Chapter 12

Chapter 12

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 12


Driving toward the top of the canyon you could smell the pine trees, cedar, and the aspen as the wind blew through their hair. "Look boy's snow over there,” Aunty M said as she points to the west on the mountains and taking a whiff of the air. The boy’s almost crests falling yet excited at the same time knowing that winters were upon the horizon.


The only one that wasn't all that excited was EJ, he hated winter. The cold, the snow, he could do without it, makes it hard for walking when trying to get away. Words always come to mind remembering the past. “I'll toss you in a snow bank you little brat.” Bad memories of him being left outside alone in the freezing cold for hours at a time and feelings he assumed he would rather forget. No, he hated winter and the snow. The pine did smell good coming down from the mountains as the boy's leaned over to take a whiff, to take in the fresh air. They turned left off a dirt road headed east they thought. A person could get lost up here looking at all these trees, surprising the birds knew where to go.


The pickup dove deeper and deeper into the forest it was if it swallowed them whole. Finally, after a while, there was clearing up ahead and a large gate with sign overhead “Mike’s Cotwellar Lumber Mill.” Cut sign carved from an old tree… rustic, but homely as Aunty M wipes and dot's her eye as a man greets them at the gate. “We didn't have the heart to take it down after…” He said swallows “after he lefts us,” the man replied.


Aunty M understood and nods, “that's fine boys, is everything ready?” She asked.


“Yes Ma’am,” the man at the gate replied.


“Then let’s get cracken.” Aunty M replied.


They pulled up to the main office and parked the pickup. Than meet everyone standing to wait as the whistle blew. Everyone came running to the meeting at once. 25 men loggers all built husky like Pa. Long arms and strong hands, tall, strong as tree trunks. Some EJ wondered if they were trees themselves. “Boys,” Aunty M standing at the head, “this is Wayne Downing and his boys Robert, Will, EJ, and Richard. As of today Wayne Downing and his boys are the sole owners of this here Lumber Mill.”  Aunty M said taking the letter out of her purse with all their names on it.


“You now work for them as you did for my husband Mike. So let’s get cracken we have lots of work to do boys.” She said as they slapped all the boys hard on the back knocking the wind right out them. Expect Aunty M wouldn't' let them touch EJ instead she just kissed him until he couldn't breathe. They squeezed his hand and pumped his arm until it was going to come right out of his socket.


Wayne and the boys shocked looking at the letter where its say’s owner. “I thought you said 15% Aunty M?” Wayne said reading the note again.


“I did dear this is 15%,” she laughed taking his arm.


“Boys, now then we need to find you some clothes so you can get to work,” she said snapping Roberts’s overalls. “These won't do out here boys, no sir and neither will these,” pointing to EJ's shoes. “Now the boys have your room's setup over there and yu'll find what you need on your beds,” giving them each a swift kick for each and a little nudge for one, “now git.”


“Yes, Ma’am.”


Wayne turns. “But what about Martha?” He asked


“Oh, she'll be fine everything's been arranged days ago,” laughing with another swift kick.


“Alright, alright we're moving,” he said.


Pa and the boys enter the log cabin seeing beds where all the men slept. It resembles something like down in Cracken Villa except families are grouped together. Log cabins nice and sturdy with couple potbelly stoves in the middle for warmth and heating up pots of old Joe, heck there was a place in the middle with rope to hang up long underwear and socks. There were foot lockers at the end of the beds to store personal keepsake and little night cubby hole to place a picture on by the bed.


On the beds, Pa and the boy's found a name pinned on the pile of each bed. Four pair's of long underwear, 5 loggers shirts, 5 pairs of jeans, 7, pairs thick logger socks, 2 pairs of logger steel-toed boots which when you picked them up felt like lifting a sack of floor. “Pa why do you think we need so many clothes?”  Boys asked looking at the pile.


Pa shrugged his shoulders, “I don't know boys,” he replied.


Marty walked into the room to check on them. “What's taking you guys so long?” looking at our pile laughing sitting on his bed, opened his own foot looker pulling out his gear and changing his boots. “Trust me, boys, these will come in handy,” as he drops them with a hard thud onto the floor. “So hurry now, times wastin we have trees that need ya, well, I’d spoil all the fun. Let's get cracken.”


The boys hurried changed their clothes putting their spare clothes in the foot looker headed out to join Marty and Aunty M and the boys. Aunty M was dressed just like a logger like the rest except for her brown cowgirl hat. “Well, it’s about time you joined us. Are you ready for some real work?” Aunty M said looking at the Robert and Will, Aunty M glances over at EJ and his crutches. “Looks like we're going to need a special job for you.” Aunty M said looking around the area then with a loud whistle from her, a small wagon with a horse comes out. “Yep that should do it,” she said winking at Wayne. “Just the right size to for haulen timber, pullen deliveren new sprigs I would say.”


The little wagon with driver comes up to where the boys are Aunty M introduces him “Bill this EJ. I want you to teach him how to drive this here wagon and have him help you with your job.” She said as Aunty M sets him on the seat right next to Bill throwing the crutches in the back of the wagon pats him on the back and smiles.


Bill was an older gentles man and smaller than the rest of the lumberjacks. His face covered mostly with a white beard and that you barely saw his noses. His long white bushy eyebrows and bright blue eyes twinkled as he smiled at you, His hand and face rough with age and warm with admiration.


Pa leans down close to EJ’s ear, “have fun and be careful, we promise not to tell Ma,” as Bill's hands EJ the reins. EJ flicks with his wrist, the horse jumps with a hard start jumping into the air, starts to gallop hard towards trees the around a circle, the wheels weaving side too side.


Bill and EJ's face turned white as they make the turn again weaving into the trees the horse galloping out of control as they fly over a bump. So do they leaving their seats in the air, swerving to the sided and down again they start to even out to more clipped clop back down the road towards Pa, Aunty M and the boys, Pa wiping the sweat from his face seeing EJ safe and sound laughing?


Bill just a little shaken up as they pulled up to them. Will, Robert and Richard laughing as they pat EJ on the back for a job well done. Will and Robert hop in the back of the wagon. Aunty M gives Wayne a nudge “I told he’d be able to do it. Heck, I was younger than him when I drove my first one and look how I turned out,” she said.


Wayne laughed slapping her on the back, “that's what we are afraid of, but we like it all the same.”  Pa glanced over at EJ and the boys. “Alright, boys go on, have fun, their work to be done and daylights burnen.” He said. EJ flicked with his wrist the horse jumps with a hard start jumping in the air starts to gallop towards the trees around and the bend. This time they all hanged on tight Including Bill, laughing as EJ learns that if he pulls back here just like this “ahh that's better,” clipped clop, clipped clop. They go down the road following the trees down the dirt road.


The boys with Bill with EJ driving the wagon planted little trees and pulled logs onto the road for the older men to pick up with their trucks, to hall to the mill to be processed. Pa, Richard and they were doing something completely different. “Marty, what are you doing clear up there?” Wayne said as he looks at this huge tree looking up blocking the sun out of his eyes. Someone yells, “TIMBER!” Then a loud cracking noise is heard all around them and a loud "CRASH!" as Marty slides and jump down the tree laughing.


Wayne I hope you are not afraid of heights,” handing him the belt, “because the next tree is all yours.”


“You’re joking?” Wayne said looking up at the tree and swallowing hard...


Nope,” Marty said slapping him a hard on the back with a slight push, “get cracken.”


“You can do it with those big arms of yours,” Aunty M said rubbing his arms and hands laughing. Wayne takes another look and swallows hard, swings the belt around the tree. After a couple of tries he was on his way up to the spot where the mark was, planting his feet in the holes against the tree.  He starts chopping away than hearing it start to crack, and pop he yells, “TIMBER!” Shimming down that tree fast as he can before it falls as everyone laughs, patting him on the back watching the tree crash to the ground below.


Wayne hands the belt over to Richard as Marty points and marks his tree. Richard watches and swallows hard as noticed how high it is. “Wayne whispers just don't look down.” in his ear, “you'll be fine.”


“Right now it's looking up is the problem,” he said feeling his knees shake and wondering if this is such a good idea.


Marty could tell he was going need a little extra help so he creates a distraction by tying the belt on for him and they would climb the tree together. “The first one at the top gets to choose the next tree… One, two three. GO.” Both of them start flying up the tree as fast they can to the spot. Of course, Marty lost by hair or one loop as he smiles down, says “he must be getting old,” giving Wayne and Aunty M a wink.


They chop the tree until it starts to crack Richard yells, “TIMBER!” Shimmies down the tree, leaving Marty up there shaking his head at the fools on the ground. Marty shimmies down slaps them both on the back, “now you are almost a logger,” he laughed.


Wayne and Richard turn “almost?” Shocked as they looked around “theirs more?”


Aunty M slap them hard,” tons more.” They cut trees all day until the whistle blew telling them it was time for lunch. Everyone hops back on the wagons and trucks heading on in back to camp, signing in at the gate to be counted too make sure nobody got lost along the way. It has happened a time or two that's why they do it plus helps newcomers know their names. Now things here are not the same as it is back at home where the woman folk does all cooken and the chores. There are very few women here, loggers all them they share in all the chores.


Bart was the chef today; a very large man like Pa and every inch of him was pure muscle. His arms and legs looked to be the size of tree trunks. He was tall as a tree, at 6 foot 5 inches we were too guess. Raven black hair cut crew cut short and green eyes with a nose the size of baby carrot you could easily use on a snowman. His face hard as stone and chiseled hard and when he growled it sound likely an angry bear. Yet when he smiled it made you all warm and fuzzy inside and out.


He was serving meatloaf, mash potatoes, and gravy, corn hot biscuit and apple cobbler for dessert. It wasn't much, but the portions would kill ya. If you put it on the plate make sure you have both hands to carry it. The meatloaf was the size of larges fist you could find in the room and masher piled high as the corn biscuit wholly cow, the size you’d think it was a birthday cake, but it was soft, oh it was tender. Ma would die to think she went too heaven after eating this meatloaf. It was amazing how everyone cleaned their plates had room for seconds and thirds, talk about howler legs. Man could these guys put it away and look good doing it.


Pa and the boys had a hard enough time just with the one plate. Apparently, they don't take too kindly too not finishing it all around here because a new guy tried to empty his plate before leaving instead they gave him some more and watched him eat every last bite before letting him leave the table. Bart nods his head in their direction and before going back into the kitchen. Three men come out with aprons sets them on our table. “Its say's here,” Bart said pointing to the roster. “You three have KP duty Will, Robert, and EJ.”


“Your joking?” The boys asked.


“Nope somebody has to wash all these dishes, pots and pans, best get cracken boys.” Crestfallen the boys put on the aprons head into the kitchen, they find EJ a stool to sit him on and the boys wash and he dries the dishes. Why they're doing that Aunty M has Wayne and them help with loading wood on to the trucks and the wagons and while the horses dragged the timber from where they had cut them all that afternoon.



* * *

 


Back down in New Downing Martha was keeping busy herself with the ladies. They were down picking out colors and things for the new house, sewing curtains for the windows. “Ma I'm glad that Aunty M decided to take the boys for the week, but I miss having my brothers," Julie replied.


Ma said, “Julie me to, I do hope EJ’s ok, he should have stayed here with us, but that would have broken his heart. I just hope they are ok,” Ma replied.


“Ma I'm sure their fine, Pa will take care of him so will his brothers. So which color blue or green?” Anna replied.


“Humm, green, yes light blue for the nursery,” she said as they giggled.


“Oh look Ma, Danny, and Grandma are coming; EJ will be so disappointed he didn't get see him.” Watching the car pull up with two women in it one of them was EJ's mother and Grandma and Danny. Danny leaped out of the car running over to Martha, Julie giving them each a big hug then overruns to Sam and Ted. Grandma pulled out his little suitcase, handing it to her coming over gave her hug.


“Sorry about your house dear, just heard the terrible news. Where are the boys?” Grandma asked looking around.


“Gone for the week,” Martha replied whispering handing back her note as she puts it in grandma’s pocket.


“OH! I see well then,” Grandma said looking over at Linda over by the car. “Yes, Linda dear why don't you come in dear so we can all can get acquainted.” Linda and Martha looked at her like she fell out of a tree. Grandma whispers “give a little dear,” gives her nudge.


“Yes Linda,” Martha said walking over to the car, “what wonderful idea, come on in have some tea with me, I won't bite,” she said


Grandma taking her arm leading her into the cottage. Linda looks around the room for her other son then asked in a heated voice, “where's is he? Is he all right?” With tears in her eyes as begins to panic looking around the room and back at Martha.


Grandma hands her a tissue,” he's just fine, he's with the boys and having a good time,” Grandma replied.


Martha updates Grandma of the advents, being very careful what to say. To divulge too much would be harmful to them all so she gives the highlights instead how he's improved, where's he's at the moment, when they plan on coming back, that made their eyes pop. “A lumber camp your joking right?” Grandma replied.


“Nope, Doc said he could go as long he took it slow. His brothers Linda and his Pa I mean Wayne will watch him, they promised not a hair on his head will be harmed. I trust them so should you; now drink your tea and let’s put this silliness behind us now. After all, we're going be seeing each other for a very long time. Don't you think?” She said gazing about the room watching Sam and Danny playing with Ted.


Anna waves at Ned as he heads towards the farm with Bill to do the chores for the Downing's while they're gone. “He's so cute don't you think?” Anna said.


Julie watching Bill as she sighs “ahaaa, yes Anna he is.”


Betty looked over to the girls and smiles shaking her head then listening to a conversation “did you say that Lizzy and Mary are competing for the same guy? When did this happen?” Grandma asked


“Oh, just a few days ago there have been lot’s weddings going on, 6 or 7 a night. Richard has had an eye on couple himself, one he lost got married the next night,” Martha said...


Betty thinking maybe there is hope yet. “Hmmm, Linda… I think I'll.... stay here a bit if you don't mind. Give you and Jim a chance to be alone with the girls for a couple of weeks, see how you do. Then maybe you guys can live without me. Of course, I'd be checking in from time to time, but will see how it goes,” she said.


Linda quickly leaves ecstatic, knowing she not coming back with her, but sad she didn't get see what she was hoping for and leaving Danny once more behind.  She left uneasy giving Danny a hug before leaving waves goodbye, drives down the road towards home to call Jim and tell him to start packing. We are coming home and she not with them, she said over the phone. Opening the house making a shopping list of things they need before returning home with her family. With a click of her heels “the spider is gone, she can keep the fly and the meal. Soon it will be her turn to dance and spin the web thinking of all trouble and heartache she has caused, “its payback time for this spider and I am the queen of the web.”


Martha and Grandma watched her go, nearly as excited to watch her leave. “Now then,” Grandma said, pulling out the note out of her pocket to read. “I want the details dear,” seating back down around the little table in the barracks passing the note back. “Start from the top dear if you wouldn't mind making that tea stronger,” she said.


“Actually Grandma,” she said putting on another pot, “I've got just the thing,” pouring a cup of Joe.


“OH MY!” Dear, I don't drink that stuff,” she said setting it aside.


“Martha laughed “neither did we until...” Martha started to tell some of what's been going on down here. Then went the first cup after Martha gave a full account of the details what's been going on. They nearly drank that entire pot, with a little milk of course with extra water to make it not as strong for Martha. Made sure Grandma took her pills before too many cups.



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

62 Views
Added on February 14, 2019
Last Updated on January 18, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep