Chapter 13

Chapter 13

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 13


They all said goodbye to the boys at the lumber mill as the boys all hoped back into the pickup and headed towards upper parts of Nephi someplace near the desert and open range along a desert road. It seems they traveled forever as she and Marty drove. A person could get lost and die of thirst clear out here. Turning left down an old dirt road the desert swallowed them whole as they reached a ranch with a sign that said Mike's Cotwellar Sheer's & Sheep Ranch. Entering the boys could see sheep scattered everywhere and the noise of Bah, bah, bleating from the fields.


There were five men riding horses approaching the gate to greet them “Howdy y'all," tipping their hats and climbing down from their horses.


“Rodger is everything ready?” Aunty M asked. He was the head boss here on the ranch, He was dressed in old comfortable off color yellow shirt with bank robber necktie around his neck and wearing faded comfortable jeans and boots to match. He had blond hair and blue eyes and looked like John Wayne and Billy the kid. However, his pearly whites said he was far better looking of the two. He had to be at least 6 foot 2 and slim as much as tall. 


Rodger said. “Yes, Ma’am.” Again they all signed in at the gate then head to the main house. But this was no ordinary house, no sir'ery bob this house was huge; the size of a hotel the biggest you could have ever laid your eyes on. With stables on the side and a barn on the other side and hitching post in the front of the house for the horses like in the old west. Including a large corral for horses.


Roger was on the porch ring the bell, something like they had back on the farm, but much bigger and louder as it rang. It echoed throughout the valley, I swear you could hear it for miles around. 10 men come together at the main house with 3 women 4 boys little older than Sam, Ted and Danny. Rogers’s wife Helen steps forward, she was short than him by a mile and reminded  EJ of his mother as to how big she was, they even had the same hairstyle which was uncanny.


The only major difference was her smile and the special twinkle she had in her eye as she introduced her self telling us to call her Ma stating everyone else does including all the ranch hands that work here. The moment you shook hands with her she gripped you into a great big bear hug squeezing the stuffing out of you. She turned to Aunty M asking if she been starving us to death noticing how skinny EJ was, even though he had filled out some due to his Ma’s cooking.


Aunty M at the head of the group yells, “Howdy,” introduce them to all them and pulls out another letter handing it to Pa after reading it with all their names on it, tell them that he is the sole owner of this here Sheep Ranch. Pa looks at her stunned, “I thought you said 15%?” He said.


“Wayne this is” as she laughed slapping on him the back which stated the entire sheep ranch belonged to him and them, not just 15 percent of a business. “Now go inside get changed, we have work to do,” she said giving him another swift kick towards the door to get him moving. Marty leads them up the stairs to their rooms and on the beds sits another pile of clothes for each of them. 3 shirts, 4 pairs of jeans, chaps, a pair of boots, knife, rope, 3 pair of new shorts, belt with buckle and a hat, 4 pairs of socks. Again the boys could not believe their eyes at the pile of clothes on the bed.


They quickly changed into their new duds tipping their hat at each other laughing “Howdy partner,” went downstairs to join the group. The house was huge, it had the main living room with fireplace with dining room off to the side. Pa was admiring the table; it was the largest one they have ever seen in their lifetime. It was made for a king and all of his men including their horses, Ma would love it. “Well, you boys ready to have some real fun?” Aunty M said standing in the main hall in her duds swing her arms around them.


“Yes, Ma’am.”


Outside tide to the hitching post was 3 horse one for each boy a small pony for EJ to ride. “Well, boys don't just stand their gocking we have work to do.” Robert and Will helped EJ onto his pony as Rodger leads the boys out to the corral where there are three stumps planted into the ground. “These are known as practice stumps boys,” Rodger said shows the boys how to use the rope and swing a lasso. Of course, all the boys missed after several attempts and laughing to beat all, but this was just practices for the main event and for the real fun.


“Alright boys,” Rodger said laughing “now let’s see how you do with live bait. I want you to try to catch tonight's dinner.” They never laughed so hard in their entire life. The object of this was each of them was to lasso a pig and hog tie him.


Robert was first; Robert on his horse standing at the ready with the rope in his hand. Rodger at the pig pins gate yelling, “one, two, three, Go.” The gate opens, the pig runs out of the pin. Robert begins to swings the rope over his head making the lasso. Aims for the pig, throw the rope, “Swish” it lands wrapping right around Robert knocking him to the ground into the soft mud. The pig runs right by him oking happily away. Will and EJ laughing so hard they nearly fell off their horses.


Will turn was next; Will on his horse standing at the ready with the rope in his hand. Rodger at the pig pins gate yelling, “one, two, three, Go.” The gate opens, the pig runs out of the pin. Will begins to swings the rope over his head making the lasso. Aims for the pig, throw the rope, “Swish” catches one of the pig's legs pulls Will right off the horse dragging him in the Mud, and the pig gets away. Robert and EJ laughing so hard watching Will come out of the mud. He was covered from head to toe. It hurt so bad to laugh as he wiped the mud from his eyes.


EJ was next; EJ on his horse standing at the ready with the rope in his hand. Rodger at the pig pins gate yelling, “one, two, three, Go.” The gate opens, the pig runs out of the pin. EJ begins to swings the rope over his head making the lasso. Aims for the pig throws the rope, “Swish” His aim was little off as it swings through air lands right around Will and Robert pulling them back down into the mud. “Woops.” Rodger slapping his knee killing over at the sight Yells, “Hog Bait” as the pig runs by them.


The pig won that day, but they still had him for supper. After they got cleaned up there was a couple of them roasting over a spit. The boys headed back out to the carol to practice with lasso before lunch, Pa and Richard come out to join them. Pa was a little better aim then the boys, but Richard let’s just say if the boys were stumps or him he was spot on as Pa and the boys untangle themselves from the ropes around them.


The bell rings for lunch Pa and the boys headed back into the house. It was feast laid before them on this massive table. Fried chicken piled to the moon, potatoes salad, corn on the cob, coleslaw, and fresh garden peas.  Aunty M enters the room and all the men stand and offer her a chair. “Thank you,” she said as she takes a place next to Wayne, “but this will do just fine.”


“Yes Ma’am,” as they slide the chair in for her.


Aunty M clicks the glass with her butter knife brings the table to her attention. “It’s an old custom on this ranch that I would like to continue that Mike started long ago,” as she gazes over at Wayne and the boys.  “That we have the new guests here gives, and opens with a toast.” The boys around the table click their glass “here, here” waiting for Wayne to
say something.


Wayne only pauses for about a moment looking around the table nods before standing. Clicking his glass with his knife “First off I would like to say thank you for being so generous and graces hosts,” he said.


Someone chuckles, “why not, since now you own the place.”


“Yes,” Wayne chuckles “so I've been told,” as he looked over at Aunty M. “Anyway we like to say thank you all say “Howdy” and thanks,” sits down.


Lunch went smoothly onward except Aunty M kept making sure the boy’s plates were full and she was satisfied, “not them,” as they all got enough to eat; “EJ?” Pa said.


“Yes, Pa,” EJ replied Pa looking outside at the horses. As the table was being cleared as we sat on the large couch near the fireplace. Even though we had offered to help, none of them would let them.


“Let’s say we take that pony of yours out for a ride,” Pa said with a wink too Aunty M.


“That's a great idea,” Aunty M said taking the three boys, “I believe there are some sheep that need your attention boys,” she said looking towards the pasture and the barn. “They say,” putting an ear to the wind, “help me, I'm too hot and need coolen,” giving them a swift kick to get them moving.


“Yes Ma’am, but we never.”


“Boys there are lot things you haven't done,” she laughed. “Now git, there's work to be done,” she said.


“Yes, Ma’am” as they climb on to their horse following Rodger and Marty out to the pasture leaving Pa and EJ behind.



* * *

 


Pa helped EJ onto his pony then climbs onto his as they ride off a way's, Pa giving instruction how to ride and how to stay on the horse. Pretty soon he was getting the hang of it just bouncing a little as he rode, but that would come with more experience and time. “EJ?” Pa asked.


“Yes, Pa?” He replied, Pa looking back towards the house. Seeing that they were far enough, finding a good spot to rest and stop. “I think its time we talked don't you, just you and me?” He said helping him down from the horse so he can rest and stretch out a bit, as he tied up the horse to a nearby tree.


“Talk about what Pa?”  EJ asked.


“Well for one thing why you think you needed to run off as you did?” He asked.


EJ stares down the road then looking down at the ground, picking up a stick, drawing shapes of nothing important. “Thinking I was afraid Pa, that's why... I guess that maybe you wouldn't…want me, I'd be too much of a problem with all that's…” EJ paused ....”That's there's something coming Pa,” he replied.


Pa sits next him place his arms around him. “EJ, there is nothing in this world that is more import than having you as part of our family, we all love you son. I think its time you realized that and stop running. And if there is a problem you can always count on us we will face it together. Speaking of problems EJ this is as good time as any,” Pa said looking towards the house fumbling for the right words if there is any. “EJ, remember when that Mr. Wells from social service came by?” He asked Pa paused trying to put this or make this easier. “EJ remember when I said it going be hard on you and us?” He said.


Yes Pa, I remember,” EJ replied how could he forget that nightmare?


“They changed the rules regarding home visits and visitations rights,” Pa said.


“How Pa?” EJ asked looking really worried.


Pa could see it on his face and in his eyes as the fear and panic was returning. “Not to worry son we took precautions and they told us they would not do anything until we or you would be ready. That would be most likely be at least two years before you even have to stay in that home one day without us. Until then everything would be supervised and that's a promise and in meantime, we are still working on processing those papers, providing you still want to go through with it son, if not will work something else out. Because like we said before we love you just the same. Stuart or Downing makes no difference,” giving him hug, rubbing his hair. “Whata say we go find your brothers?” Pa getting up helping him back onto his horse.


“Pa I remembered who that person was, but I can't remember his name,” EJ said.


“Who son?” Pa asked.


“The person in my room that was looking for me…  He's dead now I remember watching him die,” as he leaves Pa standing on his horse.



* * *

 


Morgan pacing his study as he watched the boys through his glass mirror on the wall. “The boys future is changing I must regain control and soon. “How dare Mike and his widow Margaret interfere with our plans and the pathetic fools of the Council of Light? The boy EJ is mine and he must submit to my plans.  The Dark Prince must rise as we take control once more. Force the light into non-existence. For we are the masters of shadow, I must be King of the worlds, the prize is mine.” Morgan said stretches forth his hand across the pages of time.


“Blood of night, the blood of day, come forth as I speak thy name. The power I seek upon the dead, arise and wake I call upon thee in thy name. O Lord of shadow, lord of the forgotten dead. I call upon you this very night. Give me victory give me the power I shall weald fear into the hearts of men. Devastation shall be their fall as we rule upon them.”


“Blood of night, the blood of day, blood I give you, death I partake. I seek upon the throne of shadows for it is thy true light. My master, my lord. My king, I give you everlasting life. “AUS MAY PENTR, Bellgain Milen regforta, Na, sue yan bergal finsaw.  In the Darkness of light, I break the chains that bind. I call forth the unholy; My Master My King. Arise.”


Morgan standing at the gates of hell of the underground upon the skull bone gate prison where the Council of Light has placed his master Hess over 200 centuries ago; it shatters as the spell is read and the words echo.


Lightning flashed about the room as Morgan raises his hands reading from the book of shadows of Onray. The air is thick and black pits of lava bubbling about them as thick fog rolls and the wind blows cold through the twisted thorn trees as the sky darkens. The moon turns to blood as the wolves howl, the shadows of hell where the King of the dead awaits, smiles upon Morgan as he rises.


He stretches forth his hand, eyes piercing green, his cold baited breath, spreading blood of unborn child upon the altar of death he had stolen from pathetic barmaid on EJ’s world who had given her very soul and her life to serve him as he slits belly open listening to her scream as she bleeds out as he cuts her unborn child out; and offers him to his master. The moment he cuts out the child's hearts and burns it on the altar he reads the rest of the of the spell.


Blood of night, the blood of day, blood I give you, death I partake. I seek upon the throne of shadows for it is thy true light. My master, my lord. My king, I give you everlasting life. “AUS MAY PENTR, Bellgain Milen regforta, Na, sue yan bergal finsaw.  In the Darkness of light, I break the chains that bind. I call forth the unholy; My Master My King. Arise.”


Morgan kneels before the spirit of his master Hess as repeats the spell watching him take on the flesh of the child and gives him life. He slowly and painful ages to as the wind of from the spell grows wild like spinning tornado, burning in blue fire and dissipates once he has reached maturity. He then calls forth Morgan to knell before him as he places his black bone staff upon his shoulders.  Morgan can sense the power surging in him. Morgan screams in pain as his heart is ripped from his chest placed upon the altar, watching it beat with new life and new purpose. Shadow king laughs as the room grows dark. Morgan is now his forever.


Mr. Barns, Mr. Barns was wispy kinda guy short with white hair or what little was left on his head. That was more of a patchwork quilt. His eyes were black as coal that matched his pointed beck nose he had a face similar to old crow. When he talked his voice sounded like a rough low growl, his hands felt cold as ice when you shook his hand, it made you feel dirty and cold; In EJ’s world he in disguise as family service caseworker. It gave him purpose as well as giving Morgan spies as well as people that would do anything for a small taste of power. The people in the systems were desperate and would do anything to sell their very souls to him. Mr. Barns was the best when it came to legal contracts.


Mr. Wells who was EJ casework and worked for family services as undercover spy or in his case a double agent working for the Council of Light to keep tabs on Morgan and his plans as he and Mr. Barns knelt in shadow, dressed in black ceremonials; robes as they gaze upon their master Morgan and his master Hess who has just freed from the Cross Bone Prison and has resurrected him, by Morgan providing a vassal to live in using dark and dangerous magic. Mr. Wells realized he needed to get back to the Council of Light and inform them of what Morgan has done.


His knees and hands shook with fear as he looks at the greatest evil coming to life. Watching Mr. Barns smile wickedly as he was called forth to bestow on him a trickle of his power and a new mission involving he and Mr. Barns to remove the boy EJ from the Downing’s and deliver him to Morgan. Plus kill his aunt Margaret for interfering with his plans. 


They both kneel before his king and lord. Wells shakes as he succumbs and waits his chance to flee. “It has begun the seals or now broken, and now it's up to you retrieve the boy they call EJ and bring him to me.” Hess laughs as his voice echoes across the mountain “Now go Morgan and arise, fear not the light for the Dark Prince will be yours,” replied the Shadow King.


“Yes, my Master.” They all replied as they humbly knelt then stand as they fade back to Morgan Domains.



* * *.

 


“YAH!, YAH!” Will, Richard and Robert watching Rodger and the boys gather some of the sheep into the corral. “Well, don't just sit there boy's, they won't bite… much,” Rodger said as he laughed. “Just make some noise like this swing your hat tap the rope, give them a light push. They'll go where you want them to like this…  “YAH! Yah!” As Rodger swinging his hat then tap's the rope at the side of his horse then guides the sheep into the corral. The boy's where off and running swing and yelling at the top of their lungs “YAH! YAH!” Swinging and taped their ropes having gay old time, herding the sheep into the corral. When the corral was full that is when the fun began or should say. Bah, bah black sheep have ye any wool.


Marty was on his 5th sheep by the time boys entered the barn. They were gasping watching as he takes a sheep from the pin hog ties him on the table, pulls out his knife cleans him slicker than butter on toast. Then he puts the fleece on the pile, letting the sheep go back into the pin to be released out into the field. He looks up and smiles for a minute, “I thought you boys got lost,” setting the knife down laughing. “Alright which of you wants to go first?” He said picking up the knife.


“You’re joking right?” The boys asked.


“Nope,” he replies as the boys started to back away.


Aunty M walks right behind them. “Come on boy's don't be shy,” pushing them forward, “theirs one for each of ya,” she said.


Marty hands Richard a knife, taking another knife. Marty nods to the pin keeper to give him a sheep. Marty takes the sheep shows Richard how to hog tie the sheep by flipping him over like so and so doesn't hurt him. “Then wrap his legs like this, take the knife start shaving at the base of the legs and work your way up and around the hind legs. Throw the fleece over like so, keep shaving like you would your own beard, with a razor. Providing you shave,” he said gazing over at Will and Robert smiling. “Then finish off at the other leg on the other side. “Walla,” one clean, cool sheep,” Marty replied.


Marty letting the sheep go into the pasture pin to join his friends, “Alright Richard your turn,” as he nods standing back from the table closing the pasture pin door. Richard gets hold of the sheep manages to flip him over tie two legs before the sheep squirms enough and jumps off the table, heads for the door. Marty and the boys catching the sheep around the pin area, flipping him over hog-tying him, bring him back to the table. Setting him down all nice gift wrapped for Richard with smiles on their faces. Marty opens the pin pasture door then points to the sheep.


“I believe he's ready,” he replies looking at the sheep all tied up laughing.


Richard takes the knife in his hand, trembling looking at the sheep. “What if I cut him too deep?” He said.


“Then he'll get very upset now, wouldn't he? Just pretend you are peeling a piece of fruit expects this one is live,” Marty said.


Richard starts to cut slowly, takes him 30 minutes to cut one fleece. When he got done it was not perfect, not bad if wanted to make a pair of gloves or inside of the lining of pockets. Let’s just say it was a holly sheep, a very holly sheep as he and the sheep went happily too pasture that day.


Will and Robert didn't do much better regarding in sheering, but at least they could hogtie. That's because they have had lots of practice in the field being on a farm. Pa and EJ made it back to the barn seeing the boys busy with their sheep. Pa smiling as he watched Will and Robert hog tie their sheep on the table walking over looking at their pile of fleece, shake his head picking up the fleece looking at the holes. Poking his fingers in them then rubbing his chin chuckling, Aunty M grabs his arm, “Wayne?” Looking at their work.  “I have a table for you right over here and job for EJ to right over here,” she said.


“EJ yours is to count all the fleece that is completed and keep track of the fleece. The good and the bad; plus the number of sheep we have done today, plus how many we have left in the corral,” handing EJ the clipboard setting him at a small desk.


Pa and the boys worked all day sheering why EJ counted sheep and fleece. Heck, he even did a couple himself with Pa's help of course. Pa would hog tie them and help him skin them, of course, it took longer, but they didn't care as long they got it done and the sheep were happy. They figured hey so what it had lots holes in it. It would grow back next season and someone got a nice pair of earmuffs this year.


They worked on the ranch for two days before returning home as they loaded up the pickup headed for home; they all had more clothes than they started with that's for sure. EJ hated too leave looking at the corral seeing the pony. He would have loved to take him for one more ride. Looking out the window as they were packing you could see the mountains and the desert. Yes, it was going to be nice to be home to a place where he doesn’t have run from anymore, but something felt wrong somewhere.


“Well, are you going take all day EJ? We need to get going.” Will called up the stairs.


“Sorry Will, I am coming?” EJ replied.


“Aren't you forgetting something?” Pa asked EJ.


“What Pa?” Aunty M getting in the pickup, “the pony you silly boy?”  She said as Pa loads the saddle in back of the pickup.


“You mean his mine, really mine?” EJ replied.


“Yes he's all yours son, now go help load him in the trailer so we can go.” The boys helped him load the pony in the trailer and hooked it on the back of the pickup and wave goodbye to the ranch. Handing the sign to Aunty M, putting the new one up Downing's Sheer's & Sheep Ranch to make it official. The boys yelling, “You y'all come back, ya hears and check on us ya hear,” waving their hats in the air. Marty in the driver seat, they headed for home plus one extra passenger behind them, swishing his tail out the back they were headed for home…





© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

75 Views
Added on February 14, 2019
Last Updated on January 18, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep