaning time,” he said “starting with me Doc and my boys,” Wayne said.

“Sorry Wayne, not this time,” Doc said gazing about the farm, “I need you,” handing him a list, “you and your boys first to set up then we will look you over, but then I go first in line this time”, Doc said laughing. “Now then where is that boy of yours Ned Granny?” Doc asked feeling his sides.

Richard comes dashing through the gate just like Doc on horseback all trussed up, “you called Doc as promised. He said he would come when he was finished. So I wrestled him up, I guessed he was finished,” Ned said taking the handkerchief untying it from his mouth, “where would like him Doc?” Ned asked.

Wayne laughed opens the door, “Yes sir,” Walked him down the hall put him the room with the rest of the boys closed the door re-locks it. Will and Robert seeing Richard all trussed up like a Thanksgiving turkey, laugh, “don't sweat the small stuff,” just help him to bed. 

Richard looks over at EJ still sleeping and little bit gray, “Mrs. Downing what did the Doc say?” He asked.

“He thinks could be influenza or yellow fever not sure yet,” wiping a tear from her eye, “but I think just could something else and he and us will be ok, but for now just get some rest Richard,” she said.

“Yes Ma’am.” as she wiped the sweat off his face and tucks Richard into bed with the rest of her boys kisses his cheek. “You do feel a little warm dear are sure your ok?” She asked.

Wayne handing Ned a shotgun making sure not let anybody through that gate sends off another rider to fetch Doc Whitmore at Downing Villa through the gate telling him shot first to ask question later, changing his mind tells him have Granny ask the question he can shoot them while she asked the question. 

Putting a smile on her face, “thanks Sheriff for that, I might give up my moonshine,” she said as she gives her grandson a kiss and does a jig.

Doctor Whitmore and his rider right behind him the Doc's dress blowing in the wind. Be careful Doc you’re a little bit high center there as the ladies whistle and wave as he goes by. Is he wearing spotted leopard underwear? Trying not to look at his gown riding up past the knees. “What's the meaning of this?” He asked seeing the farm locked up tighter than a drum. “Have you completely lost you mind Doc?” Doc Whitmore said looking at all men surrounding the farm pointing shotguns bearing down on him. 

“Nope, we are under quarantine Doctor Whitmore.” Granny pulling his arm through gate shoving him towards the house, Granny looked at Ned smiling, “can we shoot him now? He crossed the line, I saw him. Him and his dress of his, I always wanted a new set of curtains for my living room Ned,” she replied.

“No Granny we need him I'm afraid, maybe he'll give you a set instead? Right, Doc?”  Ned said pointing the gun at his dress.

Wayne laughed slaps Granny on the back, “Martha will make you some I promise,” he said,

Granny gives him hug, “Thanks Sheriffs; alright Ned he goes.”

Doc leads Doc Whitmore into the house and down the hall explains as they went.  “Hmm, I see,” shaking his head re-examine EJ sleeping in the bed listening to his heart and chest checking him out from head to toe. “Doc you are right I am afraid looking at those eyes he defiantly sick, really sick and contagious too,” looking at Richard and the rest of the boys now just showing signs, but not as severe yet. “Could be just the flu Martha or influenza or yellow fever not sure yet the next 48 hours we will know more, but for right now boys you are not going anywhere I am afraid, make yourselves comfy,” he said as he backs away out of the room shoving and asking who else been with them longest last few days.

Martha and the boy's looked crest have fallen, but looking at EJ sleeping and lying in bed and Ma wiping her tears in the chair holding his hand. “Yes, Doc well stay put as you say.” Then shoving Wayne out of the room and Ned out in the hall with Doc.

Doc telling Martha and the boys “I'll be right back,” gently as he can walk down the hall. Taking a mask out of his bag, “Doc you need to call the hospital call my nurse's relay a message, just say code Red Downing Farm asp make it snappy.”

“Wayne I am glad you clear everyone out of this house from top to bottom, but meet me outside for a meeting. Then I want you to lock this place tighter than a string on tight rope cable, no one leaves without being seen at least by me or Doc until we're satisfied. Then I want this place scrubbed, scoured, clean, right down to all the animals, insects, shot, shoed, vaccinated, human, none, two leg, four, three, no legs, if breathing, has a heartbeat checked…Now move it we have worked to do,” he replied.

Doc Hatfield on the phone calling Doctor Whitmore's hospitals relaying the message that really made them hop for they were at the farm within the hour the vets showing soon after. Things on the farm started to fly quickly as Wayne shoved people outside the door grabbing Doc Hatfield by the collar. “Let’s go Doc I believe that includes us,” closing the door behind him. Seeing Aunty M whispering in her ear that we need to get things started she quieted things down as we bring things to order. She hopped on a wagon fired two shots in the air scared all chickens and both roosters with a "thud" as they fainted to the ground then with a shrill whistle Doc covered his ears as she laughed, “hows that's Doc?” and winked. Yells, “Doc Whitmore they are all yours,” Aunty M pointing to the crowd below.

“Folks as of this moment I agree with Doctor Hatfield that this farm is under quarantine and under lockdown on the order's of the Sheriffs pleases sign in and line up to be seen by the Doctor's Hatfield and myself. “

Doctors tent went up quicker than lightning as the nurses arrived. While Doc and Wayne checked in the supplies soon as they were ready people lined up starting with the boys with Martha right behind them. Nurses scrubbed every inch of their very lives. While the women scrubbed and scoured their room tell every speck of dirt would dare scream “help Oh my” then tucked them safely back into their bed locking the door with four boy's in their room and their mother on a nice comfy mattress, she refused to sleep in another room without her boys even thou she was fine. Even Richard didn't seem to mind he said. “Why sweat the small stuff.” As Martha tucks him into bed wiped the sweat of his head gently kiss his cheek.

On the outside of the farm, things were hustling and bustling about the farm. Vets were looking at all the animals examine every last one. The roosters gleamed with shining feathers. Mad as all heck as they stick them with a needle and put them in a nice soup pot, of soap and water scrubbing them down to their toes and beaks.  Putting them in nice clean cages to dry until their nice clean pins of fresh straw was ready stamped OK as they went back into their pins mad but ok.

Some chickens end up not as lucky as they were hauled way to let’s say to retire as some would say dinner, but not on the Downing Farm no way. Aunty M and Granny signed a treaty with them. Stating that “these chicken would be not be killed in any way from this farm. They were shipped to a retirement home to live out chicken days there on Aunty M farm with an old Mr. Rooster she knows and few extra granny chickens hooked on moonshine. They will be just fine to live out their days, setting them each on the train on the clean straw of hay. Stamped “OK” by Aunty M and Granny with a note for Marty tacked on their pin.

Washerwoman scrubbed the house top to bottom while Docs examined everyone on the farm. Aunty M and girls pacing making a list of items as the nurses delivered to the boys in the room. Docs were puzzled as they paced up down the hall there was no sign, no change in EJ or the boys who soon joined EJ in that crucial 48 hours. It was if they were just sleeping and he could not figure out what was wrong as the day went by hour by hour. Martha keeping watch over her sleeping boys whispered “at least they are all together,” and sighs looking down upon their pale white faces then watched out the window of her farm.

What was taking places only one person in the dark corners of the shadows knew as he walked the halls of the house whispering in Aunty M ear?  “Margaret the boys are safe and in my care for the moment,” as she worries, pacing up down the halls. She feels the dark shadows against her skin as she watched the corner sees the shape heading for her room. She glanced at the boy's closed and locked room then heirs, where the figure abides, welcomes to join him. Treading lightly down the hall she merely pauses, but a moment entering the door closes behind her, locking her in.

The figure looks up and removes his hood. “Let me introduce myself as I'm sickness and health, some call me the black plague or simply Death in disguise some call me Mr. Golden Eyes. What, you thought you already meet him?” As he laughed “There are more us of out there then you know dear, please have seat. Now that I have your attention you have nothing to fear it's not you or your time. You still have work to do and I'm not the one that takes you. Unlike my brother, I'd offered you some Joe, but I feel it’s not to be in your best interest if you know what I mean,” as he grins.

“I too have a favor more of a request really as he pulled up a chair in the room. Margaret just watched and stood there. “You see it has been a long time since I've had any fun and a bride of my own,” the figure looking sad and sorrowful. “I was thinking that now is the time. Yes, you are the one I am told that could help me solve this problem for me and I'd be in your debt, call it IOU if you like,” he said as they watched the shadows on the wall.

“Now I'll tell you up front the person I wed and they will live and I’ll say and will know the existence of me, but still be willing to give everything to live a long and happy life. She will be happy that I will guarantee with children and grandchildren at her side. “Like my brother, I am too am watching and grooming someone and he or she is my care, sorry it’s a secret and rules you know,” as he grins. “All I want you to do is invite me to this little a party of yours and I'll help the best I can,” as he paused just for a moment as if looking into the future. “I can tell you this dear, be prepared to hunker down, for a storm dear, more are coming this way and the word is out. 

“For remember bleakness' and sickness you can find strength and that's where you'll find me. Light and Shadow are one and the same. So don't run, don't scream, embrace the fear for is the strength and light you seek as I wrap you in my arms and guide you, carry you swiftly to distant shores.” He said as he fades into nothing whispered. “Save a dance for me, Margaret.”

Aunty M stares at the spot where the shadow dissipated gasping leaving her cold and empty and numb rubbing her arms, she quickly leaves the room, heads back down the hall towards the boys room, glancing at the locked door and paused wondering hearing slight whispers, “yes it was me they will be ok, let them rest except for one, he is still in need.” Aunty M watched the darkness leave the room, under the door, heading down the hall out the front door. Hearing someone scream as someone has just died on the spot for no reason as Aunty M hearing laughter in the wind, “his time was up” and takes five more before leaving down the road just for fun.

Aunty M yelling, “Ned go find the Sheriff we need to talk,” while she makes a pot Joe making it extra strong with her hands a shaking, as she looked towards the hall. “Yes, sir it going to be a long Farmers picnic,” shaking her head. “Mike I don't think you would like this.” 

She hears a whisper in her ear, “don't sweat the small stuff, you take what you can get” as a figure in the corner gives her nod and fads.

“Aunty M did you want to see me?” Wayne asked.

“Yes Wayne, I did,” Aunty M looking towards the hall, “we need start cracken,” she said.

“Are you out of your freaking mind Aunty M? My boys are all sick and the farm is on lockdown we are all scattered from here to breakfast,” he replied.

“I know that Wayne,” she said pouring herself a cup of Joe and him a cup as well.

“You know I don't drink that stuff, a little bit too strong for me,” he said.

“Fine Wayne,” pats his shoulder, “let me tell what I know then you decided if we need to get to work or not.” Aunty M looked around the room then tells her little tale. The Same one she told Martha and now the one that just happened a couple of minutes ago. Watching him empty his cup pouring him another with his knees hands shaking just a little and when the screen door bumped closed when Doc Hatfield came in busting through it, noting 3 more people dead in his ear making a total of eight. 

“Wayne I didn't know you drank old Joe,” slapping him on the back Doc pouring himself a cup. 

“I do now,” Wayne said gazing over at Aunty M then looked towards that hall. “Your right let’s get cracken.” Nodding to Aunty M, grabbing Doc by the arm, “let’s go check on my boys and Aunty M round them up we have worked to do daylights a burning.” Wayne downing another cup of Joe headed down the hall with Doc in tow thinking he fell out of a tree.

Robert, Will, and Richard are just waking up from their long sleep as Ma wiped their faces, trying to figure out what's going on. First, they were sicker than a dog now they seem better except for one. Doc and Wayne opening and unlock the door to the boy's room seeing the boys waking up except for one. Martha staring at them in disbelief, “Doc I don't know what's going on,” she said looking at her boys trying to keep them in bed. 

Wayne went over sits next EJ on his bed shaking his head wipes the sweat off his head. “Martha, boys might as well get comfy you are not leaving so might as well stay in those beds,” Pa said.

“But Pa we feel fine,” the boys answered back glanced down at EJ still asleep, “besides he told us to get busy, there’s a storm coming and you need us. He is waiting for someone,” the boys said pointing to EJ in the bed.

Martha looked at them as they all lost their marbles, but didn't shake her husband any, “not this time boys.” Wayne closed the door behind them makes the boys get back into bed, “just for me please, one more day for my sake and your mothers,” he said as they sigh with a nod of their head.

“Yes Pa, and Yes sir.” Let’s Ma tuck them back into bed why he told them all the story What Aunty M that mostly Martha knew except the last part as she drinks shaking her lemon stiff tea. Doc and the boys gasped as they looked EJ and around the room, under the beds in dark corners of the room. 

“Pa mind turning on the light for a while when you leave the room please,” The boys said. Richard placed the dresser against the closet door as the boys nodding their approval. Ma didn't say a word as she drinks her stiff tea watching EJ. Pa and the Doc wonder if they should still lock the door or just close it. Decide to give Martha the key to let her decide. Walked down the hall all they heard was "CLICK" from the door muffled noise, “thanks Ma,” as she went back to her chair to watch the farm with a careful eye. Its good thing Doc and Pa have a spare, but all they really need to do is knock to get in, hoping she and the boys would let them in.

Aunty M finished rounding up the boys in front of the yard as requested by the Sheriff. “Alright, Sheriff their all yours.”

Sheriff paced in front of the house trying to shake the chill as he looks over at Aunty M, “Boys,” he said walking up down the line, “let’s say we get to work instead stewing around here,” as he pulled out his charts. “We have work that needs to be doing and it can't wait. I have looked at my boys and they're doing just fine and resting comfortably, so it is up us to go on without them for now, let them join us later.

“Now I think we can still work and still be on lockdown,” Wayne said turning to the Docs. “They assure me you will be checked twice a day with all the nurses to make sure you will not have any problems that we can't deal with it and deal with it straight away. So what do you say? Ye haw let’s do it, boys.”  As they fire their guns in the air "Bang" scaring all the chickens "thud" fainting roosters on the ground, back in the soap and water to get another bath, poor Mr. Rooster and his friend Mr. Tom Rooster. Granny opens the gate lets the boys out towards the fields.

It was an odd looking group as they sign in and at the roster because they also had to sign back in to get back into the farm. That was the rules, not to go anywhere near Downing Villa without an escort or you had to be scrubbed clean to go back to work preventing anything get past the farm known as the clean zone. Not that there was anything wrong with Downing Villa,  just they couldn't take any chance of late with all the coming in and all, until the lockdown was over. They placed guards in around the place in both territories keeping the peace so nobody went without. That was another reason why they need to get working on the New Downing Villa because Cracken and Downing Villa was getting overcrowded and the weather was starting to turn.

The Sheriff was amazed at how fast these barrack huts went up. They held 60 people easily comfortably. The problem was mattress, pillows, and cloth. They now had estimated 600 and climbing people in New Downing Villa and Cracken Villa and more where coming he was told. The boys and he made a shabby list of things that need to be built for this 300 acres to help them through. At least 25 barracks or more had to be built plus A
    Dance hall
    Cooking area
    Shopping trade center
    School
    Smithy
    Work and Wood-shop
    Courthouse (Judge, Sheriff, Doc,) office
    Post office
    Large Stable
Other stores could be an add-on later if the weather holds, but this should get them started they figured and on their way. Lucky for them the railroad tracks where nearby, haven't been used for quite some time. Aunty M thinks that she might be able to set up a trading route from an old friend she knows to get them back online and get some of the stuff quicker. Let’s hope so, I feel the winds are starting to blow watching the autumn leaves turn color. 


© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

66 Views
Added on February 13, 2019
Last Updated on January 17, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep