Chapter 13-1

Chapter 13-1

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 13-1


“That would be just fine Betty,” Mary said as she gazed down at the three little boys Sam, Danny, and Ted, “we would be glad to watch them for you,” Lizzy said.


“Thanks, Mary, Lizzy,” Grandma replied.


“Oh don't thank us just yet,” giving a rueful smile, “oh no,” as they looked at each other.


“You have been very mischievous sneaking off like you did last time. Without telling us where you were going, even if it was for a good cause.” Mary replied and Lizzy looking stern down upon her placing their hands on their hips. “That's why when you get back you are not leaving here, you will have plenty of work to do, oh yes. We will have a nice little cottage built just for you and Granny, she been looking for a roommate, in fact, we have one right here,” Mary said.


“Wouldn't you say Lizzy?” Mary asked.


“Oh yes, most defiantly,” Lizzy said taking the suitcase out of her hands.


“Now Betty take these three ladies out have a good time. Oh, I wouldn't buy any of the boy's clothes; it's been taken care of right down to their shoes.” Lizzy said handing Martha a list of the items the boys and Pa have already received. Martha reads the list then gasps with a tear in her eye at the bottom, 1 pony for EJ and a saddle.


She gives the list to Grandma to read she smiles putting her arm around Martha, “He’s doing just fine.” Taking the list, she puts in her purse “alright girl’s let’s go shopping” as they get into the car head down to Provo. Martha checks the tires, Grandma laughed, “Their fine dear, no funny business. Besides I' m all out of strangers and the stranger I know is off having a good time, where we should be. Now then let's go have a good time of our own shall we?” She said.


They shopped all day trying on all sorts of nice fancy dresses and dancing dresses, work, and play, school dresses. Bought some of each kind they even bought a pair of jeans something they have seen ladies and Aunty M wear. “What do think Ma? If our boys can dress like cowboys and Aunty M, why not us?” Julie said as they laughed, so they bought a hat shirt and belt with buckle to match.


Grandma laughing said, “heck why not?” Bought her a set too and a new pair of leather pants and one for Richard and a leather jacket and boots too match, and long white scarf as a surprise present for later.


Martha Laughed seeing the items Grandma was getting, “you are planning something aren't you Grandma?” She asked.


Just a little wind storm that's all dear, to help Danny and the boys.” Martha nods imaging of what she has in mind of a little storm nearly makes her gasp and giggling at the mere thought of a little wind storm she could have in mind.


They continued to shop throughout the day buying this and that, buying toys for the boys and some material to sew, to make more things and some play clothes for the three little boys. They stopped for a bite to eat at their favorite café. Remembering the time when Grandma let the air out of the tire just so they all could have a nice night out ending with a big surprise at the end.


What memories they would miss from that old farmhouse. Just think of the new ones they will create with the new one. She wonders yet still how they will fill it. She sighs gazing over at her two girls and Grandma thinking of her family. She just can't wait to see, knowing that house to will be filled with love and more. Will it be big enough she wonders? To hold it all and this may yet be the extra heart, she might need a third or more; thinking of all the little bare feet running through it patting her stomach looking at her two girls thinking about her boys. "Yes, I wouldn't trade none them for the world, I love every single one and every moment." They did little more shopping before returning back towards home...



* * *

 


Jim, I can not believe that woman, the nerve.” Linda replied. “Would you like to come in have some tea so we get acquitted she says as I watch your child play with my kids. Ooooh, first she thinks she can steal one from me and now the other right under my nose in plain sight. The only reason they let me in the house in the first place because he wasn't there. Oh no. You won't believe this… he was out seeing the world on pleasure cruise at some lumber mill and sheep ranch for a week in his condition. Some mother she is, I can't believe they would even think she would make a better mother than me.


“It's just not fair I tell you Jim the state got to be out of their minds making them foster parents, allowing these stupid guidelines. Why do you think we need to be supervised?” Linda said rereading the letter, “after all this time and by them. We did nothing wrong it's all those bad genes I tell you, if only they would have just left things alone.”  Linda punching the pillow; “this all you are fault you know it,” then tosses the paper at him.


“If you would have just found him in the first place, brought him home we could have avoided this whole mess and he would have learned too keep his mouth shut and stop running away. Then we wouldn't have all these problems. It's those bad genes, why couldn't he be more like his sisters?” As she sighs, “my two angels, yes Jim this is your fault and those bad genes and it's up to me to fix it again. She wants a war? Well, this spider is the queen of war and I'm spinning my web… now leave me alone I've got work to do.”



* * *

 


Pa and the boys return back to New Downing to finding the town has increased in size unlike Downing Villa it resembles an actual town with little shops with wooden side's. In fact, they have built a second story bridge that went across and over to the other side, with miniature shops and cottages on the roofs. There were hitching post along the street for the horses and buggies and the street lights were just being placed. It was like a little wooden boardwalk square with little wooden signs dangling from the shops and painted windows storefronts showing off their wares. The people would wave and great them as they passed yelling, “Welcome back Sheriff,” and tipping their hats to them. Soon the word was out that they were back and music started to play in the street.


A parade started with the new Mayor and Sheriff of New Downing leading the way. The Sheriff and his boy are all decked out in there new duds the Sheriff, of course, wearing his best Kitenge. Oh, how it glistened when the sun hit it and when he moved with all his necklace and beads. His two sons Frank and Mark at his side with his wife Rena marching along beside him on the other side. The Mayor dressed as a framer in nice pair of overalls and his wife right beside him and Mrs. Collins and grandson dressed as a simple framer boy right beside her. Yes, it was a welcome home parade that's for sure, but aren't we missing few people?


“Oh, there they are Pa over there,” as EJ points on the stand waving as the people clear the way. Pa the boys can see Ma, and their two sisters, Danny, Ted and Sam sitting with Mary and Lizzy, but where are Doc and Grandma and Steve? Robert and Will helped EJ with his crutches up on the stand.


Danny, Sam, and Ted rush up and giving him a big hug, Danny gives him an extra one. Whispers in his ear, “Grandma still here, but I'm not supposed to tell,” and then runs back to his seat by his aunts looking sheepish.


The Mayor of New Downing brings everything to order banging his gavel on the podium. The Mayor raises his arms to hush the crowd, pulls out his notes from his breast pocket and unfolds them.


“We are all gathered here today,” As the Mayor gazes over at Wayne and his boys in their seats. 


“We all know why to welcome you home that's why,” as someone yells from the crowd.


“Yes. Yes, of course” as he and the Mayor laughs, everyone laughs with whistles in the crowd. Mayor bangs his gavel to bring order to the crowd raising his arms and pauses... As he waited for them then goes on. “On this auspicious occasion, we like to give an award the key to this here town to Sheriff Downing and his family. We like to thank them for their generosity, hospitality and their kindliness to all our simple farmer folk. May our love and devotion for them in our hearts never waver?” As the Mayor placed and hands a plaque with a key on it to Sheriff Downing and gives each a metal of honor; as his wife placing it around their neck with a firm handshake while striking up the band playing chicken in the straw.


“Let the festivities begin,” as fireworks and canons shoot off in the air little tiny paper ribbons and banners unfold from the balcony of the second story buildings and bridges. People shouted everywhere, “Welcome home Sheriff Downing, Will, Robert Richard, and EJ.”


There were so many people there they couldn't begin to count them all.  EJ looking into the crowd trying to find Grandma, and Doc, Danny said she was still here but where? Pa picking him up and putting him on his shoulders to keep him from getting knocked around. Trying to find a safe place to set him, where he could watch and still be apart of the celebration.


Decided the best place to put him was on the pony. So Robert went to the stable retrieved him Pa sat him on the pony while Robert and Will led him around the crowd, placing Danny right beside him, having Sam and Ted, ride on Roberts's shoulders and Richards' shoulders. With Ma right beside Pa with her arms around his waist and EJ’s two sisters Julie and Anna on the other side. What more could a boy ask for than this? EJ was home and this was his family he knew where he belonged.


“Pa was right it was time to stop running,” as EJ looked down the road. “There may be a storm coming, but I trust him. If Pa says they can handle it then they can.” Pa and Ma lead them home to their little cottage. It was not as nice as their farmhouse was, but nice enough. When they arrived at the cottage they find Grandma and Steve and Doc waiting inside. Stringum was just finishing up setting things up with some of the local boys from New Downing and little extra surprise, Stringum said. “Just adding onto the cottage making it bigger,” as Ma wiped tears from her eyes seeing all the beds, and the extra bedroom, plus a small kitchen.


It wasn't much, but was enough for them and will get them by at least until the house is built and they all have beds to sleep in. The boys all in bunk beds, Ma still won't let the three little ones in those. Has them sleeping, sharing one big bed and girls share a bed as well. It may be crowded and hardly have any privacy, but they don't mind as they all climb into bed drawing the curtain between them as for their rooms.


“Now then EJ what do say we have look at you, see if can remove those stitches and putting those crutches way?” Doc asked.


“Yes Doc that would be nice,” EJ said looking at those stupid crutches. Ma and Grandma draw the curtain Doc looks him over starts to remove the stitches. “Not bad, not bad at all just little infection, but I think it will clear up,” he said.


“Martha I still want him to wear that kitenge at night, but other light clothing during the day. We need let that skin breathe a bit more,” Doc said looking at the red mark patches where clothes been rubbing. “Now does this hurt when I press here?” Doc asked.


“No,” EJ replies

 

“Good how about here?” Doc asked.


“Ooooh, just little bit,” EJ replies.


“Still tinder well that's expected, other than the bruise are fading and a few scars which will fade in time. I say let’s get you back on you are feet and put those silly things away, but I still want you to take it easy for a while at least. I'll see you in a few days. Now then Martha, how're my other two patents doing?” Doc asked turning to face Martha then looked at her and her stomach


“Just fine Doc.”

 

“You been drink lots of fresh milk?” He asked Martha nods “yes.”


“Eating plenty I hope?” He asked.

 

“Yes, Doc we’re all fine.”


“Good, then I'll see you in few days too,” as he picks up his bag and leaves. 


Ma helps EJ with his clothes puts on the cotton Kitenge, “thanks Ma,” as she kisses his forehead hugs him placed his shoes under the bed. ”Ma what did he mean by the two patents?”


“Oh I thought you knew EJ,” Ma replied, “we are going to have a baby,” hugs him one more time. “Now then let's go down to supper shall we?” Helping him off the bed handing him his crutches, EJ hands them back to her stands, looks at her right in the eye.


“Ma I am done running,” gives her hug and kiss on her cheek and starts to head for the door leaving her standing there, as he limped a little out the door with his brothers at his side and little Danny holding his hand. Ma and Pa right behind them with a tear in her eye because she was so happy to have everyone home at last. What more could a mother ask for?


They could hear music up ahead towards the celebration as they walked, people were everywhere. Marty and Aunty M clearing a spot for them to sit and join them at the table, “come on folks let them through, let them through,” yelling at the top of her lungs over the crowd. After she got everyone at the table she was happy as clam seeing all of them together, all three aunts, 1 grandmother, and both uncles. She won't mention the third they all disprove of him.  All 6 brothers and two sisters, yes sir they were a group.


Especially when ya count one more due sometime next spring EJ thinks looking over at Ma and Pa.  And if you are good at counting sheep and lumber like EJ was, that means they might need a pretty big table for Thanksgiving. Yes, sir'ery bob because the makes it a total of 17 counting on his fingers and his toes because he did leave his shoes at home right where they belong. Come to think of it they all did even Pa. That's strange EJ looking under the table seeing 2 more of pair of shoes where Marty and Steve were sitting. I guess there is a little simple framer in all them.


“Well EJ or you just going sit there all day or you gonna dance?”  Aunty M asked taking EJ by the hand.


“No Ma’am let’s dance.”


They danced awhile taking it slow, it was hard not to stumble now then. They all understood, of course, Ma was watching him closely with hand to her chest most of the time when he came close to falling. Pa whispering, “don’t worry he'll be fine dear,” gives her kiss and hug every time. With eyes watching and smiling of how proud he was of his son.


Each of aunts and his Grandma danced with him. Then his two sisters Julie and Anna got a chance to. That was more than they could ever hope for. Leaning down giving him hug and kiss and he hugs them back, whispering in their ear, “I love you, sis,” kissing them on their cheeks, making them blush with a tear in their eye. What more could a sister ask for than this?


Then it was Ma's turn to dance, the dance he was waiting for all night. To make this night complete and special for a lifetime of memories and more as he takes Ma by the hand across the dance floor. Wrapping his arms around her waist as he looked into her loving eyes as they sparkle like diamonds in the moonlight, oh how much he has grown too love her, too trust her. This is his mother and he could think of no other. “Ma I've made my decision and I believe I am ready, let's do it,” he said.


“Do what son?” She asked him.


“Those papers you were talking about. Let’s make me a Downing because I love you, this were I belong,” he said with a kiss and hug leaves her standing there.  


Ma watched her son go with a tear in her eye whispers back, “I love you to son.” With tears rolling down her cheeks, to her he was already her son. She already loved him with all her heart as her own. Now the hard part comes, the war between the loin and the beast because she wants her cub for her own when beast known as his mother doesn't really want him at all. Knowing that she had given him away so many times, and only wants him as a piece of property, so others like her self, can’t have him. Not because she loves him but because she and her husband Jim cannot stand to let him be happy.



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

56 Views
Added on February 14, 2019
Last Updated on January 18, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep